Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: PGA 2022  (Read 10731 times)

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
  • There’s no girl exactly like her.
Re: PGA 2022
« Reply #250 on: June 09, 2022, 11:31:44 AM »
Good article from a few months ago with a high level legal perspective, including from someone who does practice law...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-sgl-ban

Anti-trust would appear to be the legal ground here.

“You didn’t choose me.  I chose you.”  - Sam Pittman

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • Call me for excitement
« Reply #251 on: June 09, 2022, 11:41:17 AM »
Thanks to Tiger, it's all about the majors now for the elite players.
sure, the PGA Tour can be exciting but it's the majors that move the needle for TV.
watching the LIV coverage - it's really no different than another regular PGA event only with colorful graphics and different voices (not a bad thing). It's more like watching the BBC coverage of the Open or the Euro Tour on Golf Channel.

compelling it is not so far. the shotgun start is interesting though.

to be pro golfer would be the best.

well, the LIV doesn't have this yet!!!

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1534692501478580224?s=20&t=jsQiPEJKSIOdpuyTFsu9ew

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 11:52:56 AM by DrMongoose »
Arkansas: The Buyout State

Online TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
PGA 2022
« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2022, 12:53:08 PM »
the memo singled out multiple players who they said didn’t receive releases to play in LIV or didn’t apply for a release at all. Fuck the PGA…these guys are looking out for them and their families by securing themselves with money. I think competition is good for the sport. PFA has monopolized the game for too long.

The one thing I wonder is if the IRS will investigate to determine if the PGA now has to classify the players as employees instead of independent contractors…doesn’t their entire decision change their legal financial structure
The PGA launched an ICBM right up the Saudis ass and good for them.  These players that left are either degenerate gamblers like Phil or on the downhill slide.  This action draws a hard line for those fence sitters who were waiting to see how it plays out.

Are you going to risk your card and membership, your pension, your senior tour to play for a bunch of murderous Saudi motherfuckers.

TV is going to likely decide golf fans have little interest in supporting a bunch of players who are being funded in their new sign on bonuses by $7 a gallon gasoline, or by a bunch of OPEC cocksuckers who fund terrorism and murder.  About the only thing worse for them will be if they make Phil and the gang wear keffiyah on their heads while playing.

And will Titleist, Callaway, and other big money sponsors move away from LIV players when their exposure is mainly on fucking Facebook? 

The Saudis will soon tire of this and put their money into camel racing or supporting ISIS or assraping virgins.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 12:58:44 PM by TexZilla »

Offline bogeyfree

• Wild Hog
« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2022, 01:32:35 PM »
Eldrick is beating off right now.

Less competition for him in the Majors. :suicide:
The majors have nothing to do with this.  The Masters will invite whoever the fuck they want.  The US Open is is a USGA event and they'll do what they want.  PGA Championship is run by the PGA of America, they will do what they want.  British Open the same

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #254 on: June 09, 2022, 01:36:17 PM »
The PGA launched an ICBM right up the Saudis ass and good for them.  These players that left are either degenerate gamblers like Phil or on the downhill slide.  This action draws a hard line for those fence sitters who were waiting to see how it plays out.

Are you going to risk your card and membership, your pension, your senior tour to play for a bunch of murderous Saudi motherfuckers.

TV is going to likely decide golf fans have little interest in supporting a bunch of players who are being funded in their new sign on bonuses by $7 a gallon gasoline, or by a bunch of OPEC cocksuckers who fund terrorism and murder.  About the only thing worse for them will be if they make Phil and the gang wear keffiyah on their heads while playing.

And will Titleist, Callaway, and other big money sponsors move away from LIV players when their exposure is mainly on fucking Facebook? 

The Saudis will soon tire of this and put their money into camel racing or supporting ISIS or assraping virgins.

Will you clarify where you stand on this?  It's a bit vague.   O0

But seriously, after watching it a bit this morning, I tend to agree with Goose.  It wasn't anything really that unique because even though they are promoting it as a "team" event, it certainly doesn't feel that way.  The caddies have team names on the backs of their bibs but there is hardly any team competition in this event.  The Formula 1 style leaderboard is contrived, not to mention confusing even for someone who is used to watching golf.

Greg Norman keeps talking about trying to replicate the feel of a Ryder Cup as a regular thing.  That's what he doesn't get.  The Ryder Cup is so special precisely BECAUSE it is infrequent and BECAUSE there are natural teams, not some pimped up NBA All-Star Game style drafting of a vast majority of no-name guys. 

I don't like the source of the money either, but it's clearer now more than ever that guys are strictly in this for money.  That's understandable for the never-was and have-been guys, but not guys who should be in their prime like DeChambeau and Reed. 

Bottom line is there are a bunch of ego-driven dudes, some of whom say they're on a mission (that they can't clearly articulate) against the "greedy" PGA Tour.   Greg Norman has tried to feed this part of his ego for 30 years.  It may indeed not last that long.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #255 on: June 09, 2022, 01:39:55 PM »
The majors have nothing to do with this.  The Masters will invite whoever the fuck they want.  The US Open is is a USGA event and they'll do what they want.  PGA Championship is run by the PGA of America, they will do what they want.  British Open the same

Agreed.  That's already been made clear.  The USGA set the precedent, making it easier for the R&A.  The Masters will always Master.  It will be more difficult for the PGA Championship due to its close relationship to the Tour.   

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Pig's Knuckle, Arkansas
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #256 on: June 09, 2022, 01:56:42 PM »
Good article from a few months ago with a high level legal perspective, including from someone who does practice law...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-sgl-ban

Anti-trust would appear to be the legal ground here.

Good find. Answered a lot of questions. The pga tour requires 15 events a year. I remember Bruce Lietzke would play 15 a year and kept his card for 20 years  doing so.

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Boar Bidet or Board Witch
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #257 on: June 09, 2022, 01:57:30 PM »
Will you clarify where you stand on this?  It's a bit vague.   O0

But seriously, after watching it a bit this morning, I tend to agree with Goose.  It wasn't anything really that unique because even though they are promoting it as a "team" event, it certainly doesn't feel that way.  The caddies have team names on the backs of their bibs but there is hardly any team competition in this event.  The Formula 1 style leaderboard is contrived, not to mention confusing even for someone who is used to watching golf.

Greg Norman keeps talking about trying to replicate the feel of a Ryder Cup as a regular thing.  That's what he doesn't get.  The Ryder Cup is so special precisely BECAUSE it is infrequent and BECAUSE there are natural teams, not some pimped up NBA All-Star Game style drafting of a vast majority of no-name guys. 

I don't like the source of the money either, but it's clearer now more than ever that guys are strictly in this for money.  That's understandable for the never-was and have-been guys, but not guys who should be in their prime like DeChambeau and Reed. 

Bottom line is there are a bunch of ego-driven dudes, some of whom say they're on a mission (that they can't clearly articulate) against the "greedy" PGA Tour.   Greg Norman has tried to feed this part of his ego for 30 years.  It may indeed not last that long.
I think everyone if given the chance would take the money and know they are gonna be mega rich and have their family taken care of. That was the appeal to Johnson. He also has a huge tab for that outlandish wedding he just had. Tiger doesn’t need the money…he also still thinks he can beat some young up and comer.

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Offline abnormal hog

• A Shoat
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #258 on: June 09, 2022, 02:01:57 PM »
I wasn’t trying to imply that all of these guys would start showing up for Monday qualifiers.  There are lots of examples of people playing in events without regular pga tour status. I was just wondering what all the categories are for exclusion. Last year’s 125 spot was $740k. D Johnson has nearly $1.7 mil already this year which would seem sure to give him his card for next year.

DJ has (had) a lifetime exemption due to his 20+ wins on PGA tour.

Offline hit_that_line

• Woopig Joe Biden
  • King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net
« Reply #259 on: June 09, 2022, 02:02:56 PM »
DJ already has a $50mm net worth. He’s a huge douchebag and will be remembered as such.

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • Call me for excitement
« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2022, 02:53:07 PM »
DJ is #3 all-time in career money. To say he needs the money is insane.

good read on day 1

https://thefriedegg.com/liv-golf-broadcast-pga-tour-punishment/

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2022, 03:25:58 PM »
DJ is #3 all-time in career money. To say he needs the money is insane.

good read on day 1

https://thefriedegg.com/liv-golf-broadcast-pga-tour-punishment/
in this economy it doesn’t hurt to be mega rich. Hater

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Offline hit_that_line

• Woopig Joe Biden
  • King of the Hogs
  • woopig.net
« Reply #262 on: June 09, 2022, 03:30:20 PM »
in this economy it doesn’t hurt to be mega rich. Hater
Wipe that Saudi smegma off your mouth.

Offline Vito Porkleone

• Director of Golf
  • Tush Hog
  • Next one's coming faster.
« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2022, 04:06:37 PM »
This tour is about two things.  The Saudis trying to buy some goodwill, and Greg Norman's limitless ego.  This thing will die on the vine because ratings will be a shitshow once the dust settles.  No TV, no ROI.

The first thing we're gonna do is we're gonna acknowledge that this guy is awesome.  I mean he shoots Theo Tonin;  fakes his own death in a spectacular fashion;  pushes a guy out of an airplane while he's flyin' it;  parachutes into Harlan County with enough coke and cash to jumpstart the economy of a small country;  then he has the balls to get a job in law enforcement - not once but two times;  he spends a couple days ridin' around with you - while you're lookin' for him;  and now he's run off with a hooker that's half his age.  That's some badass shit.

Online TexZilla

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2022, 04:36:41 PM »
This LIV thing will collapse faster than Greg Norman on the last day of the Masters.

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #265 on: June 09, 2022, 04:39:16 PM »
Meh…the Saudi’s will keep it going as long as they want to.  They have enough money that they don’t care if it makes money.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #266 on: June 09, 2022, 05:06:17 PM »
Good find. Answered a lot of questions. The pga tour requires 15 events a year. I remember Bruce Lietzke would play 15 a year and kept his card for 20 years  doing so.

There’s a very enjoyable blast from the past.  Lietzke was one of a kind.  He had a solid but unspectacular career.  He has probably the most consistent swing and could always rely on a slight fade.  He hit close to 80% of fairways during his career.

My of my all time favorite golf stories is about him and a banana and is in this article…

https://golf.com/news/remembering-bruce-lietzke/?amp=1

Online FNG

• Boar
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #267 on: June 09, 2022, 05:33:41 PM »
There’s a very enjoyable blast from the past.  Lietzke was one of a kind.  He had a solid but unspectacular career.  He has probably the most consistent swing and could always rely on a slight fade.  He hit close to 80% of fairways during his career.

My of my all time favorite golf stories is about him and a banana and is in this article…

https://golf.com/news/remembering-bruce-lietzke/?amp=1
I started playing/watching golf in the mid-eighties when I was in my mid thirties. After watching the most recent PGA and all the identical, picture-perfect swings, I flashed back to those days in the 80"sand 90's when I could identify almost every tour pro from three fairways away just by his swing.

The talent wasn't as evenly distributed across the board then as it is now but it seemed like those guys were just more fun to watch back then.

Yeah HTL,  I know,  all boomers need to die.

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #268 on: June 09, 2022, 05:47:55 PM »
I started playing/watching golf in the mid-eighties when I was in my mid thirties. After watching the most recent PGA and all the identical, picture-perfect swings, I flashed back to those days in the 80"sand 90's when I could identify almost every tour pro from three fairways away just by his swing.

The talent wasn't as evenly distributed across the board then as it is now but it seemed like those guys were just more fun to watch back then.

Yeah HTL,  I know,  all boomers need to die.

Exactly!   I started about a decade behind you but it was still that way.

Couples with his steep takeaway. Jack’s flying elbow.  Norman’s violent whippy slash.  Daly back-swinging past his left ear.  Furyk’s octopus in a phone booth.  Whatever the heck you could call Arnie’s move.

Offline Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #269 on: June 09, 2022, 06:13:06 PM »
Exactly!   I started about a decade behind you but it was still that way.

Couples with his steep takeaway. Jack’s flying elbow.  Norman’s violent whippy slash.  Daly back-swinging past his left ear.  Furyk’s octopus in a phone booth.  Whatever the heck you could call Arnie’s move.

I've never paid that much attention to that sort of stuff other than being amazed at how easy some of those guys make it look having played a bit and knowing it's pretty difficult to put that ball out there where you want it to be. I haven't golfed in several years, was never serious about it...just usually got together with some friends...pound some beers and act stupid on the golf course. Maybe trash a golf cart.

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • Call me for excitement

Offline Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2022, 06:53:46 PM »
At what point do they offer John Daly to join?

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2022, 08:25:13 PM »
At what point do they offer John Daly to join?

They could just pay him in 12 million diet cokes. 

Offline Thin Red Swine

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #273 on: June 10, 2022, 04:38:54 PM »
The clearest indication of the “quality” of the field, just look at these scores..

https://www.si.com/golf/.amp/news/full-leaderboard-liv-golf-invitational-series-london-round-2

Good thing there’s no cut. 

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • Call me for excitement
« Reply #274 on: June 10, 2022, 04:44:18 PM »
The clearest indication of the “quality” of the field, just look at these scores..

https://www.si.com/golf/.amp/news/full-leaderboard-liv-golf-invitational-series-london-round-2

Good thing there’s no cut.

Schwartzel is about to make a cool $4 mill.

olgetree still getting $120,000 for being DFA.

the fact you have search for a leaderboard on their website is interesting to say the least.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 04:57:06 PM by DrMongoose »