Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 2022 College Football Thread  (Read 22229 times)

Offline flash23

• Tush Hog
Re: 2022 College Football Thread
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2022, 12:14:16 PM »
I’ve witnessed them in flip flops in real life. You don’t want to know.

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2022, 12:23:12 PM »

Offline Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • K.Briles darksider #2.
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2022, 07:05:10 AM »
Only the NCAA could attempt to fix the targeting rule and make it worse in the process.

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.

Online Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
  • There’s no girl exactly like her.
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2022, 12:03:20 PM »
Only the NCAA could attempt to fix the targeting rule and make it worse in the process.

Care to expound? 

Link?

“You didn’t choose me.  I chose you.”  - Sam Pittman

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• Surgeon General of Woopig
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2022, 01:00:20 PM »

Offline Show-Me Hog

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yep
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2022, 01:04:57 PM »
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33422920/ncaa-proposed-rule-changes-include-reviews-second-half-targeting-calls-players-faking-injuries

The committee also proposed a rule that would allow blocking only below the waist by linemen and stationary backs inside the tackle box.

Surely they don't mean that. Surely they actually mean: The committee also proposed a rule that would allow only linemen and stationary backs to block below the waist, while inside the tackle box.

Otherwise, linemen will have to drop to the ground every time if they cannot engage above the waist.

Offline CrocodileHunter

• Chairman Emeritus of the 102 Crew
  • Tush Hog
  • ^^^ El Capitan
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2022, 01:05:44 PM »
I hate the fake injuries and it definitely seems to work against us 90% of the time, but I don't know how you could possibly police that.
Sounds like they don’t know how to police it either.  I’m sure the conference office or school involved will be super eager to impose penalties. realstunned

“The group considered several in-game solutions, including lengthening the amount of time the injured player has to miss following the timeout, but couldn't come up with one that "fit perfectly." Instead, the proposed rule would give the school or the conference the ability to contact Shaw to facilitate a video review. Any penalties levied would be up to the conference office or school involved.”

Offline Show-Me Hog

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yep
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2022, 01:07:55 PM »
Sounds like they don’t know how to police it either.  I’m sure the conference office or school involved will be super eager to impose penalties. realstunned

“The group considered several in-game solutions, including lengthening the amount of time the injured player has to miss following the timeout, but couldn't come up with one that "fit perfectly." Instead, the proposed rule would give the school or the conference the ability to contact Shaw to facilitate a video review. Any penalties levied would be up to the conference office or school involved.”

I would love to be in those meetings, and contribute, because "once injured, a player has to sit out 5 plays or 10 minutes of real time, whichever comes first" would protect injured players.

Incidentally it would also cut down on fake injuries.

Offline DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2022, 01:22:54 PM »
I would love to be in those meetings, and contribute, because "once injured, a player has to sit out 5 plays or 10 minutes of real time, whichever comes first" would protect injured players.

Incidentally it would also cut down on fake injuries.

My suggestion is to make the player sit for the remainder of the possession, or even that possession plus one more to make the punishment count.

One of the reporters on SiriusXM College Sports the other day mentioned that the rules committee was afraid that this would encourage coaches to leave players in the game who were truly injured.  This seems like a bogus concern to me...if the player is hurt that badly he's likely going to be a liability on the field. 

?s=20

Online USAFHawg

• Tush Hog
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2022, 01:38:14 PM »
My suggestion is to make the player sit for the remainder of the possession, or even that possession plus one more to make the punishment count.

I agree. Just to add (might go without saying) - keep the part of the rule they have now that says the player can stay in the game if they use a timeout.

Offline uagrad2007

• Tush Hog
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2022, 01:44:32 PM »
The committee also proposed a rule that would allow blocking only below the waist by linemen and stationary backs inside the tackle box.

Surely they don't mean that. Surely they actually mean: The committee also proposed a rule that would allow only linemen and stationary backs to block below the waist, while inside the tackle box.

Otherwise, linemen will have to drop to the ground every time if they cannot engage above the waist.

That looks like bad wording by ESPN.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/3/4/media-center-appeals-process-proposed-for-football-players-called-for-targeting-in-second-half.aspx

A proposal to improve safety and simplify the rules governing blocking below the waist was also recommended. The proposal would only allow blocking below the waist by linemen and stationary backs inside the tackle box. Outside the tackle box on scrimmage plays, blocking below the waist would be prohibited.

Offline DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2022, 01:52:35 PM »
I agree. Just to add (might go without saying) - keep the part of the rule they have now that says the player can stay in the game if they use a timeout.

Agreed.  Just like they do with the helmet coming off...let them call a TO to keep the player in the game if needed.

?s=20

Offline Buffinator

• Thread Lazarus
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • K.Briles darksider #2.
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2022, 01:54:20 PM »
Care to expound? 

Link?

Sounds like the first infraction is an ejection.  If it happens in the first half the player is ejected for the game.  If it happens in the second half the player is ejected for the remainder of the game but the school can appeal to the NCAA to review for intent.  What I've heard explained is that the review for intent is taken away from the on-field officials. 

To my paranoid ass all I see is an easier way to fix a game and get a key defender out for an unfortunate hit.

That's embarrassing.  Looks like Josh Duggar when his parents asked him to babysit.

Offline Show-Me Hog

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yep
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2022, 02:04:50 PM »

That's been a good suggestion for a long time but I realized the possession can always end the next play (turnover, touchdown) so I thought 5 plays or 10 minutes, minimum, would best protect the injured player.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• Surgeon General of Woopig
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2022, 02:14:27 PM »
That's been a good suggestion for a long time but I realized the possession can always end the next play (turnover, touchdown) so I thought 5 plays or 10 minutes, minimum, would best protect the injured player.

While this is true, effectively they are going to "injure" their shittiest defender.  They'll just sub in a DL that's fresher for pass rush or get a nickel back off the field in shorter yardage.

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2022, 03:02:14 PM »
While this is true, effectively they are going to "injure" their shittiest defender.  They'll just sub in a DL that's fresher for pass rush or get a nickel back off the field in shorter yardage.
Make it reviewable and it would at least do away with the "dropping like you were shot" 5 seconds after the play. Put some teeth in the penalty too.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 03:05:56 PM by Lurk »
The answer to every question about the seeming stupidity of every government decision from Covid to the coming war is simple. The elites want you dead..

Offline DirkPiggler

• I'm a Bucket
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2022, 03:07:23 PM »
Make it reviewable and it would at least do away with the "dropping like you were shot" 5 seconds after the play. Put some teeth in the penalty too.

They still get the timeout that way. 

Reviewing it would work if the penalty was ejection for both the offending player and the head coach, plus either a charged timeout or 15 yards (if out of timeouts).

?s=20

Offline Lurk

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2022, 03:46:38 PM »
They still get the timeout that way. 

Reviewing it would work if the penalty was ejection for both the offending player and the head coach, plus either a charged timeout or 15 yards (if out of timeouts).
Yeah, put some teeth in it.

The answer to every question about the seeming stupidity of every government decision from Covid to the coming war is simple. The elites want you dead..

Offline Show-Me Hog

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yep
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2022, 04:51:31 PM »
The inability of the legal system to stop "slip and fall" or auto accident "soft tissue injuries" or "pain and suffering" tells me it will be very difficult for an athletic organization like the SEC or NCAA to ever tell an athlete, "you weren't really injured."

All he has to say is yes I was. My calf hurt. Cramped up.

Plus it won't be long before it will be called racist to accuse a black athlete of faking an injury.

The only way out of the box is to have all injured players sit out for a length of time. For their safety.

We're never going to get ANYWHERE trying to determine what is "fake."

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2022, 06:23:07 PM »

Make it reviewable after the game and fine the head coach $50k per instance where someone drops like a shot.

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
  • Jump Back, Kiss Myself!
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2022, 11:17:20 PM »
Make it reviewable after the game and fine the head coach $50k per instance where someone drops like a shot.
Wish they had that rule when we had Chad Morris.  A bunch of players would have faked injuries just to cost that jackass a bunch of money... :D

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2022, 09:08:09 AM »
The inability of the legal system to stop "slip and fall" or auto accident "soft tissue injuries" or "pain and suffering" tells me it will be very difficult for an athletic organization like the SEC or NCAA to ever tell an athlete, "you weren't really injured."

All he has to say is yes I was. My calf hurt. Cramped up.

Plus it won't be long before it will be called racist to accuse a black athlete of faking an injury.

The only way out of the box is to have all injured players sit out for a length of time. For their safety.

We're never going to get ANYWHERE trying to determine what is "fake."
Here is the problem they allude to.  They will not risk player safety.  A couple players saying they would be compelled to keep playing hurt if an injury would incur any penalty is all it takes.  Stop the clock on first downs and that might slow it down.

Offline Show-Me Hog

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yep
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2022, 09:48:48 AM »
Here is the problem they allude to.  They will not risk player safety.  A couple players saying they would be compelled to keep playing hurt if an injury would incur any penalty is all it takes.  Stop the clock on first downs and that might slow it down.

Clock already stops on first down? Not sure what you mean.

There's simply no way to prove a fake injury to a certainty that would support sanctions. As you point out, the incentive will be to play through real injury, the opposite of the direction of organized football.

Even the "sniper" incidents can be explained in the context of an injury. Player, "whenever you feel like you might be injured but wanted to keep playing, we have been instructed to look over at the sidelines at Coach X. If he instructs you to stop play due to your injury, we are supposed to go to the ground. This is the proper way to get the ref's attention."

You can't prove a fake injury. The only way out of the box is player safety, which needs more plays off after an injury.

Offline uagrad2007

• Tush Hog
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2022, 10:22:09 AM »
Clock already stops on first down? Not sure what you mean.

There's simply no way to prove a fake injury to a certainty that would support sanctions. As you point out, the incentive will be to play through real injury, the opposite of the direction of organized football.

Even the "sniper" incidents can be explained in the context of an injury. Player, "whenever you feel like you might be injured but wanted to keep playing, we have been instructed to look over at the sidelines at Coach X. If he instructs you to stop play due to your injury, we are supposed to go to the ground. This is the proper way to get the ref's attention."

You can't prove a fake injury. The only way out of the box is player safety, which needs more plays off after an injury.

This is correct.  There's no real way to prove a fake injury.  Make an injured player sit out for, at least, 3-5 plays and some of the fake injury stuff will stop.