Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Players earning from their likeness (the NIL thread)  (Read 48746 times)

Offline Law_Hawg

• Have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?
  • Emperor of Woopig
Re: Players earning from their likeness
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2021, 08:51:03 AM »
I never thought tobacco litigation would be a big deal either.  Everyone makes mistakes.

Ohhhh, missed out there . . .

I see that you have made three spelling mistakes.   -Thomas de Mahy, Marquis de Favras, upon reading his death warrant.

Offline DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2021, 08:56:09 AM »
have you read or even googled title ix? it is a federal civil rights law. it guarantees the OPORTUNITY for women are the same as men. there are zero provisions in it that address compensation. it is not an anti trust measure. the us women's soccer team is a non sequitur because they are a professional league that has nothing to do with title ix.

as already mentioned, the subject of athletes being compensated for their likeness is not connected to the schools (indeed use of uniforms, mention of the university, etc. is not allowed) or the ncaa. it is a private contract between individuals. when the universities themselves start paying athletes directly, then interpretations of title ix could very well come into play.

Additionally, the only thing stopping female athletes from signing their own NIL deals is a potential lack of marketability.  And plenty of them, especially the attractive ladies like our former pole vaulters, will get lucrative endorsement deals. 

The only issue I see is the ability for boosters to guarantee endorsement deals as a recruiting inducement.  At least they can do it above board now, as opposed to disguising payments as cash debit cards or church contributions. 

?s=20

Offline VegasHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2021, 09:12:41 AM »

I don't think the NCAA can unilaterally cap amounts without violating federal anti-trust law.

Unless the players have a union and a cap is negotiated through collective bargaining (like in the professional leagues). 

your right.

and the scotus is expected to rule in june on an appeal from the 9th circuit that could set a lot of change in motion.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30530625/supreme-court-agrees-hear-ncaa-athlete-compensation-case

Offline Son_of_Spam

• Weird turning pro
  • King of the Hogs
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die.
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2021, 09:17:09 AM »
So, if someone gets a commercial. They can’t mention the school, team, NCAA, ect. So what if so and so goes on TV and says, “Hi, I’m so and so.” A lot of people in the state and everyone in the country are going to say “Who?” I don’t see a lot of marketability except locally. And the pros already have the National market locked up. It probably won’t be that big of a deal. But it will open a lot of doors to give big bucks legally to a player you want badly. Will there be contracts involved?

The room looked like the site of some horrible zoological experiment involving whiskey and gorillas....

Offline VegasHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2021, 09:28:25 AM »
So, if someone gets a commercial. They can’t mention the school, team, NCAA, ect. So what if so and so goes on TV and says, “Hi, I’m so and so.” A lot of people in the state and everyone in the country are going to say “Who?” I don’t see a lot of marketability except locally. And the pros already have the National market locked up. It probably won’t be that big of a deal. But it will open a lot of doors to give big bucks legally to a player you want badly. Will there be contracts involved?

yeah, that's why this probably isn't going to be this huge windfall for 99% of athletes.

there will be contracts, and the players will be allowed to hire agents. the ncaa wants then to be 'regulated', whatever that means.

Online TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »

Correct.  A football player would have to be in those fake unis they wear advertising non-licensed products.  You gotta be a huge star to pull that off.  Not many of those in college.  Big boosters will see way more bang keeping money with the school. 

Offline SteveJ

• ElvisHog of ye olden days
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2021, 10:02:51 AM »
Correct.  A football player would have to be in those fake unis they wear advertising non-licensed products.  You gotta be a huge star to pull that off.  Not many of those in college.  Big boosters will see way more bang keeping money with the school.

That's an excellent point that I hadn't thought about. Just because the player can make money being in a commercial, he/she can't represent the Razorbacks without giving some of the money to the University for the usage of their brands and trademarks.

Offline Law_Hawg

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2021, 10:02:59 AM »

Lots of money to be made from local advertisers, though, especially in a state like Arkansas without a professional sports franchise and where prominent Razorback football and basketball players become big media stars. 

I see that you have made three spelling mistakes.   -Thomas de Mahy, Marquis de Favras, upon reading his death warrant.

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2021, 10:11:55 AM »
Big stars(projected pro stars) will screw this up. Agents and other assorted slime balls will be trying to lock up these types as early as possible.

The answer to every question about the seeming stupidity of every government decision from Covid to the coming war is simple. The elites want you dead..

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2021, 12:14:32 PM »
You might not have seen this.  College football is coming back.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30820886/everything-need-know-return-ea-sports-college-football-video-game

And every single person on the default in-game roster should make a little money from it.

If every single person on the default in-game roster makes money from it then I don't want to have to edit a single roster.  It better come ready to play with names and accurate ratings.

Riding in seat #1 on the Muss Bus.

Offline SteveJ

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »
If every single person on the default in-game roster makes money from it then I don't want to have to edit a single roster.  It better come ready to play with names and accurate ratings.

I would think that would be the case. I mean, the only thing missing in previous versions was their name. Everything else was them.

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2021, 12:25:24 PM »
I would think that would be the case. I mean, the only thing missing in previous versions was their name. Everything else was them.

Not to turn this into an EA Sport Football thread there will be players on college teams that don't make it into the game on release but buyers will want to add.  Will be interesting to see how that is handled if players are paid for their likeness.

Offline SteveJ

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2021, 12:53:56 PM »
Not to turn this into an EA Sport Football thread there will be players on college teams that don't make it into the game on release but buyers will want to add.  Will be interesting to see how that is handled if players are paid for their likeness.

I would think it only applies to the game that ships. Not user generated content. Unless you want to send someone a check because you put them in your game.

My Paypal is stjaxn.com if you want to add me to your game. Five bucks will cover it.

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2021, 01:03:14 PM »
I would think it only applies to the game that ships. Not user generated content. Unless you want to send someone a check because you put them in your game.

My Paypal is stjaxn.com if you want to add me to your game. Five bucks will cover it.

If that is the case then why would EA put anyone in the game.  Just ship it generic and let the buyer create the content.   

I don't disagree with you though that players should make money for their likeness and EA should make everyone's day by doing so.  The mechanics are an interesting problem to solve.

Offline SteveJ

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2021, 01:24:06 PM »
If that is the case then why would EA put anyone in the game.  Just ship it generic and let the buyer create the content.   

I don't disagree with you though that players should make money for their likeness and EA should make everyone's day by doing so.  The mechanics are an interesting problem to solve.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/02/02/ncaa-football-ea-sports-stopped-making-games

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+did+ea+stop+making+ncaa+football&oq=why+did+ea+stop+ma&aqs=chrome.0.0l2j69i57j0l7.4360j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2021, 01:36:58 PM »
https://www.si.com/college/2021/02/02/ncaa-football-ea-sports-stopped-making-games

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+did+ea+stop+making+ncaa+football&oq=why+did+ea+stop+ma&aqs=chrome.0.0l2j69i57j0l7.4360j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Sorry if I'm missing what you are trying to point out.  EA stopped making games because the NCAA pulled out because they didn't want players being paid.  You just said that anything user generated wouldn't apply.  If it is that simple then why not make all "players" generic to the point that everything has to be user generated?  Problem solved right?  I'm really not trying to argue just to argue.  I'm missing your point...obviously.

Offline Pimplizzy

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2021, 01:46:04 PM »
Assuming the paying players legislation passes, realistically, how many players per average Power5 school will be able to make much money from this?

If this was a law in 2000, what Hogs would have made decent money since then?

Football
  • McFadden
  • Jones
  • Hillis
  • Tyler Wilson
  • Matt Jones
  • Monk

Basketball
  • Gafford
  • Joe Johnson
  • Portis
  • Brewer

I don't think there are many, if any, from the other sports.  Maybe a couple from baseball. I'm sure I've missed some as these names were just off the top of my head, but I think the players think this is a huge power play and, when it passes, they will be disappointed in what they receive.

Brandon Allen.  For car insurance companies.

Offline jdcatty

• Boar
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2021, 01:47:11 PM »

Ohhhh, missed out there . . .

Worked on it for 3 years on the defense side. 

Damn Bobby Petrino!!!  What the Hell was he thinking?

Offline Law_Hawg

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2021, 02:01:34 PM »
Worked on it for 3 years on the defense side.

Ohhh, billable hours with a deep-pocketed client.

Nice.

Offline uagrad2007

• Tush Hog
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2021, 02:13:03 PM »
That's an excellent point that I hadn't thought about. Just because the player can make money being in a commercial, he/she can't represent the Razorbacks without giving some of the money to the University for the usage of their brands and trademarks.

Anyone know how much a company would have to pay the university to have a player wear their uniform in a commercial or ad?  I'm guessing there will be advertisers that are willing to pay the player and the university in order for the player to wear a real uniform.  That will just drive up the cost some, but I don't think most advertisers will care...assuming it's not a crazy amount of extra $$$. 

Offline jdcatty

• Boar
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2021, 02:16:51 PM »

Ohhh, billable hours with a deep-pocketed client.

Nice.

and unlimited expense account

Offline Law_Hawg

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2021, 02:18:19 PM »
and unlimited expense account

I hear through the grapevine that the insurance companies are tightening down on these kinda things for defense counsel these days. 

Offline jdcatty

• Boar
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2021, 02:19:51 PM »

I hear through the grapevine that the insurance companies are tightening down on these kinda things for defense counsel these days.

unfortunately that has been true for 20 years now

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2021, 02:32:09 PM »
OK, let them make money but pay for their own school. See how long this shit lasts.

There are lots of rules about scholarships and what you can and cant do. You cant have an ROTC scholarship and be in the National Guard. You cant have an academic scholarship and be on the football team.

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

"Grant couldn't practice, we put a green shirt on him, he kept trying to put the red on but 'no no no, we're not gunna touch you' Then he goes out and has that game. He's out there holding his elbow and goes and picks off a pass to win. He is Arkansas." - Pittman

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2021, 02:34:15 PM »

Lots of money to be made from local advertisers, though, especially in a state like Arkansas without a professional sports franchise and where prominent Razorback football and basketball players become big media stars.

Disagree. The amount of money is finite. If they divert dollars from the school, the coach, etc to go to the player, someone is gonna be left out. There isnt additional dollars just sitting around that these guys cant figure out where to spend.

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

"Grant couldn't practice, we put a green shirt on him, he kept trying to put the red on but 'no no no, we're not gunna touch you' Then he goes out and has that game. He's out there holding his elbow and goes and picks off a pass to win. He is Arkansas." - Pittman