Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: OMGSaban: Is the Top Gun of Football  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Trigger7672

• Boar
Re: OMGSaban
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 07:43:08 PM »
I think this is a misnomer. EVERY recruit he goes after can go to any school he wants. When he is competing for a kid he is always competing against the top schools in the country and most of the time he is trying to get that kid to travel farther to go to his school than the school he is competing with. Look at Tua, that kid should be at USC but somehow Saban gets him to fly half way around the world to come play at Alabama, and he's not even known for his QB's.

They said last night Tua committed to Bama only after Fromm decommitted. So I think he just got lucky on that one.

Online BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »
Unbeliveably, they were both on the same staff at Cleveland in '94 and finished 11-5.
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/history/year-by-year-results/1994.html

that is the best that turd can be polished
Drives in the left lane with the hammer down.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 07:56:06 PM »
He has the advantage of not having to recruit very hard. All the 5 stars want to go there so all he has to do is cull what he doesn't want. Makes a big difference.

He may not have to but what makes him great is that he still does do all the work.  What makes him great is that he knows  which kids to recruit and which not to recruit (just like Belichik) .  He will not kowtow to a recruit (and many 4 and 5 stars these days have been so overpumped by the recruiting press that they have a oversized ego and sense of entitlement) and will not tolerate kids who don't seem capable of putting the work into compete in his program. This is something many coaches these days fail miserably at, and we know Hootie and Bielema would suck a mule dick to get a chance at a top prospect.

Online Mike Slive

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 07:56:15 PM »
He has the advantage of not having to recruit very hard. All the 5 stars want to go there so all he has to do is cull what he doesn't want. Makes a big difference.

If I was a Bama fan, I’d be like... hell yea bring in the fucking backups.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 08:06:21 PM »
Unbeliveably, they were both on the same staff at Cleveland in '94 and finished 11-5.
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/history/year-by-year-results/1994.html

counterpoint: that was Cleveland before the move to Baltimore.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline hit_that_line

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 08:26:04 PM »
He strikes me as a guy whose entire life is coaching football and won’t retire unless health reasons arise.  I hope to hell like I’m wrong or he eats too much bacon and drinks heavily.
He does eat Little Debbie’s every day for breakfast. The diabeetus might take him
"You're hurt son? Shit just because my dick hurts doesn't mean I quit fucking."

Online bleedinred

• Boar
  • Member #1 - Chad Morris Darksider Club (12/4/17)
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 08:29:02 PM »
He does eat Little Debbie’s every day for breakfast. The diabeetus might take him

Now that you’ve weighed in with a prediction I think it’s safe to say he will live to a hundred.  O0

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Supersonic sleeping bag.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 08:29:57 PM »
Everybody gets 85 scholarships. Some are better than others at evaluating what they have and getting them on the field ready to play.

Offline billy_ocean_fan

• Every Ladies Dream...
  • Wild Hog
  • ...a soft pecker and a hard head.
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 08:39:16 PM »
Everybody gets 85 scholarships.

Only one coach gets 85 Dodge Chargers though.  T.B.H.

Offline Count Porkula

• Doctor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ya mo be there?
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 08:49:38 PM »
Only one coach gets 85 Dodge Chargers though.  T.B.H.

his players don't break down and smoke on the side of the road.
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
  • Jump Back, Kiss Myself!
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
counterpoint: that was Cleveland before the move to Baltimore.
Very true.

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 09:01:20 PM »
He has had the same psychiatrist working with his teams since Michigan State. The man is simply smarter than all the other coaches.

http://www.businessinsider.com/alabama-coach-nick-saban-process-2015-8
Here's to growing up in an Empire during the decadent years!

Official motto of Woopig P&R board "Wear a cup tl;dr"

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
Re: National Champinship thread (minus UCF)
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 09:05:50 PM »

If that were the case he wouldn’t have shown up at Fayetteville High School last year. He recruits and is out on the road a lot.

Offline Buffinator

• The Other Other White Meat
  • King of the Hogs
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 09:12:19 PM »
He has had the same psychiatrist working with his teams since Michigan State. The man is simply smarter than all the other coaches.

Urban Meyer uses the 7-second mentality as well, or at least he claims to in his book.  Saban may be smarter, but he definitely has his own unique approach. 

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 09:23:02 PM »

This motherfucker is GOOOD!

The game against Ohio State started off terribly. With 10 minutes left in the third quarter, the Buckeyes were beating the Spartans 24-9. But the players and coaches remained calm, Michigan State's then quarterback Bill Burke told Monte Burke. It felt like "we had an infinite amount of time to come back," he said.

After fighting back, the Spartans were ahead 25-24 with just under 11 minutes left in the third quarter.

He went BACK IN TIME and won this game!
"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

A very stable genius.

Offline Po Pimp

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 04:11:54 AM »
I would be curious what the LSU AD back in the day saw in Saban to bring him in.  I remember when he was hired at LSU it was a bit of a head scratcher with a lot of grumblings on how if he couldn't win the Big 10 how would he be able to compete in the mighty SEC.  After his run in Baton Rouge it was a no-brainer that he was a great corch, but before that he wasn't any more proven than Bert.

Offline Chigurh

• Call it Friendo
  • Tush Hog
  • I can't call it for you
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2018, 05:31:12 AM »
He also has a great knack of hiring great assistants. Four of his former disciples are currently the head honchos at SEC programs.

You pick the one right tool.

Offline hogfan58

• Nothing that's out there that's not correctable - Bert
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 06:58:14 AM »
Much like Paterson at TCU, Saban has a type for positions when recruiting. Look at their DL, RB, LB...they all fit a mold. The difference is that Patterson takes 3 star guys and fits them into positions; Saban takes 4 and 5 star guys that are already in that position.
"Florida is kind of the new Ole Miss. They're doing some things in recruiting that kind of shock you a little bit" ~~ Bret Bielema, NSD 2016

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • King of the Hogs
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 07:24:42 AM »
I would be curious what the LSU AD back in the day saw in Saban to bring him in.  I remember when he was hired at LSU it was a bit of a head scratcher with a lot of grumblings on how if he couldn't win the Big 10 how would he be able to compete in the mighty SEC.  After his run in Baton Rouge it was a no-brainer that he was a great corch, but before that he wasn't any more proven than Bert.

At that time you could also easily argue that Arkansas was very close to LSU and Michigan State in talent level.

Online Nolapigz

• King of the Hogs
  • Die hipster, die.
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 07:39:55 AM »
At that time you could also easily argue that Arkansas was very close to LSU and Michigan State in talent level.
I agree.  LSU and Arkansas were similar programs in reputation and stature until Saban arrived in BR.  The difference being, of course, the recruiting base in Louisiana.
"Cause I just came here trying to be real. . .be as genuine as possible. . .and you know real recognize real."

Offline Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 08:15:34 AM »
How would Saban be doing if he was coaching at Vanderbilt?  Probably not the same results as he has had at Bama, but probably better than Vandy has been.
Well, James Franklin went 18-8 at Vandy in 2012-13 so for me it's safe to say if Saban was in Nashville he could at a minimum win the SEC East.
Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 08:16:48 AM »

That's such a chicken and egg thing, though.
He's the best recruiting HC of all time, period.
People have laughed when folks refer to him as a players' coach, but I think it's true somewhat. He has this redass persona, but he gives a lot of shits about those players and it shows when he talks about them.

Think about it. He doesn't do anything particularly innovative on either side of the ball. It's about as vanilla as it gets compared to other top programs.
He is the prime example of winning with Jimmies and Joes, not X's and O's.
I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Online HogofWar

• King of the Hogs
  • Sex, like Duct Tape, fixes everything.
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 08:21:22 AM »
That's such a chicken and egg thing, though.
He's the best recruiting HC of all time, period.
People have laughed when folks refer to him as a players' coach, but I think it's true somewhat. He has this redass persona, but he gives a lot of shits about those players and it shows when he talks about them.

Think about it. He doesn't do anything particularly innovative on either side of the ball. It's about as vanilla as it gets compared to other top programs.
He is the prime example of winning with Jimmies and Joes, not X's and O's.

I agree that he is a player's coach, but he is like a father to this kids and not trying to be a best friend, like Bert was. He gets them to do their best. Pat them on the back when they do what is right, and scold them when they do the wrong thing.

A true player's coach.

Offline Kill The Ref

• Boar
  • Dirty, Dirty Pig Boy.
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »

In 12 years as a HC every player he has recruited that stayed for 4 years has won a NC.

When did Michigan State win a NC?

Offline Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 08:42:23 AM »
When did Michigan State win a NC?
Every SEC class he's signed.
Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 34 queries.