Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Why does the search feature suck?  (Read 2903 times)

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • King of the Hogs
Why does the search feature suck?
« on: March 30, 2019, 08:51:26 PM »
Multi word searches don’t work at all. I’ve had this problem for a while when looking up old threads.

I am searching for an old thread about a story in Wichita. I typed in several of the words involved in the story including Wichita and zero posts show up. If I just type in Wichita lots of posts show up so  I then added one of the words that was in one of those posts to my search and it resulted in zero posts found.

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

"What is he undermining exactly? You know, what democratic freedoms have been undermined?" Crenshaw asked. "We just had an election where we switched power in the House. Democracy is at work. People are voting in record numbers."

Offline OP

• Still Cranky After All These Years
  • Tush Hog
  • I still tingle at the bottom of my balls
Re: Why does the search feature suck?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 05:33:39 PM »
I agree.  I often try to look up old stuff.  Sometimes for re-research, sometimes to make sure I don't repeat myself.

Search function sucks.

I will throw in some $ if needed.  I suspect time is the real problem, though.

Y'all still do a great job.  We are patients.  😉

M

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 12:41:52 PM »
I'm not complaining at all since I'm just grateful the site is maintained as well as it is and costs me nothing.  But if someone is keeping a laundry list of cool search features, the ability to limit a search to a particular thread is something nice I've seen on some sites.

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 12:44:28 PM »
I'm not complaining at all since I'm just grateful the site is maintained as well as it is and costs me nothing.  But if someone is keeping a laundry list of cool search features, the ability to limit a search to a particular thread is something nice I've seen on some sites.

Print topic and search is what I do.

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline HRC

• Boar
  • WPS
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
We are looking into the search stuff but in the meantime, you can search this site or any site by doing something like this with google.

I fucking hate this search site:woopig.net

The ‘site:woopig.net’ is the key to letting google handle the search instead of woopig’s search function.

A lost chicken?  A chicken?  In the woods? - ElvisHog - 2/4/2004
---------------

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 12:49:15 PM »
E mentioned sometime back about rebuilding the search index but he probably got distracted taking pictures of his lawn.

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
Why does the search feature suck?
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 03:16:13 PM »
Duck Duck Go has a “bang” feature in its search but it’s more for computer nerds searching for specific Linux packages.

You use a ! <nerd stuff> <more search nerd stuff>.

It works pretty well. You can use it to search certain indexes like Amazon (!a) or eBay !e

:woopig.net is the same concept.

I’ve hated the search feature here for like 10 years. I’m not sure if that’s an issue with the forum format being used or if there is any sort of upgrade that can be done in particular for searches. I use search all the time but never think about going outside to google and doing it.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 03:18:58 PM by Animal »

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 05:25:48 PM »
We are looking into the search stuff but in the meantime, you can search this site or any site by doing something like this with google.

I fucking hate this search site:woopig.net

The ‘site:woopig.net’ is the key to letting google handle the search instead of woopig’s search function.

Duck Duck Go has a “bang” feature in its search but it’s more for computer nerds searching for specific Linux packages.

You use a ! <nerd stuff> <more search nerd stuff>.

It works pretty well. You can use it to search certain indexes like Amazon (!a) or eBay !e

:woopig.net is the same concept.

I’ve hated the search feature here for like 10 years. I’m not sure if that’s an issue with the forum format being used or if there is any sort of upgrade that can be done in particular for searches. I use search all the time but never think about going outside to google and doing it.

I dont know what either of you just said.

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

"What is he undermining exactly? You know, what democratic freedoms have been undermined?" Crenshaw asked. "We just had an election where we switched power in the House. Democracy is at work. People are voting in record numbers."

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Boar Bidet or Board Witch
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 05:51:59 PM »
The search feature does suck. Say you type in “stroke” you only get three pages of stroke mentions and I know for a fact it’s way more than that. Just saying

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 10:45:55 PM »
The search feature does suck. Say you type in “stroke” you only get three pages of stroke mentions and I know for a fact it’s way more than that. Just saying

When you type suck and stroke in the same post it makes me all tingly, mostly just on one side hen heiskan be there Jensen gebrkna

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.