Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Ranking Razorback Football Commits - "All Time"  (Read 3179 times)

Offline ElvisHog

• Where have you gone Walter Cronkite, and why have you been replaced by the likes of woopig.net?
  • King of the Hogs
Ranking Razorback Football Commits - "All Time"
« on: April 08, 2018, 10:28:16 PM »
The beginning of time being when this stuff started getting into a database.

This link was in the Spring Game thread and I didn't think much about it after clicking and seeing what it was. But I left the tab open and came back to it and found it's a pretty interesting look back in the past. There are names on here few people will remember. Successes. Complete busts. Anyway, I thought it was interesting enough to start a thread.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruits

Offline ElvisHog

• Where have you gone Walter Cronkite, and why have you been replaced by the likes of woopig.net?
  • King of the Hogs
Re: Ranking Razorback Football Commits - "All Time"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:31:20 PM »
Anthony Oden. Need to Google WTF with him.....

Ah. Two DWI's in a year and Petrino gave him the foot.

Arkansas offensive tackle Anthony Oden, brother of NBA star Greg, was dismissed by the Razorbacks less just shy of a week after he was arrested for driving while intoxicated. Other offenses in the one-man moving violation spree included possession of a controlled substance, driving left of the center line, failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, driving without proof of ownership, driving on a suspended or revoked driver's license, and driving without a driver's license.

Offline ElvisHog

• King of the Hogs

Offline ElvisHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 10:48:21 PM »
Lonnie Gosha. Class of 2011. I only remember the name.

“Lonnie is no longer with the team. He quit the team,” Petrino said.

Petrino did not elaborate on when Gosha left the team or why, but rumors of Gosha’s departure have been circulating for several days.

Gosha, who could play both end and tackle, appeared in four games this season and had seven tackles and one sack.

Gosha was ranked a four-star defensive tackle by 247Sports coming out of Lake Butler (Fla.) Union County in 2011. He was ranked the No. 202 recruit nationally, the 20th-best defensive tackle in the nation and the No. 40 player in the state of Florida.

http://www.troytrojans.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4303

Offline Satch

• brings nothing to the discussion.
  • Boar
  • a moron who knows only what he reads on Woopig.net
    • https://www.hogblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/1964-Razorback-Logo.png
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 10:50:39 PM »

A Samuel L Bronkowitz production

Offline ElvisHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 10:55:32 PM »
Cam Feldt - Class of 2010

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2011/may/12/razorbacks-release-feldt-moss/?sports

FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas has granted scholarship releases to two more players from its football program in offensive lineman Cam Feldt and linebacker Austin Moss, Razorbacks coach Bobby Petrino said Thursday through a team spokesperson.

The players are the fourth and fifth to be released this week as coaches perform annual scholarship evaluations. Wide receiver Lance Ray, kicker Eddie Camara and tight end Ryan Calender have also been granted releases from the program.

Arkansas is also working toward granting offensive lineman Colby Berna a medical hardship, which would end his playing career. Berna, a Fayetteville native, has struggled with shoulder problems since high school and didn’t play during his two seasons on campus.

Feldt, rated a four-star prospect by Scout.com coming out of Pilot Point High School in Texas, redshirted last season and was expected to be a reserve in 2011.

Moss, a Rockwall, Texas, native, was buried on the depth chart during the spring. He was used primarily on special teams at Arkansas, finishing his career with 17 tackles and a fumble recovery.

The releases free up scholarships for incoming signees and could be potentially used for veteran walk-ons.

Arkansas might also add a pair of late signees to its 2011 class. Junior college offensive lineman Chris Stringer verbally committed to the Razorbacks Thursday morning and JUCO linebacker Robert Atiga will visit the school this weekend.

Offline ElvisHog

• King of the Hogs

Offline ElvisHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 10:58:58 PM »
I was like....who the hell is this guy? Oh.......

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 11:04:11 PM »
Peters and Gosha both had a lot of potential. Petrino, who apparently couldn’t recruit defense, signed a couple great classes with this two, Trey Flowers, Taiwan Johnson, and Chris Smith.

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

A very stable genius.

Offline ElvisHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 11:11:05 PM »
Zach Stadther is all the way down at 243. I'd take a clone of him on the line every single year.

Online Buffinator

• The Other Other White Meat
  • King of the Hogs
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 12:24:45 AM »
Peters and Gosha both had a lot of potential. Petrino, who apparently couldn’t recruit defense, signed a couple great classes with this two, Trey Flowers, Taiwan Johnson, and Chris Smith.

And had no tolerance for bullshit.  Imagine if he'd been coach when those players decided to shoplift from Belk of all places.  We might have been trotting out the 3rd string for opening kickoff.

Offline Cerdo

• Despacito
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 07:11:13 AM »
I'd say Otha Peters should have been our first big hint that Bielema was in way over his head as a true Southeastern region head coach.  There was a lot of WTF around here about it at the time. 

There's a paucity of top recruits there from Nutt that are out of state - I didn't remember Jason Peters being that highly touted when he came.  Nutt's recruiting success out of state basically boiled down to Ahmad Carroll and Lawrence Richardson, who I think was seen as a huge risk at the time for off the field/academic stuff. 

Petrino was a much better recruiter than anyone gives him credit for, in my opinion.   He just recruited differently. 

Offline acater

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 08:29:03 AM »
I'd say Otha Peters should have been our first big hint that Bielema was in way over his head as a true Southeastern region head coach.  There was a lot of WTF around here about it at the time. 

There's a paucity of top recruits there from Nutt that are out of state - I didn't remember Jason Peters being that highly touted when he came.  Nutt's recruiting success out of state basically boiled down to Ahmad Carroll and Lawrence Richardson, who I think was seen as a huge risk at the time for off the field/academic stuff. 

Petrino was a much better recruiter than anyone gives him credit for, in my opinion.   He just recruited differently.

Nutt was historically terrible at out of state recruiting. Felix Jones and Carroll are really about it.

I dont remember Jason Peters being that highly recruited either, and I followed recruiting pretty hard back then.

A very stable genius.

Offline bakervscarrr

• puts honey on his pizza
  • Boar
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 08:36:41 AM »
Zach Stadther is all the way down at 243. I'd take a clone of him on the line every single year.

His wife is my son's teacher this year. I'd take a clone of her teaching him every single year.

He ran into them in Barnes & Noble on a trip there with his grandparents. They said the husband was a big man. That he'd played football for the Razorbacks. The lightbulb finally came on for me. I'd never made the connection in like four months.

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 08:49:21 AM »
Good lord, we've had a lot of high ranked recruiting busts.

Here's to growing up in an Empire during the decadent years!

Official motto of Woopig P&R board "Wear a cup tl;dr"

Offline acater

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 08:58:31 AM »

That defense dominated that KState team that day.

A very stable genius.

Offline hit_that_line

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 09:02:11 AM »
Peters was highly touted as a DL.

"You're hurt son? Shit just because my dick hurts doesn't mean I quit fucking."

Online ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »
That defense dominated that KState team that day.

They sure did.  I think KSU came out with a scripted drive to open the second half with a score but they got shut down after that.

As far as all-time Arkansas commits - and this was way before the internet - but the recruitment and landing of Jerry Eckwood was epic.  Almost Marcus Dupree proportions.  Tons of hype and anticipation.

It seemed like Eckwood was injured in probably every odd numbered year and he never consistently panned out they way he had been hyped, college or pro, but when he was healthy you could see the brilliance.  Great combination of strength and speed and evasiveness.

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline arkansawyer

• A Shoat
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »

Completely agree. That as well as him "encouraging" Brandon Mitchell to transfer because it was "better for him" were major red flags. I wanted to be optimistic so I ignored them, but certainly raised on eyebrow at the time.

Brandon Mitchell would've been worth another few wins in Bert's first year. The fact he had an NFL tight-end taking snaps at QB instead of a fifth year senior that was groomed by Petrino is one of the dumbest things Bert ever managed to do. And that's saying a lot.

Offline jsimp

• Boar
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 11:45:16 AM »
They sure did.  I think KSU came out with a scripted drive to open the second half with a score but they got shut down after that.

As far as all-time Arkansas commits - and this was way before the internet - but the recruitment and landing of Jerry Eckwood was epic.  Almost Marcus Dupree proportions.  Tons of hype and anticipation.

It seemed like Eckwood was injured in probably every odd numbered year and he never consistently panned out they way he had been hyped, college or pro, but when he was healthy you could see the brilliance.  Great combination of strength and speed and evasiveness.

my old man said eckwood was the baddest dude he ever saw until ced Houston came along. a man amongst boys

Offline ElvisHog

• King of the Hogs

Offline BigDavis

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »
I didn't remember Jeb Huckba being ranked that high. Also pretty sure he's not from Sheridan.

Offline ElvisHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 11:53:37 AM »
Dang! Quinta Funderburk - Class of 2011. #31 Receiver in the class. Career stats between Arkansas and Norfolk State? Three catches for 50 yards.

https://www.nsuspartans.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2769

At SU (2012-14)
Lettered two years, in 2013 and 2014 … Sat out the 2012-13 year due to NCAA transfer rules … Played in four games as a sophomore in 2013, catching three passes for 50 yards … Made two catches for 22 yards against Northwestern, and one catch for 28 yards against Boston College … Member of Fall 2013 Athletic Director's Honor Roll … Played in eight games in 2014, but did not accumulate any statistics.

At Arkansas (2011)
Enrolled at Arkansas in the spring of 2011, but did not play in any games during the 2011 season.

Offline BigDavis

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
Dang! Quinta Funderburk - Class of 2011. #31 Receiver in the class. Career stats between Arkansas and Norfolk State? Three catches for 50 yards.

https://www.nsuspartans.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2769

At SU (2012-14)
Lettered two years, in 2013 and 2014 … Sat out the 2012-13 year due to NCAA transfer rules … Played in four games as a sophomore in 2013, catching three passes for 50 yards … Made two catches for 22 yards against Northwestern, and one catch for 28 yards against Boston College … Member of Fall 2013 Athletic Director's Honor Roll … Played in eight games in 2014, but did not accumulate any statistics.

At Arkansas (2011)
Enrolled at Arkansas in the spring of 2011, but did not play in any games during the 2011 season.

8 games and didn't record a single catch? That's rough.

Offline Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 11:59:26 AM »
8 games and didn't record a single catch? That's rough.
Tough to get a catch on kickoff coverage team.

That was not a good team we barely beat at home.  We seriously may not win another game this season. - BASS January 20, 2018, 07:40:43 PM