Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Pressure Washer  (Read 16421 times)

Offline One Quarter

• Tush Hog
  • OP: 3/17/63 - 10/18/19
Pressure Washer
« on: May 17, 2020, 08:23:28 PM »
I'm looking to spend about $300.  What's my best option?

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
Re: Pressure Washer
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:56:21 PM »
I like gas ones.  Got a generac one and love it.  Starts easy and tons of power.  Isn’t very quiet though.  Might look into some type of muffler this year in new hood. 

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »
Gas Dewalt's are really nice. They will work like a champ and last forever.

I've got a little Ryobi electric that I use for washing cars and light pressure washing. Works decent but running a power chord sucks. Same goes for the crappy hose it comes with.

<--- I'm with him

Online Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 09:15:25 PM »
I like the portability and power of gas.  Dad has some old electric one that a client gave him and we can't manage to kill it.  It's great for cleaning around the house but it's a bitch to run extension cords for the driveway.

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas
  • Boar
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 09:28:42 PM »
I’ve never borrowed one I didn’t break, and I’ve never loaned one that hasn’t come back broken. I currently have one that has a Honda engine. It’s about six years old and starts right up. Used it this week. My experience has shown two very important points:

1. Always use fresh gas. Most people let them set for months at a time and then they won’t start. Harbor fright sells a cheap liquid sucking device.

2. Don’t let it run for any length of time while you aren’t spraying water. If you need to take a couple of minutes to inspect the gash you just inflicted in your soffit, shut it off.

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 09:59:33 PM »
I’ve got the Stihl RB400. Love it. Easy pull start and cranks up in the first pull every time.

Riding in seat #1 on the Muss Bus.

Offline HRC

• Boar
  • WPS
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 05:24:53 AM »
I have a Honda gas model I bought from Sam's ages ago. Still starts first pull even after sitting for months.

Couple years ago bought a Ryobi electric that Home Depot had on a pretty good sale. For light duty stuff, like washing cars and bikes, it's really great. Lightweight, quick and easy to use.

If I only had one it would be gas just for the power.

Pro tip. Get a soap cannon. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=soap+cannon

A lost chicken?  A chicken?  In the woods? - ElvisHog - 2/4/2004
---------------

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »
I have a Honda gas model I bought from Sam's ages ago. Still starts first pull even after sitting for months.

Couple years ago bought a Ryobi electric that Home Depot had on a pretty good sale. For light duty stuff, like washing cars and bikes, it's really great. Lightweight, quick and easy to use.

If I only had one it would be gas just for the power.

Pro tip. Get a soap cannon. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=soap+cannon

Ha I threw my perfectly good soap cannon in the trash a couple weeks ago after a handful of uses on the cars. Looks neat and made a nice frothy coat of soap but unless you are just knocking dust off you can't beat the soap drying.

A good rotating nozzle is the best accessory.

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline HRC

• Boar
  • WPS
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 10:20:24 AM »
Ha I threw my perfectly good soap cannon in the trash a couple weeks ago after a handful of uses on the cars. Looks neat and made a nice frothy coat of soap but unless you are just knocking dust off you can't beat the soap drying.

A good rotating nozzle is the best accessory.

1. Do it in chunks, like one side.
2. Don't wash in the sun.
3. Be quick AF.
4. If your vehicle has a ceramic coating, then many times you can just foam and then rinse off and dry and have a clean vehicle.

I get it's not for everyone but the cannons are awesome if you need a lot of soap quickly. Works great on decks and siding as well. To each his own.

---------------

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 10:27:02 AM »
#4 is why ceramic coatings is worth the cost. I only use the cannon to wash it and go over with a rinseless wash/ quick detailer. Looks like a $200 detailer job.

Also use a pH neutral soap. The problem isn't letting the soap sit too long. It's letting the water sit after rinsing. I typically start washing about an hour before sundown.

I'll either use pressure washer with foam cannon (Chemical Bros) foam or I use Optimum no rinse wash and do it in the garage.

<--- I'm with him

Offline HRC

• Boar
  • WPS
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
#4 is why ceramic coatings is worth the cost. I only use the cannon to wash it and go over with a rinseless wash/ quick detailer. Looks like a $200 detailer job.

Also use a pH neutral soap. The problem isn't letting the soap sit too long. It's letting the water sit after rinsing. I typically start washing about an hour before sundown.

I'll either use pressure washer with foam cannon (Chemical Bros) foam or I use Optimum no rinse wash and do it in the garage.

How do you like the no-rinse wash? I have a bottle but haven't used it yet.

---------------

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 10:44:27 AM »
I like the no rinse wash but not the  no rinse wash + wax. I've had it leave a film on a previous car we owned.

I fill up about 3G of water in 2 buckets. One that I add the solution and one with just water that has a grate at the bottom. I use the one with the grate to wipe off dirt from the mitt. You only need a few ounces of solution for 3G. Simply dip your mitt in the water/solution and apply light pressure while going over your car. Only do a panel/area at a time. After applying it to a panel, just follow with a dry cloth to dry and you're done. If your mitt gets dirty (you will see it since it pulls in the dirt), run your mitt across the grate in your water bucket.

Only time I won't use it is if I have caked on dirt that needs to be pressure washed off. In the middle of summer/winter it's nice to be able to wash your car inside a garage. 

<--- I'm with him

Offline HRC

• Boar
  • WPS
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 10:47:59 AM »
I like the no rinse wash but not the  no rinse wash + wax. I've had it leave a film on a previous car we owned.

I fill up about 3G of water in 2 buckets. One that I add the solution and one with just water that has a grate at the bottom. I use the one with the grate to wipe off dirt from the mitt. You only need a few ounces of solution for 3G. Simply dip your mitt in the water/solution and apply light pressure while going over your car. Only do a panel/area at a time. After applying it to a panel, just follow with a dry cloth to dry and you're done. If your mitt gets dirty (you will see it since it pulls in the dirt), run your mitt across the grate in your water bucket.

Only time I won't use it is if I have caked on dirt that needs to be pressure washed off. In the middle of summer/winter it's nice to be able to wash your car inside a garage.

Cool  :borat: I've been meaning to try it but have been too lazy to dive in to how to do it right. It was an impulse buy because I read on another forum how well it works. I just looked and Optimum is what I bought.

---------------

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 11:02:57 AM »
Optimum is all I've used. After I use it I go over with a quick detailer like CarPro Reload or GTechniq. Simply spray on a cloth - go over a section - dry off with another cloth. It will give it a nice shine. Every couple months I replace the quick detailer app with Gtechniq Liquid Crystal. It's a protectant/sealant that works like a ceramic coating. Gtechniq make some of the best car care products.

<--- I'm with him

Offline One Quarter

• Tush Hog
  • OP: 3/17/63 - 10/18/19
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 03:58:07 PM »
I got a Black Max from Walmart for the corporate discount.  3300 PSI, 2.4 GPM.  It's deafeningly loud, but I guess there's no way around that with an open 4-stroke engine.

You guys weren't kidding, the foam cannon is a fucking blast!  My kids loved it, and we got our cars washed in about 10 minutes each.

I put some cheap-ass liquid turtle wax in the cannon after washing and sprayed it on.  Very good result for not much effort.

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 04:34:49 PM »
Just make sure you get a pH neutral soap or it can leave streaks. A lot of people like CarPro Reset and Glossworks as the best foam "shampoo".

<--- I'm with him

Offline razorwire

• King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 10:56:06 AM »
Do any of the power washers have a setting that allows only air to come out the nozzle so you are able to be use the wand for drying off your vehicle?

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas
  • Boar
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »
Do any of the power washers have a setting that allows only air to come out the nozzle so you are able to be use the wand for drying off your vehicle?

That’s the job for a blower. I got a cordless one from Harbor fright that works well for the money.

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 05:50:16 AM »

The PW would have to have an onboard air compressor. Do any models come with that feature?

If not, might be an opportunity to bring a new product to market! 

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 07:23:20 AM »
Somebody explain why this pressure washer is $250 when most in this psi/gpm range are around $100 more? Usually when something seems to be a good deal, I’m missing something.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/simpson-megashot-briggs-stratton/prod24470019?xid=plp_product_1_3

Example:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-2800-PSI-2-3-GPM-Cold-Water-Gas-Pressure-Washer-with-Briggs-Stratton-Engine-CARB/1000730676

"If life gives you lemons, fuck life."  - Sir John Michael of Oklahoma

Online BASS

• the philosophical woopigga
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 10:03:31 AM »
Somebody explain why this pressure washer is $250 when most in this psi/gpm range are around $100 more? Usually when something seems to be a good deal, I’m missing something.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/simpson-megashot-briggs-stratton/prod24470019?xid=plp_product_1_3

Example:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-2800-PSI-2-3-GPM-Cold-Water-Gas-Pressure-Washer-with-Briggs-Stratton-Engine-CARB/1000730676

sometimes you get what you pay for.  i'm a firm believer briggs and stratton has two engine models; 1. quality sturdy engine like they have always produced 2. a cheap low quality piece of crap they were forced to make by walmart to be a supplier for their murray brand and others like it.

i've had both in lawn mowers over the years.  but not at the same time, maybe its more of they used to be like #1, but now they have migrated everything to #2.

fuck your feelings

Offline razorwire

• King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 10:26:47 AM »
That’s the job for a blower. I got a cordless one from Harbor fright that works well for the money.
Like a leaf blower?

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 10:28:48 AM »
Like a leaf blower?

That is what I use.

Offline razorwire

• King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 10:31:24 AM »
That is what I use.
Dang.  I never thought of that.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 10:32:00 AM »
Like a leaf blower?

Yes - it helps but you still have to finish with a towel. Maybe if you have one bad mother blower it will do the whole job.

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.