Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: I've got a resumé question.  (Read 2372 times)

Offline pinkphiloyd

• will eat your babies, bitch.
  • Boar
I've got a resumé question.
« on: August 06, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »
The world of Emergency Medical Services is still very much a "here just fill out this application and we'll get back to you" type scenario, so I've never needed a resumé before.  I will, however, need one as a soon to be graduating electrical engineer, so I'm trying to do this shit for the first time ever, and I'm hating it really badly.  Anyway.

Over the course of my hobby of building guitar amps and related equipment, I've built gear for Joe Perry, the Violent Femmes, and a guy that has done studio work for basically anybody you can think of.  Aerosmith, AC/DC, MB20 are just a few of the more high profile ones.  I was thinking of sticking a pertinent hobby/interest field at the end, almost as a footnote, and including this in it.  Is this a good idea, or no?  I mean, it's true, but I can't decide if it feels ridiculous or not.

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • King of the Hogs
Re: I've got a resumé question.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 09:29:33 PM »
It's not ridiculous. It just wont mean anything to 99.9% of the people out there, but the one person that it does resonate with will think it's really cool.

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

"What is he undermining exactly? You know, what democratic freedoms have been undermined?" Crenshaw asked. "We just had an election where we switched power in the House. Democracy is at work. People are voting in record numbers."

Online Boar Bidet

• I need fity dollars to make you holler.
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Swahili Steve
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 09:36:12 PM »
The world of Emergency Medical Services is still very much a "here just fill out this application and we'll get back to you" type scenario, so I've never needed a resumé before.  I will, however, need one as a soon to be graduating electrical engineer, so I'm trying to do this shit for the first time ever, and I'm hating it really badly.  Anyway.

Over the course of my hobby of building guitar amps and related equipment, I've built gear for Joe Perry, the Violent Femmes, and a guy that has done studio work for basically anybody you can think of.  Aerosmith, AC/DC, MB20 are just a few of the more high profile ones.  I was thinking of sticking a pertinent hobby/interest field at the end, almost as a footnote, and including this in it.  Is this a good idea, or no?  I mean, it's true, but I can't decide if it feels ridiculous or not.
does it relate in any way to skills you need for the specific job you’re applying for...if not then don’t include. If you’re applying for a specific engineer position you can go out in the web and take a look at others who have applied for similar jobs and the format that those resumes use. Every industry formats their resumes a little differently.

Online One Quarter

• A Shoat
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 09:38:27 PM »
You should certainly include those things, and I'd try to do it creatively.

Electrical Hobbies

- Guitar Pedals
-- Created and wired guitar pedals used professionally by Joe Perry (or whoever) to rock in stadiums playing lead guitar for Aerosmith (or whoever).

Even if it doesn't relate specifically to the job, it would stand out for some people, and that's worth it.  If nothing else, it's a conversation starter and something for the recruiter to remember you by.

However, don't let it or any other thing make your résumé go over 2 pages.  I've hired about a dozen people from about 100 résumés, and 2 pages per applicant all I can handle.  The exception is publications, if you have them.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 01:33:20 AM »
the one person that it does resonate with will think it's really cool.

it would stand out for some people, and that's worth it.  If nothing else, it's a conversation starter and something for the recruiter to remember you by.

This is pretty much how I felt about it but thanks for the confirmation.

And in today's TLDR I'm definitely keeping it to a page.  With a huge font and ample spacing.

Offline kingofdequeen

• Boar
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 06:48:09 AM »
You bring that shit up in the interview tho.  That’s a cool thing to say and will grab their attention. 

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 01:16:40 PM »
I'd put it in the resume.  Nowadays, in some fields there is no guarantee there will be an interview.  Don't do a Stan Heath and save the fresh legs for a game you may never play.

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline ElvisHog

• Where have you gone Walter Cronkite, and why have you been replaced by the likes of woopig.net?
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 03:17:51 PM »
Someone might have the right skills and be a terrible fit for the team. Putting something like that on the resume increases relatability if you ask me. Do it.

Online BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »
Someone might have the right skills and be a terrible fit for the team. Putting something like that on the resume increases relatability if you ask me. Do it.

Agreed.  You can put "built custom amp for top recording artist" or some shit like that because not everyone will know who Joe Perry or Aerosmith are and may not be impressed.  But leaving it vague will get they're minds wondering who it was.  And it's relevant experience since you're doing electrical engineering. Not only did you do something cool, you're a badass at it.

Fuck my life

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 06:48:46 PM »
It's definitely going on.  In what form I'm not exactly sure yet.  I quickly grew sick of how subjective this all is.  Almost all of the stuff I've read or advice I've gotten has directly contradicted something from somewhere else.  It's pretty frustrating.

Offline ElvisHog

• Where have you gone Walter Cronkite, and why have you been replaced by the likes of woopig.net?
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 08:39:01 PM »
It's definitely going on.  In what form I'm not exactly sure yet.  I quickly grew sick of how subjective this all is.  Almost all of the stuff I've read or advice I've gotten has directly contradicted something from somewhere else.  It's pretty frustrating.

Whatever you do, make sure it's as long as possible.

Online The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 10:11:06 PM »
I agree with OQ and E.

Put it in.

I’ve been through countless resumes and the ones that stand out are always the ones with something extra, something relatable like that.
I

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Online wvhawgfan

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »
Not sure what direction your thinking of heading in the field, but I can say for certain in the consulting area we are always looking for graduates that have some practical experience in the field. Whether it was fixing electronics, working as an electrician, etc. Having a working knowledge of the subject helps understand the theory much better in my experience.

Offline bleedinred

• Tush Hog
  • Member #1 - Darksider Club (Pres. since 12/4/17)
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 07:50:54 PM »
Find a good recruiter that specializes in the field you want to enter. Not only will they have good contacts but often times they can help you with your resume.

By the way, what do you want to do?

Riding in seat #1 on the Muss Bus.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 09:04:45 PM »
Find a good recruiter that specializes in the field you want to enter. Not only will they have good contacts but often times they can help you with your resume.

By the way, what do you want to do?

Audio and power electronics are my biggest areas of interest.  Power electronics is more practical these days, I think.  Although I'm fairly certain I could get on at Dolby, if I could convince the woman to live in Springfield. 

Online TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »
My resume is going on 5 pages long, but that's because of all the assignments I've had over the last 18.5 years.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 06:22:49 AM »
Resumes are for one purpose:  get an interview.  .you may need several versions. 

I would use the amp thing as a business not a hobby.  Even if you got no.thing but a six pack or bag of weed, I would give it a name and put it down as a gig as an amp designer as something you did while in school.  Folks like applicants who worked their way through school and found a way to drive their passion that way. 

If you want to be in the audio or sound reinforcement field passion is important because you'll be working with folks who are generally in love with the product. 

I've hired people who had interesting jobs on resumes, like pitcher with Chicago White Sox, wakeboard instructor at Club Med, a Japanese instructor, a mountaineer, etc. I like hearing their stories.

Offline bogey7

• Tush Hog
  • Pick-up Stix Champion
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »
My resume is always 2 pages, cover page and work history.  I only list the last 10 years of work history and note that more will be provided upon request. 

Never waste a hard-on, and never trust a fart.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 03:24:46 AM »
The length of a resume depends on the job and industry. I don’t count the cover letter which is a separate issue.  It also concerns your age. 

Pink has an interesting dilemma in that he was established as an ent and then went to school for a different trade.  Don’t run from it; it shows initiative and guts, and there will be a story there.

I hate resumes full of stats that are meaningless without context.  I want to know your career progress, your responsibilities, reports, authority provided.  I had the luxury of being in a small industry; I could call some colleagues and check you out. 

The resume versions are the one you use for posting on bots and online apps; the other is what would be sent to hiring managers with a custom cover letter for each job you have an interest.  I send those priority mail to the hiring manager.  That big envelope will always be opened by the addressee.  All you’re trying to get is an interview.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 09:06:25 PM »
Taking all of this into account, along with some advice I've received elsewhere, I might try to shoot it to a couple of you for an opinion in the next day or so.  I don't expect a professional review, just some quick initial thoughts.  I have a couple of places I'm wanting to get it sent, so, I need to get a final draft ready in some form or another.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 05:43:51 PM »
This morning I became aware of a job posting for a company called Purkeys in Lowell.  It sounded like it would be straight up my alley, so my immediate thought was "I've got to get in on this."
So I was in the process of making sure my resumé at least seemed respectable and working on a cover letter so I could get it sent in when I got a text message from one of the guys that was on my Sr. Design team:  "I just landed a job at this place called Purkeys in Lowell."
I'm super happy for the guy and a little bit nauseated at the same time...

Offline Buffinator

• TheBestWhiteMeat
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 10:09:02 AM »
Put all the most relevant stuff to your career field at the top.  If anyone is going to actually read the resume, they MIGHT actually read the first half page. 

Don't be scared to stretch it out to 2, or even 3 pages if you have enough pertinent info (including unique hobbies).  More and more hiring dipshits are just scanning the things nowdays and letting computers pick out key words.  Also - do some searching and figure out what key words are most likely to be used, and make sure they're included.  If you're a perfectionist, there are plenty of services now who can perfect your resume for this - but for free you can find tons of resume conversations on LinkedIn.

Online The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 02:24:12 PM »
Check your messages.

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.