Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register.

Author Topic: Dental Question  (Read 1474 times)

Offline One Quarter

• A Shoat
Dental Question
« on: April 11, 2019, 12:43:31 AM »
I ordered and received a de-scaling kit from Amazon for $14:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ACOE0KE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I learned the "catch" method of de-scaling on myself, and I and de-scaled all of my own teeth, gently.  It feels like a fresh cleaning!

To the dentists out there (e.g., DRYANKNPULL), are there any drawbacks in doing this to myself every month or so?

Also, is there any danger in me de-scaling my kids' teeth every so often?  The kit came with one of your dentist mirrors, so I can see the sides of the molars and such.  It's more like carpentry than medical science.  I feel like I can de-scale their teeth every month or so, and they'll get to keep the baby teeth for a few years, and the adult teeth forever.  I'm also pretty sure I can use the scaler to feel if their enamel is getting soft on top, without an x-ray.

The Amazon kit also came with a grabby forceps piece.  What could that possibly be for?  If it's for extraction, and the apocalypse comes, I feel I'm more than capable of some whisky dentistry.  Bring it on.

Offline razorwire

• King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net 3.0
Re: Dental Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 10:14:00 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ACOE0KE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I learned the "catch" method of de-scaling on myself, and I and de-scaled all of my own teeth, gently.  It feels like a fresh cleaning!

To the dentists out there (e.g., DRYANKNPULL), are there any drawbacks in doing this to myself every month or so?

Also, is there any danger in me de-scaling my kids' teeth every so often?  The kit came with one of your dentist mirrors, so I can see the sides of the molars and such.  It's more like carpentry than medical science.  I feel like I can de-scale their teeth every month or so, and they'll get to keep the baby teeth for a few years, and the adult teeth forever.  I'm also pretty sure I can use the scaler to feel if their enamel is getting soft on top, without an x-ray.

The Amazon kit also came with a grabby forceps piece.  What could that possibly be for?  If it's for extraction, and the apocalypse comes, I feel I'm more than capable of some whisky dentistry.  Bring it on.
Not to mention the screaming when you stick the scaler into your kid's "soft spot".

Offline hogsrunwild

• King of the Hogs
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 10:15:21 AM »
Not to mention the screaming when you stick the scaler into your kid's "soft spot".

Why would a person be using these instruments on a child’s head?  I’m confused.

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Offline West Texas Hog

• A Shoat
  • Now in Kansas City
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 09:36:30 PM »

You probably aren't going to do any harm by doing this.  But the kit doesn't look like it comes with a variety of instruments we would use that adapt to certain areas of the teeth which make it easier to clean better.  Keeping teeth clean and free of any build up is always a good thing.

I really don't see any harm in doing this.  I wouldn't attempt to replace regular dental exams and cleanings by doing this at home, but it is an acceptable adjunct.  By the time a patient knows they have a cavity, it is usually a big ass cavity and many times needs a root canal and/or a crown.  Catching them when they are small is always best.

On to your point about the Xrays.  The X-rays we take are to see in between the teeth.  These are areas that we cannot see or feel cavities.

The X-ray I posted below has a circle around the cavity.  This wouldn't be seen or felt by examining the tooth.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:44:29 PM by West Texas Hog »

Offline One Quarter

• A Shoat
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 09:56:28 PM »
You probably aren't going to do any harm by doing this.  But the kit doesn't look like it comes with a variety of instruments we would use that adapt to certain areas of the teeth which make it easier to clean better.  Keeping teeth clean and free of any build up is always a good thing.

I really don't see any harm in doing this.  I wouldn't attempt to replace regular dental exams and cleanings by doing this at home, but it is an acceptable adjunct.  By the time a patient knows they have a cavity, it is usually a big ass cavity and many times needs a root canal and/or a crown.  Catching them when they are small is always best.

On to your point about the Xrays.  The X-rays we take are to see in between the teeth.  These are areas that we cannot see or feel cavities.

The X-ray I posted below has a circle around the cavity.  This wouldn't be seen or felt by examining the tooth.

Holy shit!  Thanks West Texas Hog!

I wouldn't have even considered skipping regular cleanings or x-rays, especially since they're covered by my dental insurance.

Mostly I just like the feel of my teeth when they're de-scaled.  I'll post a photo of the instruments that came in the $14 bag.

Offline West Texas Hog

• A Shoat
  • Now in Kansas City
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 09:59:59 PM »
Scale away, my friend.  It isn't rocket science.  Just don't get too rough with it.  You will probably notice that the worst areas of build up are on the back side of your lower front teeth. 

Offline One Quarter

• A Shoat
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 10:09:12 PM »

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 10:13:00 PM by One Quarter »

Offline One Quarter

• A Shoat
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 10:10:25 PM »
Scale away, my friend.  It isn't rocket science.  Just don't get too rough with it.  You will probably notice that the worst areas of build up are on the back side of your lower front teeth. 

De-scaling behind the lower front teeth is the most satisfying part.  I can feel it with my tongue for days.

Offline One Quarter

• A Shoat
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 10:15:56 PM »
By the way, W_T_H, what is the forceps instrument meant for?  There was nothing about it in the Chinese instructions.

Offline HogHazard

• King of the Hogs
  • "My work speaks for itself"
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 10:19:57 PM »
By the way, W_T_H, what is the forceps instrument meant for?  There was nothing about it in the Chinese instructions.

Tonsil Stones

^probably want to think twice about it...

Offline One Quarter

• A Shoat
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 11:32:58 PM »

Offline hogslobber

• Boar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 08:14:56 AM »

That is what is called cotton pliers.  No idea why that is included.
The instrument in the middle is something I have never seen.
But, I have only practiced for 31 years.

Offline One Quarter

• A Shoat
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 11:40:48 PM »
That is what is called cotton pliers.  No idea why that is included.

Thanks!  So, that's for grabbing cotton or gauze.  I'm not sure how that's better than gloved fingers, but whatever.

The instrument in the middle is something I have never seen.  But, I have only practiced for 31 years.

If you mean the flat bladed one, I think it's supposed to de-scale flatter surfaces, like the sides of molars.  The Chinese instructions are not very specific.

Offline One Quarter

• A Shoat
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 12:14:33 AM »
It's interesting and convenient that teeth are slightly harder than the metal used in these tools, which is slightly harder than the plaque/scale that preys upon teeth.

If plaque/scale was even slightly harder than teeth or any convenient material, we'd be fucked.

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 06:27:26 AM »
I have a sonicare toofbrush and a sonicare waterjetpic thing, and it does an a,azimg job of making my toofies feel tingly fresh.

I’m with OQ on those bottom fronts...getting that cleaned make me feel like the hill on 430 going down to the river must have felt after the resurfacing.  Groovy.

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 06:04:56 PM »
Having had "deep root scaling" twice in my life I just have mine cleaned every three months. 

You might want to check out those Chinese instruments.  They are likely made with lead or possibly radioactive metals.  I am not kidding.

Offline One Quarter

• A Shoat
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 11:05:55 PM »
Having had "deep root scaling" twice in my life I just have mine cleaned every three months. 

You might want to check out those Chinese instruments.  They are likely made with lead or possibly radioactive metals.  I am not kidding.

I'm quite sure these surface scalers are not made of lead or radioactive materials.  However, I'll order a Chinese geiger counter, just to make sure.

I'm not trying to avoid the hygienist, I just love my original teeth (at 38 years old) and the feeling of de-scaling.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 10:17:03 AM »
I'm quite sure these surface scalers are not made of lead or radioactive materials.  However, I'll order a Chinese geiger counter, just to make sure.

I'm not trying to avoid the hygienist, I just love my original teeth (at 38 years old) and the feeling of de-scaling.

Chinese put lead in everything from toothpaste to crackpipes. 

I know if I tried to descale my own teeth I would end up with shredded bleeding gums and likely an accidental extraction.  I tear my mouth up with floss.  When I remember to do that.  Our AI evolved future selves will likely have self flossing and descaling teeth, if we know whats good for us.  If my head is in a jar though I'll still have bad teefs.