Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register.

Author Topic: Back Pain  (Read 715 times)

Offline Turd F.

• Skiddly biddly bop
  • Boar
Back Pain
« on: September 15, 2018, 05:57:19 PM »
I've had debilitating SI joint pain since this past Monday morning. It's in my left upper buttock, lower back area and sometimes the pain shoots through my groin. I can manage the pain for the most part, but sliding out of a car, makes me audibly groan in pain with my teeth clenched--that's how painful it is. I hate driving anywhere knowing I have to get out and when I do, I try to move my seat forward for extra lumbar support. It's like when there's a few second of pain when leaning forward to get out and after that I'm fine.

I can only guess it came from using an elliptical machine as I do most of my weights on machines, so my back/lower back is stabilized. Anyone else had this and how long did it take you to get over it? Best self remedies or do I need to see a doc and just get some deadening shots? Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:42:09 PM by Turd F. »
Nick Cave: "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
Re: SI Joint Pain
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 01:05:12 AM »
Are you in Fayetteville?

Offline Turd F.

• Skiddly biddly bop
  • Boar
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:24:48 AM »
No, Houston.

Nick Cave: "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

Offline Tanny Bogus

• Haunting Wickes since the mid-50's
  • King of the Hogs
  • Longtime Fan of Roger E. Mosley
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »
Here are a few exercises you can do for sciatica.  These guys have some really simple useful videos.

Offline bar_hog

• Boar
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 01:02:07 PM »
If it's truly pinched sciatica. Go see a chiropractor

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 05:32:23 PM »
Go see this guy.  You'll need to fill out an online contact form because they don't answer their phone.  They will answer you back quick.

https://advancedhoustonchiropractor.com

Offline Turd F.

• Skiddly biddly bop
  • Boar
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 06:41:40 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I was miserable earlier today, so I went to The Joint, a chain of Chiropractic places open on the weekend as I couldn't take it anymore. The doctor there did an adjustment and some other tests and said it was Piriformis Syndrome and not sciatica. I swear to god my back locked up on me as I was making a left turn into that place and if I would have had to make a sudden maneuver to avoid an accident, I would have been toast.

That area acted up a couple of more times driving home when I had to make a couple of stops--it wasn't this bad at the beginning of last week. She recommended a couple of stretching exercises as well as icing it and eating/taking anti-inflammatories like pineapple and chopped garlic in the morning with honey (yum). I'm going to see her again this week and see if things improve. She stated that this will be an ongoing process, which I understand, but I have to get this resolved in a few weeks before I go on that trip with the family.

Razor B, thank you for the recommendation. I will look at that place if this place doesn't resolve the issue. I just wish he accepted my insurance as he's not in my network.

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
  • Member #1 - Chad Morris Darksider Club (12/4/17)
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I was miserable earlier today, so I went to The Joint, a chain of Chiropractic places open on the weekend as I couldn't take it anymore. The doctor there did an adjustment and some other tests and said it was Piriformis Syndrome and not sciatica. I swear to god my back locked up on me as I was making a left turn into that place and if I would have had to make a sudden maneuver to avoid an accident, I would have been toast.

That area acted up a couple of more times driving home when I had to make a couple of stops--it wasn't this bad at the beginning of last week. She recommended a couple of stretching exercises as well as icing it and eating/taking anti-inflammatories like pineapple and chopped garlic in the morning with honey (yum). I'm going to see her again this week and see if things improve. She stated that this will be an ongoing process, which I understand, but I have to get this resolved in a few weeks before I go on that trip with the family.

Razor B, thank you for the recommendation. I will look at that place if this place doesn't resolve the issue. I just wish he accepted my insurance as he's not in my network.

I’ve had two back surgeries. Last one was 15 years ago and was in Houston. If you have to see a doctor I recommend Henry Blum.  I saw him Thursday for my knee. I’m not sure if he still does back surgery but he can probably recommend someone equally as good.

Offline Turd F.

• Skiddly biddly bop
  • Boar
Re: Back Pain
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 08:48:15 PM »
I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that as I know people who've had back surgeries and it they often wonder if it did any good. Thank you for the recommendation, though, and I'll certainly look at going to him if it comes to that.

I'm going to this chiropractor 9 times in the next 3 weeks (bought a package of appointments for a discounted rate). If I'm still messed up at that point, I'll know I have a more serious problem. Also taking anti-inflammatory foods to work for breakfast and breaks hoping they'll help at least a little bit.

Offline BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 08:51:47 PM »
I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that as I know people who've had back surgeries and it they often wonder if it did any good. Thank you for the recommendation, though, and I'll certainly look at going to him if it comes to that.

I'm going to this chiropractor 9 times in the next 3 weeks (bought a package of appointments for a discounted rate). If I'm still messed up at that point, I'll know I have a more serious problem. Also taking anti-inflammatory foods to work for breakfast and breaks hoping they'll help at least a little bit.

lots of medical professionals in my family.  they say all the orthopaedic guys will tell you that when you start fucking with the spine and neck you got a 50/50 shot of fucking up as much or more than you fix during surgery. 

chad darksider number 2

Offline asshat

• not just any asshat
  • Boar
  • Hates all things Auburn
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 05:04:11 AM »

this was a result of firing an ad, and letting the fat cats chase a pipe dream that was a coach who was never coming to arkansas. then when that played out, to let the richest guy in the room make the decision.

Offline OP

• Still Cranky After All These Years
  • Boar
  • I still tingle at the bottom of my balls
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 06:07:35 PM »
My dad has had chronic, and occasionally serious, back trouble for 50 years.  Has had several surgeries none of which completely fixed things.

I've had sciatica a couple times.  Last one I got cortisone shot.  Made my ass feel like I got a paddling, but cleared the back thing up in less than two days.  YMMV.

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 07:32:26 PM »
I’m just the opposite. Had cortisone shots and pills. Did nothing. Lived in pain for years. Had the back surgeries and both time woke up completely healed.

Offline Turd F.

• Skiddly biddly bop
  • Boar
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 09:15:59 PM »
I went to a doctor at the spinal center of my usual clinic and he diagnosed it as a lower back strain. I still have strength and some flexibility, just not in that area and I don't feel any pain shooting down my leg or anything. He said I likely messed it up over time lifting weights and on the treadmill since I always choose the random setting which means going up hills. He said that's a huge no-no. Future workouts will be core strengthening, stationary bike, and elliptical once I'm able.

Got some muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories to do with stretching exercises and am going to PT next week. Relieved to hear it wasn't something all that bad and it wasn't as bad as the chiropractor thought it was. I took one anti-inflammatory at work around 4 and had no back spasms while driving and no pain getting out of the car (although I still have to do it very carefully). Yay, drugs. 

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
lots of medical professionals in my family.  they say all the orthopaedic guys will tell you that when you start fucking with the spine and neck you got a 50/50 shot of fucking up as much or more than you fix during surgery.

I've always been told it's in thirds.  1/3 improve, 1/3 stay the same, 1/3 get worse.

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 10:55:03 AM »
I've always been told it's in thirds.  1/3 improve, 1/3 stay the same, 1/3 get worse.

I have no basis for this opinion other than the small sample of people I know who have had back surgeries but there seems to be a direct correlation between physical health and how successful the surgery is. 

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 04:34:31 PM »
My wife has serious arthritis and has had both knees replaced.  She recently had her L4 and L5 fused as she had zero cartilage on L5.  The surgery went well, the pain was far less than the knees, and less debilitating.  She is religious with her PT and exercises.  It takes forever for these two bones to fuse but she has far more stability and the pain is far less than it was.

The follow up rehab is critical.  Evidently a lot of folks have the surgery and then complain it didn't do anything to help.  Did you do your PT and exercise? No, whats that got to do with it?  idiots.

Offline iNOVAhog

• Boar
  • woopig.net
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 02:17:26 PM »
I had 3 of 5 herniated discs surgically trimmed down 20 years ago and they still give me problems of course.  I have to do extensive stretches 3-5 times a day to keep the bod in good alignment.  I also hang upside down twice a day using an inversion table.  I do intense core and ab exercises twice a week too which helps a lot.