Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 2018 PGA  (Read 25533 times)

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
Re: 2018 PGA
« Reply #475 on: August 14, 2018, 05:46:04 AM »
Hogan damn near died.  Eldrick's issues were self inflicted.  His Navy Seals training wrecked his body.

That said, Augusta, Pebble and Bethpage Black are home to three of next year's majors.  Seems like if he was destined to win another major, then next year would be his best shot.

I'll take Dufner.

Online TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #476 on: August 14, 2018, 09:01:15 AM »
Ben Hogan was awesomeness, though he had the demeanor of maybe slightly more amenable than Ty Cobb.  Byron Nelson was the likeable one.In his later years he would sit at the first tee at River Oaks in Ft Worth heckling the amateurs.  A friend was a member and we played golf there once.  Ben, being the Texas hero of mine, and seeing Glenn Ford in his movie as a youngster inspired my interest in golf, I nervously addressed the ball and skullfucked it barely past the ladies tees.  Hogan called me a pussy. 

Offline Razorback Jedi

• Tush Hog
« Reply #477 on: August 14, 2018, 09:08:23 AM »
Regardless of his woes being self-induced, or otherwise, it's still a remarkable comeback story. When he wins again, it'll become one of the great comebacks.

If you haven't read the latest book on Woods, go read it. I used to loathe the guy, but after reading the book I realized that his dad was the psychopath, not Tiger. Tiger never stood a chance at a normal life with the way his dad raised him.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #478 on: August 14, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
4 straight somehow actually thought that I thought a 9 iron by a model and a Greyhound bus were exactly the same.

What happened to this board?   ???
The problem isn't the board.
It's you.

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline abypfcs

• King of the Hogs
  • Both my favorite teams are underdogs.
    • YPFCS
« Reply #479 on: August 14, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
He can win at Augusta or PGA. Not sure he can do it at a US Open. I think he can get 1-2 more wins in the next 5 years. Certainly the greatest ever. Jack wouldn’t come close to 18 majors in today’s game.
I do agree, given the equipment technology and the competition of this era, Tiger has passed what Nicklaus did.  Very hard comparing different eras.  I have always maintained that if all were playing forged irons, persimmon woods, and balata balls, Tiger would have been even more dominant.

Oh, and I have facetiously compared Hogan's car accident to that of Tiger Woods.

I am not a Tiger fan, but respect what he has done.  I actually, now found myself even pulling for him.
I also do hate when he gets TV coverage when he is 10 strokes off the lead, and they are missing relevant players in a tournament.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• King of the Hogs
  • The sweetest nectar
« Reply #480 on: August 14, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
4 straight somehow actually thought that I thought a 9 iron by a model and a Greyhound bus were exactly the same.

What happened to this board?   ???

What happened is we stopped having a Douchapalooza. 

Offline Son_of_Spam

• Weird turning pro
  • King of the Hogs
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die.
« Reply #481 on: August 14, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
I do agree, given the equipment technology and the competition of this era, Tiger has passed what Nicklaus did.  Very hard comparing different eras.  I have always maintained that if all were playing forged irons, persimmon woods, and balata balls, Tiger would have been even more dominant.

Oh, and I have facetiously compared Hogan's car accident to that of Tiger Woods.

I am not a Tiger fan, but respect what he has done.  I actually, now found myself even pulling for him.
I also do hate when he gets TV coverage when he is 10 strokes off the lead, and they are missing relevant players in a tournament.
Same here and I believe that is why Koepka went ahead and putted out and blew off everything else. He even stated that everyone was pulling for Woods. The winners do 't even get followed when Tiger is 10 shots out.

The room looked like the site of some horrible zoological experiment involving whiskey and gorillas....

Online The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #482 on: August 14, 2018, 12:53:43 PM »
Ben Hogan was awesomeness, though he had the demeanor of maybe slightly more amenable than Ty Cobb.  Byron Nelson was the likeable one.In his later years he would sit at the first tee at River Oaks in Ft Worth heckling the amateurs.  A friend was a member and we played golf there once.  Ben, being the Texas hero of mine, and seeing Glenn Ford in his movie as a youngster inspired my interest in golf, I nervously addressed the ball and skullfucked it barely past the ladies tees.  Hogan called me a pussy.

That’s awesome. 

Offline Thin Red Swine

• King of the Hogs
  • The sweetest nectar

Offline capnthog

• Poorly qualified to represent the LBC.
  • Boar
« Reply #484 on: August 19, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »
I don’t understand how these guys with the long putters are getting past the ban on anchoring. Or how other players aren’t raising hell.

You can’t see really if most of them are anchoring or not.  Unless you’re watching this David Hearn guy that is near the lead this weekend.  You can see he is most defintitly anchoring the putter.

/rant

Eat me.

Offline abypfcs

• King of the Hogs
  • Both my favorite teams are underdogs.
    • YPFCS
« Reply #485 on: August 19, 2018, 02:22:55 PM »
I don’t understand how these guys with the long putters are getting past the ban on anchoring. Or how other players aren’t raising hell.

You can’t see really if most of them are anchoring or not.  Unless you’re watching this David Hearn guy that is near the lead this weekend.  You can see he is most defintitly anchoring the putter.

/rant
I do think the change in the rule was not needed, but agree that it seems hard if not impossible to tell if the putter is being anchored.  Some players you can see the putter is away from the chest, but others (Scott McCaron in particular) can't tell.  Of course, the rule states, I believe, that if the putter accidentally touches there is no penalty.

If the method was that big of an advantage, all would be using it.  I remember in the 60's when Bob Duden started the croquet style putting, and it got outlawed and the USGA reasoning was that it did not LOOK LIKE a golf stroke.  Of course, Sam Snead simply adjusted to a side saddle approach to avoid the ruling.

Oh, I tried the croquet style and couldn't do it.  The rule was outlawed by prohibiting straddling your line of the putt and also banned the putter from having a bend in the shaft more than 4 or 5 inches above the sole of the putter.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:26:15 PM by abypfcs »

Offline chrchoswinentology

• A Shoat
« Reply #486 on: August 19, 2018, 03:54:22 PM »
I do think the change in the rule was not needed, but agree that it seems hard if not impossible to tell if the putter is being anchored.  Some players you can see the putter is away from the chest, but others (Scott McCaron in particular) can't tell.  Of course, the rule states, I believe, that if the putter accidentally touches there is no penalty.

If the method was that big of an advantage, all would be using it.  I remember in the 60's when Bob Duden started the croquet style putting, and it got outlawed and the USGA reasoning was that it did not LOOK LIKE a golf stroke.  Of course, Sam Snead simply adjusted to a side saddle approach to avoid the ruling.

Oh, I tried the croquet style and couldn't do it.  The rule was outlawed by prohibiting straddling your line of the putt and also banned the putter from having a bend in the shaft more than 4 or 5 inches above the sole of the putter.

You sent me down a rabbit hole.  Interesting stuff. 
https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/sidesaddle-putting-why-sam-sneads-method-might-be-post-anchoing-future-putting

Offline Po Pimp

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #487 on: Today at 06:40:08 AM »
That’s awesome.

Would have been even better if he threw his driver down and yelled “You want some of this, old man?”