Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Dealership wants my car back  (Read 631 times)

Offline Hogworth Ballington III

• A Shoat
Dealership wants my car back
« on: June 27, 2021, 02:13:36 PM »
So we were in the market for a bigger car when our latest addition was on his way back in 2019 and we fell in love with kia's Telluride. We got the top of the line, blinged out model and haven't regretted our decision since (although I think the sound system was better on our last car).

Now the dealership has called me 5 or 6 times in the last week trying to get us to come down there for an appraisal and offer to buy back our car because it's in high demand and kia just isn't rolling them off the line fast enough (they're actually keeping supply down to keep demand high). Looking at KB, the car should be worth about 46k right now. We have about 35k left on it. For those that have done the carmax thing or dealership buybacks before, what should we consider a "good" offer and not them just pissing down our leg and calling it rain?

I hate dealing with car salesmen. Even when I think I'm getting a good deal, they leave me feeling like they're laughing their asses off as soon as I walk out the door.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 02:15:08 PM by Hogworth Ballington III »

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • Emperor of Woopig
Re: Dealership wants my car back
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 02:57:42 PM »
I hate dealing with car salesmen. Even when I think I'm getting a good deal, they leave me feeling like they're laughing their asses off as soon as I walk out the door.

That has nothing to do with the transaction.

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

"Grant couldn't practice, we put a green shirt on him, he kept trying to put the red on but 'no no no, we're not gunna touch you' Then he goes out and has that game. He's out there holding his elbow and goes and picks off a pass to win. He is Arkansas." - Pittman

Offline Won Nutt Hung Lo

• Tush Hog
  • Need an apartment?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 04:20:58 PM »
So we were in the market for a bigger car when our latest addition was on his way back in 2019 and we fell in love with kia's Telluride. We got the top of the line, blinged out model and haven't regretted our decision since (although I think the sound system was better on our last car).

Now the dealership has called me 5 or 6 times in the last week trying to get us to come down there for an appraisal and offer to buy back our car because it's in high demand and kia just isn't rolling them off the line fast enough (they're actually keeping supply down to keep demand high). Looking at KB, the car should be worth about 46k right now. We have about 35k left on it. For those that have done the carmax thing or dealership buybacks before, what should we consider a "good" offer and not them just pissing down our leg and calling it rain?

How will you replace your current vehicle?

• A Shoat
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 05:10:03 PM »
That has nothing to do with the transaction.

I knew it!

How will you replace your current vehicle?

We have a smaller second car. With the kids out of school for the summer, we actually don't need the bigger car. We can wait a couple plants till we have to replace it. Give us a chance to save up for a nice down payment in the fall. Maybe go electric. Because gas is getting stupid

• A Shoat
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 08:28:11 PM »
I knew it!

We have a smaller second car. With the kids out of school for the summer, we actually don't need the bigger car. We can wait a couple months till we have to replace it. Give us a chance to save up for a nice down payment in the fall. Maybe go electric. Because gas is getting stupid

No idea how "plants" got in there or why it wouldn't let me edit. This is why I hate posting on my phone. Little keys and stubby thumbs don't exactly go well together.

Offline chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • King of the Hogs
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 06:21:26 AM »
Kia isn't keeping the supply down. They are just like everybody else, short on chips. Kia lots are empty across the board for all models. Hyundai is the worse. Toyota, ditto. The value of my 2017 f150 lariat has gone up 7k. Serioisly KBB trade in has gone from 34k to 41k from Dec 2019 with an added 17k miles on it. We spent Sat looking around the lots for the Kia Souls, Nissan Kicks, Toyota C-HR, ect, ect ect for our son that is a senior and about to turn 18 in Oct. Slim fucking pickings. This same time last year you had all the rental cars that had been dumped and the market was flooded with Tucson, Rogues, Tavis. The pickings are slim.  Toyota is actually going to offer a Corolla Cross this fall. Again, supply will be short due to chip supply.

Interestingly enough, no hybrid so the wife will still be looking at the RAV4s,  new Venezia, Honda CRVs for her next ride. We will be waiting for market equilibrium

“I would rather be governed by the first two thousand people in the Boston telephone directory than by the two thousand people on the faculty of Harvard University.”
— William Buckley on “Meet the Press”, 17 October 1965.

• A Shoat
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 07:11:04 AM »
Kia isn't keeping the supply down. They are just like everybody else, short on chips. Kia lots are empty across the board for all models. Hyundai is the worse. Toyota, ditto. The value of my 2017 f150 lariat has gone up 7k. Serioisly KBB trade in has gone from 34k to 41k from Dec 2019 with an added 17k miles on it. We spent Sat looking around the lots for the Kia Souls, Nissan Kicks, Toyota C-HR, ect, ect ect for our son that is a senior and about to turn 18 in Oct. Slim fucking pickings. This same time last year you had all the rental cars that had been dumped and the market was flooded with Tucson, Rogues, Tavis. The pickings are slim.  Toyota is actually going to offer a Corolla Cross this fall. Again, supply will be short due to chip supply.

Interestingly enough, no hybrid so the wife will still be looking at the RAV4s,  new Venezia, Honda CRVs for her next ride. We will be waiting for market equilibrium

That definitely compounded the issue. When the Telluride came out I remember reading about how they were only making so many, with the hope that decreased stock would help put the car near the level of a range rover or the like. This also helped many dealerships charge as high as 10k in markup because you couldn't keep the few they had on the lot and people were actually paying it because there weren't many other options out there. Problem is they didn't see the chip shortage coming and now their previously low numbers (we literally bought ours 20 min off the truck and they only had 1 other on the lot back in fall of 2019) are now biting them in the ass.

I'm just wanting a little knowledge before I go in so my wallet doesn't get raped while they're telling me that it's a "really good deal". They're the ones hurting for metal to sling. I'm helping them out.

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Boar Bidet or Board Witch
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 09:02:44 AM »
That definitely compounded the issue. When the Telluride came out I remember reading about how they were only making so many, with the hope that decreased stock would help put the car near the level of a range rover or the like. This also helped many dealerships charge as high as 10k in markup because you couldn't keep the few they had on the lot and people were actually paying it because there weren't many other options out there. Problem is they didn't see the chip shortage coming and now their previously low numbers (we literally bought ours 20 min off the truck and they only had 1 other on the lot back in fall of 2019) are now biting them in the ass.

I'm just wanting a little knowledge before I go in so my wallet doesn't get raped while they're telling me that it's a "really good deal". They're the ones hurting for metal to sling. I'm helping them out.
go look on autotrader what they’re going for and do your research. I got a brand new vehicle in April and I went for a different vehicle with more incentives than my first choice and after reading the Volvo boards and other places I know I got a decent deal in my vehicle despite the shortage. I’m glad I bought in April because now I looked and the same two dealerships I went between have almost no inventory now compared to earlier in the year. Everything is not on the lot and must be ordered now apparently

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Online TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 05:24:12 PM »
Why are you selling wholesale to a dealer when you can sell retail yourself and make an extra $5k?  The dealer needs your car so they can service it, finance it, etc to keep their money train going. 

• A Shoat
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 09:10:56 PM »
Why are you selling wholesale to a dealer when you can sell retail yourself and make an extra $5k?  The dealer needs your car so they can service it, finance it, etc to keep their money train going.

Because they offered me more than I could get myself. I looked around on autotrader, carvanna, carmax, jd power, etc and the highest I found was 44. Ended up selling it at a local Nissan dealership for 46. 2k over sticker price (though we ended up financing 48k after all the add on and mark ups). So basically we got to drive it around for almost two years for almost 2 grand. Loved the car, but I thank we made out pretty good.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • Stand back, Burrito!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 09:24:06 PM »
Because they offered me more than I could get myself. I looked around on autotrader, carvanna, carmax, jd power, etc and the highest I found was 44. Ended up selling it at a local Nissan dealership for 46. 2k over sticker price (though we ended up financing 48k after all the add on and mark ups). So basically we got to drive it around for almost two years for almost 2 grand. Loved the car, but I thank we made out pretty good.

Sounds like a good move if you don't need to replace it in the next several years

No fucks were wasted in the preceding message.