Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Issue 25: Better Search (Abandoned)  (Read 1707 times)

Offline SteveJ

• ElvisHog of ye olden days
  • King of the Hogs
Issue 25: Better Search (Abandoned)
« on: March 11, 2021, 12:56:06 PM »
Make the search better. Requested by acater.

Issue: https://github.com/woopignet/woopig-board/issues/25
Project: https://github.com/woopignet/woopig-board/projects/3

As we all know, rebuilding the search index crashed the board. I pulled down a copy of the database to my computer at home and am building the index there. When it's complete, I'll just replace the index table in the "Production" database with it.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 05:03:16 PM by SteveJ »

Offline SteveJ

• King of the Hogs
Re: Issue 25: Better Search (In Progress)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 10:19:12 PM »
Offline building of the custom index is done. I'm going to copy that data into the main board database tonight.

If it doesn't make the search feature better, it is what it is. There's nothing else I can do. Just a shortcoming of the software.

Offline SteveJ

• King of the Hogs
Re: Issue 25: Better Search (Abandoned)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 05:02:55 PM »
So my shade tree databasin' didn't work as I had hoped. I thought I could build that custom index offline on a copy of the database and then put that in place on the main database.

Nope.

There are five tables that the search function uses so I backed up the ones already in place here, cleared the data out of them, and loaded them with the data from the copy. There's more data in those tables than was there before....but in the Search part of admin where you tell it what kind of search, custom or full text index, it says the custom index still needs to be built.

I resumed the custom build just to see where it was and it was less than 50% and I stopped it. Building this index is what crashed the board and I'm not even trying that again. If I took the site offline for four days and let it build, it would probably finish.

But having the site down to improve the search function doesn't seem worth it. So....that's about it for this one.

I'll build the custom index over on the archive version of the board and if you really really need to find something, it's the full database and you'll be able to search it differently than you can this one.

Online Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 05:57:13 PM »
https://duckduckgo.com/bang

It looks like you can submit the site to be part of this although I'm not sure it would meet their criteria for site indexing.

The general function of a bang is to go to DuckDuckGo.com and place a exclamation (!) in the text box which would bring up a number of search options. From there you would do something like !woopig nba thread and bob's your uncle.

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Online One Quarter

• Tush Hog
  • OP: 3/17/63 - 10/18/19
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 06:11:49 PM »
https://duckduckgo.com/bang

It looks like you can submit the site to be part of this although I'm not sure it would meet their criteria for site indexing.

The general function of a bang is to go to DuckDuckGo.com and place a exclamation (!) in the text box which would bring up a number of search options. From there you would do something like !woopig nba thread and bob's your uncle.

A search engine solution would definitely be superior, but as I understand it, we’d have to make all the boards visible without registration, which is not a good idea for many reasons.

You're only young once, but you can be immature until you croak.