Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Texas, OU to the SEC! (Done deal.)  (Read 26888 times)

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
Re: Texas, OU to the SEC! (Done deal.)
« Reply #525 on: August 01, 2021, 07:04:00 AM »
I’m sorry. Where did I say I wanted that or that it would happen??!! Reread my post.
Why even speculate something like that?  It would be disastrous.  It would create a rip in the time and space continuum and we’d be sucked into the sun.  Bad mojo can come from typing shit like that.

Offline Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #526 on: August 01, 2021, 07:40:47 AM »
It wasn't that Arkansas was in the wrong conference all this time...it's that some of the schools left behind over stayed in the wrong conference. It's always been a good natural fit to have OU, Texas, Ark, and A&M together. Maybe throw in Missouri now for no apparent reason other than they are here. Likewise it just feels natural to play LSU, Auburn, Bama, and the Mississippi's.

RE: Baylor

From what I understand Baylor has built some really nice facilities over the last few years. Maybe they fall back to be a solid G5 program, but I bet they'll be a highly ranked program before we are again. A so called P5 or P4 will not rush to sign up Baylor and I do agree OK STATE deserves a power conference ahead of them or Tech. I think the obvious winner here will be the AAC in one form or another. I don't think we will see the ACC jump geography for the dregs of the Big 12. They may take West Virginia and try to land Notre Dame full time since they already have built a relationship with them. That's what makes some amount of sense.   

If the BIG 12 has any juice at all left maybe they take/merge some of the AAC (Cincy, Houston, Memphis, Central Florida, South Florida, SMU, Temple)...just tossing some names in there to make it a 14 team league. So it would have some name recognition but essentially be a very charmin soft P5.

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #527 on: August 01, 2021, 08:29:57 AM »
It wasn't that Arkansas was in the wrong conference all this time...it's that some of the schools left behind over stayed in the wrong conference. It's always been a good natural fit to have OU, Texas, Ark, and A&M together. Maybe throw in Missouri now for no apparent reason other than they are here. Likewise it just feels natural to play LSU, Auburn, Bama, and the Mississippi's.

RE: Baylor

From what I understand Baylor has built some really nice facilities over the last few years. Maybe they fall back to be a solid G5 program, but I bet they'll be a highly ranked program before we are again. A so called P5 or P4 will not rush to sign up Baylor and I do agree OK STATE deserves a power conference ahead of them or Tech. I think the obvious winner here will be the AAC in one form or another. I don't think we will see the ACC jump geography for the dregs of the Big 12. They may take West Virginia and try to land Notre Dame full time since they already have built a relationship with them. That's what makes some amount of sense.   

If the BIG 12 has any juice at all left maybe they take/merge some of the AAC (Cincy, Houston, Memphis, Central Florida, South Florida, SMU, Temple)...just tossing some names in there to make it a 14 team league. So it would have some name recognition but essentially be a very charmin soft P5.
Baylor has a big issue for other conferences to accept. They have a huge interest in making the Big 12 sustainable. 

The other conferences may let the dust settle a bit before any moves are made.  Adding members first adds dilution before any revenue; adding a Kansas or a West Virginia doesn’t do shit for the bank account. 

Offline VegasHog

• Boar
« Reply #528 on: August 01, 2021, 09:05:54 AM »
and that's what it will come down to, as the other conferences aren't going to add mouths to feed for the sake of expansion.  the formula is simple; does the new team(s) add to the revenue if they join.  the reason rice, smu, houston, and tcu didn't make it to the b12 when the swc went belly up is the reason the remaining (most if not all) teams left in that conference won't make it to another power league, no added value.  it is all about the money.

for the 2018-19 season, ou averaged about 3.21 million viewers per game.  texas about 3.1.  the rest of the b12 combined about 899,000.  adding aac teams who's viewership is even smaller, will not result in fox or espn handing out a big tv deal.

viewer stats from an article on the athletic from a few days ago. behind a paywall obviously.   https://theathletic.com/2731657/2021/07/27/mandel-big-12s-tv-numbers-explain-divide-between-texas-oklahoma-and-the-rest-and-why-remaining-8-should-worry/

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:15:52 AM by VegasHog »

Offline Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #529 on: August 01, 2021, 09:22:30 AM »
Kick Vandy out and bring in Ok St. Vandy (as a school) is the big winner in all of this. They don't invest in facilities and their fans are content with only being competitive in baseball (where they have an edge). All while raking in SEC $$$.

<--- I'm with him

Offline VegasHog

• Boar
« Reply #530 on: August 01, 2021, 09:29:53 AM »
won't happen. the sec has never asked a school to leave, much less a charter member.

personally,  fuck okie st., their demise only help arkansas. even switzer said so.

Offline Animal

• Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #531 on: August 01, 2021, 09:39:00 AM »
Yeah that's where Kansas and K-State are in a decent tv market but nobody watches college sports in Kansas City. Nascar, NFL, and maybe MLB probably do really well up there.

But hey CBS-Sports Network (Not flag ship CBS) would give their left nut for 900k+ viewers but CBS won't fork over nearly the money that is being dished out right now by Fox and ESPN to the Big 12. I doubt there are 900k people in the world that even know that network exists. Or I could be talking out of my ass.

Apparently there are others thinking the same things...

https://www.blackandgoldbanneret.com/knight-insight/2021/7/26/22594438/big-12-without-texas-oklahoma-worth-the-same-on-tv-as-the-american-ratings-viewers-media-ucf-aac

We could see a spot where Turner re-enters the college football market with a deal for the "revamped" Big 12 if that ever happens. The Autonomy angle is intriguing and may be what keeps the Big 12 floating.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:46:09 AM by Animal »

Bruce Lee

Offline Show-Me Hog

• King of the Hogs
  • Yep
« Reply #532 on: August 01, 2021, 09:41:43 AM »
Kick Vandy out and bring in Ok St. Vandy (as a school) is the big winner in all of this. They don't invest in facilities and their fans are content with only being competitive in baseball (where they have an edge). All while raking in SEC $$$.

Vanderbilt is almost as important to the SEC as Alabama. The academic trump card.

Offline mde114

• kb
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #533 on: August 01, 2021, 09:45:33 AM »
won't happen. the sec has never asked a school to leave, much less a charter member.

personally,  fuck okie st., their demise only help arkansas. even switzer said so.
This is a new day. Lots of those things that have never happened, are now happening.

I wouldn’t count on conference affiliation being set in stone.

Of course, the Harlem Globetrotters will always need the Washington Generals.

So we are a program run by fucking idiots for fucking idiots- razor5396 12/4/2018

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #534 on: August 01, 2021, 10:06:34 AM »
and that's what it will come down to, as the other conferences aren't going to add mouths to feed for the sake of expansion.  the formula is simple; does the new team(s) add to the revenue if they join.  the reason rice, smu, houston, and tcu didn't make it to the b12 when the swc went belly up is the reason the remaining (most if not all) teams left in that conference won't make it to another power league, no added value.  it is all about the money.

for the 2018-19 season, ou averaged about 3.21 million viewers per game.  texas about 3.1.  the rest of the b12 combined about 899,000.  adding aac teams who's viewership is even smaller, will not result in fox or espn handing out a big tv deal.

viewer stats from an article on the athletic from a few days ago. behind a paywall obviously.   https://theathletic.com/2731657/2021/07/27/mandel-big-12s-tv-numbers-explain-divide-between-texas-oklahoma-and-the-rest-and-why-remaining-8-should-worry/
This here.  I don’t think any of the Texas remainders bring value alone to other big conferences.  Their value is together with established rivalries, plus maybe add SMU and Houston back.  From there it gets murkier.  They are right back to 1990.

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Tush Hog
« Reply #535 on: August 01, 2021, 10:26:50 AM »
The SEC has the Texas market.  A&M and UT deliver the entire market.  The rest amount to almost nothing.  Likewise to the extent that anyone wants the Oklahoma market, OU delivers enough of that OSU adds nothing. 

These moves are not only about adding teams that could help, they are also about knee capping and destroying the competition.  That’s one reason A&M was so pissed with the addition of Texas.  They felt it was a huge advantage for them.  Their problem is that the SEC really wanted Texas all along and if forced to choose between Aggy and UT, would kick the collie fuckers out tomorrow.  But Texas and OU not only lock up the Texas and Oklahoma markets, they destroy all of the non SEC competition in those markets.

Offline Animal

• Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #536 on: August 01, 2021, 12:28:45 PM »
If Texas and OU were pulling 3 million viewers per game on average you can only imagine what they'll do in the SEC at least to start. I think they'll be new eye balls curious at least for a while. They'll probably settle in around 3.5 to 4 million viewers on average.

This all assumes the subscriber based TV industry doesn't implode entirely by the time 2025 comes around. ESPN keeps cutting away and cutting away and now they are openly assisting in torpedoing a conference on the hopes it folds before the contract is up. Anyone with a functioning nugget can see it. They wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't a major cost cutting measure.

The more I think on it...the more I'm convinced there is no telling what they'll be willing to do up to and including moving others out of the league to make room. I still believe the SEC will protect it's own when it comes right down to it.

Bruce Lee

Offline Hogeye_Pierce

• Tush Hog
  • Wink, wink, nudge, nudge
« Reply #537 on: August 01, 2021, 12:36:41 PM »
If Texas and OU were pulling 3 million viewers per game on average you can only imagine what they'll do in the SEC at least to start. I think they'll be new eye balls curious at least for a while. They'll probably settle in around 3.5 to 4 million viewers on average.

This all assumes the subscriber based TV industry doesn't implode entirely by the time 2025 comes around. ESPN keeps cutting away and cutting away and now they are openly assisting in torpedoing a conference on the hopes it folds before the contract is up. Anyone with a functioning nugget can see it. They wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't a major cost cutting measure.

The more I think on it...the more I'm convinced there is no telling what they'll be willing to do up to and including moving others out of the league to make room. I still believe the SEC will protect it's own when it comes right down to it.

Don’t be too sure about that. Where the almighty dollar is concerned anything can happen. In other words, we better watch our backs because we’ll be one of the first to go due to lack of TV eyeballs.

Offline VegasHog

• Boar
« Reply #538 on: August 01, 2021, 01:14:07 PM »
Don’t be too sure about that. Where the almighty dollar is concerned anything can happen. In other words, we better watch our backs because we’ll be one of the first to go due to lack of TV eyeballs.

arkansas has been in the top 22 of revenue producing athletic departments for like 7 or 8  years now.  covid hurt everybody. the idea that we are among the sisters of the poor and drag the conference down is faulty and shows what happens when folks see only football.

an athletic program that includes a  basketball program that is only one of three that turns a profit in the sec, and has a 44-19 record under the current coach, a perennial top 5 baseball program, women's soccer, softball, and basketball teams that finish no worse than #15, is not one the sec is looking to get rid of.

Offline Wooisme2

• A Shoat
« Reply #539 on: August 01, 2021, 01:32:56 PM »
This is a new day. Lots of those things that have never happened, are now happening.

I wouldn’t count on conference affiliation being set in stone.

Of course, the Harlem Globetrotters will always need the Washington Generals.

(On football scheduling back in the day)  "You don't think I'm going to let Vanderbilt 'get-away', do you?"  -Paul Bear Bryant

Arkansas didn't need the NCAA Death Penalty.  We had JEFF LONG.

Offline Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Has perfect aim.
« Reply #540 on: August 01, 2021, 02:22:27 PM »
(On football scheduling back in the day)  "You don't think I'm going to let Vanderbilt 'get-away', do you?"  -Paul Bear Bryant

Boy, you love to have a Vanderbilt on your schedule

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #541 on: August 01, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »
Why even speculate something like that?  It would be disastrous.  It would create a rip in the time and space continuum and we’d be sucked into the sun.  Bad mojo can come from typing shit like that.

Why do I have the ability to remove my own bias from a conversation to be able to look at it through someone else's eyes? I don't know. It's just something I can do.

"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

"Grant couldn't practice, we put a green shirt on him, he kept trying to put the red on but 'no no no, we're not gunna touch you' Then he goes out and has that game. He's out there holding his elbow and goes and picks off a pass to win. He is Arkansas." - Pittman

Offline bleedinred

• Boar
« Reply #542 on: August 01, 2021, 05:31:18 PM »
In 20 years these super conferences will break up.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

Riding in seat #1 on the Muss Bus.

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #543 on: August 01, 2021, 06:18:09 PM »
In 20 years these super conferences will break up.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

Damn, I am probably dead by then or wishing I was.  bummer

Offline Animal

• Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #544 on: August 01, 2021, 06:50:12 PM »
Something in the neighborhood of 64% of the SEC teams go to bowl games each season (I pulled that out of my ass) under the current format...now it will be a higher percentage than that going to 16 teams. I have to wonder if it's counter productive to have so many teams in a conference so much so that perhaps it is no longer an elite club house. At least we aren't the Big 10 though. They have to fall back on the academic institution moral high ground. Same thing in basketball...we will have like 9 or 10 in the NCAAT every year.

Super Leagues could certainly lead to a watered-down product in the conferences over the long haul. They may have to get creative with scheduling to really pull it off...rotating teams in and out of pods based on power rankings from previous year...something like that...harder schedules for the best teams. No they'll never do that.

Bruce Lee

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #545 on: August 02, 2021, 04:07:34 AM »
Why is it watered down?  Like the NFL folks would rather see competitive games than several directional rentawins.

I’d rather play a allsecschedule

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #546 on: August 02, 2021, 06:27:50 AM »
Why is it watered down?  Like the NFL folks would rather see competitive games than several directional rentawins.

I’d rather play a allsecschedule

It would be nice to not have one game ruin your year*

* be awhile before this happens for us

Offline helplesshog

• Piglet
  • woopig.net
« Reply #547 on: August 02, 2021, 06:37:28 AM »
The elephant in the room is two more ass whippings for our beloved Hogs.

Online Sus-Scrofa

• Boar
« Reply #548 on: August 02, 2021, 06:49:24 AM »
The elephant in the room is two more ass whippings for our beloved Hogs.

To have a big season now, the stars have to align and we have to beat Bama, Auburn, LSU, and one or two bad draws from the east.  If those stars align in a given year, I'm not too concerned about Texas and Oklahoma being added to the mix.

Offline Animal

• Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #549 on: August 02, 2021, 06:52:26 AM »
For now we can just tell ourselves that they won't make us play Texas, OU, LSU, and Bama in the same season.

Bruce Lee