Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Razorback Discussion / Re: Troy Game Thread
« Last post by The Whyte Boar on Today at 08:35:38 AM »
Devo came on strong in the tournament run of his first year and looked like the best player on the floor at times.  The hype was tremendous coming into last year and he bought into it.  It seems ever since he has been trying to live up to it and be a star.  Probably some people in his ear about needing to show the ability to score to make it to the next level too. 

But that’s just not who he is for this team and that window has passed.  Every time he comes down and does some out of control shit or jacks up one of his goofy looking shots, that’s a lost possession and maybe a four point or more swing.  Him not playing was the difference in the game against SDSU.  With him and his lost possessions they were seven points better than we were in the first half.  Without him, we were seven points better than they were in the second.  That’s just a couple three possessions. 

I’d love for him to adopt to his role and come back as a lockdown defender, but he is an offensive liability and is going to have to quit taking shots.  If he can’t do that, his defense isn’t worth it.  He may be  trying to figure out if he can live with those conditions.
This.  Though, some of that likely has to do with Briles’ apparent inability to develop a QB.

Some qb’s are undevelopeable.  It’s a head thing.  Some have tons of raw talent, but what you get is raw talent and an empty head…and it never fills with anything.
Why is that tweet picture sensitive content?

No idea.  It wasn’t originally
Razorback Discussion / Re: Perpetual NFL Thread
« Last post by HughJasole on Today at 08:17:24 AM »
Was half assed watching last night's battle of the cripples and Matt Ryan looks like shit. Not only as a QB but as a walking breathing human corpse. Damn, not aging well and I can't believe he's still in the NFL.
[/quote

His offensive line is pure anus, however.
Razorback Discussion / Re: Troy Game Thread
« Last post by goporkyourself on Today at 07:57:03 AM »
Devo may have some personal shit going on an I hope it works out.  I’m a fan just based on his effort and commitment. But his reality is that he’s a 3 and D guy that can’t shoot. It’s likely his pride is fucking with him and he needs to get that squared away. He still has a job on this team but he’s never going to be a star.
Razorback Discussion / Look Who Portalled!
« Last post by Feral on Today at 07:49:02 AM »
For Arkansas especially I think it would pay to have people in place that really know the lower divisions/smaller schools and what's out there from year to year. We've got to find those Vanilla Gorilla types that fall thru the cracks. Every year there are DBs making it to the NFL from these small colleges. We've literally got DBs that I don't know that I'd trust covering D2 guys. That's a disgrace. Oh and I'd sure take a overgrown DT with a motor from the lower divisions hungry and playing with a chip on their shoulder over a lush from another SEC school that never could get on the field.

Agreed.

Remember when we all creamed our jeans over last year over Haselwood because he was a high 5 star coming out of high school? We glossed right over his OU stats and went straight to his HS recruiting evals. I’m not so sure I wouldn’t have rather had DeVion Warren or Tyson Morris back this year instead.

There’s a tremendous amount of value in the G5 and FCS ranks. Vanilla Gorilla was a prime example of that, as is Jared Verse who was a stud at Albany and has torn it up at FSU this year.

You risk getting into a funk if you’re simply chasing guys who got cycled out of blue blood programs. Sort of like the dynamic for years in the NFL where teams overpaid and overvalued Patriots castoffs because of the Belichick/Pats premium, only to find out they were holding a bunch of Pets.com stock.
I was disappointed yesterday that I could not find a gif showing Khomeini falling out of his coffin. 
Razorback Discussion / Re: Look Who Portalled!
« Last post by Animal on Today at 06:26:55 AM »
For Arkansas especially I think it would pay to have people in place that really know the lower divisions/smaller schools and what's out there from year to year. We've got to find those Vanilla Gorilla types that fall thru the cracks. Every year there are DBs making it to the NFL from these small colleges. We've literally got DBs that I don't know that I'd trust covering D2 guys. That's a disgrace. Oh and I'd sure take a overgrown DT with a motor from the lower divisions hungry and playing with a chip on their shoulder over a lush from another SEC school that never could get on the field.

Certainly we have to compete for the best talent available on the second-hand/used recruiting market coming from the P5s. They'll always be transfers that want a opportunity to play in the SEC. That's going to be coming from other SEC players and probably I suspect we might see a flood of Big 12 defections soon.

From a high school perspective we continue to recruit kids, fail to develop them prior to them being disillusioned and move on. A kid like Jointer should have probably been a position swap over to defense after August. He might have been good at RB but probably not someone that was ever going to break into the rotation at least not all that quickly. Dubinion will be a star, nobody knows what will happen with DJ, Sanders is playing another year of college ball we know. Green I could see maybe testing the portal waters, but for whatever reason this staff is in love with him. I can see Jointer looking at that depth chart and not seeing where he fits in. To me that's what I'm seeing is some obvious lack of selling guys on moving positions. I know we did McAdoo and hopefully he can stay over there and maybe get some PR/KOR duty so he can touch the ball. He's an electric player for sure. Haven't seen Mbake and don't know if they are keeping him at DB. He's still listed as a WR where as the website has McAdoo listed as a db. Outley is a prime example...kid spent a couple years at TE. They never moved him anywhere else. He never saw the field. Maybe he's not a DE. Maybe the kid just isn't a P5 talent. The fact is it don't appear they really tried to do anything with him. We've had a roster each year with pet rocks playing older guys, failing to blow shit teams out so to get young guys game experience, in rare times where we do play young guys it's lets just get out of here mode.

Razorback Discussion / Re: Look Who Portalled!
« Last post by Feral on Today at 05:46:12 AM »
It changes what the job of college coaching really is going forward.  You have to figure out your scholarship allocation, recruit high schools, recruit transfers, recruit the players you want to keep, and runoft and replace those you don’t.  That’s a lot of shit to shovel before you coach a down of football. 

The smart head coach would take less money to expand the budget for a big personnel crew that is part of the team for each position group.   
Yep, exactly. The portal and NIL have changed the dynamics of coaching in college football and injected a few additional different types of recruiting into a coach’s purview (retention, portal evaluation) and away from player development for the most part. To your point, there’s no time for these additional duties and it’s why these armies of analysts that Saban spearheaded are so important.

In addition to that, the portal has changed how you can act and treat your players as a coach. Can’t be too much of a disciplinarian or you’ll lose players to the portal, but you can’t be too much of a softy or you’ll lose games because your team won’t have any focus or discipline. The portal almost necessitates a different type of coach who’s all scheme, and it’s why a hardass like Patterson flamed out at TCU and Dykes has them on the cusp of the CFP.
We were 6-6. You should not be scared of losing most of this underachieving and soft team, in the age of the portal where we can import experienced players.
Yeah, I’m not going to cry in my beer about losing a bunch of players who derped their way to the most uninspired and disappointing 6-6 season I’ve ever seen.

Makes me think of the old Lou Holtz quote about when he had a bunch of returning starters from a mediocre team and how they “have a bunch of returning experience but it’s the bad kind.”
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10