Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Players earning from their likeness (the NIL thread)  (Read 48009 times)

Online TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
Re: Players earning from their likeness (the NIL thread)
« Reply #750 on: May 05, 2022, 08:54:59 PM »
You don’t run loss leaders on unproven traffic drivers.  Big NIL on a freshman is not business; it’s paying big money on a mystery box in a Johnson Smith ad. 

The portal has already shown the power of coaches to recruit proven players and dump underperforming bad recruits.  I think big schools will continue to shift scholarships from freshmen to portal transfers.

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• Surgeon General of Woopig
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #751 on: May 09, 2022, 06:50:13 PM »
NCAA made an announcement today that sure sounds like it's trying to change the rules on NIL midstream, identifying a lot of the organizations as "boosters" and not allowing them to participate.

A lot of kids were already promised things, and it sounds like a lot of lawyers are about to get rich.

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #752 on: May 09, 2022, 07:01:02 PM »
NCAA made an announcement today that sure sounds like it's trying to change the rules on NIL midstream, identifying a lot of the organizations as "boosters" and not allowing them to participate.

A lot of kids were already promised things, and it sounds like a lot of lawyers are about to get rich.

Nah,  They're not going to punish the kid or the booster.  They are going to punish the school.  There will be nothing keeping the booster from paying the kid the promised NIL money.  It’s just that his school is going to be penalized.

Online VegasHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #753 on: May 09, 2022, 07:42:52 PM »
sounds like a lot of lawyers are about to get rich.

that's exactly what will happen.  these are guidelines, not rules.

if it's taken years for the the ncaa to decide on cases that were giftwrapped by the fbi, you can imagine how long this will take to get sorted out.    plus the ncaa is about to bail on the whole thing and dump it in the laps of the p5 commissioners.  that's why sankey and the others are wanting congress to get involved.  they saw the ncaa fight it for years and spend who knows how much money only to get their asses handed to them by scotus.

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• Surgeon General of Woopig
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #754 on: May 09, 2022, 08:10:14 PM »
Nah,  They're not going to punish the kid or the booster.  They are going to punish the school.  There will be nothing keeping the booster from paying the kid the promised NIL money.  It’s just that his school is going to be penalized.

That sure is how it looks. 

I like the place our athletic department is in right now.  I don't want them to get screwed because the rules changed or worse, are ambiguous.

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #755 on: May 09, 2022, 08:18:39 PM »
That sure is how it looks. 

I like the place our athletic department is in right now.  I don't want them to get screwed because the rules changed or worse, are ambiguous.

They really haven’t changed.  It’s always been impermissible for a booster to get directly involved in recruiting.  It’s just that everyone thought that would be unenforceable with NIL and got cocky about it and started bragging and openly offering recruits. 

Online VegasHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #756 on: May 09, 2022, 08:32:58 PM »
They really haven’t changed.  It’s always been impermissible for a booster to get directly involved in recruiting.  It’s just that everyone thought that would be unenforceable with NIL and got cocky about it and started bragging and openly offering recruits. 
it's been impermissible until the alston case came along.

one of the interpretations of that ruling is that schools cannot limit trade between two parties that are not employees of that school.  if this proposal gets into the courts and ends back up in front of this same scotus, i personally don't see any way that the ruling won't be the same.

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #757 on: May 09, 2022, 08:37:30 PM »
it's been impermissible until the alston case came along.

one of the interpretations of that ruling is that schools cannot limit trade between two parties that are not employees of that school.  if this proposal gets into the courts and ends back up in front of this same scotus, i personally don't see any way that the ruling won't be the same.

They aren’t limiting it, they are punishing the school.

Oh, and the ruling on educational benefits basically held that athletes ARE employees of the school and that schools can’t collude to hold down wages of employees.

Online VegasHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #758 on: May 09, 2022, 08:52:03 PM »
what school has been punished?  and at what school are students now employees?

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #759 on: May 09, 2022, 08:58:53 PM »
what school has been punished?  and at what school are students now employees?

They punishment awaits.  One of the recent decisions within the last year or two basically described athletes as employees.

Online VegasHog

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #760 on: May 09, 2022, 09:14:42 PM »
They punishment awaits.  One of the recent decisions within the last year or two basically described athletes as employees.
we will see.  these guidelines, if actually made into rules, will go straight to court.  who knows when and how this all ends up.

Online TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #761 on: May 09, 2022, 11:43:00 PM »
The P5 commissioners are spineless pussies wanting to go to Congress and invite government into the equation.   The big schools need to pull out of the NCAA and make their own rules. 

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #762 on: May 10, 2022, 03:07:10 AM »
The P5 commissioners are spineless pussies wanting to go to Congress and invite government into the equation.   The big schools need to pull out of the NCAA and make their own rules.

Government is already in.  The courts blew up the NCAA.   Congress are the only ones who can fix it.

Online TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
Players earning from their likeness (the NIL thread)
« Reply #763 on: May 10, 2022, 05:14:22 AM »
Government is already in.  The courts blew up the NCAA.   Congress are the only ones who can fix it.
Fix what?  Scotus reestablished the power of adults to earn a living from their talents freeing them from an onerous monopolistic enterprise enriching themselves from their labor. 

A crazy market resulting where rich boosters can buy them a player or two is not the domain of government.  So fucking what. The market will adjust itself as idiots figure out giving big money to freshmen is a very stupid endeavor.  Congress will simply demand quotas for LGBTQIXYZ and trans and species players and enforce social distancing and a variety of other bullshit that will fuck things up. 

They are pussies hoping that Congress puts them back in charge of the money wagon.  They can eat a bag of dicks.  We are a have with nothing to fear. Let’s see where it goes.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 05:15:55 AM by TexZilla »

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #764 on: May 10, 2022, 07:33:38 AM »
I disagree but we’re going to find out.

Online Law_Hawg

• Have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #765 on: May 10, 2022, 01:33:26 PM »
and it sounds like a lot of lawyers are about to get rich.

Good.  Where do I sign up?

I see that you have made three spelling mistakes.   -Thomas de Mahy, Marquis de Favras, upon reading his death warrant.

Offline HOGGLY WOGGLY

• King of the Hogs
  • LET'S GO BRANDON!
That used to be the thing to do at Monkey Island at the Memphis Zoo, watch the monkeys beat off.

Online jdcatty

• Boar
Damn Bobby Petrino!!!  What the Hell was he thinking?

Online BASS

• the philosophical woopigga
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #768 on: June 21, 2022, 10:20:11 AM »
That's a good idea I think. Help spread the love...er money around to the guys that aren't super stars.

fuck your feelings

Online Boared Cynic

• Should RMPL
  • Boar
« Reply #769 on: June 21, 2022, 10:22:38 AM »
Surely in the fanbase we have enough jock strap sniffers with some decently deep pockets

Online Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #770 on: June 21, 2022, 10:26:18 AM »
It was just a matter of time for something like this. I bet the number of members doesn't stay limited for very long.

The answer to every question about the seeming stupidity of every government decision from Covid to the coming war is simple. The elites want you dead..

Online jdcatty

• Boar
« Reply #771 on: June 21, 2022, 10:29:19 AM »
The website says the price is "TBA"-- I suppose to be announced.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with for a price.  Do they want a 500 members at $1,000 apiece?  Or 5,000 members at $100 apiece?

Online Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #772 on: June 21, 2022, 11:23:29 AM »
The website says the price is "TBA"-- I suppose to be announced.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with for a price.  Do they want a 500 members at $1,000 apiece?  Or 5,000 members at $100 apiece?
5000 members and $1000

The answer to every question about the seeming stupidity of every government decision from Covid to the coming war is simple. The elites want you dead..

Online jdcatty

• Boar
« Reply #773 on: June 21, 2022, 10:14:13 PM »
5000 members and $1000

I am sure they would think that would be optimal.  Be interesting to see what happens.  And, will it have any effect on Foundation Contributions?

Online jdcatty

• Boar
« Reply #774 on: August 02, 2022, 09:38:34 AM »
So I just saw this:

https://twitter.com/BuzzJohnNabors/status/1554473030436503553?s=20&t=rhl2mprdXtFbOr1p8MbhpA

Drew Sanders is apparently going to be paid by this insurance agency to appear on Nabors' program on 103.7 every Monday.  Really curious to know what kind of money he's getting for something like that.