Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Troy Game Thread  (Read 3168 times)

Offline BiggusPiggus

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
Re: Troy Game Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2022, 01:04:00 PM »
smith was jacked.  looked like he was almost hyperventilating sitting at the scorer's table.  bet he would have settled in if given more minutes.

i think his role will be similar to notae's except he'll make a hell of a lot more shots on a hell of a lot less attempts. 

Yeah he was way too amped. If we had pulled away earlier in the second half I think we would have seen him again. I expect he'll get twice as much time on Saturday and then be a regular contributor going forward.

(not that Biggus Piggus)

Offline Animal

• Totally not an administrator
  • Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2022, 01:49:50 PM »
Muss said in his presser that he wouldn't have done that to any player coming back from injury. Gilbert Arenas, Nick Smith Jr...doesn't matter. He was referring to putting a guy in a close game that hasn't logged a lot of time because of injury.

If Devo isn't back by Saturday you might see Nick's minutes increase...15 to 20 mins. I guess a lot will depend on what the doctor is saying, how the kid feels, and most importantly how he's performing on the court. If you aren't up to snuff your ass is getting yanked this season.

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war

Bruce Lee

Offline BiggusPiggus

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2022, 02:49:00 PM »
Muss said in his presser that he wouldn't have done that to any player coming back from injury. Gilbert Arenas, Nick Smith Jr...doesn't matter. He was referring to putting a guy in a close game that hasn't logged a lot of time because of injury.

If Devo isn't back by Saturday you might see Nick's minutes increase...15 to 20 mins. I guess a lot will depend on what the doctor is saying, how the kid feels, and most importantly how he's performing on the court. If you aren't up to snuff your ass is getting yanked this season.

He also made it a point to say that Devo had the 9th most minutes of any player in the SEC. I wondered if that wasn't a subtle hint at why he was taking time away. Maybe he's upset he got benched for the second half at the end of the Maui tournament. Muss went onto say he has guys that are potential All Americans sitting on the bench that have barely played a minute. I could be reading into it, but it felt like a combination of "you've got nothing to complain about" and "you're not as essential as you think you are."

(not that Biggus Piggus)

Offline Animal

• Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2022, 04:04:34 PM »
He also made it a point to say that Devo had the 9th most minutes of any player in the SEC. I wondered if that wasn't a subtle hint at why he was taking time away. Maybe he's upset he got benched for the second half at the end of the Maui tournament. Muss went onto say he has guys that are potential All Americans sitting on the bench that have barely played a minute. I could be reading into it, but it felt like a combination of "you've got nothing to complain about" and "you're not as essential as you think you are."

I was doing the same reading into it...just didn't air it on here.

It wasn't just for Devo either I don't feel. He suggested that they will be going "big" for much of the season which was another shot across the bow. He all but said Kamani Johnson is going to play a lot not because he's better than other guys but because he busts his ass, takes instructions, and most importantly he produces in games. The Mitchell twins are also in that same boat...they run the floor hard and they are getting nice position for high percentage baskets.

There is fixing to be a fight on this team for minutes with the return of Nick Smith. You know that kid is too good not to be getting 30 mins a game. We all know that means Devo's minutes for sure and as we all know our rotations tend to shrink about mid way thru conference play if not sooner. Muss is going to be a wizard if he can get all 13 dudes on this team to accept that just 7 of them will play significant minutes. Obviously we need to get to a point where RC4 and Black can get a blow.

Bruce Lee

Online The Red Death

• Woopig’s Emotional Woman Dipshit
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2022, 04:12:26 PM »

Why do people fanboy Devo?  Why does he have NIL deals?  Why has he consistently gotten worse as a player?  He was killing us against SDSU and he is shooting 35% from the field, a horrid 16% from 3, while averaging 8.5 points in a ton of minutes yet he hasn't stopped trying to be baby Jordan.  We have and can get better minute production elsewhere.

At least 5 times a game he does something inexplicably stupid on offense or defense.  Dude is selfish.  He yells at the other more talented guys while he plays worse.  Now after yelling at those guys he's taking time off?  GTFOH.

I don't know what's wrong nor do I care if he comes back.  I feel like his ego is bruised and he's realizing this is NOT his team.  If he does come back he could be a valuable role player 10-15 minutes if he'd do what Kamani has done instead of trying to be "the man".

I support Muss 100% in benching him in Maui.  Whatever happened was very ugly in that locker room at halftime and I'm with Muss. 

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.”  George Carlin

Offline Son_of_Spam

• Weird turning pro
  • King of the Hogs
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die.
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2022, 04:14:22 PM »

It wasn't just for Devo either I don't feel. He suggested that they will be going "big" for much of the season which was another shot across the bow. He all but said Kamani Johnson is going to play a lot not because he's better than other guys but because he busts his ass, takes instructions, and most importantly he produces in games. The Mitchell twins are also in that same boat...they run the floor hard and they are getting nice position for high percentage baskets.

There is fixing to be a fight on this team for minutes with the return of Nick Smith. You know that kid is too good not to be getting 30 mins a game. We all know that means Devo's minutes for sure and as we all know our rotations tend to shrink about mid way thru conference play if not sooner. Muss is going to be a wizard if he can get all 13 dudes on this team to accept that just 7 of them will play significant minutes. Obviously we need to get to a point where RC4 and Black can get a blow.
It is the curse of signing a lot of 4 and 5 star players. Some will have to sit. Want to play? Get better and beat somebody out.

The room looked like the site of some horrible zoological experiment involving whiskey and gorillas....

Offline Show-Me Hog

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yep
« Reply #231 on: November 29, 2022, 04:14:57 PM »
Muss is going to be a wizard if he can get all 13 dudes on this team to accept that just 7 of them will play significant minutes.

The transfer portal applies to basketball too......

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #232 on: November 29, 2022, 04:59:04 PM »
Our roster would be perfect for Nolan's 40 minutes of hell but Muss doesn't play that way. We have the length and depth to make teams miserable if we wanted to. Even still, Nolan backed off his rotation in tourney play. You want your best guys to play the most minutes.

What's going to be interesting is who is on the floor to close out big games. You're gonna have a hard time taking RC, NSJ, and AB off the floor late in games.

<--- I'm with him

Online BASS

• the philosophical woopigga
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #233 on: November 29, 2022, 05:00:25 PM »

the way RC4 and AB have been playing, they ought to be getting all the blows they can handle.  don't tell me the uofa female pop is letting us down.

fuck your feelings

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #234 on: November 29, 2022, 05:17:40 PM »
Why do people fanboy Devo?  Why does he have NIL deals?  Why has he consistently gotten worse as a player?  He was killing us against SDSU and he is shooting 35% from the field, a horrid 16% from 3, while averaging 8.5 points in a ton of minutes yet he hasn't stopped trying to be baby Jordan.  We have and can get better minute production elsewhere.

At least 5 times a game he does something inexplicably stupid on offense or defense.  Dude is selfish.  He yells at the other more talented guys while he plays worse.  Now after yelling at those guys he's taking time off?  GTFOH.

I don't know what's wrong nor do I care if he comes back.  I feel like his ego is bruised and he's realizing this is NOT his team.  If he does come back he could be a valuable role player 10-15 minutes if he'd do what Kamani has done instead of trying to be "the man".

I support Muss 100% in benching him in Maui.  Whatever happened was very ugly in that locker room at halftime and I'm with Muss.

Screw that kid.  This team is too damned good to have its chemistry messed up with some locker room bullshit from someone who thinks he is the second coming of Michael Jordan.  After three years, the WTF Devo moments have only increased.  At least with the younger guys, you have reasonable expectations they’ll get better.  It’s the same movie over and over.

Speaking of movies, I’m pretty sure Devo had a bit part in this one:

https://youtu.be/UJtIcoE9VUs

Offline Show-Me Hog

• Emperor of Woopig
  • Yep
« Reply #235 on: November 29, 2022, 05:18:51 PM »
What's going to be interesting is who is on the floor to close out big games. You're gonna have a hard time taking RC, NSJ, and AB off the floor late in games.

Those 3 + (whichever of the twins or Kamani played better that game) + (whichever of Walsh or Brazile played better that game) seems a solid bet down the stretch.

Offline Chigurh

• Call it Friendo
  • Tush Hog
  • I can't call it for you
« Reply #236 on: November 29, 2022, 05:49:54 PM »
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." -Ronald Reagan

When it's all said and done, everybody gets a ring.

You pick the one right tool.

Online flash23

• Tush Hog
« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2022, 07:13:25 PM »
Screw that kid.  This team is too damned good to have its chemistry messed up with some locker room bullshit from someone who thinks he is the second coming of Michael Jordan.  After three years, the WTF Devo moments have only increased.  At least with the younger guys, you have reasonable expectations they’ll get better.  It’s the same movie over and over.

Speaking of movies, I’m pretty sure Devo had a bit part in this one:

https://youtu.be/UJtIcoE9VUs
Do you know for certain there's locker room bullshit or are you just talking out of your ass?

Devo still has wtf moments but he played solid defense and had some stretches where he went and got a few buckets when no one else wanted to. He's instructed guys on the floor. He's a good team player regardless of what's going on with him right now.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 07:23:38 PM by flash23 »

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2022, 07:30:13 PM »
Do you know for certain there's locker room bullshit or are you just talking out of your ass?

Devo still has wtf moments but he played solid defense and had some stretches where he went and got a few buckets when no one else wanted to. He's instructed guys on the floor. He's a good team player regardless of what's going on with him right now.

Bullshit.  Good team players don’t take time off from the team.  He is a pouty bitch.  He has time to redeem himself, but right now he is a pouty bitch.

Online flash23

• Tush Hog
« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2022, 07:31:57 PM »
So you're just taking out of your ass, got it.

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2022, 07:33:39 PM »
So you're just taking out of your ass, got it.

He is a pouty bitch.  He got his vagina hurt and quit on his team.  That’s being a pouty bitch and not a good team player BY DEFINITION.

Offline Animal

• Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2022, 07:43:26 PM »
He is a pouty bitch.  He got his vagina hurt and quit on his team.  That’s being a pouty bitch and not a good team player BY DEFINITION.

Or it could be that you guys don't know what the fuck is going on. My best guess is he got butthurt and Muss sent his ass home to have a long cry. Maybe he comes back...maybe not.

Bruce Lee

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #242 on: November 29, 2022, 08:05:31 PM »
Or it could be that you guys don't know what the fuck is going on. My best guess is he got butthurt and Muss sent his ass home to have a long cry. Maybe he comes back...maybe not.

Your best guess is pretty much what I’m saying. 

Offline Animal

• Emperor of Woopig
    • Woopig Mobile Theme
« Reply #243 on: November 29, 2022, 09:21:03 PM »
http://www.fayvillains.com/2022/11/29/box-score-breakdown-arkansas-74-troy-61/

dude does a good job breaking stuff down. I think his conclusion about #22 is spot on. He doesn't say it and I will but to my eye #22 plays better than his brother and his brother that starts aint bad. IDK...I'm sure there is a reason one is starting and the other one doesn't. I think 22 has a bit more of a mean streak, can get a bit mouthy with the refs.

Bruce Lee

Offline goporkyourself

• Citizen
  • King of the Hogs
  • Careful man, there’s a beverage here.
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2022, 07:57:03 AM »
Devo may have some personal shit going on an I hope it works out.  I’m a fan just based on his effort and commitment. But his reality is that he’s a 3 and D guy that can’t shoot. It’s likely his pride is fucking with him and he needs to get that squared away. He still has a job on this team but he’s never going to be a star.

Offline The Whyte Boar

• Boar
« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2022, 08:35:38 AM »
Devo came on strong in the tournament run of his first year and looked like the best player on the floor at times.  The hype was tremendous coming into last year and he bought into it.  It seems ever since he has been trying to live up to it and be a star.  Probably some people in his ear about needing to show the ability to score to make it to the next level too. 

But that’s just not who he is for this team and that window has passed.  Every time he comes down and does some out of control shit or jacks up one of his goofy looking shots, that’s a lost possession and maybe a four point or more swing.  Him not playing was the difference in the game against SDSU.  With him and his lost possessions they were seven points better than we were in the first half.  Without him, we were seven points better than they were in the second.  That’s just a couple three possessions. 

I’d love for him to adopt to his role and come back as a lockdown defender, but he is an offensive liability and is going to have to quit taking shots.  If he can’t do that, his defense isn’t worth it.  He may be  trying to figure out if he can live with those conditions.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 08:37:37 AM by The Whyte Boar »

Offline GuinnessHog

• Boar
« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2022, 12:15:20 PM »

I’d love for him to adopt to his role and come back as a lockdown defender, but he is an offensive liability and is going to have to quit taking shots.  If he can’t do that, his defense isn’t worth it.  He may be  trying to figure out if he can live with those conditions.

I’d put $$ that it’s the exact same conversation Muss had with Desi while JD was the other variable. Offense goes through JD…you shut down the opponents, slash for layups, and hustle.

Sub Devo for Desi and Council/Black/NSJ for JD and…same exact conversation

Online Barton Fink

• King of the Hogs
  • Bring it!
« Reply #247 on: November 30, 2022, 10:34:14 PM »
Watching the highlights and realized at one point we had AB, Council, Brazile, Kamani, and Mitchell in together. That is a huge/athletic lineup.

<--- I'm with him

Offline TC

• King of the Hogs
  • Bout to get juicy.
« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2022, 11:12:23 PM »
Watching the highlights and realized at one point we had AB, Council, Brazile, Kamani, and Mitchell in together. That is a huge/athletic lineup.

That's the starting lineup for the next 2 weeks.  That's gonna hurt some NSj fans feelings, but he's gonna have to come in and produce pretty quick to take away minutes.  Muss might go with a strong front court, and put MB, RC4, and NSj in for Brazile, with Kamani and the bigger Mitchell.  Honestly I wish he'd get further away from his tendency to go with a 7-8 man rotation, and work in some of the other guys in December while we're playing the Butlers and such. 

I'm glad it's him and not me having to make the decisions.

Online BASS

• the philosophical woopigga
  • Emperor of Woopig
« Reply #249 on: December 01, 2022, 08:53:30 AM »
I wish he'd go to 10-11 man rotation. No one getting more than 30 minutes.

fuck your feelings