Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   
Woopig News and Help / Re: crawl space question
« Last post by iNOVAhog on October 19, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »
I happened to install a dehumidifier in my ancient cellar/crawlspace a month ago.  I connected the outlet to a condensate pump using a plastic tube.

One day, I hire a contractor to clean up down there and make it tight and dry with vapor barriers and fresh insulation.
Woopig News and Help / Re: Back Pain
« Last post by iNOVAhog on October 19, 2018, 02:17:26 PM »
I had 3 of 5 herniated discs surgically trimmed down 20 years ago and they still give me problems of course.  I have to do extensive stretches 3-5 times a day to keep the bod in good alignment.  I also hang upside down twice a day using an inversion table.  I do intense core and ab exercises twice a week too which helps a lot.
« Last post by 1st_down_streak on October 19, 2018, 11:15:19 AM »
We have slab here but I bought a rollout downspout extender from rainguard USA to keep water from running into the covered area of the patio. Basically a 24' tube of heavy plastic that you zip tie around the downspout. Simple yet effective. Just roll it back up when the rain stops.
« Last post by razorwire on October 19, 2018, 08:28:59 AM »
Sometimes a Trench Drain instead of a French Drain is all you need to drop the seasonal high water table.  Trench does not have a drain pipe connected to an off site ditch, etc.  Basically, a trench lined with filter fabric and filled with gravel. 
« Last post by PHARMHOG on October 18, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »
I hate crawl spaces and ground water.

1 - Moisture Barrier
2 - Vents for airflow
3 - French drains and rerouting subterranean water#
4 - Create an exit for standing water
5 - Seal subfloor
6 - down spout rerouters
7 - check sprinkler system
8 - reshim piers
9 - gutters

Here is where it gets expensive:
1 - if on a grade...digging down to sub grade and putting in French drains
2 - pier repair/replacement/new adds
3 - foundation wall stabilization (Check with RamJack $700 core drilled pier)
« Last post by pigtacular on October 14, 2018, 05:11:51 PM »
i read a bunch of different opinions about this topic and it seems pretty varied among the experts.

crawlspace solutions will most definitely sell you something better than what you have. kind of like anyone else that is selling a product. how much you "need" it is the real question.

update with what they propose as i may look to upgrade my crawlspace at some point but i don't want to go crazy with it.

Yeah, we had no signs of mold when our house was inspected 4 years ago.

It seems to me I would just need to dry out the existing crawl space, add gutters and perhaps a French drain.

I'll report back when they make it out here on Oct 29.
« Last post by goporkyourself on October 14, 2018, 12:45:17 PM »
i read a bunch of different opinions about this topic and it seems pretty varied among the experts.

crawlspace solutions will most definitely sell you something better than what you have. kind of like anyone else that is selling a product. how much you "need" it is the real question.

update with what they propose as i may look to upgrade my crawlspace at some point but i don't want to go crazy with it.

« Last post by wvhawgfan on October 13, 2018, 11:12:55 PM »
The house drying out and warping is because the damage was already done. Prob could have slowly dried it out instead of more rapidly.

Sealing it off from the jump is good policy. For temporary measures a sump, dehumidifier, forced air cross ventilation will help.

We have had a rash of this shit in Arkansas. Crappy duct work, water under houses...no vapor barrier. Had one this summer where it was raining under the house...the condensation had soaked the floor joists. It needed new duct work, vapor barrier, and upon doing the ducts a sprinkler came on and water went everywhere so that was the main source of the problem.

Crawl Space Solutions of Arkansas supposedly does real good work.

EDIT: adding a couple more names. I thought there as a company in Cabot that does this but can’t find them now.

Superior Crawl Spaces (Little Rock)

Harris Insulation could be of help as well.
You'd be more of an expert than me, but if you have a crawl space with natural ventilation (vents) and a proper moisture barrier, why not let it normalize naturally rather than sealing it off and trying to normalize it via mechanical means. Other than your an HVAC contractor? joking
« Last post by pigtacular on October 10, 2018, 12:04:34 PM »
Called crawl space solutions.   They won't be able to to make it out till the end of the month.

I asked him if there was anything I could do in the mean time(dehumidifier, fan with the dry, cool air coming in this weekend) he said neither were a good idea right now.   Seemed odd, but ok.
Woopig News and Help / Re: Back Pain
« Last post by TexZilla on October 09, 2018, 04:34:31 PM »
My wife has serious arthritis and has had both knees replaced.  She recently had her L4 and L5 fused as she had zero cartilage on L5.  The surgery went well, the pain was far less than the knees, and less debilitating.  She is religious with her PT and exercises.  It takes forever for these two bones to fuse but she has far more stability and the pain is far less than it was.

The follow up rehab is critical.  Evidently a lot of folks have the surgery and then complain it didn't do anything to help.  Did you do your PT and exercise? No, whats that got to do with it?  idiots.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10