Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: I've got a resumé question.  (Read 6466 times)

Offline pinkphiloyd

• will eat your babies, bitch.
  • Boar
Re: I've got a resumé question.
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2020, 12:49:46 PM »
I've received my first written offer for gainful employment as an electrical engineer.

I feel like the starting quarterback just asked me to be his prom date.

Offline bleedinred

• Tush Hog
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2020, 02:08:26 PM »
Congrats!  I hope its everything you dreamed it would be!

Riding in seat #1 on the Muss Bus.

Offline razorwire

• Boar
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2020, 04:00:16 PM »
I've received my first written offer for gainful employment as an electrical engineer.

I hope the job turns out  sparktakular for you.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2020, 12:16:46 AM »
Congrats!

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2020, 09:17:42 AM »
Thanks man.

Offline wvhawgfan

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »

Congrats and good luck

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2020, 01:13:02 PM »

Congrats! Lots of hard work on your part. Where is the gig? Are you relocating? Is it the gig you wanted?

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2020, 01:39:15 PM »
Congrats and good luck

:beer:

Congrats! Lots of hard work on your part. Where is the gig? Are you relocating? Is it the gig you wanted?

Tulsa.  We're (the wife and I) trying to decide right now whether or not to take it.  It's gonna be a really, really tough decision.

Initially, the offer had a deadline of Tues. the 26th.  I have a second interview with a local company...Tues. the 26th.  So I was able to get them to extend the deadline until the 1st.  I feel like my first interview with this local company went pretty well, and if the second one does, too, I'm hoping to get an offer almost immediately.

But, if I do, it will almost make things worse.  Because the only advantage to the local job...will be that it's local.  It pays apx. $8k less than the Tulsa gig, (honestly, all the things considered, I feel like the Tulsa offer is probably for more than I'm worth) but we won't have to sell (or rent) the house and move.  And that's a big deal.  We really love it right where we're at and don't want to move if we don't have to.

On the flip side of the coin, though, the job in Tulsa would be almost exactly straight up my alley.  They're looking to add audio to some of their product line, and I'd be doing design work.  Which is exactly what I want to do.  It pays more.  The benefits package seems pretty damn excellent to me.  But, again, we'd have to move, and that would suck.

Honestly, I'm trying to just not even stress over it until I actually have an offer in hand from the local job.  But I'm not doing a very good job.  I am doing better than the wife, though.  I think she's actually lost some hair over all of this.  Poor thing.  She's just too high strung...

Offline BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2020, 01:54:20 PM »

Tulsa.  We're (the wife and I) trying to decide right now whether or not to take it.  It's gonna be a really, really tough decision.

Initially, the offer had a deadline of Tues. the 26th.  I have a second interview with a local company...Tues. the 26th.  So I was able to get them to extend the deadline until the 1st.  I feel like my first interview with this local company went pretty well, and if the second one does, too, I'm hoping to get an offer almost immediately.

But, if I do, it will almost make things worse.  Because the only advantage to the local job...will be that it's local.  It pays apx. $8k less than the Tulsa gig, (honestly, all the things considered, I feel like the Tulsa offer is probably for more than I'm worth) but we won't have to sell (or rent) the house and move.  And that's a big deal.  We really love it right where we're at and don't want to move if we don't have to.

On the flip side of the coin, though, the job in Tulsa would be almost exactly straight up my alley.  They're looking to add audio to some of their product line, and I'd be doing design work.  Which is exactly what I want to do.  It pays more.  The benefits package seems pretty damn excellent to me.  But, again, we'd have to move, and that would suck.

Honestly, I'm trying to just not even stress over it until I actually have an offer in hand from the local job.  But I'm not doing a very good job.  I am doing better than the wife, though.  I think she's actually lost some hair over all of this.  Poor thing.  She's just too high strung...

if you take the local job, you will start to not like it after not too long.  the longer you're there, the more you'll hate it.  and you'll regret everyday not taking the tulsa job and doing something you really enjoy.  my advice, take the tulsa job, you'll be happier, which in turn the wife will be happier.  different houses, different cities, i think in the long run a small price to pay for happiness.

I've got a little change in my pocket going jing-a-ling-a-ling

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »
Well yall think things over and decide. My only advice is to not say things like it's more money than you're worth. Don't sell yourself short. Me personally, they can never pay me what I'm truly worth. Yeah it's cocky but true, to me anyway. And never be afraid to take a chance. I believe the biggest risk one can take in life is not taking any risks because of fear of failure. Failure is just another avenue to success.

No ragrets. Know what I'm sayin', dawg.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:05:10 PM by TravelHog »
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2020, 09:51:06 PM »
Well yall think things over and decide. My only advice is to not say things like it's more money than you're worth. Don't sell yourself short. Me personally, they can never pay me what I'm truly worth. Yeah it's cocky but true, to me anyway. And never be afraid to take a chance. I believe the biggest risk one can take in life is not taking any risks because of fear of failure. Failure is just another avenue to success.

No ragrets. Know what I'm sayin', dawg.

It's just a confidence thing.  I haven't actually done any real work as a EE yet, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect.  I did an internship, but the stuff they needed from me was pretty atypical and not at all like what I expect to encounter at my actual job.  So, once I get some actual hours under my belt, I'm sure I'll start to feel better about what I'm actually worth, so to speak...