Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Whole-Home Automation  (Read 736 times)

Online One Quarter

• Tush Hog
  • OP: 3/17/63 - 10/18/19
Whole-Home Automation
« on: December 01, 2020, 11:08:13 PM »
I'd like to do the following via WiFi / Bluetooth:

Front-door lock/unlock
Garage door up/down
2-zone thermostat
Color light bulbs
1-5 outlets

What's my best option today?

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.

Offline Rick B.

• Nukular Fizzicyst
  • King of the Hogs
Re: Whole-Home Automation
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 03:05:33 AM »
I'd like to do the following via WiFi / Bluetooth:

Front-door lock/unlock
Garage door up/down
2-zone thermostat
Color light bulbs
1-5 outlets

What's my best option today?
I've got all that stuff. I mixed and matched. Come to Walk-On's tonight and we can discuss what I did. HRC is an expert on that stuff too. He doesn't read the board much anymore though.

Offline jacobp

• Tush Hog
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 07:37:25 AM »
Comes down to personal preference. You can mix/match like Rick said, but I've leaned toward the Google/Nest products simply because I like to be able to control everything from one place.
Currently I have the thermostat, door lock, doorbell cam, living room lights, 3 upstairs outlets, alarm system, and both smart tv's running through Google and I'm pretty happy with it. Garage door is next on my list.

My neighbor started with the Ring doorbell cam, so he's leaned more Amazon/Alexa heavy for his house. I don't notice much of a difference between the two.

Offline Rick B.

• Nukular Fizzicyst
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 07:43:29 AM »
Comes down to personal preference. You can mix/match like Rick said, but I've leaned toward the Google/Nest products simply because I like to be able to control everything from one place.
Currently I have the thermostat, door lock, doorbell cam, living room lights, 3 upstairs outlets, alarm system, and both smart tv's running through Google and I'm pretty happy with it. Garage door is next on my list.

My neighbor started with the Ring doorbell cam, so he's leaned more Amazon/Alexa heavy for his house. I don't notice much of a difference between the two.
All of mine are controlled through the Alexa devices. However, some are made by Kasa, some by Geeni, and my garage door opener is MyQ from Chamberlain. Thermostat is Honeywell. Smart plugs are by T Teckin. Front door lock is Kwikset. Needless to say, most of the devices I control through the Smart Life app. Including three security cameras. A couple of others, have their own app. But everything except my garage door opener can be voice controlled through Alexa.

Offline kingofdequeen

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 07:53:27 AM »
no thanks.

Offline BASS

• the philosophical woopigga
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 08:39:06 AM »

fuck your feelings

Online Animal

• Custom Title
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 07:17:05 PM »
All of mine are controlled through the Alexa devices. However, some are made by Kasa, some by Geeni, and my garage door opener is MyQ from Chamberlain. Thermostat is Honeywell. Smart plugs are by T Teckin. Front door lock is Kwikset. Needless to say, most of the devices I control through the Smart Life app. Including three security cameras. A couple of others, have their own app. But everything except my garage door opener can be voice controlled through Alexa.

And everyone in China knows kind of underwear you wear.  :borat:

Offline Rick B.

• Nukular Fizzicyst
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 07:18:55 PM »
And?

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• Surgeon General of Woopig
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 12:31:33 PM »

I don't think my Nest or garage door app from  Chamberlain are going to give them 1% more information than they get from your PC and phone.

Just based on the refinement of ads on Google, Facebook, etc they clearly don't need more info about what my interests are, or what underwear I wear...