Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Powered Subwoofer  (Read 1669 times)

Offline One Quarter

• Tush Hog
  • OP: 3/17/63 - 10/18/19
Powered Subwoofer
« on: June 05, 2020, 09:59:29 PM »
I need a replacement for my 12" Polk Audio sub.  It's given me 5 years of service, but now it's just putting out static, for no good reason.

I want a 15" powered sub.  It will only be doing LFE from the sound bar.

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
Re: Powered Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 10:36:44 PM »
First check the fuse then see if there is some easily swappable plate amp out there.

I have heard good things about the monoprice thx line and SVS has good deals on b stock in their outlet from time to time which is where my 12" came from after my Klipsch blew.

Sucks that the things are basically disposable.

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline One Quarter

• Tush Hog
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 11:11:14 PM »
First check the fuse then see if there is some easily swappable plate amp out there.

Explain, please.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 01:39:20 AM »
Explain, please.
If you want to try to salvage your sub -

The plate amp should have a fuse - check that first to see if it is blown.

If not and you want to bother, they sell the plate amps that power the sub but depending on what you have they may require modification to fit.

Tex should be along shortly to help

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 06:53:53 AM »

If not and you want to bother, they sell the plate amps that power the sub but depending on what you have they may require modification to fit.

PartsExpress.com

Plate Amps such as Dayton and Bash are usually pretty good.

Beyond that the driver needs to be pulled. Stick a 9 volt battery to it to see if there is any movement on the cone/motor. If not the driver is dead.

Sent from my motorola one action and pulled straight out of my asshole.

Offline One Quarter

• Tush Hog
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 01:14:46 PM »

Thanks!

PartsExpress.com

Plate Amps such as Dayton and Bash are usually pretty good.

Beyond that the driver needs to be pulled. Stick a 9 volt battery to it to see if there is any movement on the cone/motor. If not the driver is dead.

The driver works.  It puts out a healthy bass note when I'm plugging the signal cable in.

Does it mean anything to any of you guys that the static is intermittent when it's plugged in and turned on?  Like PSSSHT - off -PSSSHT - off.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 06:37:12 PM »
Thanks!

The driver works.  It puts out a healthy bass note when I'm plugging the signal cable in.

Does it mean anything to any of you guys that the static is intermittent when it's plugged in and turned on?  Like PSSSHT - off -PSSSHT - off.

Animal and 1st have given you great advice to troubleshoot and repair. So the driver is working.  That is good.  Are you saying the static is intermittent using the subwoofer cable?  If so it might be a bad cable, or a really dirty jack.  or youve likely got a short somewhere in here.  maybe Animal or 1st (where's Pink, he's a certified audio engineer) have another idea to troubleshoot.  They are both right about plate amps; fairly cheap and easy to replace...usually.

If you replace I am generally not a fan of 15" subs, i would replace with a higher quality 12" that has a longer throw motor.  I just think it's hard to get a great 15" without a motor and frame the size of a Buick.  Its personal taste.  I also prefer them wired instead of connected wirelessly.  I like SVS, Monoprice, JBL, several others.  I like the better Klipsch but not the cheap ones.  id be careful with some of the brands; lots of consoldation coming in audio.  Looks like B&W is getting bought by Sound United (Polk, Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Boston Acoustics, HEOS, Classe), some others may be gone soon.

Offline One Quarter

• Tush Hog
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 12:49:41 AM »
Animal and 1st have given you great advice to troubleshoot and repair. So the driver is working.  That is good.  Are you saying the static is intermittent using the subwoofer cable?  If so it might be a bad cable, or a really dirty jack.  or youve likely got a short somewhere in here.  maybe Animal or 1st (where's Pink, he's a certified audio engineer) have another idea to troubleshoot.  They are both right about plate amps; fairly cheap and easy to replace...usually.

Thanks!  So here's what it's doing, with no input (you may have to turn your volume up):

Offline One Quarter

• Tush Hog
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 01:20:35 AM »
Well, shit, I just noticed it doesn't make any noise when the cable isn't plugged in.  I'm going to see if I have another cable around here.

Tried another cable, in all the LFE and R/L channels, and same result.  I guess the plate amp is fucked.

Or maybe it's the sound bar?

Nope, I plugged red/white RCA cables into the sub from the sound bar, same result.

Offline Animal

• Custom Title
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 06:24:01 AM »
Well, shit, I just noticed it doesn't make any noise when the cable isn't plugged in.  I'm going to see if I have another cable around here.

Tried another cable, in all the LFE and R/L channels, and same result.  I guess the plate amp is fucked.

Or maybe it's the sound bar?

Nope, I plugged red/white RCA cables into the sub from the sound bar, same result.

Basically the sub gets a signal that it's time to come on and that is when it's failing or at least that what I think is happening. You could try switching that toggle switch down to "ON" instead of stand-by or auto and see if it does anything different. If it works it will be pulling power all the time though.