Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Rental car hijinx  (Read 736 times)

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• Surgeon General of Woopig
  • Emperor of Woopig
Rental car hijinx
« on: April 04, 2022, 07:51:43 PM »
I recently went to Maui on my honeymoon and we got a small Cadillac SUV that we picked up from the Hertz at the airport.  I'm a Hertz Club Gold member (credit card perk) but it was fine when we picked up.

I did the Road to Hana and a few gravel roads and I definitely turned it in slightly dirty and possibly with a few paint scratches.  Nobody batted an eye when I dropped it off, and everything was good until 2 weeks later I get a call from the Hertz Claims department and they bill me for about $4100 for damage.  I played phone tag and finally got in touch with them and asked them to email me the reports.  It turns out they "tried to contact me" by sending emails to 3 emails, all of which were 1-3 letters off from my actual email and not the one listed on my profile.

This picture of the "damage" was attached and it DEFINITELY was not present when I dropped it off, we got the luggage out of the back.  I have State Farm and if rear ended would definitely just file a claim, my deductible is only $250.  The picture they sent was the same day, but 2 hours later and not in the same location.

I'm not going to file a false insurance claim, and certainly won't pay for damage I didn't actually cause.  I thought about asking for camera footage.  I'll protest it and I can get affidavits from my wife and my 17 year old son that no damage was present. 

Has anyone else had something like this happen?  Any great ideas on how to approach it?

I tend to be fairly brand loyal and I've had a couple of issues with Hertz before.  I'm through with them after this, though.

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • Formerly known as Boar Bidet or Board Witch
    • Yamsylvania
Re: Rental car hijinx
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 07:59:28 PM »
Sounds like someone backed into it after you dropped it off or the person taking the car j to possession after did it. I’d fight it.

Rental companies used to hand you a car, make you walk around it before and list any dings ect and then same thing when you return look around the corner everything good and you’d be on your way. Doesn’t happen now. Not enough employees. There was visible dings on the car they gave me last weekend that I was worried they’d hit me up for but didn’t when I returned it. It’s sorta sketch now that they don’t do any of the normal walk through with you.

Did you drop your car off and someone take it and click approve and returned? If so then it should t be in you. When you dropped off the car it should show on your receipt the time dropped and possession of the rental company taking it and someone would have had to report or see the damage if you just returned.

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 08:07:04 PM »
Sounds like someone backed into it after you dropped it off or the person taking the car j to possession after did it. I’d fight it.

Rental companies used to hand you a car, make you walk around it before and list any dings ect and then same thing when you return look around the corner everything good and you’d be on your way. Doesn’t happen now. Not enough employees. There was visible dings on the car they gave me last weekend that I was worried they’d hit me up for but didn’t when I returned it. It’s sorta sketch now that they don’t do any of the normal walk through with you.

Did you drop your car off and someone take it and click approve and returned? If so then it should t be in you. When you dropped off the car it should show on your receipt the time dropped and possession of the rental company taking it and someone would have had to report or see the damage if you just returned.

I dropped it off in the airport parking deck and an attendant took the keys from us before we walked off but didn't give it much of a glance.  That picture was taken two hours later outdoors, I think you're right that one of the Hertz employees dinged it.  The dent looks odd to me, not like an auto collision.

I'm hoping the drop off site has cameras.

I'm going to fight it.  Looks like my AMEX has secondary insurance coverage as well, but I don't want to file a false claim.

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 08:18:19 PM »
I dropped it off in the airport parking deck and an attendant took the keys from us before we walked off but didn't give it much of a glance.  That picture was taken two hours later outdoors, I think you're right that one of the Hertz employees dinged it.  The dent looks odd to me, not like an auto collision.

I'm hoping the drop off site has cameras.

I'm going to fight it.  Looks like my AMEX has secondary insurance coverage as well, but I don't want to file a false claim.
as soon as I drop my rental they should take the keys and then do a check before you leave then email you a receipt. What time does your receipt say? I would tell your credit card and explain what happened and tell them not to pay. Typically Amex will not pay anything if you contest and take care of it. I don’t walk away from the car till I show I’ve been sent a receipt for this very purpose and confirms a time stamp of returned and in good order

Once in Yamsylvania, we had the potato famine. Which did not upset us because, hey, we eat only yams! Then we realized it is better to starve on potatoes than eat yams. We became so poor we had to raise monkeys for their fur. OK, we raised them for their pleasant smell and many tasty parasites. The kids today, tell them about parasite stew, and they look at you like you're some kind of nutty man, crazed from yam poisoning.

Offline El Hogarado

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 08:20:04 PM »
Hertz is bad news. It wouldn't surprise me if they just file claims against the last person to rent the car.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2022/03/31/hertz-arrests-senate-warren-blumenthal-investigation-rental-car/7233969001/

Munny: Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess he had it comin'.
Munny: We all got it comin', kid.

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 08:24:04 PM »
as soon as I drop my rental they should take the keys and then do a check before you leave then email you a receipt. What time does your receipt say? I would tell your credit card and explain what happened and tell them not to pay. Typically Amex will not pay anything if you contest and take care of it. I don’t walk away from the car till I show I’ve been sent a receipt for this very purpose and confirms a time stamp of returned and in good order

They did send me the receipt and everything at 0845 and there were no issues.  The picture they sent with the dent was 1040 in a different location.

I'll contact AMEX, they are always cool about things like that.  Hertz isn't billing my card, they are sending me a bill and asking me to file insurance or pay them directly.

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 09:47:46 PM »
They did send me the receipt and everything at 0845 and there were no issues.  The picture they sent with the dent was 1040 in a different location.

I'll contact AMEX, they are always cool about things like that.  Hertz isn't billing my card, they are sending me a bill and asking me to file insurance or pay them directly.
yeah if they gained back possession and sent a receipt as if all is ok then you should say fuck them. Someone there clearly fucked up and is just trying to put the dent on you. I guarantee someone hit it while it was sitting there or the employee backed into someone and trying to cover it up. Let us know what they say.

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 09:45:48 AM »
yeah if they gained back possession and sent a receipt as if all is ok then you should say fuck them. Someone there clearly fucked up and is just trying to put the dent on you. I guarantee someone hit it while it was sitting there or the employee backed into someone and trying to cover it up. Let us know what they say.

Will do - it's a really weird dent.  It doesn't look like it's from a car, almost like someone backed into a concrete post or something.

Online ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 10:00:05 AM »
Years ago I bent a rim in Bath, England.  Turned in the car (on my AmEx) at the airport, pointed it out for them, flew home.

A week or two later I get a bill for almost $500 US (in 1998 dollars) for a new plain Jane steel rim.  I refused to pay and went back and forth with Amex.

As far as I know, the High Sheriff of Bath has a warrant out for my arrest.

The rental company was Hertz.

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 10:05:47 AM »
Years ago I bent a rim in Bath, England.  Turned in the car (on my AmEx) at the airport, pointed it out for them, flew home.

A week or two later I get a bill for almost $500 US (in 1998 dollars) for a new plain Jane steel rim.  I refused to pay and went back and forth with Amex.

As far as I know, the High Sheriff of Bath has a warrant out for my arrest.

The rental company was Hertz.

I actually blocked Hertz from my AMEX last night because I was afraid of that.

Online jdcatty

• Boar
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 10:18:56 AM »
Will do - it's a really weird dent.  It doesn't look like it's from a car, almost like someone backed into a concrete post or something.

The point of impact is well above the bumper.  More like someone backed into a wall or railing as you say.  About all you can do is contest it and see what happens.  The way those contracts are written is not in your favor, I assure you.

Damn Bobby Petrino!!!  What the Hell was he thinking?

Online hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2022, 11:46:59 AM »
Had a similar thing happen to me with Avis in Austin. 

Told them to get fucked as there was no damage or damage noted when i turned it in.  Also reminded them that I was on business trip for my company and  any further discussion should go through my company. 

My company happens to rent a shitload of cars from them and the whole thing went away.  I know it is surprising, but there are some shady motherfuckers working at rental car places.

Quote from: Animal Chin on Today at 07:38:32 PM
Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2022, 12:21:47 PM »
Going forward when I rent I’m just gonna take a pic of the car front and back, a pic of the employee that takes the keys and then a thumbs up from them that it’s good when I turn in to cover my self

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2022, 01:38:12 PM »
Going forward when I rent I’m just gonna take a pic of the car front and back, a pic of the employee that takes the keys and then a thumbs up from them that it’s good when I turn in to cover my self

Everybody I've discussed this with had the same idea - I wish I had not been so trusting and done that in the past.  Definitely doing it going forward.

Online hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2022, 02:07:21 PM »
If they don’t note the damage when they take receipt of the car, same as you when you take the car, then get fucked.  When I take thr car I always inspect it and take pics of any damage.  If they take the car and uoh walk away, any damage is on them. 

Also, I want to have sex in and around your mouth. Please tell me you're in central Arkansas so we can meet up.  I'm not hard to find.

Can our Admin change the thread title to Austin Allen's Cock?  If so, then put me down for 10 inches, at least.

Online Swahili Steve

• Food Fucking Reviewer
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Yamsylvania
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2022, 02:10:06 PM »
Everybody I've discussed this with had the same idea - I wish I had not been so trusting and done that in the past.  Definitely doing it going forward.
is there a receipt saying you were good to go and turned the car in satisfactory at a time before?

Offline mr.zorak

• Curator of Crapola
  • Tush Hog
  • keep your friends close and your enemies closer...
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2022, 09:43:24 AM »
My insurance agent always purchases their offered insurance coverage so he doesn’t have to use his own.  He says based on liabilities and such he feels even though it’s an extra charge it’s worth it if something catastrophic happens.

The walk around they used to do before and after used to be a nitpick session I thought .  It certainly would have made this situation with you a non existent one.  Staffing shortages are making problems everywhere.

A quick video walk around of the vehicle before you drive off is a great idea.  I will do this from now on when I rent.

Keep us posted on what happens.  Hope it works out well.

"Almost always in the top 5 dooshapalooza rankings."
frick that i want the, fresh as a whistle
He did.  Actually it has been said by every president in one way or another.  FDR said, “even my crippled ass likes a great pair of tits!”

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • Emperor of Woopig
  • ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2022, 09:59:48 AM »
I rented a car in Curaçao a couple years ago.  When I picked it up at the airport, it was literally parked on top of the concrete bumper in the parking lot, and I had some trouble getting off of it.

I told the attendant who gave me the keys about it, he said “no worries mon”

When I took it back the guy checking it said the rocker panels were damaged, and they were going to need $1,000 cash before I could leave.  I told him that I knew that, and how and when the damage had happened.  I then walked him to the concrete bumper and showed him the red paint on it.  He just shook his head and waved me off.  Last I heard of it.

Proffered pronouns:

Your majesty.
His excellency.
Sir
Mr. Man.

Online chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • King of the Hogs
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2022, 08:47:27 AM »
I always, always walk around the car with my smart phone and video it it and take pics of flaws that are there when I pick it up and when I drop it off.

This policy helped me with a rental with Hertz in Nantes
 We picked up the car at the train station with lots of body damage. I made them note it on the paperwork rook pics with the agent visible in the pic looking at it. Sure enough a week later at the Nantes airports they tried to pin it on me, I popped out the the paperwork and video and got cussed in French but that was that. One office didn't want to deal with the damage and they knew another was getting it when it left there.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 08:54:11 AM by chittlins »
“I would rather be governed by the first two thousand people in the Boston telephone directory than by the two thousand people on the faculty of Harvard University.”
— William Buckley on “Meet the Press”, 17 October 1965.

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2022, 06:51:19 PM »
I responded a week ago and told them what happened, that I would provide affidavits from family that no damage was there and asked for video footage and was told it would go to the supervisor.

Nothing since...   

Offline BASS

• the philosophical woopigga
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2022, 08:11:31 PM »
I think that is a good thing. If they wanted you to pay you would have heard something by now.

fuck your feelings

Online Son_of_Spam

• Weird turning pro
  • King of the Hogs
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die.
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2022, 08:56:48 PM »
Don’t rental car companies have insurance to cover their own cars? Seems like they want to pressure you to pay foe any damage to keep Their insurance from paying.

The room looked like the site of some horrible zoological experiment involving whiskey and gorillas....

Online chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • King of the Hogs
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2022, 08:50:48 PM »
Don’t rental car companies have insurance to cover their own cars? Seems like they want to pressure you to pay foe any damage to keep Their insurance from paying.

For our Munich to Stastbourg drive we rented from Sixt. I had heard and read horrible things about them but I could turn the car in at Rust at Europe Park and save big money by not turning it in at the station in Strasbourg. It was an easy peasy 25 minute train ride to the same station we were taking the high speed to Nantes on plus it allowed me to get an A6 so I could be at least fair to middling on the Autobahn stretch we had on the route. I was shocked how easy they were, maybe because it was at a Europe Park hotel but it was the easiest beginning to end rental we had with the Barcelona experience being the fucking pits. 

“I would rather be governed by the first two thousand people in the Boston telephone directory than by the two thousand people on the faculty of Harvard University.”
— William Buckley on “Meet the Press”, 17 October 1965.

Online hogsrunwild

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yes, it is
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2022, 07:01:57 PM »
For our Munich to Stastbourg drive we rented from Sixt. I had heard and read horrible things about them but I could turn the car in at Rust at Europe Park and save big money by not turning it in at the station in Strasbourg. It was an easy peasy 25 minute train ride to the same station we were taking the high speed to Nantes on plus it allowed me to get an A6 so I could be at least fair to middling on the Autobahn stretch we had on the route. I was shocked how easy they were, maybe because it was at a Europe Park hotel but it was the easiest beginning to end rental we had with the Barcelona experience being the fucking pits.
I have rented a ton of vehicles in Germany from Avis and Sixt.  Only really had an issue once.  Had an A6 and stretched it out on the way to Berlin.  Had a limiter at 150mph and had more to give if it didn’t limit.  Parking that beast was the only issue in Dresden.