Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Concrete slab  (Read 5104 times)

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
  • I know, my behavior can be... *erratic* sometimes
Re: Concrete slab
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2020, 08:07:12 PM »
Speaking of finish, the initial intent is for this to be a basketball court, but I am planning on having footers installed so I can transition it into a shop in the future.

What kind of finish should I be asking for?

The very pants I was returning!

Online Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2020, 08:55:16 PM »
If it's going to be a shop in the future I would have said smooth trowel finish.  But here's the chemistry problem....

For an exterior basketball court, you'd want air-entrained concrete for durability, especially in freeze-thaw cycles.  If you smooth trowel air-entrained concrete you eventually wind up with delamination and scaling at the surface.

Either skip the entrained air and smooth trowel it, or order the concrete with air-entrainment and apply a light broomed finish (that you have the option of coating over or sanding smooth later on for the shop floor.

Personally I'd have a lightly-textured broom finish and worry about whether to sand or coat later when it's turned into a shop.

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
  • I know, my behavior can be... *erratic* sometimes
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2020, 10:56:36 PM »
If it's going to be a shop in the future I would have said smooth trowel finish.  But here's the chemistry problem....

For an exterior basketball court, you'd want air-entrained concrete for durability, especially in freeze-thaw cycles.  If you smooth trowel air-entrained concrete you eventually wind up with delamination and scaling at the surface.

Either skip the entrained air and smooth trowel it, or order the concrete with air-entrainment and apply a light broomed finish (that you have the option of coating over or sanding smooth later on for the shop floor.

Personally I'd have a lightly-textured broom finish and worry about whether to sand or coat later when it's turned into a shop.

Thanks, your recommendation is what I was leaning towards just because it made the most sense to me given what I am attempting to do with this project.

Thanks for your input and expertise.   I had done a search and saw you were very knowledgeable on the subject.

The very pants I was returning!

Online Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2020, 08:38:40 AM »
Of the few things I'm good at, concrete is where I'm the goodest  :thumbup:  American Concrete Institute has two different special inspector certifications for concrete.  Last I checked I'm the only one in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Arkansas that passed the exams for both - comes in handy on Corps of Engineers projects.

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.

Offline razorwire

• King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2020, 09:25:33 AM »
Of the few things I'm good at, concrete is where I'm the goodest  :thumbup:  American Concrete Institute has two different special inspector certifications for concrete.  Last I checked I'm the only one in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Arkansas that passed the exams for both - comes in handy on Corps of Engineers projects.
You are a hard act to follow.

Online Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2020, 09:33:59 AM »
You are a hard act to follow.

But like most concrete, I'm full of cracks and artificial substances.

Offline razorwire

• King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2020, 09:42:36 AM »
But like most concrete, I'm full of cracks and artificial substances.
As long  as your cracks don''t expose your aggregates.

Online Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2020, 10:10:01 AM »
As long  as your cracks don''t expose your aggregates.

:dude1: My stones are still covered

Offline HRC

• Boar
  • WPS
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2020, 03:09:27 PM »

Great stuff!

A lost chicken?  A chicken?  In the woods? - ElvisHog - 2/4/2004
---------------

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2020, 10:45:51 AM »
Asking for a friend.  He needs a large patio poured in his backyard, prefrrably late at night.  Will pay cash. 

Online Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2020, 11:14:31 AM »
Thanks, your recommendation is what I was leaning towards just because it made the most sense to me given what I am attempting to do with this project.

By the way, make sure whoever you hire can cut and cure the concrete too.  The smarter you sound hiring a contractor or ordering the concrete, the less likely they are to try to screw you over.  Pour it at less than 6" slump, W/C ratio of no more than 0.45, air content in the 4-7% range. 

If you leave the placement up to the contractor, they'll try to pour it soupy wet and not use any mechanical consolidation (vibrating), because they allegedly ordered the concrete with super-plasticizer in it - more cost on the concrete gets offset by the reduced labor cost for them.  Some of the things I've seen contractors do to cut corners have made me want to leave the construction industry altogether.  Or go into politics and legalize murder, for my own selfish desires.

Here's the base spec for what most Federal agencies would require:
https://www.wbdg.org/ffc/dod/unified-facilities-guide-specifications-ufgs/ufgs-03-30-00