Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Look Who Portalled!  (Read 191444 times)

Online VegasHog

• King of the Hogs
Re: Look Who Portalled!
« Reply #2450 on: November 29, 2022, 10:35:20 PM »
seniors graduating and others going pro have always happened. 

look at the guys who have portaled so far and what their contribution has been.  guys leaving is not always a bad thing.

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #2451 on: November 29, 2022, 11:40:41 PM »

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

"Grant couldn't practice, we put a green shirt on him, he kept trying to put the red on but 'no no no, we're not gunna touch you' Then he goes out and has that game. He's out there holding his elbow and goes and picks off a pass to win. He is Arkansas." - Pittman

Online TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #2452 on: November 30, 2022, 12:49:03 AM »
This NIL and transfer portal shit has made college football worse than NFL.

Good Lord.  This is how its going to be every season?

Fuck that.
It changes what the job of college coaching really is going forward.  You have to figure out your scholarship allocation, recruit high schools, recruit transfers, recruit the players you want to keep, and runoft and replace those you don’t.  That’s a lot of shit to shovel before you coach a down of football. 

The smart head coach would take less money to expand the budget for a big personnel crew that is part of the team for each position group.   

Offline Feral

• Tush Hog
  • Ketchup is my steak sauce
« Reply #2453 on: November 30, 2022, 05:46:12 AM »
It changes what the job of college coaching really is going forward.  You have to figure out your scholarship allocation, recruit high schools, recruit transfers, recruit the players you want to keep, and runoft and replace those you don’t.  That’s a lot of shit to shovel before you coach a down of football. 

The smart head coach would take less money to expand the budget for a big personnel crew that is part of the team for each position group.   
Yep, exactly. The portal and NIL have changed the dynamics of coaching in college football and injected a few additional different types of recruiting into a coach’s purview (retention, portal evaluation) and away from player development for the most part. To your point, there’s no time for these additional duties and it’s why these armies of analysts that Saban spearheaded are so important.

In addition to that, the portal has changed how you can act and treat your players as a coach. Can’t be too much of a disciplinarian or you’ll lose players to the portal, but you can’t be too much of a softy or you’ll lose games because your team won’t have any focus or discipline. The portal almost necessitates a different type of coach who’s all scheme, and it’s why a hardass like Patterson flamed out at TCU and Dykes has them on the cusp of the CFP.

Offline Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #2454 on: November 30, 2022, 06:26:55 AM »
For Arkansas especially I think it would pay to have people in place that really know the lower divisions/smaller schools and what's out there from year to year. We've got to find those Vanilla Gorilla types that fall thru the cracks. Every year there are DBs making it to the NFL from these small colleges. We've literally got DBs that I don't know that I'd trust covering D2 guys. That's a disgrace. Oh and I'd sure take a overgrown DT with a motor from the lower divisions hungry and playing with a chip on their shoulder over a lush from another SEC school that never could get on the field.

Certainly we have to compete for the best talent available on the second-hand/used recruiting market coming from the P5s. They'll always be transfers that want a opportunity to play in the SEC. That's going to be coming from other SEC players and probably I suspect we might see a flood of Big 12 defections soon.

From a high school perspective we continue to recruit kids, fail to develop them prior to them being disillusioned and move on. A kid like Jointer should have probably been a position swap over to defense after August. He might have been good at RB but probably not someone that was ever going to break into the rotation at least not all that quickly. Dubinion will be a star, nobody knows what will happen with DJ, Sanders is playing another year of college ball we know. Green I could see maybe testing the portal waters, but for whatever reason this staff is in love with him. I can see Jointer looking at that depth chart and not seeing where he fits in. To me that's what I'm seeing is some obvious lack of selling guys on moving positions. I know we did McAdoo and hopefully he can stay over there and maybe get some PR/KOR duty so he can touch the ball. He's an electric player for sure. Haven't seen Mbake and don't know if they are keeping him at DB. He's still listed as a WR where as the website has McAdoo listed as a db. Outley is a prime example...kid spent a couple years at TE. They never moved him anywhere else. He never saw the field. Maybe he's not a DE. Maybe the kid just isn't a P5 talent. The fact is it don't appear they really tried to do anything with him. We've had a roster each year with pet rocks playing older guys, failing to blow shit teams out so to get young guys game experience, in rare times where we do play young guys it's lets just get out of here mode.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 06:31:31 AM by Animal »
It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Offline Feral

• Tush Hog
Look Who Portalled!
« Reply #2455 on: November 30, 2022, 07:49:02 AM »
For Arkansas especially I think it would pay to have people in place that really know the lower divisions/smaller schools and what's out there from year to year. We've got to find those Vanilla Gorilla types that fall thru the cracks. Every year there are DBs making it to the NFL from these small colleges. We've literally got DBs that I don't know that I'd trust covering D2 guys. That's a disgrace. Oh and I'd sure take a overgrown DT with a motor from the lower divisions hungry and playing with a chip on their shoulder over a lush from another SEC school that never could get on the field.

Agreed.

Remember when we all creamed our jeans over last year over Haselwood because he was a high 5 star coming out of high school? We glossed right over his OU stats and went straight to his HS recruiting evals. I’m not so sure I wouldn’t have rather had DeVion Warren or Tyson Morris back this year instead.

There’s a tremendous amount of value in the G5 and FCS ranks. Vanilla Gorilla was a prime example of that, as is Jared Verse who was a stud at Albany and has torn it up at FSU this year.

You risk getting into a funk if you’re simply chasing guys who got cycled out of blue blood programs. Sort of like the dynamic for years in the NFL where teams overpaid and overvalued Patriots castoffs because of the Belichick/Pats premium, only to find out they were holding a bunch of Pets.com stock.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 07:50:33 AM by Feral »

Offline DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #2456 on: November 30, 2022, 08:46:38 AM »
That kid was held back a grade and graduated PA with my oldest daughter.  She's now in her second year of law school. 
Layne has to be 24-25 years old by now.

Was trying to do the math on that one. 

Since Hatcher graduated they have had as starting QBs...Bratcher for 2 years, Bruffett/Fiser for 2 years, and now Busby for 1.  It seems like I'm missing at least one somewhere. 

I guess when you're in his position you can chase the dream as long as the rules allow it. 

?s=20

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #2457 on: November 30, 2022, 09:17:22 AM »
So is JUCO even a thing anymore? Are they the ones that have been truly fucked in this NIL and transfer world?

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

"Grant couldn't practice, we put a green shirt on him, he kept trying to put the red on but 'no no no, we're not gunna touch you' Then he goes out and has that game. He's out there holding his elbow and goes and picks off a pass to win. He is Arkansas." - Pittman

Offline CrocodileHunter

• Chairman Emeritus of the 102 Crew
  • Tush Hog
  • ^^^ El Capitan
« Reply #2458 on: November 30, 2022, 09:33:29 AM »
That kid was held back a grade and graduated PA with my oldest daughter.  She's now in her second year of law school. 
Layne has to be 24-25 years old by now.
He’ll be 24 in February. realstunned

Offline PHARMHOG

• Tush Hog
  • Master of Frugality
« Reply #2459 on: November 30, 2022, 09:44:23 AM »
ASU screwed the pooch on this one.

If KJ weren't here next year then Hatcher would need a look for a serviceable year.

Pleeeeasse don't report me to the moderator.

Offline Feral

• Tush Hog
« Reply #2460 on: November 30, 2022, 10:02:25 AM »
So is JUCO even a thing anymore? Are they the ones that have been truly fucked in this NIL and transfer world?
Pittman got asked about the implications of the portal last offseason in a press conference and mentioned that the main impact was that it hurt JUCOs hard.

His point was basically that formerly if you wanted to plug holes with a player who’d been somewhat developed and was immediately eligible then JUCO was the route to go. Now that value prop is completely eliminated with the portal and one-time transfer rule. Formerly a guy like Cam Newton had to go from Florida to Blinn College and then back up to Auburn. In the new era of college football he’d go directly from UF to Auburn and play immediately. 

Online Law_Hawg

• Have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #2461 on: November 30, 2022, 11:04:20 AM »
ASU screwed the pooch on this one.

If KJ weren't here next year then Hatcher would need a look for a serviceable year.

I think Hatcher was badly managed at ASU, and I really can't blame him for leaving there because of it.  That said, what's the record for how many schools somebody attended before they finally run out of eligiblity?

I see that you have made three spelling mistakes.   -Thomas de Mahy, Marquis de Favras, upon reading his death warrant.

Offline Hogworth Ballington III

• Tush Hog
« Reply #2462 on: November 30, 2022, 11:13:24 AM »
I would like Sam to offer the kid for no other reason than to sit back and watch the frothing at the mouth and gnashing of teeth that would come from the we-be-howlin bunch. They already think the kid is a traitor for transferring in conference, might as well go all in.

I just want to get paid for sucking ass

Offline PHARMHOG

• Tush Hog
  • Master of Frugality
« Reply #2463 on: November 30, 2022, 11:50:10 AM »

I think Hatcher was badly managed at ASU, and I really can't blame him for leaving there because of it.  That said, what's the record for how many schools somebody attended before they finally run out of eligiblity?

The next stop will be #4. Imagine the COVID year bought this extra one.

1 - Bama
3 - ASU
1 - Tx State
1 -  *:

Pleeeeasse don't report me to the moderator.

Online papermill

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #2464 on: November 30, 2022, 12:20:06 PM »
look at the guys who have portaled so far and what their contribution has been.  guys leaving is not always a bad thing.

Isn't it still 25 scholarships a year/85 total?

Guys leaving has to be a thing.  The goal should be no 3rd year guys who have not contributed and do not have an obvious path to contributing soon.  Maybe make an exception for OLs and QBs, if you know they will contribute starting in year 4.

Online VegasHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #2465 on: November 30, 2022, 12:33:22 PM »
Isn't it still 25 scholarships a year/85 total?

Guys leaving has to be a thing.  The goal should be no 3rd year guys who have not contributed and do not have an obvious path to contributing soon.  Maybe make an exception for OLs and QBs, if you know they will contribute starting in year 4.
for these next two recruiting classes, there is no limit to hs signees as long as the team at no time goes over 85.

the thought is by that time there will be some more regulation to the portal.  the 25 limit + the portal has made roster management a huge headache.

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #2466 on: November 30, 2022, 02:21:12 PM »
The next stop will be #4. Imagine the COVID year bought this extra one.

1 - Bama
3 - ASU
1 - Tx State
1 -  *:

You just start to wonder what the point is. Ryan Mallett couldn’t make it. He’s no Ryan Mallett. What does spending a year of your life getting UAPB a winning record in conference really do for you at this point?  This kid, I mean grown up,  doesn’t need help paying for a masters in animal husbandry.

Offline Animal

• Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #2467 on: November 30, 2022, 04:01:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1598071948348719123?

So I reckon this cat will be in the prison rape portal

Bruce Lee

Offline hit_that_line

• Oracle of Arkansas
  • King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net
« Reply #2468 on: November 30, 2022, 04:25:27 PM »
Is that Jon Kitna’s kid

Offline dhog

• Tush Hog
  • Go HOGS Go!!!
« Reply #2469 on: November 30, 2022, 04:38:22 PM »

Offline Show-Me Hog

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yep
« Reply #2470 on: November 30, 2022, 05:23:20 PM »
Starting Alabama WR portalled. Oklahoma WR portalled. List is gonna be longggggg.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• Surgeon General of Woopig
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #2471 on: November 30, 2022, 07:23:17 PM »
Starting Alabama WR portalled. Oklahoma WR portalled. List is gonna be longggggg.

Every team is going to turn over a significant portion of their two deep every year.

Therefore all of the sudden ability to recruit transfers and offer NIL money to fill your two deep holes is going to become one of the most important attributes in a coach.  Some coaches are going to see their stock rise greatly from it, and some are going to fade hard.  I think it's a big part of Jimbo's problem.

Offline Show-Me Hog

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yep
« Reply #2472 on: November 30, 2022, 07:26:12 PM »
Every team is going to turn over a significant portion of their two deep every year.

Therefore all of the sudden ability to recruit transfers and offer NIL money to fill your two deep holes is going to become one of the most important attributes in a coach.  Some coaches are going to see their stock rise greatly from it, and some are going to fade hard.  I think it's a big part of Jimbo's problem.

Is the academic ability to get into the transfer school of your choice an issue at all, or am I talking in 1997 language.

Online papermill

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #2473 on: November 30, 2022, 07:36:04 PM »
Is the academic ability to get into the transfer school of your choice an issue at all, or am I talking in 1997 language.

These are STUDENT-athletes, so most are changing for better programs in their major I am sure.  Otherwise we would call them ATHLETE-students.

Offline Animal

• Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #2474 on: November 30, 2022, 07:44:42 PM »

Is David Shaw's fall at Stanford a coincidence? Somehow I figure after a layoff he'll be back and be sure to choose a school that cares more about winning than it does educating commies "students".

Bruce Lee