Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Laptop Repair Question  (Read 754 times)

Online DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • King of the Hogs
Laptop Repair Question
« on: June 03, 2021, 03:03:32 PM »
My son's laptop, which just went out of warranty, has a bad charging port. 

We took it to Complete Computing in LR, who told us they couldn't repair it because it was soldered into the motherboard, and that it might damage other components if they melted the solder to remove it. 

Basically we have about a $1200 paperweight that is a little over a year old, unless we can find someone who is willing or able to replace this port.  I know less than zero about these kinds of repairs.  My kid insists it can be done. 

Any suggestions?

?s=20

Offline bar_hog

• Tush Hog
Re: Laptop Repair Question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 04:15:42 PM »
Its probably going to take a new motherboard

Online Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 04:29:42 PM »
It can certainly be done but may take someone pretty skilled if there are a lot of sensitive components around that port. You don't want to over heat the wrong area and a lot of time has to have special heat resistant tape (Kapton tape) so you don't lift solder pads holding various do-hickies. Pros make that look real easy...the problem is there aren't many pros out there anymore. Your basic computer shop isn't going to mess with that stuff. I know a guy that can do it but I'm pretty sure he doesn't fuck with computers anymore. I think he only does is ATMs and PoS devices now.

May also take solder pumps and other specialized gear to do a proper repair but on something like that it may just be as simple as heating up the joint and calling it done. Most laptops are a nightmare to take apart and get back together so there's that...but a lot of times there will be disassembly videos on youtube you can watch for your specific model.

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Online DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 04:41:29 PM »
Its probably going to take a new motherboard

That’s what I was afraid of.  CC quoted $999 for it.  I’m not putting that into a repair on a $1200 machine. 

The damn thing is literally nine days out of warranty.  Nine. Fucking.  Days. 

?s=20

Offline hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 08:27:07 PM »
I might know a guy in Delaware, but don't get high and forget to pick it up though.

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Offline pinkphiloyd

• will eat your babies, bitch.
  • Boar
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 10:15:36 AM »
Whats the make and model?

And strictly in the interest of covering all the bases, are you 100% sure the problem is in the laptop itself and not in the charger?

Online DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 04:19:26 PM »
Whats the make and model?

And strictly in the interest of covering all the bases, are you 100% sure the problem is in the laptop itself and not in the charger?

It's a Lenovo Legion.  I'll have to double check the model. 

It is the port.  I've had it checked out.  Port is broken.  Plus, we've tried two chargers. 

?s=20

Offline razorwire

• King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 09:37:18 AM »

It is the port.  I've had it checked out.  Port is broken.  Plus, we've tried two chargers.
Chinese made?  If you have the room, try to put a neat sink around the areas adjacent to where you will need to solder.  Probably won't work; but, hey.

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 12:16:07 PM »

Where did you buy it?  If its a reputable dealer they might be able to help you in  number of ways.  While warranties have a limit to them, often a manufacturer will be persuaded by a dealer to make a repair or swap.  Companies these days especially dont want to get flamed in social media and be portrayed as  fucking the academic dreams of a poor student in Arkansas championing the rights of the disadvantaged and victims of priviledge.

The store should be able to help you.  they dont want to be seen selling junk that dies a week out of warranty.  Go to their customer care after that.  Then to Lenovo and hammer their ass.

Online DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 12:23:01 PM »
Where did you buy it?  If its a reputable dealer they might be able to help you in  number of ways.  While warranties have a limit to them, often a manufacturer will be persuaded by a dealer to make a repair or swap.  Companies these days especially dont want to get flamed in social media and be portrayed as  fucking the academic dreams of a poor student in Arkansas championing the rights of the disadvantaged and victims of priviledge.

The store should be able to help you.  they dont want to be seen selling junk that dies a week out of warranty.  Go to their customer care after that.  Then to Lenovo and hammer their ass.

Lenovo has basically already told us "tough shit." 

Bought it through B & H Photo Video in New York.  Haven't tried to go through them yet, but figured it would be pointless.

At least I saved the sales tax on the out of state sale.  :suicide:

?s=20

Offline razorwire

• King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net 3.0
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 11:58:27 AM »
heat sink....

Online Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 05:15:24 PM »

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Offline HogHazard

• Boar
  • "My work speaks for itself"
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 09:10:00 PM »
https://powerjackrepair.org/

Based out of IL it seems.

$100.00 flat rate.

Never used him, but the reviews seem pretty good and he has a youtube channel showing his work.

Pull the hard drive before shipping and give it a try.

Here is a video of him repairing a Lenovo Legion:

^probably want to think twice about it...

Online DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 08:01:40 AM »
https://powerjackrepair.org/

Based out of IL it seems.

$100.00 flat rate.

Never used him, but the reviews seem pretty good and he has a youtube channel showing his work.

Pull the hard drive before shipping and give it a try.

Here is a video of him repairing a Lenovo Legion:

Thanks.  This looks like it could work.

?s=20