Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 2018 High School Football  (Read 4489 times)

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hammer Down
Re: 2018 High School Football
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 12:20:38 AM »
PA ranked preseason #80 nationally by High School Football America.  The only Arkansas school ranked in the preseason top 100.
http://highschoolfootballamerica.com/high-school-football-america-preseason-100/

Anyone know PA's all-time record against the 7A West?

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

"I can understand your disdain for Arkansas people when all you've had exposure to is the NW Ark people. The natives are idiots and the imports are Yankees." - Lurk, May 2016

Offline Sweet River Baines

• Boar
  • Never tell me the odds...
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 09:48:02 AM »

Per Fearless Friday (who's records go back to 2001), their only game against a 7A West team was a 62-0 loss to Springdale in 2003.

It looks like they're playing Har-Ber this year on zero week (Aug. 24th).

Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 4:11 Posi-trac out back, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some fuckin' muscle.

Offline Cerdo

• Despacito
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 12:37:06 PM »
Chuckle. 

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
  • Jump Back, Kiss Myself!
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 10:55:25 PM »
Per Fearless Friday (who's records go back to 2001), their only game against a 7A West team was a 62-0 loss to Springdale in 2003.

It looks like they're playing Har-Ber this year on zero week (Aug. 24th).
2003 at Springdale was a long time ago. 
The opener at Har Ber should be interesting.  This PA team is not as strong as the past two seasons.  Lots of new starters.  Only 6 returning starters.  They have not been as dominant at 7 on 7 this summer.
PA is 5A but has a 4A enrollment. 310 kids in grades 9-12 going up against 2400 at Har Ber.  PA's  310 is slightly more than Elkins at 304.  Most wouldn't put the Elks in the 7A West. 
By the way, the last PA loss to an Arkansas team was November 22, 2013, against Morrilton.  46 straight against Arkansas teams.  I suspect that ends this year.  Maybe even week one.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:57:47 PM by SpiderHam »

Offline Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 11:40:33 AM »
The opener at Har Ber should be interesting.  This PA team is not as strong as the past two seasons.  Lots of new starters.  Only 6 returning starters.  They have not been as dominant at 7 on 7 this summer.
PA is 5A but has a 4A enrollment. 310 kids in grades 9-12 going up against 2400 at Har Ber.  PA's  310 is slightly more than Elkins at 304.  Most wouldn't put the Elks in the 7A West. 
By the way, the last PA loss to an Arkansas team was November 22, 2013, against Morrilton.  46 straight against Arkansas teams.  I suspect that ends this year.  Maybe even week one.
Shouldnt the #80 ranked team in the country (only Ark team ranked in top 100) easily beat every other HS team in the state? Or are you suggesting those ranking are bullshit like most of us know they are?

That was not a good team we barely beat at home.  We seriously may not win another game this season. - BASS January 20, 2018, 07:40:43 PM

Offline jsimp

• Boar
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2018, 12:43:53 PM »
PA is 5A but has a 4A enrollment. 310 kids in grades 9-12 going up against 2400 at Har Ber.  PA's  310 is slightly more than Elkins at 304.  Most wouldn't put the Elks in the 7A West

you obviously don't have to apologize for being a pa parent/fan/booster or whatever, fuck the haters. but this here is about a dumbass comparison

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hammer Down
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2018, 03:44:24 PM »
you obviously don't have to apologize for being a pa parent/fan/booster or whatever, fuck the haters. but this here is about a dumbass comparison

I agree.  Be proud, same as I would tell Shiloh people.  But don't for a second compare yourself to Elkins.  Nobody is moving to Elkins to play ball.

"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

"I can understand your disdain for Arkansas people when all you've had exposure to is the NW Ark people. The natives are idiots and the imports are Yankees." - Lurk, May 2016

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2018, 07:13:24 PM »
Shouldnt the #80 ranked team in the country (only Ark team ranked in top 100) easily beat every other HS team in the state? Or are you suggesting those ranking are bullshit like most of us know they are?
46 times in a row PA has beaten the Arkansas team they played.  They got stomped by Springdale 15 years ago but beat (an admittedly not very good) 7A Cabot by 30 points in 2011 at Cabot.  PA has played Springdale, West Memphis, Cabot, Warren, and Greenwood in the past 15 years and would have played several quality teams if they would schedule PA, You can only beat or lose to the teams you play on your schedule. In the past several years, PA has had to go out of state to complete their non-conference schedule.  That is because few higher classification teams in Arkansas will play PA.  What do they have to gain?   After the beatdown they put on what turned out to be an 11-2 Highland Park Texas team a few years ago that is especially true.  Several Texas HS commentators said HIghland Park should not have played PA.  "You don't schedule them."  https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/video/519943235706
A bunch of Arkansas schools have taken that approach.

I suspect those rankings are pretty accurate for the top 15 teams or so.  I know PA made a game of it against Salt Lake City East a few years ago but was not really in their class.  East is #51 in this year's ranking. 
Given that PA has 6 returning starters, yes I think the rankings are BS.  They are a tribute to coaching and past success but no more than that.  I'd still rather get that accolade than not get it though. 

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2018, 07:16:23 PM »
46 times in a row PA has beaten the Arkansas team they played.  They got stomped by Springdale 15 years ago but beat (an admittedly not very good) 7A Cabot by 30 points in 2011 at Cabot.  PA has played Springdale, West Memphis, Cabot, Warren, and Greenwood in the past 15 years and would have played several quality teams if they would schedule PA, You can only beat or lose to the teams you play on your schedule. In the past several years, PA has had to go out of state to complete their non-conference schedule.  That is because few higher classification teams in Arkansas will play PA.  What do they have to gain?   After the beatdown they put on what turned out to be an 11-2 Highland Park Texas team a few years ago that is especially true.  Several Texas HS commentators said HIghland Park should not have played PA.  "You don't schedule them."  https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/video/519943235706
A bunch of Arkansas schools have taken that approach.

I suspect those rankings are pretty accurate for the top 15 teams or so.  I know PA made a game of it against Salt Lake City East a few years ago but was not really in their class.  East is #51 in this year's ranking. 
Given that PA has 6 returning starters, yes I think the rankings are BS.  They are a tribute to coaching and past success but no more than that.  I'd still rather get that accolade than not get it though.

I'm asking, because I dont know. Why would an Arkansas HS not schedule a game with PA when that has zero impact on their post season chances or chances at a state title? Does PA travel well or is it more lucrative to schedule a larger school for those games?

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

A very stable genius.

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »
I agree.  Be proud, same as I would tell Shiloh people.  But don't for a second compare yourself to Elkins.  Nobody is moving to Elkins to play ball.
Just putting it out there that few people realize just how small PA is.  They have 310 students in grades 9-12.  Just 6 more than Elkins.  They schedule and compete against schools that are 6-7 times their size routinely. 
I am very proud of them.  Obviously. 

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
  • Member #1 - Chad Morris Darksider Club (12/4/17)
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »
Just putting it out there that few people realize just how small PA is.  They have 310 students in grades 9-12.  Just 6 more than Elkins.  They schedule and compete against schools that are 6-7 times their size routinely. 

Doesn’t PA recruit players too?  I honestly don’t know but have always heard that when talking about Arkansas private schools.

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2018, 09:30:59 PM »
I'm asking, because I dont know. Why would an Arkansas HS not schedule a game with PA when that has zero impact on their post season chances or chances at a state title? Does PA travel well or is it more lucrative to schedule a larger school for those games?
PA travels pretty well but is a small school overall.
The reason to not play PA is that they run a fairly unique system with the never punting, onsides kicking philosophy.
For most teams, playing against that doesn't get you ready to play most teams in your conference especially if your conference is a run-happy bunch of teams.  Obviously, a non-conference loss doesn't hurt your chances for the postseason, but it still is a loss. 
One of the Texas HS former coaches said about playing PA, "I wouldn't play them.  You learn nothing about your team playing that type of unique system and they don't get you ready to play ________."

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2018, 09:47:25 PM »
PA travels pretty well but is a small school overall.
The reason to not play PA is that they run a fairly unique system with the never punting, onsides kicking philosophy.
For most teams, playing against that doesn't get you ready to play most teams in your conference especially if your conference is a run-happy bunch of teams.  Obviously, a non-conference loss doesn't hurt your chances for the postseason, but it still is a loss. 
One of the Texas HS former coaches said about playing PA, "I wouldn't play them.  You learn nothing about your team playing that type of unique system and they don't get you ready to play ________."

That makes sense. YOu have to spend a week working on 4th down scenarios and on side kick recovery.

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

A very stable genius.

Offline hogsrunwild

• King of the Hogs
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2018, 06:34:01 AM »

Do they give scholarships and such?  I mean, for the Elkins example, it would be like if Elkins was a private school and the kids that weren’t quite good enough to start for Fayetteville could get a scholarship and come play for Elkins and get the chance to play all over and travel and such.  See Shiloh back on the day... obviously you need a good coach and system to make it work effectively, but that is how to ‘punch above your weight’ in HS sports.  You can have only 300 kids but you are picking kids from a much, much larger pool of kids if you can recruit.

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2018, 05:51:47 PM »
Do they give scholarships and such?  I mean, for the Elkins example, it would be like if Elkins was a private school and the kids that weren’t quite good enough to start for Fayetteville could get a scholarship and come play for Elkins and get the chance to play all over and travel and such.  See Shiloh back on the day... obviously you need a good coach and system to make it work effectively, but that is how to ‘punch above your weight’ in HS sports.  You can have only 300 kids but you are picking kids from a much, much larger pool of kids if you can recruit.
PA does give need-based awards and that has been some of the criticism toward the school as the football team has a higher percentage of those awards then the overall school population.  None of them are full rides and all are completely need-based and done by a third party.  Tuition last year was a little over $14k per year.  There are a few academic full scholarships.  I don't think any of the current recipients are athletes.  Their pictures are posted on a link from this page.  https://www.pulaskiacademy.org/page/admission/financial-aid
I do suspect there was a little bit of recruiting back in the day.  The Brodrick Green transfer comes to mind.  I don't think that is the case any longer.  The program recruits itself.  They have lost a few really good players that transferred out and played at other big high schools.  The Bryant QB last year was a perfect example.
 He was not going to beat out Hatcher.  He transferred to Bryant and started at QB there the past two seasons.  The few that do transfer in come in Jr high.  Winning football attracts players that want to play for winning teams.  If you live in central Arkansas and want to play football and get a good education, PA is a great place to do both.  They place a ton of kids in the football programs at Ivy League and similar academic institutions that otherwise those kids would not even sniff getting into.  A kid is going to Columbia this year that was PA's top WR last year.  He wouldn't stand a chance getting into that school without a football hook.  It is a fantastic opportunity for him. 
95% of the past three years football players had been at the school since at least 5th grade.  Most of them had been there the whole time. 

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • I am surrounded by my privilege
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »
What 40 time does one need to be qualified for that reduced tutition?

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2018, 08:15:45 AM »
PA does give need-based awards and that has been some of the criticism toward the school as the football team has a higher percentage of those awards then the overall school population.  None of them are full rides and all are completely need-based and done by a third party.  Tuition last year was a little over $14k per year.  There are a few academic full scholarships.  I don't think any of the current recipients are athletes.  Their pictures are posted on a link from this page.  https://www.pulaskiacademy.org/page/admission/financial-aid
I do suspect there was a little bit of recruiting back in the day.  The Brodrick Green transfer comes to mind.  I don't think that is the case any longer.  The program recruits itself.  They have lost a few really good players that transferred out and played at other big high schools.  The Bryant QB last year was a perfect example.
 He was not going to beat out Hatcher.  He transferred to Bryant and started at QB there the past two seasons.  The few that do transfer in come in Jr high.  Winning football attracts players that want to play for winning teams.  If you live in central Arkansas and want to play football and get a good education, PA is a great place to do both.  They place a ton of kids in the football programs at Ivy League and similar academic institutions that otherwise those kids would not even sniff getting into.  A kid is going to Columbia this year that was PA's top WR last year.  He wouldn't stand a chance getting into that school without a football hook.  It is a fantastic opportunity for him. 
95% of the past three years football players had been at the school since at least 5th grade.  Most of them had been there the whole time.

I've always suspected (educated guess you might say) that one or more boosters have paid full tuition for a couple of difference makers here and there.  From what I've heard it's not widespread.  And like you've said, the bulk of the kids on the team any given year have been there since at least middle school, with probably 80-90% being there since kindergarten or even pre-K. 

Unless something has changed in the last year or so, the maximum amount you can get through official financial aid is a 25% reduction in tuition. 

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Wild Hog
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2018, 02:22:08 PM »
With the restrictions of transfer to private schools, folks can back off the recruiting crap, and I am a big time public school sports supporter.  Obviously, where there is money, there is shady stuff going on.  The PA coach has gotten a little better with his arrogance (imagine as you read this me giving you the universal "smidgen" sign of holding my index finger just above my thumb by maybe a few centimeters--all this soccer I've watched has me speaking in metric; wow).  I love to see some of the woopiggas get fired up with Dirk and Dr. Spiderham, but, shoot, if your kids attend school somewhere, you support the school (hopefully).

An interesting thing about the PA HarBer game, is a small group of daddies got mad at HarBer's coach and started a min-revolt that led to mabye 10 guys, or a few more than that, transferring to Springdale High.  As far as I know, there were no starters, but lots of depth.  Playing in zero week could mean the big school's advantage of having more players may be negated.

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2018, 05:15:32 PM »
I've always suspected (educated guess you might say) that one or more boosters have paid full tuition for a couple of difference makers here and there.  From what I've heard it's not widespread.  And like you've said, the bulk of the kids on the team any given year have been there since at least middle school, with probably 80-90% being there since kindergarten or even pre-K. 

Unless something has changed in the last year or so, the maximum amount you can get through official financial aid is a 25% reduction in tuition.
I am certain you are correct.  I got approached several years ago to "help".  I declined.  In the past, there was some shady stuff going on through the booster club funneling money to parents to pay for their son to attend.  I haven't heard of anything since that time.  Probably 2009 or2010. 
My youngest graduated last year.  PA has gotten their last cent from me. 
I do love to stir up the Woopiggas though Author.   :D

Offline bigghurtt

• Sockpuppet of an angry god
  • King of the Hogs
  • Prying open, my brown eye...wait...damnit.
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2018, 08:49:52 PM »
All y’all acting like it’s an unfair advantage for teams that recruit – at Harrison, we didn’t even get to use black kids.

This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline bogey7

• Boar
  • Pick-up Stix Champion
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2018, 08:55:27 PM »
All y’all acting like it’s an unfair advantage for teams that recruit – at Harrison, we didn’t even get to use black kids.

Not sure, but I believe you meant to post this in another thread.

http://woopig.net/board/index.php/topic,89013.0.html

Never waste a hard-on, and never trust a fart.

Offline deesnutts

• Wild Hog
  • you only live, til you die
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2018, 09:01:22 PM »

Naw man you can but you better have your ass outta town by sundown

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
  • Stirke First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2018, 11:40:50 PM »
In benefit game action Greenwood beat Fayetteville 37-0 in two quarters.  Bryant beat PA.  Bryant abd NLR should be the teams to beat in 7A

I got the glory, got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali, getting drunk on the reg. Fucking good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg, basically all the shit men fanta

Offline BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2018, 11:58:16 PM »
shit man, when i graduated high school bryant had been to the state playoffs all of once.  in 1987 when i was 9.  dickface daryl patton was the quarterback.  after beating benton and making the playoffs he thought he was god's gift to the world.  then he ended up coaching bryant jr high football and me in high school track.  now he's at the bustling metropolis of bauxite.

Drives in the left lane with the hammer down.

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2018, 01:02:17 AM »
In benefit game action Greenwood beat Fayetteville 37-0 in two quarters.  Bryant beat PA.  Bryant abd NLR should be the teams to beat in 7A
PA did not look like PA of years past.  The starters lost to Bryant 31-21.  Bryant will be good.  PA will not dominate like in years past but could be pretty good by the end of the season.  The offensive line is not very good right now and the young QB was never comfortable in the pocket.