Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Vinyl Car Wrap  (Read 411 times)

Online Too Big Pig

• King of the Hogs
Vinyl Car Wrap
« on: May 14, 2021, 05:26:20 PM »
Anybody have any experience with having a car wrapped? Somebody did some minor paint damage ($1600 estimate from the body shop) in the high school parking lot to my daughter’s car.

His family wraps cars and has offered to wrap the vehicle to avoid turning over to insurance since they could only be out material and eat the labor.

My daughter would love the fun of a color change, but what kind of longevity am I looking at with this?

"If life gives you lemons, fuck life."  - Sir John Michael of Oklahoma

Online Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
Re: Vinyl Car Wrap
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 05:59:01 PM »
Might look good for a year or so but my guess is it would eventually bubble up and look like shit assuming we are talking about covering up some heavy scratches. Might even end up causing some rusting issues.

Also have to take under consideration the long term resale value of the car. What your daughter likes might not jive with the next owner who doesn't see the value in the wrap.

I

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 08:19:25 AM »
Let me know what happens here. My 99 4Runner runs like a top but paint and trim is bad.  Thinking of a wrap.

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
Vinyl Car Wrap
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 11:41:05 PM »
Paint it. Yes it will cost more to have it wrapped but that doesn’t mean it’s going to last long. They have to take a lot of stuff off a car to do it or it doesn’t look good.

If it’s in a garage it will last longer but sun, rain, snow, and pollen can make areas peel.

If it’s a busy graphic design it will look better when areas peel up.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 06:20:38 AM »
Is there a headliner option?

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline CrocodileHunter

• Chairman Emeritus of the 102 Crew
  • Tush Hog
  • ^^^ El Capitan
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 07:20:47 AM »
Anybody have any experience with having a car wrapped? Somebody did some minor paint damage ($1600 estimate from the body shop) in the high school parking lot to my daughter’s car.

His family wraps cars and has offered to wrap the vehicle to avoid turning over to insurance since they could only be out material and eat the labor.

My daughter would love the fun of a color change, but what kind of longevity am I looking at with this?
If they don’t want to deal with an insurance claim then they can pay out of pocket. Wrapping instead of repairing sounds like a terrible idea.