Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: PGA 2022  (Read 10738 times)

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
  • There’s no girl exactly like her.
Re: PGA 2022
« Reply #225 on: June 07, 2022, 11:58:49 AM »
Fowler above anyone else needs to do it.  His game and his endorsement value are rapidly fading.  He needs the giant pay day it will bring.  Phil probably does too because he lost all of his gambling.

He didn’t lose all his money gambling.  He acknowledged it was becoming an addiction and has undergone therapy.   

Dustin Johnson just resigned from the PGA Tour, per the Twitters.

Also noted four posts above yours. 

“You didn’t choose me.  I chose you.”  - Sam Pittman

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #226 on: June 07, 2022, 02:14:22 PM »
USGA is going to allow them to play the US Open. This is getting slippery.

Offline bogeyfree

• Wild Hog
« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2022, 02:23:03 PM »
I think the PGA Tour will eventually allow dual membership.  I could be completely wrong but more and more guys will likely take the pay day that LIV offers in my opinion.  The Tour has a problem on their hands if LIV keeps throwing around ridiculous amounts of money to these guys.

Offline TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #228 on: June 07, 2022, 03:28:28 PM »
USGA is going to allow them to play the US Open. This is getting slippery.

Its the only truly democratic golf tournament. 

Roy McAvoy. Texas

Offline SpiderHam

• Boar
  • Jump Back, Kiss Myself!
« Reply #229 on: June 07, 2022, 07:18:34 PM »
I'm glad to see the SaudiGA.  Those guys are selling out for the new hotness. 
Let the chips fall as they may as Phil Mickelson probably said...

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2022, 09:45:32 AM »
Just saw an alert that Douchambeau and Fat Reed are chasing the money.

I think the Tour was counting on guys feeling the political pressure and/or PR hit of taking the "dirty" money. 

I think they miscalculated.  My take on these moves is that the legal eagles have opined to players that they have a strong case and pert near all the leverage.

They will ultimately have no choice but to play along.

Online The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2022, 09:58:00 AM »
I mean if you are a guy chasing history trying to win a bunch of majors for a Hall of Fame career and be considered an all time great, I can see why you wouldn’t do it.  But if you are merely a really good player who might win a couple majors and some tournaments, I don’t think you can afford to pass up this huge money grab.  You’re already rich, but this would make you really really rich.  I mean at some point, if you’re not legitimately chasing history, you’re just chasing money right?  May as well grab it while you can.

Offline bogeyfree

• Wild Hog
« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2022, 10:29:16 AM »
Just saw an alert that Douchambeau and Fat Reed are chasing the money.

I think the Tour was counting on guys feeling the political pressure and/or PR hit of taking the "dirty" money. 

I think they miscalculated.  My take on these moves is that the legal eagles have opined to players that they have a strong case and pert near all the leverage.

They will ultimately have no choice but to play along.
I agree.  I wish they wouldn't but I can certainly understand why someone would jump on the opportunity to make a huge pile of cash.  The type of thing(s) that I hope don't get negatively affected are Ryder Cup, President's Cup etc.

Offline jdcatty

• Boar
« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2022, 10:41:23 AM »

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. :'(

Damn Bobby Petrino!!!  What the Hell was he thinking?

Offline hit_that_line

• Woopig Joe Biden
  • King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net
« Reply #234 on: June 08, 2022, 11:09:04 AM »
He didn’t lose all his money gambling.  He acknowledged it was becoming an addiction and has undergone therapy.   

After Michael Jordan took his wife to pound town, had to find an outlet somewhere.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #235 on: June 08, 2022, 02:21:06 PM »
I agree.  I wish they wouldn't but I can certainly understand why someone would jump on the opportunity to make a huge pile of cash.  The type of thing(s) that I hope don't get negatively affected are Ryder Cup, President's Cup etc.

Definitely want to protect the Ryder Cup.  I can still take or leave the President's Cup.

There is no way the PGA of America will let its major cash cow dry up.  They'll figure out a way to extend membership to whomever they want outside the Tour.  Hell, there are tens of thousands of members in clubs all over the country who've never sniffed the Tour.   Or they'll add a bylaw that will let non-members participate upon "special invitation."

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #236 on: June 08, 2022, 02:41:32 PM »
I wonder the exclusion language or rules are. Most events have Monday qualifying that doesn’t require membership. There are regular sponsor’s exemptions, including armatures and even some women. 

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #237 on: June 08, 2022, 07:45:36 PM »
I wonder the exclusion language or rules are. Most events have Monday qualifying that doesn’t require membership. There are regular sponsor’s exemptions, including armatures and even some women.

Sponsor exemptions would definitely get used / abused.   Hard to think guys at the level of these names would stoop to Monday qualifying.

But I just don’t see the Tour continuing to dig in a lot longer.  There might be more defecting shortly now that the USGA set a precedent that undoubtedly the R&A will follow. 

The Tour will have to rethink its position if that happens.  Enough critical mass rocking the boat will start to make title sponsors of some old line Tour events nervous.

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • Call me for excitement
« Reply #238 on: June 08, 2022, 08:25:37 PM »
Sponsor exemptions would definitely get used / abused.   Hard to think guys at the level of these names would stoop to Monday qualifying.

But I just don’t see the Tour continuing to dig in a lot longer.  There might be more defecting shortly now that the USGA set a precedent that undoubtedly the R&A will follow. 

The Tour will have to rethink its position if that happens.  Enough critical mass rocking the boat will start to make title sponsors of some old line Tour events nervous.

I can't imagine the sponsors of PGA Tour events  would provide exemptions to the LIV guys - why pay all the money necessary to be sponsor of the PGA Tour if you are going to do that?  The comparison between the USFL/XFL/etc and LIV is good but the biggest difference is the amount of money the Saudis can and are willing to spend on this.

they won't say but it would be interesting what exactly are the terms of the contracts that for the $100 Million plus some of them are getting to join the LIV tour.

Phil says he won't quit the PGA Tour

Also, I am shocked the players were not better prepared for the media questions in Paris - that was brutal and not a good look for anyone.

Arkansas: The Buyout State

Offline hit_that_line

• Woopig Joe Biden
  • King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net
« Reply #239 on: June 08, 2022, 08:37:44 PM »
Koepka.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #240 on: June 08, 2022, 10:28:57 PM »
I can't imagine the sponsors of PGA Tour events  would provide exemptions to the LIV guys - why pay all the money necessary to be sponsor of the PGA Tour if you are going to do that?  The comparison between the USFL/XFL/etc and LIV is good but the biggest difference is the amount of money the Saudis can and are willing to spend on this.

they won't say but it would be interesting what exactly are the terms of the contracts that for the $100 Million plus some of them are getting to join the LIV tour.

Phil says he won't quit the PGA Tour

Also, I am shocked the players were not better prepared for the media questions in Paris - that was brutal and not a good look for anyone.

To get a Top 10 or 20 player they would give an exemption. 

And it’s London this week. 

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #241 on: June 08, 2022, 11:04:58 PM »

I wasn’t trying to imply that all of these guys would start showing up for Monday qualifiers.  There are lots of examples of people playing in events without regular pga tour status. I was just wondering what all the categories are for exclusion. Last year’s 125 spot was $740k. D Johnson has nearly $1.7 mil already this year which would seem sure to give him his card for next year.

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • Call me for excitement
« Reply #242 on: June 09, 2022, 02:18:53 AM »

That’s right, London.

Why does Phil look like he has been given photos of Saul Goodman giving a fake bribe?

Arkansas: The Buyout State

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #243 on: June 09, 2022, 07:52:05 AM »
I wasn’t trying to imply that all of these guys would start showing up for Monday qualifiers.  There are lots of examples of people playing in events without regular pga tour status. I was just wondering what all the categories are for exclusion. Last year’s 125 spot was $740k. D Johnson has nearly $1.7 mil already this year which would seem sure to give him his card for next year.

No I get you.  There are lots of exemptions into specific tournaments. Categories for previously winning the tournament, lifetime earnings on the tour, finishing in the top 10 in the previous tournament, to name a few. 

But the tour is coming from a position of discipline, which presumably would override any sort of status or exclusion.

Oh btw, I’m curious enough to watch today.   

It’s streaming live here:

https://youtu.be/-exyLWw5pq8

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 08:04:11 AM by Thin Red Swine »

Offline jacobp

• Tush Hog
« Reply #244 on: June 09, 2022, 08:57:38 AM »
The PGA has just officially suspended all members playing in the LIV; and not permitted to play under sponsor exemption or any other category.

Offline jacobp

• Tush Hog
« Reply #245 on: June 09, 2022, 09:39:36 AM »
Bubba Watson and Matthew Wolfe jumped ship, too.

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Boar Bidet or Board Witch
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #246 on: June 09, 2022, 09:44:39 AM »
The PGA has just officially suspended all members playing in the LIV; and not permitted to play under sponsor exemption or any other category.
the memo singled out multiple players who they said didn’t receive releases to play in LIV or didn’t apply for a release at all. Fuck the PGA…these guys are looking out for them and their families by securing themselves with money. I think competition is good for the sport. PFA has monopolized the game for too long.

The one thing I wonder is if the IRS will investigate to determine if the PGA now has to classify the players as employees instead of independent contractors…doesn’t their entire decision change their legal financial structure

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Offline mr.zorak

• Curator of Crapola
  • Tush Hog
  • keep your friends close and your enemies closer...
« Reply #247 on: June 09, 2022, 11:04:47 AM »
Eldrick is beating off right now.

Less competition for him in the Majors. :suicide:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 11:06:44 AM by mr.zorak »
"Almost always in the top 5 dooshapalooza rankings."
frick that i want the, fresh as a whistle
He did.  Actually it has been said by every president in one way or another.  FDR said, “even my crippled ass likes a great pair of tits!”

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #248 on: June 09, 2022, 11:24:43 AM »

Wow, they must read Woopg.   :stache:

The one thing I wonder is if the IRS will investigate to determine if the PGA now has to classify the players as employees instead of independent contractors…doesn’t their entire decision change their legal financial structure

Not to get into a whole thing here, but it's the Department of Labor that investigates this issue.  The IRS already has way more than it can handle.   

I'm not a labor attorney, so grain of salt, but I see this issue fairly often with clients.

The common law standard around this issue really has to do with the entity controlling what the individual must and must not do, like where and what times they work, and possibly requiring the individual to devote full attention to the entity's business for X amount of time per week, for instance.   

In this case, the Tour is just preventing them from "servicing" its business.  They're not preventing the guys from working anywhere, only there.   

Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be legal action, just on different grounds.  This gauntlet all but guarantees there will be.

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #249 on: June 09, 2022, 11:26:41 AM »
You just have to figure the other 3 majors aren’t going to care. The Masters was started by a guy that never had a pga card.