Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 40 years ago today......  (Read 2221 times)

Offline UAClassof81

• Boar
  • Squeeze my lemon.....
40 years ago today......
« on: January 02, 2018, 09:15:57 AM »
On January 2, 1978, the Razorbacks ripped the OU Sooners a new one in the Orange Bowl, led by first-year coach Lou Holtz. The score was 31-6 and wasn't even that close. If seeing OU choke yesterday wasn't enough, you can relive the massacre at: .  That Hog defense was huge and relentless and completely dominated Billy Sims, Thomas Lott, and Elvis Peacock.  We even did it without our starting running backs and All-American offensive lineman. One of the truly great Razorback wins!  Woo Pig Sooie!

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• King of the Hogs
Re: 40 years ago today......
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »
From yesterday's ADG:

Day to remember

1978 Orange Bowl one for books
By DAVID WILSON SPECIAL TO THE DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

Editor’s note: Tuesday is the 40th anniversary of the Razorbacks’ Orange Bowl upset.

In the summer of 1979 I was 17 years old and attending a Fellowship of Christian Athletes camp on the campus of the University of Arkansas.

On one afternoon at camp some friends and I were exploring Razorback Stadium. I’m sure we weren’t supposed to be in the facility that housed the football coaches’ offices (at that time on the north end of the stadium), but we were.

When I walked by a door with a name plate that read “Coach Lou Holtz,” I began to look around, thinking at any time someone might come up and tell us that we couldn’t be in there.

Down the hallway was a very impressive photo that reached from the floor to the ceiling. It featured the first play from scrimmage in the 1978 Orange Bowl, a game in which Arkansas upset the Oklahoma Sooners 31-6.

In the photo was Oklahoma’s Billy Sims, who would eventually win the Heisman Trophy, and he was buried under a pile of 10 Razorback tacklers. The caption simply read, “The job of being an Arkansas Razorback is not given to the timid or the weak.”

As an Arkansas teenager who had just completed his junior year of high school, it felt like being in a sacred Razorback shrine.

I remember watching the 1978 Orange Bowl on television as a 10th-grader just 19 months earlier, and I remember how excited I was to see the opening play that was featured in the photo, a play in which an Oklahoma runner disappeared under an avalanche of Hog defenders.

It set the tone for a game that turned out to be an overwhelming upset of an Oklahoma team that was ranked second in the country.

It’s hard to believe, but on Jan. 2 it will be 40 years since that game.

Holtz had suspended three of the team’s biggest stars before the 1978 Orange Bowl, prompting the odds-makers to make the Hogs 18.5-point underdogs, even though Arkansas had finished the regular schedule with a 10-1 record and was ranked sixth in the nation. Its only setback was a 13-9 loss to top-ranked Texas.

Nevertheless, in the days leading up to the Orange Bowl, the projected point spread grew even more, and in Las Vegas they took the game completely off the boards.

In his book Winning Every Day, Holtz described how Arkansas held a team meeting just four days before the game.

The Razorbacks had heard all the stories in the media about how they had no chance to win the game, and it was taking a toll.

Holtz said, “We’ve read all the reasons why we can’t win. I want to hear why we can.”

The team thought of the positives, pointing out that their defense was ranked first in the nation. The offensive line was also very good. Quarterback Ron Calcagni was a fierce competitor and team leader. Kicker and punter Steve Little was probably the best in the country.

Holtz wrote, “The more the players talked, the more positive they became. … I almost felt sorry for our opponents.”

After that, Arkansas hit the field on Jan. 2 with a resolve that would produce incredible results.

It began with Arkansas kicking off into the end zone, forcing Oklahoma to begin on its own 20-yard line. Then, on the first play from scrimmage, the Arkansas defense roared to life.

The Sooners handed the ball to fullback Kenny King. He was hit at the line and fumbled; Sims grabbed the ball, and was then crushed in a pile of white Razorback jerseys.

It made for a heck of a photo, the one I would see in Razorback Stadium during FCA camp more than a year and a half later.

Holtz reflected upon the game’s beginning many years afterwards. “We had 10 players in on the play,” he said. “I had never seen a group swarm like that.”

Arkansas’ enthusiasm led the Hogs to a convincing win. In fact, it was so convincing that after the contest, Arkansas was one of the few college football teams that had a legitimate claim to being ranked No. 1.

NBC game announcers Jim Simpson and Merlin Olsen discussed the issue as Arkansas established a 24-0 lead in the Orange Bowl’s third quarter.

With Little getting ready to kick off for the Razorbacks and the Arkansas crowd calling the Hogs in the background, Simpson said, “Alabama is sitting there thinking, ‘Maybe we’ll be the national champions.’ Penn State is hoping so. Texas, beaten today, hopes so. Notre Dame, who beat Texas, hopes so. But if this score holds up, Arkansas is going to hold up its hand and say, ‘Hey folks, what about us?’ They would be 11-1, and would’ve knocked off the No. 2 team.”

As it turned out, the Associated Press ranked Notre Dame No. 1, Alabama second, Arkansas third, Texas fourth, and Penn State fifth. It wasn’t a national championship for the Razorbacks, but 40 years ago, being ranked third in the country was still a great way to finish.

Offline razorwire

• Boar
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:43:15 AM »
Thank you Boyd (RIP) for the free tickets.

Offline madbackers

• A Shoat
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
sad that we have to go back so many years to find the great hog teams, shows how far we have fallen with nutt then bielema

Online Son_of_Spam

• Weird turning pro
  • King of the Hogs
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 10:12:03 AM »
Roland Sales ran through them like shit through a shoe horn. This game and the bowl where we beat Georgia 16-2 was two of our greatest. I remember both, and in the Georgia game, we were a very small, light team but out quicked Georgia almost every play. There was a picture in the paper that showed nearly every defensive lineman in Georgia's backfield on one play. Man, I wish those times would return.

The room looked like the site of some horrible zoological experiment involving whiskey and gorillas....

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 11:02:52 AM »
That '77 team had one hellacious defense.  It held #1 texas and #2 OU to one TD each.

In addition to the suspensions for Cowins, Forrest, and Duckworth, and the injury of offensive guard Leotis Harris (six years with Green Bay) keeping him out of the game, people forget that the starting nose guard, Dale White (of Benton?), missed the last few games of the regular season and the Orange Bowl.  Reggie Freeman was his back up and won the Outstanding Lineman award for the Orange Bowl (Sales was the Outstanding Back).

That's how deep that team was.  And the defense would flat out put a hurt on folks. 

For folks curious why Holtz's last four seasons at Arkansas weren't as good as his first three, the first three years Monte Kiffin was defensive coordinator.  To me that remains the biggest assistant coach hire Arkansas has ever made.  Kiffin, in addition to running the Black Shirts for Devaney and Osborn, actually played at Nebraska.  I still don't know how we hired him away from them unless Kiffin maybe thought getting out of Lincoln would increase his chances of getting a head coaching gig.

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
I can't find the details anymore but Holtz designed a play based on studying OU film that got Sales the bulk of his yards. He noticed their defensive line was quick but they always keyed off the offensive tackle's first movement. So he designed a play where our OT would take the first step in one direction but then go in the opposite direction. He said it would only work one game because it could be figured out later. OU never figured it out that night.

Offline ElvisHog

• Where have you gone Walter Cronkite, and why have you been replaced by the likes of woopig.net?
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 12:34:37 PM »
Highlights.

Offline Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 01:20:31 PM »
Highlights.

Needed a little more tin foil on those rabbit ears.

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Supersonic sleeping bag.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 02:26:21 PM »
Closer in time to the nazis invasion of Poland than today. My sentence sucks, but I think the math is right.

Offline Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 02:51:14 PM »
Closer in time to the nazis invasion of Poland than today. My sentence sucks, but I think the math is right.

Germany invaded Poland on September 1, 1939.  So, that would be roughly 38 years and 4 months prior to the Orange Bowl.

You're good at the math stuff.

Offline bigghurtt

• Sockpuppet of an angry god
  • King of the Hogs
  • Prying open, my brown eye...wait...damnit.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »

I wasn’t alive yet – the universe literally didn’t exist.

This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 04:33:52 PM »
Highlights.

Reception reminded me of looking for showtime boobs

Been awhile since we tackled like that

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • Kentucky Sucks!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 08:13:51 PM »
Huge upset - no one gave em a chance.
Also why Switzer ran it up in the next bowl meeting.

Haters gonna hate

Offline Snorts

• Boar
  • 7 Screaming Diz Busters
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 09:25:31 AM »
I went to the game.  Lots and lots of things went on before that game, mostly about how badly Ok was going to kick our asses.  They had torched no 11 Nebraska on Natl TV their last game, we had barely beaten Texas Tech on ABC, so the impression was they were on a roll and we were stagnant.  Add in the 3 players suspended and Leotis Harris, our All American RG getting hurt, its no wonder were were a big underdog.

We had a common opponent, Texass.  We lost 13-9, OU lost 13-6. 

We watched a lot of local Miami TV before the game, and the OU players were dismissive of the Razorbacks.  I remember one show where Thomas Lott, the OU QB showed his collection of headbands.  As OU pulled further and further ahead he was going to change headbands.  Or, that was his plan.  Some OU player claimed that no Razorbacks could make OU's starting lineup.  There seemed to be no coverage of us at all, only stuff about OU and their overpowering team.
Edit:  At some point late in the game the D tore a bit of Lott's headband off and was waving it around on the sideline as a trophy.  The Crowd went wild.

I had a friend who played on the OL.  He corroborates TOWMs story about tricking the OU linebackers. 

The OU fans were dismissive of us before the game, totally arrogant.  After the game you couldn't find the sonsabitches.  They had slunk out sometime in the 4th.  All the way home on the CB radio you heard them whining.  You also began to hear of the rumor that Switzer was banging AHC/DC Larry Lacewells wife.  He did leave after that year for the HC job at Arkansas State.

Lacewell does tell a great story about the game.  According to him, Switzer was also dismissive of the Hogs.  Lacewell knew better, and he tried over and over to get Barry to look at some film.  He couldn't get him in the film room until they arrived in Miami.  According to Lacewell, Switzer watched 5 minutes, switched on the lights and left the room, pale as a ghost.

Oh, the greatest halftime ever.  Flashlights and colored lenses were for sale, and the crowd joined in the light show.  I think the above videos have a bit of the footage.  It was truly amazing.
Edit#3.  UAClassof81's video has it starting around 1:49.

About the best Hog road trip imaginable.  We were a truly outstanding team that year.
Edit #2.  One of the Miami newspapers, the Herald I believe (I have it somewhere) led of with a massive headline:  WOO PIG SOOIE!  ARKANSAS SLAMS OKLAHOMA!  It talked about "a 205 stick of dynamite named Roland Sales" putting it to the Sooners.  Sorry for the edits, but the good memories just keep coming.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:35:01 AM by Snorts »
Just ask the Axis

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 10:04:11 AM »
I went to the game.  Lots and lots of things went on before that game, mostly about how badly Ok was going to kick our asses.  They had torched no 11 Nebraska on Natl TV their last game, we had barely beaten Texas Tech on ABC, so the impression was they were on a roll and we were stagnant.  Add in the 3 players suspended and Leotis Harris, our All American RG getting hurt, its no wonder were were a big underdog.

We had a common opponent, Texass.  We lost 13-9, OU lost 13-6. 

We watched a lot of local Miami TV before the game, and the OU players were dismissive of the Razorbacks.  I remember one show where Thomas Lott, the OU QB showed his collection of headbands.  As OU pulled further and further ahead he was going to change headbands.  Or, that was his plan.  Some OU player claimed that no Razorbacks could make OU's starting lineup.  There seemed to be no coverage of us at all, only stuff about OU and their overpowering team.
Edit:  At some point late in the game the D tore a bit of Lott's headband off and was waving it around on the sideline as a trophy.  The Crowd went wild.

I had a friend who played on the OL.  He corroborates TOWMs story about tricking the OU linebackers. 

The OU fans were dismissive of us before the game, totally arrogant.  After the game you couldn't find the sonsabitches.  They had slunk out sometime in the 4th.  All the way home on the CB radio you heard them whining.  You also began to hear of the rumor that Switzer was banging AHC/DC Larry Lacewells wife.  He did leave after that year for the HC job at Arkansas State.

Lacewell does tell a great story about the game.  According to him, Switzer was also dismissive of the Hogs.  Lacewell knew better, and he tried over and over to get Barry to look at some film.  He couldn't get him in the film room until they arrived in Miami.  According to Lacewell, Switzer watched 5 minutes, switched on the lights and left the room, pale as a ghost.

Oh, the greatest halftime ever.  Flashlights and colored lenses were for sale, and the crowd joined in the light show.  I think the above videos have a bit of the footage.  It was truly amazing.
Edit#3.  UAClassof81's video has it starting around 1:49.

About the best Hog road trip imaginable.  We were a truly outstanding team that year.
Edit #2.  One of the Miami newspapers, the Herald I believe (I have it somewhere) led of with a massive headline:  WOO PIG SOOIE!  ARKANSAS SLAMS OKLAHOMA!  It talked about "a 205 stick of dynamite named Roland Sales" putting it to the Sooners.  Sorry for the edits, but the good memories just keep coming.

Somewhere in my Hog memorabilia I have an Orange Bowl Scrapbook that was put out by the Gazette after the game.  It assembled a lot of the best articles from before and after the game from the Gazette as well as papers from Miami and Oklahoma.  At the next year's Red/White game in LR I was able to get it autographed by many football players and basketball players from the final four team. 

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
  • Jump Back, Kiss Myself!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 10:58:23 AM »
Somewhere in my Hog memorabilia I have an Orange Bowl Scrapbook that was put out by the Gazette after the game.  It assembled a lot of the best articles from before and after the game from the Gazette as well as papers from Miami and Oklahoma.  At the next year's Red/White game in LR I was able to get it autographed by many football players and basketball players from the final four team.
Actually the scrapbook was put together by Jerry Russell, the dad of a friend. Jerry was a political consultant famous or infamous for jingles (PIn a Rose on me for Bob Rosamond in NLR comes to mind).  He put together the Orange Bowl Scrapbook from newspapers from Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Miami.
It's really cool that your copy was autographed. Wish I'd have thought about that.

Offline allswell

• A Shoat
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »
Roland Sales ran through them like shit through a shoe horn. This game and the bowl where we beat Georgia 16-2 was two of our greatest. I remember both, and in the Georgia game, we were a very small, light team but out quicked kicked Georgia almost every play. There was a picture in the paper that showed nearly every defensive lineman in Georgia's backfield on one play. Man, I wish those times would return.

fify

bob white

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 02:04:04 PM »
This era of Razorback football is something that I don't think younger and newer fans understand. During my primary and secondary education years, Arkansas was a legitimate national football power. For my secondary years, we were a basketball power also. It hasn't always sucked being a hog fan.

1977-78 may have been the greatest of years to be a fan. Holtz and Eddie were in their primes... I'm headed outside now to guard my front lawn.  :2bird:

Here's to growing up in an Empire during the decadent years!

Official motto of Woopig P&R board "Wear a cup tl;dr"

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »
This era of Razorback football is something that I don't think younger and newer fans understand. During my primary and secondary education years, Arkansas was a legitimate national football power. For my secondary years, we were a basketball power also. It hasn't always sucked being a hog fan.

1977-78 may have been the greatest of years to be a fan. Holtz and Eddie were in their primes... I'm headed outside now to guard my front lawn.  :2bird:

That was my freshman year. #3 in the country in both football and basketball.  Reggie Freeman and Roland Sales used to come over and play spades with me and friends. Sometimes they'd bring Barnabas White with them.  They had a pretty good bowl game.

Sophomore year tied UCLA in the Fiesta Bowl, Regional Final in BB, and #2 in the CWS.

We didn't always suck.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:38:14 PM by ArkGuy »
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline razorwire

• Boar
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 08:29:02 AM »
Stayed with my sister in Miami.  Remember the OKie fans acting like assholes on the local news every night.  Meanwhile, the Razorback fans were making hog sand castles on Miami Beach and have a great time.   I knew we had them right there.

As we were leaving town the next day, the lady at the Sunshine Parkway toll booth congratulated us on having a great game.   

Offline Hogeye_Pierce

• Boar
  • Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 09:46:58 AM »
Yep. And the next Spring we played for the NC in baseball in Omaha. Heady times indeed and I, being the teenager I was, took it all for granted. Sure wish I had appreciated it more back then. Just thought that was the way it would be from then on.  NOW look where we are. :( :'(

Offline Won Nutt Hung Lo

• Tush Hog
  • Need an apartment?
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 10:20:21 AM »
I watched the video posted above of the game yesterday.  I missed the first half traveling to Colorado for a ski trip.  I had forgotten that Hooten Dale played in a couple of series.

That was a special time to be a Razorback fan.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• King of the Hogs
  • What Kate Does...to me.
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 11:21:35 AM »
I had forgotten that Hooten Dale played in a couple of series.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!  Keep it down!

That's NOT the way Dale tells it to his (undoubtedly illegitimate) grandchildren.

Offline razorwire

• Boar
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 03:30:44 PM »
Yep. And the next Spring we played for the NC in baseball in Omaha. Heady times indeed and I, being the teenager I was, took it all for granted. Sure wish I had appreciated it more back then. Just thought that was the way it would be from then on.  NOW look where we are. :( :'(
Yep.  Sitting in Herman's when that blew up.