Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: I've got a resumé question.  (Read 8537 times)

Offline pinkphiloyd

• will eat your babies, bitch.
  • Boar
Re: I've got a resumé question.
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2020, 12:49:46 PM »
I've received my first written offer for gainful employment as an electrical engineer.

I feel like the starting quarterback just asked me to be his prom date.

Online bleedinred

• Tush Hog
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2020, 02:08:26 PM »
Congrats!  I hope its everything you dreamed it would be!

Riding in seat #1 on the Muss Bus.

Offline razorwire

• Boar
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2020, 04:00:16 PM »
I've received my first written offer for gainful employment as an electrical engineer.

I hope the job turns out  sparktakular for you.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2020, 12:16:46 AM »
Congrats!

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2020, 09:17:42 AM »
Thanks man.

Offline wvhawgfan

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »

Congrats and good luck

Online TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2020, 01:13:02 PM »

Congrats! Lots of hard work on your part. Where is the gig? Are you relocating? Is it the gig you wanted?

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2020, 01:39:15 PM »
Congrats and good luck

:beer:

Congrats! Lots of hard work on your part. Where is the gig? Are you relocating? Is it the gig you wanted?

Tulsa.  We're (the wife and I) trying to decide right now whether or not to take it.  It's gonna be a really, really tough decision.

Initially, the offer had a deadline of Tues. the 26th.  I have a second interview with a local company...Tues. the 26th.  So I was able to get them to extend the deadline until the 1st.  I feel like my first interview with this local company went pretty well, and if the second one does, too, I'm hoping to get an offer almost immediately.

But, if I do, it will almost make things worse.  Because the only advantage to the local job...will be that it's local.  It pays apx. $8k less than the Tulsa gig, (honestly, all the things considered, I feel like the Tulsa offer is probably for more than I'm worth) but we won't have to sell (or rent) the house and move.  And that's a big deal.  We really love it right where we're at and don't want to move if we don't have to.

On the flip side of the coin, though, the job in Tulsa would be almost exactly straight up my alley.  They're looking to add audio to some of their product line, and I'd be doing design work.  Which is exactly what I want to do.  It pays more.  The benefits package seems pretty damn excellent to me.  But, again, we'd have to move, and that would suck.

Honestly, I'm trying to just not even stress over it until I actually have an offer in hand from the local job.  But I'm not doing a very good job.  I am doing better than the wife, though.  I think she's actually lost some hair over all of this.  Poor thing.  She's just too high strung...

Offline BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2020, 01:54:20 PM »

Tulsa.  We're (the wife and I) trying to decide right now whether or not to take it.  It's gonna be a really, really tough decision.

Initially, the offer had a deadline of Tues. the 26th.  I have a second interview with a local company...Tues. the 26th.  So I was able to get them to extend the deadline until the 1st.  I feel like my first interview with this local company went pretty well, and if the second one does, too, I'm hoping to get an offer almost immediately.

But, if I do, it will almost make things worse.  Because the only advantage to the local job...will be that it's local.  It pays apx. $8k less than the Tulsa gig, (honestly, all the things considered, I feel like the Tulsa offer is probably for more than I'm worth) but we won't have to sell (or rent) the house and move.  And that's a big deal.  We really love it right where we're at and don't want to move if we don't have to.

On the flip side of the coin, though, the job in Tulsa would be almost exactly straight up my alley.  They're looking to add audio to some of their product line, and I'd be doing design work.  Which is exactly what I want to do.  It pays more.  The benefits package seems pretty damn excellent to me.  But, again, we'd have to move, and that would suck.

Honestly, I'm trying to just not even stress over it until I actually have an offer in hand from the local job.  But I'm not doing a very good job.  I am doing better than the wife, though.  I think she's actually lost some hair over all of this.  Poor thing.  She's just too high strung...

if you take the local job, you will start to not like it after not too long.  the longer you're there, the more you'll hate it.  and you'll regret everyday not taking the tulsa job and doing something you really enjoy.  my advice, take the tulsa job, you'll be happier, which in turn the wife will be happier.  different houses, different cities, i think in the long run a small price to pay for happiness.

I've got a little change in my pocket going jing-a-ling-a-ling

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »
Well yall think things over and decide. My only advice is to not say things like it's more money than you're worth. Don't sell yourself short. Me personally, they can never pay me what I'm truly worth. Yeah it's cocky but true, to me anyway. And never be afraid to take a chance. I believe the biggest risk one can take in life is not taking any risks because of fear of failure. Failure is just another avenue to success.

No ragrets. Know what I'm sayin', dawg.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:05:10 PM by TravelHog »

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2020, 09:51:06 PM »
Well yall think things over and decide. My only advice is to not say things like it's more money than you're worth. Don't sell yourself short. Me personally, they can never pay me what I'm truly worth. Yeah it's cocky but true, to me anyway. And never be afraid to take a chance. I believe the biggest risk one can take in life is not taking any risks because of fear of failure. Failure is just another avenue to success.

No ragrets. Know what I'm sayin', dawg.

It's just a confidence thing.  I haven't actually done any real work as a EE yet, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect.  I did an internship, but the stuff they needed from me was pretty atypical and not at all like what I expect to encounter at my actual job.  So, once I get some actual hours under my belt, I'm sure I'll start to feel better about what I'm actually worth, so to speak...

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2020, 06:34:07 PM »
I really don't think I'm gonna have a decision to make, now.

My local interview was setup for yesterday at 2:00.  It was supposed to be via video over Microsoft teams.  I got everything set up and ready and our power went out at 12:30.  I was gonna try and do it from my phone but I only get one bar out here in good weather.  Which it wasn't.

Anyway, they re-scheduled me for tomorrow at 2:00, but there's no way in hell I'll hear anything from them now in the time I have left to decide on Tulsa.

This may be a blessing in disguise.  Save us the agonizing.

Online bleedinred

• Tush Hog
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2020, 12:15:13 PM »
Talk to the folks in Tulsa and tell them you need one more day.  If they have given you the offer then the worse thing that happens is they say no, they need an answer.  I doubt they say that though.

Riding in seat #1 on the Muss Bus.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »
Talk to the folks in Tulsa and tell them you need one more day.  If they have given you the offer then the worse thing that happens is they say no, they need an answer.  I doubt they say that though.

I just finished the interview.  With the same HR girl plus two power engineers.

At the very end I hit them with my other offer and told them I had to take it or leave it by Monday afternoon.  She said this interview pretty much completed their hiring process, and that they would talk when our meeting was done and I would know something "soon."  She wouldn't say how "soon", but she did say she was going to go ahead and email me the benefits package.  So, I dunno.  Maybe that's good.  I still doubt I hear anything by Monday.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2020, 03:40:17 PM »
Go with your gut instinct.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2020, 03:53:42 PM »
I guess I was wrong.  The local place says we'll have an answer by tomorrow.

Go with your gut instinct.

My gut is back and forth on this one.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2020, 04:02:02 PM »
Don't look at it as choosing right or wrong. Instead, look at the overall pros and cons and you and your missus can decide which one offers the best.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• Boar
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2020, 05:26:32 PM »

Offline wvhawgfan

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2020, 05:42:21 PM »
From the outside looking in, I think that's probably the best outcome.

Money's great and all, but it really sounds like you'll be doing something you enjoy.

That's probably the most important thing in having a job or a career.

Online TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2020, 05:50:57 PM »
Congratulations Pink!  Good luck and best wishes to you and the wife.

Just to remind you, relocations are extremely stressful on relationships. Stay cool and hug your bride more.

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.