Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 2018 Spring Game - Chock Full of Animals!!1!! LR 7billionz! NWA Jack SHIT!  (Read 25779 times)

Offline Law_Hawg

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
  • King of the Hogs

In the SEC era, prior to Bielema, even the worst Razorback teams had managed to win at least two conference games.  The 1994, 1996, 1997, 2005, and 2012 teams all won only two SEC games apiece.  Those were some fairly bad teams.   

In hindsight, based on those prior seasons, it probably was a big warning sign when Bielema managed to win not a single SEC game in 2013.  Bielema went on to manage another two-win SEC campaign (in 2014), and then last season managed a one-win conference record.  Bielema thus left here with the distinction of coaching the team to its two worst SEC records ever. 

A 2-6 SEC record in 2018 doesn't really concern me, as I don't expect this team to be nearly as good as Dirk, Rick B., and a few others think it will be.  There's a serious question as to the talent level on this team, and it's a team that's completely overhauling its offensive system.  Bielema's and Morris's offensive philosophies couldn't be farther apart, much like when Richardson took over many long years ago for Sutton at Barnhill Arena.  I think there are going to be some growing pains there, much like you saw in Richardson's first season, as Morris tries to make his offense work mostly using players who were recruited for a different style of offense. 

That said, an 0-8 conference record would concern me.  Considering the pre-Bielema records of even the worst Hog teams in the SEC, and the fact that this isn't the strongest SEC schedule the Hogs have faced in recent years, it would appear that Morris should be able to come up with at least a couple of wins somewhere in there.  If he doesn't, then maybe there should be some serious concerns.             

Offline Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
Thanks.  I feel better now.
As you should. Limpert is FAR FAR down the list on any issues we have....and we have plenty.

That was not a good team we barely beat at home.  We seriously may not win another game this season. - BASS January 20, 2018, 07:40:43 PM

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs

In the SEC era, prior to Bielema, even the worst Razorback teams had managed to win at least two conference games.  The 1994, 1996, 1997, 2005, and 2012 teams all won only two SEC games apiece.  Those were some fairly bad teams.   

In hindsight, based on those prior seasons, it probably was a big warning sign when Bielema managed to win not a single SEC game in 2013.  Bielema went on to manage another two-win SEC campaign (in 2014), and then last season managed a one-win conference record.  Bielema thus left here with the distinction of coaching the team to its two worst SEC records ever. 

A 2-6 SEC record in 2018 doesn't really concern me, as I don't expect this team to be nearly as good as Dirk, Rick B., and a few others think it will be.  There's a serious question as to the talent level on this team, and it's a team that's completely overhauling its offensive system.  Bielema's and Morris's offensive philosophies couldn't be farther apart, much like when Richardson took over many long years ago for Sutton at Barnhill Arena.  I think there are going to be some growing pains there, much like you saw in Richardson's first season, as Morris tries to make his offense work mostly using players who were recruited for a different style of offense. 

That said, an 0-8 conference record would concern me.  Considering the pre-Bielema records of even the worst Hog teams in the SEC, and the fact that this isn't the strongest SEC schedule the Hogs have faced in recent years, it would appear that Morris should be able to come up with at least a couple of wins somewhere in there.  If he doesn't, then maybe there should be some serious concerns.             

Thank you.  You explained that far better than I have been, apparently. 

You are probably overstating my expectations a bit though.   A 2-6 SEC record pretty much exactly lines up with what I think we'll do.  Against this non-conference schedule that should be enough to get us to six wins and a bowl. 

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs

You are probably overstating my expectations a bit though.   A 2-6 SEC record pretty much exactly lines up with what I think we'll do.  Against this non-conference schedule that should be enough to get us to six wins and a bowl.

Sorry, I couldn't keep up with who predicted what, so I threw you in with Rick B.  No offense intended.     

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
I am less worried about wins and more about building a winning mindset and team.  Bret had few wins that were reflective of a winning team; his usually came from bludgeoning weaker opponents, and rarely came from truly solid play.  Hence his teams were weak and collapsed with adversity.

If we see an aggressive staff, a team getting shape and focusing on execution, that plays hard for 60, we are further ahead even with four wins than a sloppy six.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
If we see an aggressive staff, a team getting shape and focusing on execution, that plays hard for 60, we are further ahead even with four wins than a sloppy six.

Man, there's nothing worse than sloppy sixes. 

Offline mde114

• Boar
If Chavis has the defense running TOWARD the ball carrier, I’ll consider it an improvement. We had the biggest bunch of quitters I’ve ever seen in Razorback uniforms playing defense the last couple of years.

Offline Hogeye_Pierce

• Boar
  • Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
I am less worried about wins and more about building a winning mindset and team.  Bret had few wins that were reflective of a winning team; his usually came from bludgeoning weaker opponents, and rarely came from truly solid play.  Hence his teams were weak and collapsed with adversity.

Four wins, no matter how you try to spin it, will be awfully hard to stomach with the schedule we have this year.

Offline hogfan58

• Nothing that's out there that's not correctable - Bert
  • King of the Hogs

We aren't going to beat Colorado St, you heard it here first.

"Florida is kind of the new Ole Miss. They're doing some things in recruiting that kind of shock you a little bit" ~~ Bret Bielema, NSD 2016

Offline Phat_Hawg

• Likes doing hoodrat stuff with his friends.
  • King of the Hogs

Add to that playing freshman if they are more suited long term to what he is wanting to do.  I will happily sacrifice a few wins the first year to the new guys getting experience. 

"Lemme guess.. when you shake hands you offer a FIRM grip don't you.. or you think dick size matters? LMMFAO! nobody can do nothing about what your born with, and God gives everyone exactly what they need, your heart is the only thing that matters...Plus, my dicks little, but ask anybody that's kicked it in the sack with me and they'll tell you whats up.."

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
We aren't going to beat Colorado St, you heard it here first.

That would be a really bad sign for Morris if it happened, because we will have a massive talent advantage.  CSU wasn't very good last year either. 

On the other hand, BMFP damn near lost to Eastern Illinois and NLU his first year.  Losing to CSU wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it still shouldn't happen. 

Offline hit_that_line

• King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net
Well, it’s looking likely we will lose 3 of the top 4 players in-state including a legacy.

"You're hurt son? Shit just because my dick hurts doesn't mean I quit fucking."

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
Well, it’s looking likely we will lose 3 of the top 4 players in-state including a legacy.

Quick, somebody call President Trump!!!  We're needing a new wall a little closer than the Mexican border!

Online Rick B.

• King of the Hogs

Sorry, I couldn't keep up with who predicted what, so I threw you in with Rick B.  No offense intended.     

A 2-6 SEC record, in my book, is EXPECTED.  Nothing less.   I just cannot fathom us losing to Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and Missouri.  I cannot fathom us losing to the 3 non-cons not named Colorado State.  Sure, they might upset us but we SHOULD win that game.  At worst that's 7-5. 

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• King of the Hogs

I didn't think he had any eligibility left.

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • King of the Hogs
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
No matter what you say four wins is not better than six. Not in any universe. That’s not how any of this works. There is no losing the battle to win the war argument to be had.

If this was a senior laden team coming back and we said fuck it...play the young guys then ok but that’s not really what we have.

I will say that the worst thing that can happen is these guys get to thinking nothing has truly changed...that their ceiling as a program is 7 wins or some such.

You cannot establish a winning culture by losing and likewise you cannot establish winning by accepting watching the same guys fail to make the leap.

Part of Donuts problem last year was an inability to take corrective actions due mostly because we just didn’t have anyone else to put in there or in some cases there was a clearly unwillingness by the staff to admit they fucked up (fawning over Jackson at tackle) The team and individual development was evidently the biggest failing. This is why the football staff gets paid a lot of money.

To address something else from earlier. This notion that the offense being so drastically different that it will most likely mean we suck balls. We already sucked balls...we may be sucking taint next , but it might be in the right direction.

My guess is the offense will be more run oriented than people are thinking. Morris isn’t going to come in and air it out like Petrino did. I think we will see a lot more quick hitting passes like you see from spread teams and mixing in a variety of inside runs and misdirection. Quick passes will cut down on our line liability and also cover up for weak blitz pick up from our backs. Who was it La tech where the kid would fling the ball out quick and we couldn’t do jack shit? Oh wait that was everybody.

A lot moving parts and that’s where it might be a problem with pre-snap penalties. Morris will more than likely pair back his offense and may go a bit more “thick” than maybe he would prefer based on the donut offerings on hand.

Not sure we will have the people to go more vertical in the passing game. I am hopeful we have some kind of route running instead of run straight ahead.

Offline Hogeye_Pierce

• Boar
  • Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
A 2-6 SEC record, in my book, is EXPECTED.  Nothing less.   I just cannot fathom us losing to Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and Missouri.  I cannot fathom us losing to the 3 non-cons not named Colorado State.  Sure, they might upset us but we SHOULD win that game.  At worst that's 7-5.

Couldn't fathom losing to Toledo or Coastal Carolina either, but  one happened and the other came within an eyelash of happening. We only win four this year and we will be going through this same process in about 3 years.

Offline Law_Hawg

• King of the Hogs
I just cannot fathom us losing to Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and Missouri. 

Can you not fathom losing to all three of them, or can you not fathom losing to any of them?

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas
  • King of the Hogs
Agree with what Animal said. You foster a winning culture by actually winning. I don't want to hear about how we are building it the right way and it takes time. I want to hear about how we won the game on Saturday. Get the best players on the field ready to win. Don't leave your playmaker on the bench because he doesn't know the plays. Don't play a hurt quarterback because you haven't prepared another to play. An automatic two year pass turns into a third and fourth year of we are so close that leads to a fifth year of realizing we aren't.

Online Rick B.

• King of the Hogs
Couldn't fathom losing to Toledo or Coastal Carolina either, but  one happened and the other came within an eyelash of happening. We only win four this year and we will be going through this same process in about 3 years.

I totally fathomed losing to Toledo.  I even warned about it on message boards.  They weren't world beaters but Toledo had consistently won games and got to bowl games the years prior to playing us.  Hell, they were 9-4 and 7-1 in the MAC prior to beating us in 2015.  Sure, it was embarrassing but absolutely not surprising.  And hell, comparing ANYTHING we did LAST year with Bielema with this year just to me seems ludicrous.  It was totally obvious to everyone that Bielema had lost the team and was totally outcoached by just about everyone last year.  But again, Coastal Carolina was 10-2, 9-3, and 10-2 in the 3 years prior to last season.  Sure, they jumped up to the FBS last year.  But yes, that was an unfathomable almost-loss.

Maybe I'm being too overly optimistic but I'd rather be optimistic than give up on the season before it even starts.

Online Rick B.

• King of the Hogs
Can you not fathom losing to all three of them, or can you not fathom losing to any of them?

Pardon my grammEr.  I cannot fathom losing to any of them. 

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hammer Down
So he doesn’t get a pass this year? If we have an awful year we fire our first year HC?

I'm not saying that, but any coach that goes 0-8 in the SEC is not a good coach.

What was the list put on here last year?  Joker Phillips, Gene Chizik, Bobby Johnson, Bret Bielema?  That's not the company you want to keep.

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

"I can understand your disdain for Arkansas people when all you've had exposure to is the NW Ark people. The natives are idiots and the imports are Yankees." - Lurk, May 2016

Offline Ty Webb

• King of the Hogs
I'm not saying that, but any coach that goes 0-8 in the SEC is not a good coach.

What was the list put on here last year?  Joker Phillips, Gene Chizik, Bobby Johnson, Bret Bielema?  That's not the company you want to keep.
I'd take the Chiz 0-8 if it came after a natty like his did.

That was not a good team we barely beat at home.  We seriously may not win another game this season. - BASS January 20, 2018, 07:40:43 PM

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hammer Down
Add to that playing freshman if they are more suited long term to what he is wanting to do.  I will happily sacrifice a few wins the first year to the new guys getting experience.

I wouldn't.  We tried that in 2013, and it didn't work.

I'd take the Chiz 0-8 if it came after a natty like his did.

Who wouldn't here?

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

"I can understand your disdain for Arkansas people when all you've had exposure to is the NW Ark people. The natives are idiots and the imports are Yankees." - Lurk, May 2016

Offline Ty Webb

• King of the Hogs
Who wouldn't here?
Just replying to the statement where you said that's not good company to keep. If Morris has the exact same tenure here that Chiz did at AU I'd be happy to keep that company.