Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Rural Arkansas Internet Options?  (Read 487 times)

Offline Boar Bidet

• I need fity dollars to make you holler.
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Swahili Steve
Rural Arkansas Internet Options?
« on: January 11, 2020, 04:39:34 PM »
My parents live over in eastern arkansas in the country and have dish tv and the internet via the satellite but it’s badically like dial up and it hasn’t even worked in months. Dad tried to go the AT&T route with the hotspot but you only get like 10mbg or whatever and they were charging him out the asshole and you have to get an extra data plan which is just too much money for shit speeds. So wondering if any of you know of any other options available to rural arkansas internet providers or if they have any other options. No cable provider in the area so they are forced to use dish tv. Any suggestions?

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
Re: Rural Arkansas Internet Options?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 07:24:31 AM »
In some areas of the state the electric coops are running fiber so you might check in on that.

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 12:13:18 PM »
My parents live over in eastern arkansas in the country and have dish tv and the internet via the satellite but it’s badically like dial up and it hasn’t even worked in months. Dad tried to go the AT&T route with the hotspot but you only get like 10mbg or whatever and they were charging him out the asshole and you have to get an extra data plan which is just too much money for shit speeds. So wondering if any of you know of any other options available to rural arkansas internet providers or if they have any other options. No cable provider in the area so they are forced to use dish tv. Any suggestions?

Do they have decent cell service?
We got ours through some guy(bear with me, I know this sounds sketch as fuck) who is offering a service, he sets up this equipment, works similar to the hockey pucks, but it 100x more powerful.  It unthrottled, unlimited, and fast enough to stream Netflix, Woopigs, whatever.
My wife works from home doing teleconference type shit, and it works fine for that.
It uses bandwidth from either AT+T, or Verizon...I’m not clear on the witchcraft part of it, but he buys bandwidth from the carriers and then does some sort of magic.  It works, I know that.

If they might be interested, pm me or something and I’ll send you his contact info.

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
  • I know, my behavior can be... *erratic* sometimes
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 05:18:28 PM »
Do they have decent cell service?
We got ours through some guy(bear with me, I know this sounds sketch as fuck) who is offering a service, he sets up this equipment, works similar to the hockey pucks, but it 100x more powerful.  It unthrottled, unlimited, and fast enough to stream Netflix, Woopigs, whatever.
My wife works from home doing teleconference type shit, and it works fine for that.
It uses bandwidth from either AT+T, or Verizon...I’m not clear on the witchcraft part of it, but he buys bandwidth from the carriers and then does some sort of magic.  It works, I know that.

If they might be interested, pm me or something and I’ll send you his contact info.

LMAO.

What kind of speeds do you get?  How consistent is it?

David St. Hubbins: We say, "Love your brother." We don't say it really, but...
Nigel:We don't literally say it.
David St. Hubbins: No, we don't say it.
Nigel: We don't really, literally mean it.

Offline Boar Bidet

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 06:41:26 PM »
My parents currently have that Hughes  Net shit and it’s horrible

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 06:56:49 PM »
My parents currently have that Hughes  Net shit and it’s horrible

Yeah, that stuff is weak.

I have a Verizon Unlimited hockey puck Hotspot that does far better than I expected when I got it back in May.  I'd say 50% of the time I get between 25-35 Mbps.  40% 8-20 Mbps.  10%  < 1 Mbps.

I was already to cancel direct TV and get YouTube TV, and then my signal was really inconsistent over this past weekend.

Looking forward to seeing what Starlink and Amazon's satellites can do when they get in service.   Suppose to be much faster/lower latency than any of the existing crap.

Offline Boar Bidet

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 07:32:57 PM »
Yeah, that stuff is weak.

I have a Verizon Unlimited hockey puck Hotspot that does far better than I expected when I got it back in May.  I'd say 50% of the time I get between 25-35 Mbps.  40% 8-20 Mbps.  10%  < 1 Mbps.

I was already to cancel direct TV and get YouTube TV, and then my signal was really inconsistent over this past weekend.

Looking forward to seeing what Starlink and Amazon's satellites can do when they get in service.   Suppose to be much faster/lower latency than any of the existing crap.
i haven’t heard of the starling or amazon satellites for internet options. When will this roll out to rural America.

I’m flabbergasted in 2020 why they haven’t found a solution for decent internet service for rural America. I guess western Kentucky and West Virginia are super fucked since they can’t even get cell phone coverage. What happens with 5G? Will it even matter once you got 5G for rural areas

• King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 09:21:28 PM »
LMAO.

What kind of speeds do you get?  How consistent is it?

The consistency is good.  The speed...5.8 mbps down, 13.7 up right now.  It’s a little better during the day.

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.

Offline capnthog

• Poorly qualified to represent the LBC.
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 10:49:09 PM »
Kinda off topic:

I’m cutting the cord. But I’ve called directtv twice and the runaround to cancel is incredible. They ask for 4 digit PIN numbers I know nothing about.  Pass me to operator after operator.  Then they either leave me rotting on hold or hang up.

I know their ship is sinking, but god damn they are frustrating.   I guess they’ll figure it out when my equipment shows up on their doorstep.

Eat me.

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 11:15:44 PM »
i haven’t heard of the starling or amazon satellites for internet options. When will this roll out to rural America.

I’m flabbergasted in 2020 why they haven’t found a solution for decent internet service for rural America. I guess western Kentucky and West Virginia are super fucked since they can’t even get cell phone coverage. What happens with 5G? Will it even matter once you got 5G for rural areas

The issue with 5G is that it is very short range for the service with fast speeds.  And by short range, I mean 100 ft.

SpaceX is firing off the satellites into orbit.  I think both they and amazon are trying to have there service offered sometime this year

• King of the Hogs
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »
The issue with 5G is that it is very short range for the service with fast speeds.  And by short range, I mean 100 ft.

SpaceX is firing off the satellites into orbit.  I think both they and amazon are trying to have there service offered sometime this year

I am within 100 feet of space sometimes.  It might work for me.

Your new administration.
Accept it, bitches!

That's me.