Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Poll

What would be your minimum definition of success in the next 2 years for Mike Anderson?

Overall winning record
6 (4.3%)
Conference winning record
17 (12.2%)
An SEC title
9 (6.5%)
Sweet Sixteen appearance or more
105 (75.5%)
Record is secondary, just keep the program out of probation
2 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: March 25, 2018, 04:37:53 PM

Author Topic: Your expectation for AR basketball and Mike Anderson  (Read 11107 times)

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • King of the Hogs
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
Your expectation for AR basketball and Mike Anderson
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2018, 11:45:01 AM »
Thread recap...

A. The system is that there is no system...hard to prepare for that until it isn’t anymore.

B. What happened in the prior 7 years is exactly what will happen in the next 7 years.

C. Our players will only go as far as their individual talent takes them. The coaching isn’t good enough to push them further. None of their performance short comings are on them.

D. We don’t or won’t recruit a point guard

E. Our players are basically not smart.

I’ll add that I somehow don’t think we are built well enough for the entire course of a season. Roster wise, depth wise, preparation...we need some different tools in the bag because what wins games in Nov doesn’t necessarily work in Jan & March. I know that’s deep but it’s true.

The roster should have matchup answers for what we might see. Mikes approach seems to be interchangeable parts which has repeatedly failed.

We aren’t going to matchup with everybody, but we can’t expect to trot out a team that’s shorter and lighter and still doesn’t out shoot/work their opponents.

One more: you win games in March by winning games in the early season. I know that isn’t a guarantee but it goes a long way if you can get into that top 5 seed area.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:47:09 AM by Animal »

Offline CharlieHog

• Fanboy
  • King of the Hogs
    • Hog Nation
Re: Your expectation for AR basketball and Mike Anderson
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2018, 12:28:14 PM »
Dave Van Horn is one of the top 10 baseball coaches in the country. He was one of the top 10 coaches when we hired him.

It has nothing to do with baseball being easier to be successful at than basketball. I'd argue that it's the opposite for several reasons:

1. The SEC is a much more competitive conference in baseball than it is in basketball.
2. College baseball competes with professional baseball outright for players.
2b. JUCO is a perfectly legitimate option for baseball players. Players are drafted in the first round from JUCOs.
3. Baseball is partially funded, basketball is fully funded. The basketball coach never has to juggle scholarships.
4. Arkansas competes with Southern/Western schools but we do not have a Southern climate. (baseball games are played out of doors)

Offline CharlieHog

• Fanboy
  • King of the Hogs
    • Hog Nation
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »
I wasn't trying to compare sports other than my preferred level of success for the basketball program.

Since you brought it up though, I'll make a couple points:  DVH recruits nationwide.  There are also a shit ton of "small schools" that focus on baseball.  Dallas Baptist, CSU Fullerton, and Long Beach State come immediately to mind.  College of Charleston won the whole damn thing a couple years ago.

*Coastal Carolina

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »
Dave Van Horn is one of the top 10 baseball coaches in the country. He was one of the top 10 coaches when we hired him.

It has nothing to do with baseball being easier to be successful at than basketball. I'd argue that it's the opposite for several reasons:

1. The SEC is a much more competitive conference in baseball than it is in basketball.
2b. JUCO is a perfectly legitimate option for baseball players. Players are drafted in the first round from JUCOs.
3. Baseball is partially funded, basketball is fully funded. The basketball coach never has to juggle scholarships.
4. Arkansas competes with Southern/Western schools but we do not have a Southern climate. (baseball games are played out of doors)
You're one of the respected voices out here. How do you feel about the job Mike is doing?

Here's to growing up in an Empire during the decadent years!

Official motto of Woopig P&R board "Wear a cup tl;dr"

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2018, 12:48:40 PM »
A)   I expect Arkansas Basketball to be better.
B) . I expect Mike Anderson to leave.

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »

Interesting bit of trivia here for you(most of you, I imagine Charlie already knew thi).  Spring camps for baseball used to happen in Hot Springs.  For years it was this way because they had a “good climate” and the actual hot springs were used for therapy.  When they finally figured out how to control mosquitos and use air conditioning, it moved to Florida, for the most part.  This was right after the great flood ended the dinosaurs.

*this post was rated %100 percent accurate by snopes.

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline OP

• Still Cranky After All These Years
  • Boar
  • I still tingle at the bottom of my balls
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2018, 01:10:04 PM »

*Coastal Carolina

As someone with a few roots of the family tree going back to North Carolina in the 1750's, all South  Carolinians look the same to me. (Except some of the Butlers).  😀

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »
Interesting bit of trivia here for you(most of you, I imagine Charlie already knew thi).  Spring camps for baseball used to happen in Hot Springs.  For years it was this way because they had a “good climate” and the actual hot springs were used for therapy.  When they finally figured out how to control mosquitos and use air conditioning, it moved to Florida, for the most part.  This was right after the great flood ended the dinosaurs.

*this post was rated %100 percent accurate by snopes.
Totally operating off of memory here, but there's supposed to be a place that has one of Babe Ruths longest HR marked off.

Offline CharlieHog

• Fanboy
  • King of the Hogs
    • Hog Nation
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2018, 01:18:52 PM »
You're one of the respected voices out here. How do you feel about the job Mike is doing?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I gave up my season tickets under Pelphrey and have only attended games sporadically since then. Now that I have a kid I don't really have time to just sit and watch a basketball game for two+ hours in the evening or on the weekend, must less time to watch other, non-Arkansas basketball games. So I don't know. I couldn't even name one coach who would or should be under consideration if we did fire Anderson.

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2018, 01:30:26 PM »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I gave up my season tickets under Pelphrey and have only attended games sporadically since then. Now that I have a kid I don't really have time to just sit and watch a basketball game for two+ hours in the evening or on the weekend, must less time to watch other, non-Arkansas basketball games. So I don't know. I couldn't even name one coach who would or should be under consideration if we did fire Anderson.
Fair enough :)

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2018, 01:55:36 PM »
If you’re happy with MA, and advocating him being here another 7 fucking years

Absolutely no one is advocating for "7 more years"

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »
My reference to 7 more years is this...if you’re ok with the job he has done the last 7 years, and nothing right now points to an increase in performance, then you should be ok for more of the same for 7 more years.

Amirite?

<--- I'm with him

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »
My reference to 7 more years is this...if you’re ok with the job he has done the last 7 years, and nothing right now points to an increase in performance, then you should be ok for more of the same for 7 more years.

Amirite?

He has raised the overall value of the program.
Period.

If you don't think he can raise it any further, that's fine. You're entitled to that opinion.

As for me, I'm 100% on board with giving him the time to take it further.
If we're having this same conversation in several years, then maybe you look at making a change.
This "if you're satisfied with the past 7 years, you want 7 years more of it" nonsense is horse shit, though.

I’ve never experienced anyone working at CFA being a jerk or rude but yesterday I encountered a guy in the drive thru who was not only rude but a jerk. When I finally had my order and he didn’t even say my pleasure I yelled “thanks for being a jerk” and drove off.

Offline Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2018, 02:41:43 PM »

Amirite?
Well, his 1st 3 years we were 59-39 overall (26-19 vs SEC teams) and the last 4 years we were 92-47 overall (50-32 vs SEC teams).

There has been improvement in last 4 years vs his 1st 3 years.

That was not a good team we barely beat at home.  We seriously may not win another game this season. - BASS January 20, 2018, 07:40:43 PM

Offline Phat_Hawg

• Likes doing hoodrat stuff with his friends.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2018, 02:50:18 PM »
Well, his 1st 3 years we were 59-39 overall (26-19 vs SEC teams) and the last 4 years we were 92-47 overall (50-32 vs SEC teams).

There has been improvement in last 4 years vs his 1st 3 years.

SEC winning percentage first three years 58%
SEC winning percentage last four years    61%

Dude is consistent.  What you see is pretty much what you get.

"Lemme guess.. when you shake hands you offer a FIRM grip don't you.. or you think dick size matters? LMMFAO! nobody can do nothing about what your born with, and God gives everyone exactly what they need, your heart is the only thing that matters...Plus, my dicks little, but ask anybody that's kicked it in the sack with me and they'll tell you whats up.."

Offline TorcFiadhain Joe

• Wild Hog
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2018, 03:01:19 PM »
SEC winning percentage first three years 58%
SEC winning percentage last four years    61%

Dude is consistent.  What you see is pretty much what you get.
Yup.  Steady improvement from day one with 1 bad year after losing Qualls and Portis.

Offline Cobbler

• Wild Hog
  • Love that helmet!!
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2018, 03:06:58 PM »
Yup.  Steady improvement from day one with 1 bad year after losing Qualls and Portis.

Steady improvement except when we didn't improve. Got it.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• Likes doing hoodrat stuff with his friends.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »

I think "steady" is a bit strong. "Gradual" would probably be more accurate.

"Lemme guess.. when you shake hands you offer a FIRM grip don't you.. or you think dick size matters? LMMFAO! nobody can do nothing about what your born with, and God gives everyone exactly what they need, your heart is the only thing that matters...Plus, my dicks little, but ask anybody that's kicked it in the sack with me and they'll tell you whats up.."

Offline Cobbler

• Wild Hog
  • Love that helmet!!
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »
Also, if we are just going to pick arbitrary time frames to compare against each other:

Years 2-4: 68-34 overall (33-21 SEC)
Years 5-7: 65-38 overall (31-23 SEC)

So, we've actually had a slightly worse record the past three years than the three years prior. That's not steady improvement.

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
Also, if we are just going to pick arbitrary time frames to compare against each other:

So, we've actually had a slightly worse record the past three years than the three years prior. That's not steady improvement.
That's going to leave a mark.

Offline Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »

I used last 4 years since that's when we made NCAAs for the 1st time under MA. In the last 4 years only UK has been better than us in the SEC, albeit by a wide margin. I reckon all these other schools need to put their coaches on notice too.

We can debate this on end (MA is a good coach not a great coach, period) but the reality is MA is going anywhere until after the 2019-20 season at the earliest. Every post bitching about him until then is just wasted keystrokes,

That was not a good team we barely beat at home.  We seriously may not win another game this season. - BASS January 20, 2018, 07:40:43 PM

Offline TorcFiadhain Joe

• Wild Hog
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2018, 03:17:51 PM »
In 7 years MA has made getting to the tournament a foundation of the program.  He’s elevated the program to a standard that was not achieved before him.  I’d say that’s  improvement.  For anyone to project the future and say without a doubt he can or can’t build on his successes here and overall is nonsense. 

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »
In 7 years MA has made getting to the tournament a foundation of the program.  He’s elevated the program to a standard that was not achieved before him.  I’d say that’s  improvement.  For anyone to project the future and say without a doubt he can or can’t build on his successes here and overall is nonsense.
This would be true if we didn't have total access to the program like we do now. We've been behind the scenes enough times now with Mike that we're pretty sure what his upper limit is.

Offline Tonic

• Local Sunshine Pumper
  • Boar
  • Keep On 'Stachin
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2018, 03:24:25 PM »
I used last 4 years since that's when we made NCAAs for the 1st time under MA. In the last 4 years only UK has been better than us in the SEC, albeit by a wide margin. I reckon all these other schools need to put their coaches on notice too.

We can debate this on end (MA is a good coach not a great coach, period) but the reality is MA is going anywhere until after the 2019-20 season at the earliest. Every post bitching about him until then is just wasted keystrokes,

It could take 20 more years but these guys will be bitching every year until Anderson is ultimately fired or retires. Out of the ones bitching, at least the ones who are still alive, will say I told you so. Anderson haters have been around since he got here and ramped up their bitching right after year 3.

Don't waste your time with the mouth breathers.

Offline TorcFiadhain Joe

• Wild Hog
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »
This would be true if we didn't have total access to the program like we do now. We've been behind the scenes enough times now with Mike that we're pretty sure what his upper limit is.
Really?  Then why are his teams at UAB and Missouri ignored or dismissed?