Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Old Browns Films from the AAFC  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Snorts

• Boar
  • 7 Screaming Diz Busters
Old Browns Films from the AAFC
« on: January 10, 2018, 05:32:51 PM »
Not sure where to put this thread, but realize it could end up in Crapola.  S’all gud.

I have always been interested in old football films, whether Pro, College or HS.  Heck, we had some old film from 1961, Frenship vs Denver City, at my first coaching job.  Amazing watching those ass hole Denver City jerk offs run the score up.  Film ran out in the 3rd with DC up 73 to something, still pouring it on from the “sniffing T”.

Anyway, on Youtube some fellow has uploaded a shit load of very clear game film from the 1946-49 Cleveland Browns.  They were the best team in the old AAFC which merged 3 teams into the NFL for the 1950 season (Colts, 49ers and Cleveland).  Browns were the best team in football, winning the fuggin NFL championship that year.

You get to actually watch the formations and plays of those old teams, and see what a LOT of legendary players were like.

Expect 6-2 defenses and dead T offenses, with some single wing thrown in from teams like the Yankees.  Lots of motion and split ends from the Browns, and some 5-3 defense.

FB Marion Motley is a great player.  So is QB Otto Graham.  LE Speedie, RE Lavelli and RHB Dub Jones are HOF material.  Grat kicking game.  The Officials are ass holes, of course.

Just a heads up for anyone interested

Just ask the Axis

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
Re: Old Browns Films from the AAFC
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 05:51:45 PM »
Paul Brown was maybe the most innovative coach of all time.

Fun fact to know and tell: one of his three sons relocated to Conway in the '70's and opened up the first gym with Nautilis equipment in central Arkansas (unless Harry Brace did  ;D).  It was on Stanley Russ Road, just up the hill from South Donaghey in an old rock house.  Getting one of those t-shirts was somehow a big deal back in the day.

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline bigghurtt

• Sockpuppet of an angry god
  • King of the Hogs
  • Prying open, my brown eye...wait...damnit.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:57:18 PM »
Fuck the Browns.

You got a link?

This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
  • FAH Q
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 06:04:54 PM »
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Po Pimp

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 06:33:47 AM »
A link may have helped.

Offline Snorts

• Boar
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »
A link may have helped.

Its on youtube.  If there is a hyperlink forgive an old fart for not knowing that.

I just search for aafc cleveland browns on youtube.  Comrade Dobler is the uploader.

Just ask the Axis

Offline Fairweather Hog Fan

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »
Browns fans have to go all the way back to 1949 to find any glory, damn.  At least Hog fans can go back to a modern 1964 to re-live ours.

King of the poors!

Offline geohul

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
  • Boar
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:33:19 AM »
Its on youtube.  If there is a hyperlink forgive an old fart for not knowing that.

I just search for aafc cleveland browns on youtube.  Comrade Dobler is the uploader.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u5A_g_FGYahCeAqer4z3Q/videos
Here is the channel with all the videos that user has uploaded.  There's a lot of stuff there
Here's the rams and browns for the 1951 NFL Championship. 

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Wild Hog
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 09:14:31 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u5A_g_FGYahCeAqer4z3Q/videos
Here is the channel with all the videos that user has uploaded.  There's a lot of stuff there
Here's the rams and browns for the 1951 NFL Championship. 

First thing that stands out after watching about ten minutes is how the refs used to wrk their tails off. You had to be in shape to jump in there to get the ball and set up for the next play. I’ll bet games didn’t drag on for 4 hours then.

Offline Snorts

• Boar
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »
The 1950 Rams were a fantastic Offensive team, still holding records today.  The 1951 version were almost as good.  Legendary players like Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch and Tom Fears were receivers. 

Quarterbacks were Norm Van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield.  The "Bull Elephant" backfield featured three huge (for that time) RBs in "Deacon" Dan Towler, "Tank" Younger and Dick Hoerner.  Glenn Davis, "Mr. Outside" from Army fame was also a featured ball carrier and receiver.

Combine that with all the great players from the Browns and you have a couple of games featuring Hall of Famers coming at you from every angle.

Bob Waterfield was married to Jane Russell, she of the famous....well, Bob Hope introduced her as "the two and only" Jane Russell.  Pic is a promo from "The Outlaw".

Waterfield had to be distracted.

Just ask the Axis

Offline geohul

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
  • Boar
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 06:14:28 PM »
I don't know what it is about the way highlights were filmed back then but it had a way of making the players appear slower than they were.  I noticed it a long time ago when I was a kid, when I was watching some old NFL highlight tape that came with my Sports Illustrated subscription.  My dad would tell me how great guys like Unitas and Fran Tarkenton were.  How fast Lance Alworth was etc etc.  It wasn't until 8 or 9 years ago, while watching an old Alworth clip on YouTube that I realized that you could change the speed the video plays at in the option menu under the video.  I played that highlight at 1.25 speed and dodgonned if it didn't nearly ex0lode off the screen.  I suggest any of you try this when viewing these old highlights because those old highlight videos, while awesome really don't do justice the actual speed some of these guys had.

Offline Fairweather Hog Fan

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 07:22:35 AM »
I was watching old films of Unitas and Namath, hell don't see how they got the ball off with that eleventy step drop-back.  Unitas would be at the 20 but by the time he loaded up to throw he was inside the 10. 

King of the poors!