Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: It's new car time. And I'm no arab trader.  (Read 10808 times)

Offline Filthy_McSwine

• Tush Hog
Re: It's new car time. And I'm no arab trader.
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2021, 08:23:39 PM »
Drove both Cx30 and cx5. The interior quality is fantastic. It’s up there or better than most luxury brands. The 30 drives amazing and so does the 5. What gets me is the infotainment. Those of you that have a Mazda how easy is it to adjust it isn’t touch screen which is what I really like better. It took me a while to try and figure out the entertainment and how to get into shit

I mentioned a while back that my wife bought a 2021 CX-5 Signature.  At first she wasn't real thrilled but has since gotten used to it and now even likes it.  The more you use it the more intuitive it becomes and there's shortcuts that make going between screens faster.  I actually prefer it after having it on a BMW a couple of years ago.  And you're right about the quality, inside and out.  It doesn't hurt it hauls fucking ass and handles great, at least for the class.

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Boar Bidet or Board Witch
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2021, 09:12:24 PM »
If I had to choose between the two, I'd prefer a separate physical selector mechanism that I don't have to reach for.  Doesn't Audi or BMW have something like that (that is done well)?

Solely a touch screen without tactile feedback seems like a bad idea.
the Volvo XC60 is a way better entertainment screen...larger, touch screen with a home button that you can toggle up and down and swipe to get to things. I’m leaning towards it because of all the vehicles I’ve driven I love the tech and it seems the most advance snd easy to use while driving. Toyota was too confusing and basic. Mazda screen is small and everything is done from the console area and the toggling back and forth seemed to do it in for me. But the drive and leather is too notch. If they change to a bigger screen and make it touch screen in the next three years I’ll buy it. For now I think I’m sold. Also a pano moonroof would be nice as their sunroof is very small

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Offline Son_of_Spam

• Weird turning pro
  • King of the Hogs
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die.
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2021, 10:26:58 PM »
Drove both Cx30 and cx5. The interior quality is fantastic. It’s up there or better than most luxury brands. The 30 drives amazing and so does the 5. What gets me is the infotainment. Those of you that have a Mazda how easy is it to adjust it isn’t touch screen which is what I really like better. It took me a while to try and figure out the entertainment and how to get into shit
Once you get used to it, it is easy. Bluetooth, CarPlay, etc. There are lots of other things but I would have to read the book to tell you about them. I love the fact that Waze will show up on the info screen. Nearly all the controls are either on the steering wheel or the knob on the console. The only drawback I have is that your phone will not charge unless the car is turned on.  But that is a small thing.

The room looked like the site of some horrible zoological experiment involving whiskey and gorillas....

Online DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2021, 10:40:54 AM »
If I had to choose between the two, I'd prefer a separate physical selector mechanism that I don't have to reach for.  Doesn't Audi or BMW have something like that (that is done well)?

Solely a touch screen without tactile feedback seems like a bad idea.

BMW has both the touchscreen and the iDrive system, which is a twist knob with function buttons next to the gear shift.  You can also pay a little extra and get gesture control for the touchscreen if that's your thing. 

?s=20

Online BASS

• the philosophical woopigga
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2021, 10:53:23 AM »
What does one do with infotainment system in a car?  I just listen to radio and use my phone for whatever I need.

My mustang has two screens, one where the radio is, doesn't do much else unless I have it bluetoothed to my phone. The other is between the speedometer and tach and I have steering wheel buttons to navigate tire pressure, digital speedo, engine stats, fuel, etc.

fuck your feelings

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2021, 10:58:19 AM »
What does one do with infotainment system in a car?  I just listen to radio and use my phone for whatever I need.

My mustang has two screens, one where the radio is, doesn't do much else unless I have it bluetoothed to my phone. The other is between the speedometer and tach and I have steering wheel buttons to navigate tire pressure, digital speedo, engine stats, fuel, etc.
everything is on the tablet like screen. Apple play, the xm radio, air/heat, turning off on all the various auto drive functions ect. Mazda is a solid ride and car but their set up sucks. I liked the Mercedes as well but the gear shift being the window wiper thing was a total turn off as well as flaps to manually shift on the steering wheel.

Look I’m a Luddite...I need something easy that’s not gonna be a distraction when driving. To me the Volvo system is the easiest and most advance I’ve seen which is why I’m just gonna go with the xc60. If in a few years Mazda goes touch screen and gets a bigger screen I’m sold and will buy one

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Online BASS

• the philosophical woopigga
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2021, 11:02:59 AM »
everything is on the tablet like screen. Apple play, the xm radio, air/heat, turning off on all the various auto drive functions ect. Mazda is a solid ride and car but their set up sucks. I liked the Mercedes as well but the gear shift being the window wiper thing was a total turn off as well as flaps to manually shift on the steering wheel.

Look I’m a Luddite...I need something easy that’s not gonna be a distraction when driving. To me the Volvo system is the easiest and most advance I’ve seen which is why I’m just gonna go with the xc60. If in a few years Mazda goes touch screen and gets a bigger screen I’m sold and will buy one

I'd be happy with the tech in a 1970 plymouth barracuda. When I'm driving, I drive and listen to music, that's pretty much it. If I don't know where I'm going I use Google maps on my phone.

fuck your feelings

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »
I'd be happy with the tech in a 1970 plymouth barracuda. When I'm driving, I drive and listen to music, that's pretty much it. If I don't know where I'm going I use Google maps on my phone.
im not buying a new car that doesn’t have every bell and whistle. Including the wireless charge station. I get it though...for two decades I’ve been like that but now I’m ready for a major upgrade

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2021, 12:12:49 PM »
im not buying a new car that doesn’t have every bell and whistle. Including the wireless charge station. I get it though...for two decades I’ve been like that but now I’m ready for a major upgrade

I haven’t seen the Volvo Qi charging pad but in a car MagSafe from Apple is the only way to ensure your phone stays connected.  Qi is better for stationary use like a nightstand.  If you want MagSafe you have to go aftermarket. 

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2021, 12:13:47 PM »
I haven’t seen the Volvo Qi charging pad but in a car MagSafe from Apple is the only way to ensure your phone stays connected.  Qi is better for stationary use like a nightstand.  If you want MagSafe you have to go aftermarket.
what in the fuck did you just say?

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2021, 05:54:34 PM »
what in the fuck did you just say?

The wireless charging standard for your hone is Qi (chee).  If it doesnt have the Qi seal it is some bullshit Chinesey knockoff that will burn down your house or fuck up your car.  The problem with Qi in a car is that it was not designed for cars but stable immobile flat surfaces; the hone must be perfectly aligned on the qi pad to work properly.  This is the inherent flaw in the technology and why it sucks in a car unless using a mount with a clamp.  As advanced as you want to believe Volvo is on these electronics all manufacturers are way behind the aftermarket. 

MagSafe was developed by Apple to overcome this flaw in all applications.  it is only available in the aftermarket.  It uses magnets to align and secure the charging disc, similar to what you use with an Apple watch.

Basically every time you hit a bump your phone will misalign, an wont charge. 

Do you use wireless charging now at home?

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2021, 05:58:08 PM »
The wireless charging standard for your hone is Qi (chee).  If it doesnt have the Qi seal it is some bullshit Chinesey knockoff that will burn down your house or fuck up your car.  The problem with Qi in a car is that it was not designed for cars but stable immobile flat surfaces; the hone must be perfectly aligned on the qi pad to work properly.  This is the inherent flaw in the technology and why it sucks in a car unless using a mount with a clamp.  As advanced as you want to believe Volvo is on these electronics all manufacturers are way behind the aftermarket. 

MagSafe was developed by Apple to overcome this flaw in all applications.  it is only available in the aftermarket.  It uses magnets to align and secure the charging disc, similar to what you use with an Apple watch.

Basically every time you hit a bump your phone will misalign, an wont charge. 

Do you use wireless charging now at home?
no but I would like to. I’m a Luddite dude

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2021, 06:26:10 PM »
no but I would like to. I’m a Luddite dude

Thats why im trying to explain to you.  We know youre a Luddite but you have been enamoured of the wireless technology to the point youre about to spend $40k on a car for a feature that costs $30-50 at Best Buy.  if you love the Volvo buy it, but dont base it on a silly charging pad.  You'll be on here complaining about it at some point.  Do me a favor and at least put a wired car charger an cable in your glove box just in case the qi breaks.  You'll drive 8 hours out into the wilderness and discover your phone is dead.

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2021, 06:43:07 PM »
BMW has both the touchscreen and the iDrive system, which is a twist knob with function buttons next to the gear shift.  You can also pay a little extra and get gesture control for the touchscreen if that's your thing.

Wife has the gesture controls on her BMW. It's more of a pain than a feature.

<--- I'm with him

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2021, 06:52:26 PM »
I use this in my truck. Pretty happy with it.

<--- I'm with him

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2021, 07:21:08 PM »
The suv I found I loved doesn’t have wireless charging but everything else so I said fuck it. The salesman actually said it’s easier to just buy and install like Tex was talking about so will do.

Also since when do cars now have heater steering wheels? I mean if the car is warm do you really need them? The only thing I wish this. At had that it doesn’t is air ventilated seats like the Mazda. It’s fantastic on leather but meh I’ll survive

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2021, 07:31:06 PM »
Posted wrong vid before. This one with wireless charging and gives you an extra usb.

<--- I'm with him

Online DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2021, 09:26:37 PM »
Wife has the gesture controls on her BMW. It's more of a pain than a feature.

I had it on a loaner for a day.  Only gesture I could figure out was how to tell the system it was number one. 

We didn't get it on the new one.  Texzilla will be happy to know we didn't get wireless charging either.  Wireless CarPlay is nice.

?s=20

Offline Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2021, 10:04:04 PM »
Wife has the CX-5. The interior is top notch, and one big selling point is that is one of the few cars still completely assembled in Japan. I know buy American and all that, but the quality control is way better over there. Sorry, it is what it is.

The infotainment knob becomes second nature and allows you to do everything with your arm in a relaxed manner on the console.

"If life gives you lemons, fuck life."  - Sir John Michael of Oklahoma

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2021, 10:07:40 PM »
Wife has the CX-5. The interior is top notch, and one big selling point is that is one of the few cars still completely assembled in Japan. I know buy American and all that, but the quality control is way better over there. Sorry, it is what it is.

The infotainment knob becomes second nature and allows you to do everything with your arm in a relaxed manner on the console.
i didn’t like it and why is the screen so small? The interior and quality of leather though are top notch down to the stitching. Rivals a Mercedes on the inside attention to detail. Mercedes nob control is easier to navigate than Mazda’s. It just seemed basic having to constantly toggle back to get where I wanted to go. That Mazda Cx30 is still on my list for a later date though. It beat the XC40 hands down on drive, interior and everything just about.

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2021, 08:28:43 AM »
Swahili what did you buy?  What phone you got?  Do you have/use AirPlay?  Do you want wireless?  Or fast charging?  I’ll give you some recs.

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2021, 01:22:58 PM »
Swahili what did you buy?  What phone you got?  Do you have/use AirPlay?  Do you want wireless?  Or fast charging?  I’ll give you some recs.
o got the Volvo XC60 love it. I have Apple car play and like it but wtf why is it not wireless. The cord to plug it into is in my console and it’s just a pain  having a cord going to my mountain the dash for it. Why ain’t this Shit wireless? The phone is but why not Apple car play?

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2021, 04:00:25 PM »
Wireless car play is just being made available for some car makers. It will be standard in the near future.

<--- I'm with him

Online DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2021, 04:12:05 PM »
Wireless car play is just being made available for some car makers. It will be standard in the near future.

I will say that, while I'm thrilled to have wireless CarPlay in the X5, it is a big time battery hog.  The wireless charger doesn't keep pace with the usage...about the best you can hope for is for it to slow the drain. 

?s=20

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2021, 06:43:29 PM »
I typically plug in anyways. If I'm gonna listen to tunes I might as well get a charge as well.

<--- I'm with him