Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Concrete slab  (Read 5374 times)

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
  • I know, my behavior can be... *erratic* sometimes
Concrete slab
« on: April 08, 2020, 08:30:42 PM »
I'm wanting to pour a 30x30 concrete slab in by backyard.

The issue is I live on 3 acres and my house is at the back of the property on a hill(slopes from the road up to the house).  I have a 500 ft asphalt driveway the cement truck would use to get back there.

I'm concerned about the damage the truck might do to the driveway I had resurfaced 1 year ago.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar scenario or recommendations?

The very pants I was returning!

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Boar Bidet or Board Witch
    • Yamsylvania
Re: Concrete slab
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 10:36:53 PM »

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Offline pigtacular

• Boar

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 01:31:49 AM »
30x30’=900 sq ft surface area
4” slab means 300 cu ft
The 80# bag has 0.6 cu ft of coverage
500 bags x 0.6 = 300 cu ft

500 bags will cost $3,000 plus tax minus any discount.
500 bags will weigh 40,000 pounds. 20 tons. Shuttling 500 bags up and down that driveway will be ... interesting.

300 cu ft = 11.111 yards.

It might be cheaper to truck it in and build a new driveway. ;D
Or precast it in 3 or 4 sections and have it dropped in place by helicopter.

Maybe my math is way off.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:33:27 AM by ArkGuy »
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 04:26:28 AM »
Is using power buggies a legitimate option?  They could then go through the yard in a straighter line, or even up the driveway I suppose. I read they can handle up to 19 cubic feet/load.  Would they be able to get the mix from the truck to the site fast enough? 

Offline Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 08:23:33 AM »
Aren't they called Georgia Buckets?

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 08:28:03 AM »
Aren't they called Georgia Buckets?

I've seen them referred to by both names.

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Boar Bidet or Board Witch
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 08:39:03 AM »
30x30’=900 sq ft surface area
4” slab means 300 cu ft
The 80# bag has 0.6 cu ft of coverage
500 bags x 0.6 = 300 cu ft

500 bags will cost $3,000 plus tax minus any discount.
500 bags will weigh 40,000 pounds. 20 tons. Shuttling 500 bags up and down that driveway will be ... interesting.

300 cu ft = 11.111 yards.

It might be cheaper to truck it in and build a new driveway. ;D
Or precast it in 3 or 4 sections and have it dropped in place by helicopter.

Maybe my math is way off.
yeah I didn’t bother with the math this is just what most people do for patios, small foundations ect on their own.

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 08:53:31 AM »
yeah I didn’t bother with the math this is just what most people do for patios, small foundations ect on their own.

I don't think most people do that big of a job by themselves.

Offline razorwire

• King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 11:09:47 AM »
Is using power buggies a legitimate option?  They could then go through the yard in a straighter line, or even up the driveway I suppose. I read they can handle up to 19 cubic feet/load.  Would they be able to get the mix from the truck to the site fast enough?
Using bags or the Georgia Buckets, the project could be poured in sections (use extra expansion joints) so you could periodically stop.  You would not  need to use  concrete that dries fast.  Use regular concrete.

What is the rush?  Yes, this would take a while to complete.  However, you could use a pick-up truck to deliver the bags or keep the big truck on the main road and use the buckets.  You could use a pick-up truck or two with mason's pans in them and fill the pans from the truck and carefully drive to your pour site.  Cover pickup truck beds with blue tarps and hire large men or women to help shovel the concrete into your form.

As for damage to your driveway, I just had two large trees removed from my backyard and the tree removal company equipment trucks destroyed my old concrete driveway.  You do not want that large concrete truck on your driveway, especially if it is asphalt and you are working on a hot day. 

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 07:29:56 PM »

As for damage to your driveway, I just had two large trees removed from my backyard and the tree removal company equipment trucks destroyed my old concrete driveway.  You do not want that large concrete truck on your driveway, especially if it is asphalt and you are working on a hot day.

That's the conclusion I've come to after researching and hearing from people with experience like yourself.

I've talked with 2 contractors, one stated his solution to my predicament was to use the Georgia Buggies.   The other stated my driveway would probably be fine.

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 09:28:12 PM »
900sf =just under 11 yards.  Have the truck bring it in two or three loads, pour one side30x10, pour the opposite side the same, then Pour your center section.  Hire a crew of guys to do it, they would appreciate the slower pace, and you can take the inside forms down and not have an expansion joint, unless you just want one.  Concrete trucks have enormous tires on them and they spread the footprint out pretty well.  Ten yards Is a max load, so you’d have to get two anyway...

I’ve had ten yard trucks on my asphalt driveway in the deathoven heat of August and never left a mark, but I also has a hell of a gravel bed under it.  I poured 120 yards in two days, never had an issue.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:42:20 PM by The Reverend Snoophogg »
Proffered pronouns:

Your majesty.
His excellency.
Sir
Mr. Man.

Offline Hogwildpigcrazy

• Tush Hog
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 02:06:01 PM »
Let me state that I am a complete dumbass and have no experience pouring slabs. But couldn’t the trucks just drive through the grass? It could easily be restored.

Screen door is handy if needed.

Our founding fathers would have been shooting by now.

Offline Son_of_Spam

• Weird turning pro
  • King of the Hogs
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 04:18:28 PM »
We had a 20x29 pad poured last year. Our driveway was cracked and we knew it would be destroyed, but we were going to replace it anyway. Also had 32 loads of dirt brought in to level the ground. After a few loads, they had to put some gravel down on top,of the driveway to get in and out. Over a year now and it still hasn’t dried up enough to get the driveway replaced because of all the fucking rain. However, we have a guy lined up if it ever quits raining. Good luck.

The room looked like the site of some horrible zoological experiment involving whiskey and gorillas....

Offline Tanny Bogus

• Haunting Wickes since the mid-50's
  • Boar
  • Longtime Fan of Phil Hartman
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 04:50:45 PM »
They can reach part of the way with a boom but that distance would vary based on the equipment the company has available obviously.  Not sure if it would even help much in your case.

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2020, 07:09:24 PM »
Let me state that I am a complete dumbass and have no experience pouring slabs. But couldn’t the trucks just drive through the grass? It could easily be restored.

If it was just grass, I wouldn't be concerned.  My house is at the back of the property.  It's either up the driveway on one side or up a hill over my septic tank and field lines on the other.

• Emperor of Woopig
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2020, 09:00:27 PM »

That’s the best way to get a $2-3k towing bill to have the 40 ton concrete truck removed from your yard.

Concrete trucks sink.  A lot.

Proffered pronouns:

Your majesty.
His excellency.
Sir
Mr. Man.

Offline HOGGLY WOGGLY

• King of the Hogs
  • LET'S GO BRANDON!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2020, 07:47:58 AM »

That used to be the thing to do at Monkey Island at the Memphis Zoo, watch the monkeys beat off.

Offline razorwire

• King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2020, 11:30:29 AM »

It would probably sink like a stone.  Oh,  hire a couple of Mexicans or FBIs to move that wet concrete around.

• Emperor of Woopig
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2020, 12:33:27 PM »
How far off the road/hard surface is it?  A pumper truck might reach....don’t know what your budget is, but may be worth looking into.

Proffered pronouns:

Your majesty.
His excellency.
Sir
Mr. Man.

Offline pigtacular

• Boar
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2020, 05:12:55 PM »
How far off the road/hard surface is it?  A pumper truck might reach....don’t know what your budget is, but may be worth looking into.

It's probably 400+ ft with most of that traveling uphill.

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »
Those of you who have had this done recently or priced it, what price range am I looking at to add some extra parking area to my existing driveway. 

I'm thinking about 525 square feet.

"If life gives you lemons, fuck life."  - Sir John Michael of Oklahoma

• Emperor of Woopig
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2020, 08:52:13 PM »
The price of concrete on a 4” slab will run you about $1.20 a sf, usually you can get a couple Mexicans (not being racist, they are just good at it and good workers, and usually cheaper) to finish it for about $1 a sf.  If you form it up for them and have it ready, you should be able to get it done for about $1200~?

If you are going to park and or drive on it, I’d throw in some rebar.  You can buy it in 20’ sticks at Lowe’s or depot, pretty cheap, lay it out in a one 12” or 16” grid, depending on the size of the rod(heh heh, that’s what she said) and that will add another $100-$150, maybe.  Be sure to block it up off the ground a couple inches at the intersections.  I just use pieces of concrete block or rocks or whatever.  They make little plastic chairs for it, but the are $$$ and you can buy a concrete block for $2, smash it with a hammer, and get 30 pieces out of it for what one of the chairs will cost.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 08:56:21 PM by The Reverend Snoophogg »
Proffered pronouns:

Your majesty.
His excellency.
Sir
Mr. Man.

• Emperor of Woopig
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2020, 09:02:20 PM »
It's probably 400+ ft with most of that traveling uphill.

Pumper truck isn’t going to help you much then.  Range is about 75 yards on the biggest ones, most are around 100-150 feet.  Rental will run you about $800-$1000.

You will prolly be better off renting a Georgia buggy or two.

If you have some softish areas you are worried about, buy a few sheets of 3/4 cd plywood.  It’s about $25 a sheet, but will save your yard some serious ruts.

Proffered pronouns:

Your majesty.
His excellency.
Sir
Mr. Man.

Offline Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • K.Briles darksider #2.
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2020, 03:45:05 PM »
Power buggies - You'll need at least 2 to maintain a continuous placement and avoid potential cold joints.

Pump truck - Depending where you are, there may not be one within 100 miles that has the kind of reach you need, assuming you can even reach the area without booming over the house.

Sack mix on site - Would make a mess and possibly give you an inferior product.

Without knowing where you live or what the area looks like it's hard to make a best-case guess for the approach.  If you hire Mexicans to place and finish the concrete, make sure you know what finish you want and learn the words "no agua".

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.