Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Whole-Home Automation  (Read 2904 times)

Offline One Quarter

• Tush Hog
  • OP: 3/17/63 - 10/18/19
Whole-Home Automation
« on: December 01, 2020, 11:08:13 PM »
I'd like to do the following via WiFi / Bluetooth:

Front-door lock/unlock
Garage door up/down
2-zone thermostat
Color light bulbs
1-5 outlets

What's my best option today?

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Online Rick B.

• Nukular Fizzicyst
  • King of the Hogs
Re: Whole-Home Automation
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 03:05:33 AM »
I'd like to do the following via WiFi / Bluetooth:

Front-door lock/unlock
Garage door up/down
2-zone thermostat
Color light bulbs
1-5 outlets

What's my best option today?
I've got all that stuff. I mixed and matched. Come to Walk-On's tonight and we can discuss what I did. HRC is an expert on that stuff too. He doesn't read the board much anymore though.

Offline jacobp

• Tush Hog
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 07:37:25 AM »
Comes down to personal preference. You can mix/match like Rick said, but I've leaned toward the Google/Nest products simply because I like to be able to control everything from one place.
Currently I have the thermostat, door lock, doorbell cam, living room lights, 3 upstairs outlets, alarm system, and both smart tv's running through Google and I'm pretty happy with it. Garage door is next on my list.

My neighbor started with the Ring doorbell cam, so he's leaned more Amazon/Alexa heavy for his house. I don't notice much of a difference between the two.

Online Rick B.

• Nukular Fizzicyst
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 07:43:29 AM »
Comes down to personal preference. You can mix/match like Rick said, but I've leaned toward the Google/Nest products simply because I like to be able to control everything from one place.
Currently I have the thermostat, door lock, doorbell cam, living room lights, 3 upstairs outlets, alarm system, and both smart tv's running through Google and I'm pretty happy with it. Garage door is next on my list.

My neighbor started with the Ring doorbell cam, so he's leaned more Amazon/Alexa heavy for his house. I don't notice much of a difference between the two.
All of mine are controlled through the Alexa devices. However, some are made by Kasa, some by Geeni, and my garage door opener is MyQ from Chamberlain. Thermostat is Honeywell. Smart plugs are by T Teckin. Front door lock is Kwikset. Needless to say, most of the devices I control through the Smart Life app. Including three security cameras. A couple of others, have their own app. But everything except my garage door opener can be voice controlled through Alexa.

Offline kingofdequeen

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 07:53:27 AM »
no thanks.

Offline BASS

• the philosophical woopigga
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 08:39:06 AM »

fuck your feelings

Online Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 07:17:05 PM »
All of mine are controlled through the Alexa devices. However, some are made by Kasa, some by Geeni, and my garage door opener is MyQ from Chamberlain. Thermostat is Honeywell. Smart plugs are by T Teckin. Front door lock is Kwikset. Needless to say, most of the devices I control through the Smart Life app. Including three security cameras. A couple of others, have their own app. But everything except my garage door opener can be voice controlled through Alexa.

And everyone in China knows kind of underwear you wear.  :borat:

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Online Rick B.

• Nukular Fizzicyst
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 07:18:55 PM »
And?

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• Surgeon General of Woopig
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 12:31:33 PM »

I don't think my Nest or garage door app from  Chamberlain are going to give them 1% more information than they get from your PC and phone.

Just based on the refinement of ads on Google, Facebook, etc they clearly don't need more info about what my interests are, or what underwear I wear...

Offline SteveJ

• ElvisHog of ye olden days
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 09:38:49 PM »

Nest Thermostat/Nest Aware/Nest Camera. Hue lights all over the place. Alexa resides in my shop and Google minis in the house. A Coredy vacuum that I can just say "hey Alexa/Google, start the vacuum". At some point he heads back to the dock.

I'm not dying for anything else....front door lock would be cool, but we barely use it. In and out through the garage typically.

Same garage door opener. They're bastards about not playing along with Alexa and Google.

Online Rick B.

• Nukular Fizzicyst
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 12:33:23 PM »
Nest Thermostat/Nest Aware/Nest Camera. Hue lights all over the place. Alexa resides in my shop and Google minis in the house. A Coredy vacuum that I can just say "hey Alexa/Google, start the vacuum". At some point he heads back to the dock.

I'm not dying for anything else....front door lock would be cool, but we barely use it. In and out through the garage typically.

Same garage door opener. They're bastards about not playing along with Alexa and Google.

The front door is nice when we have friends coming over and we're too freakin lazy to get up and unlock the door.

Yeah, we have a Deebot vacuum cleaner.  I haven't even checked if Alexa can control her but we just normally have it on a timer for 10 AM while we're gone to work.  Floors look pretty clean all the time.  it's nice. 

My Vizio TV is also on Alexa.  If I'm at the sink in the kitchen, i can have it turn the volume up while I'm cutting carrots or pouring my Basil Hayden.   It won't, however, pause the TV or change channels because the signal is Cox cable. 

Offline SteveJ

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 03:46:28 PM »
The front door is nice when we have friends coming over and we're too freakin lazy to get up and unlock the door.

Yeah, we have a Deebot vacuum cleaner.  I haven't even checked if Alexa can control her but we just normally have it on a timer for 10 AM while we're gone to work.  Floors look pretty clean all the time.  it's nice. 

My Vizio TV is also on Alexa.  If I'm at the sink in the kitchen, i can have it turn the volume up while I'm cutting carrots or pouring my Basil Hayden.   It won't, however, pause the TV or change channels because the signal is Cox cable.

Google can control my Onkyo receiver that the TV runs through. So I can just holler at her to turn it up. She does in 10 unit increments.

But mainly I just holler at her to play some music. "Hey Google....play some Foo Fighters from Spotify on the Stereo". Click...click as the unit turns on, then Foo Fighters. Or "on all speakers" and now it's playing on the stereo and the two minis in the house.

I just dig all of it.

Offline BASS

• the philosophical woopigga
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 04:17:21 PM »
Google can control my Onkyo receiver that the TV runs through. So I can just holler at her to turn it up. She does in 10 unit increments.

But mainly I just holler at her to play some music. "Hey Google....play some Foo Fighters from Spotify on the Stereo". Click...click as the unit turns on, then Foo Fighters. Or "on all speakers" and now it's playing on the stereo and the two minis in the house.

I just dig all of it.

You'll be in group 1A taken out by skynet.

fuck your feelings

Online Rick B.

• Nukular Fizzicyst
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 04:35:07 PM »

I just dig all of it.

My favorite one is there is an Alexa controlled MICROWAVE.  Now who in the hell would need to say "Alexa, turn microwave on high for 1 minute" when you physically have to be standing there putting the stuff in the freakin microwave.  THAT'S where I draw the line and think it's ridiculous.

My favorite expression is "Alexa, play some disco!"

Offline SteveJ

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 06:49:55 PM »
You'll be in group 1A taken out by skynet.

Honestly, isn't that how you'd want it though?

I don't want to live in the fucking subways for the rest of my days.