Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Solar Panels  (Read 7097 times)

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • Emperor of Woopig
Re: Solar Panels
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 03:39:08 PM »
I wonder if cheap solar power increases the migration from northern states to southern states?

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

"Grant couldn't practice, we put a green shirt on him, he kept trying to put the red on but 'no no no, we're not gunna touch you' Then he goes out and has that game. He's out there holding his elbow and goes and picks off a pass to win. He is Arkansas." - Pittman

Offline wvhawgfan

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2020, 10:48:00 PM »
IANAS but battery technology sucks and is limiting a lot of innovation.
This has more to do with it than anything.

Panels have tripled their efficiency in the past five years, while also reducing in price about 35-50% (depending on size).

The biggest driver to this has been residential, or extremely large scale. Mainly because they can use every bit of the power.

The regulation changes that most utility companies did a few years ago, allowing net metering (or buying power) did help as well.

If we can ever come up with reasonably priced, fairly environmentally friendly, large scale storage then that would be a game changer.

Or if we can ever figure out the hydrogen fuel cell. It would also be nice if people could get over their phobia of nuclear power and actually look at the facts and not the hyperbole.

Offline Buffinator

• TheBESTWhiteMeat
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2020, 07:53:51 AM »

Or if we can ever figure out the hydrogen fuel cell. It would also be nice if people could get over their phobia of nuclear power and actually look at the facts and not the hyperbole.

Some of those European islands use windmills to power a hydrolysis or something process that separates hydrogen for storage in generators that power the island towns when the wind stops blowing. 

If everyone goes wind/solar, like some weird California fantasy, eventually disposal of used batteries and panels and mining for new materials is going to become an issue.  Tesla's million-mile battery supposedly uses far less cobalt than the current models.

Anyone know anyone that's used those solar shingles?  If I ever build myself a house it's going to have a kickass solar system and hydronic heating/cooling system.  Using the ground as a heat exchanger is so genius that I can't believe I don't see more houses being built with a system.

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.

Offline wvhawgfan

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2020, 02:38:26 PM »

Anyone know anyone that's used those solar shingles?  If I ever build myself a house it's going to have a kickass solar system and hydronic heating/cooling system.  Using the ground as a heat exchanger is so genius that I can't believe I don't see more houses being built with a system.

As you would probably guess the shingles aren't nearly as efficient compared to the panels. However, I've heard decent things as far as the cost trade off (added cost vs regular shingles compared to money saved on electric bill).

As far as geothermal, it really all depends on how deep you have to bury the pipes. If the ground you build on has good thermal properties, not using it would be somewhat negligent.

Offline Buffinator

• TheBESTWhiteMeat
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 12:29:32 PM »
Not my expertise but the water table in most places where I've drilled holes in Arkansas was perfect for the cooling part of a heat pump system.  I'd guess here in Oklahoma you'd have to punch the holes a little deeper and deal with the shitty sandstones, but a good sonic rig will handle most weathered rock and shale in the ground - if I was installing pumps anywhere that would be the first rig I put on a job, maybe with a backup for hard granite or limestone bedrock.

If you live between Lawson road and Jessieville then you're probably just fucked if you sit on top of novaculite.  Jesus that was hard to drill through.  /nerdalerting

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2020, 12:51:19 PM »
As you would probably guess the shingles aren't nearly as efficient compared to the panels. However, I've heard decent things as far as the cost trade off (added cost vs regular shingles compared to money saved on electric bill).

As far as geothermal, it really all depends on how deep you have to bury the pipes. If the ground you build on has good thermal properties, not using it would be somewhat negligent.

The wife and I are seriously thinking about the shingles if we ever have to replace the roof on this place.  We run about $700-1000 a month electric bill in the summer and probably $300 or so from here out.  If it can put a good dent into that, it might be worthwhile to do it if it can save us maybe 4k a year or so.   We have also thought about doing the wall battery pack thing to help with the night time costs and in the event SHTF, we would be good on electricity.

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Offline acater

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2020, 02:02:01 PM »

The wife and I are seriously thinking about the shingles if we ever have to replace the roof on this place.  We run about $700-1000 a month electric bill in the summer and probably $300 or so from here out.  If it can put a good dent into that, it might be worthwhile to do it if it can save us maybe 4k a year or so.   We have also thought about doing the wall battery pack thing to help with the night time costs and in the event SHTF, we would be good on electricity.

Holy Shit! I get mad at $300 a month in the summer on a 3,000 sq ft house.

"Grant couldn't practice, we put a green shirt on him, he kept trying to put the red on but 'no no no, we're not gunna touch you' Then he goes out and has that game. He's out there holding his elbow and goes and picks off a pass to win. He is Arkansas." - Pittman

Offline wvhawgfan

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2020, 03:54:38 PM »

If/when we have to replace the roof, I'd go that route myself. Not sure if I'd spend the extra on a complete Tesla Roof system or not.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2020, 03:56:15 PM »
If/when we have to replace the roof, I'd go that route myself. Not sure if I'd spend the extra on a complete Tesla Roof system or not.

How well do they handle the hail?

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline wvhawgfan

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2020, 04:18:46 PM »
How well do they handle the hail?
The only experience I have is with the panels, not the shingles. Surprisingly the panels hold up quite well, and hail damage is also covered under warranty.

I would imagine that the shingles would hold up fairly well also. What I'd want to verify if I used them would is if there was a built in "bypass" circuit so that if a few shingles were damages it didn't  cause any major issues in the system.

I know the panels work that way. If one panel goes out the rest keep delivering power to the service.

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2020, 04:35:07 PM »

I'm torn on the roof system from Tesla.  I do like the idea of solar/shingles just to keep the bill down some.  It really comes down to economics and gov't subsidies and such.  The idea of having a huge battery to power the house in the event of a power outage really appeals to me...

Likely getting new AC units would help quite a bit for less money, but that day is coming anyway.

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Boar Bidet or Board Witch
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2020, 05:50:10 PM »
Some of those European islands use windmills to power a hydrolysis or something process that separates hydrogen for storage in generators that power the island towns when the wind stops blowing. 

If everyone goes wind/solar, like some weird California fantasy, eventually disposal of used batteries and panels and mining for new materials is going to become an issue.  Tesla's million-mile battery supposedly uses far less cobalt than the current models.

every new home here has solar powered shingles or panels. I’m running on some sorta huge water pump to heat and cool my place and I average in winter and summer $30 tops. The highest it was ever was $34 this summer. It’s fucking awesome.

Speaking of windmills....all those big ass windmills out in Kansas how the fuck do they capture energy and transfer it? That’s baffling to me. I don’t understand how it’s captured and transported to homes

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Offline wvhawgfan

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2020, 05:56:25 PM »

Speaking of windmills....all those big ass windmills out in Kansas how the fuck do they capture energy and transfer it? That’s baffling to me. I don’t understand how it’s captured and transported to homes
Same way a hydro electric dam does. The wind (water) turns the turbine around. The more it turns, the more electricity it makes. Then you run it thru a few transformers, and tie it into the electrical grid (power poles).

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Boar Bidet or Board Witch
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2020, 05:57:39 PM »
Same way a hydro electric dam does. The wind (water) turns the turbine around. The more it turns, the more electricity it makes. Then you run it thru a few transformers, and tie it into the electrical grid (power poles).
yeah that’s over my head and I need in lay terms.

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Offline BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2020, 06:05:35 PM »
yeah that’s over my head and I need in lay terms.

all electricity that is not solar is created by spinning a generator, which creates alternating current.  nukes, coal, hydro, gas, oil, wind mills...they all achieve the same thing, spinning the generator.  nukes, coal, gas, and oil spin the generator by heating water and releasing high pressure steam through a turbine (fancy word for fan blades).  hydro dams use the weight and pressure of water at the bottom of a lake flowing through turbines to spin them.  doesn't really matter how you spin the generator.  the faster it is spun, the more electricity you create.

your car has an alternating current generator in it.  it is about the size of cantaloupe and attached to the rubber belt that is spun by the engine while running.  this creates all the electricity needed to run your car...battery alone has no where near the power needed to run all the electronics, head lights, etc. in your car.  this little nifty car part is called the....

wait for it...

alternator.  because it creates alternating current.  if it goes out while driving your car will shut down immediately.  power brakes, power steering, lights, engine, all gone. 

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:08:22 PM by BASS »

Offline Buffinator

• TheBESTWhiteMeat
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2020, 10:08:44 PM »
The original Tesla discovered that you could spin a magnet inside a ring of copper coils and create an electric current.  That’s all they are, with gearings to make the shaft spin faster than the windmill is turning.  And then all that stuff BASS mentioned.

Offline acater

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2020, 11:35:24 PM »

It's all ball bearings.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2020, 02:03:12 AM »
every new home here has solar powered shingles or panels. I’m running on some sorta huge water pump to heat and cool my place and I average in winter and summer $30 tops. The highest it was ever was $34 this summer. It’s fucking awesome.

The issues of electricity generation are many, as described by the Bass and WV an Buff and Cater, but the real gain in microgeneration is efficiency because the closer one is to the generator, say a solar panel system on one's roof, the less loss there is in transmission.  Our reliance of faraway power plants has given us a grid that is inefficient.  About 50% of the power generated at traditional power plants is lost, simply faded away in the wires.  Microgeneration on homes, warehouses, and buildings could be a big savings.  No one talks about tidal currents as a generator on shorelines; that is a huge source of energy four times a day.  Storage is also an issue as already said; power companies have to sell their electrons about as fast as they make them.

HRW you should have an energy audit on your house.  To run that kind of bill indicates youre burning a ton of juice on either your HVAC or pool.  Attic insulation or lack thereof, shitty attic ventilation, shitty ductwork, window leakage, old inefficient units all contribute.  Unless youre keeping your thermostat at 48 on 105 days.