Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The annual Pujols is the best player ever thread  (Read 128459 times)

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
Re: The annual Pujols is the best player ever thread
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2008, 03:36:04 PM »
Well, it's fun and all to find creative ways to criticize a .350 hitter who leads his team in BA, OBP, and slugging percentage.  Cindy Crawford has a mole.  And reasonable people can differ on who's not protecting who and who is the biggest rally killer on the team, Pujols with his 30 strikeouts, or Ludwick and Ankiel with 73 and 70 K's, respectively.

But the Cardinal's biggest team problem is not offense, the way I see it.  They are 6th in team RBI and runs scored in the league and second only to Chicago in team BA.  The problem is their bullpen sucks and will get worse in the second "half" if the starters don't start logging more innings.  If the Cardinals are going to improve in the second half, they need to find a lock down closer on a non-contender (if there's one out there) and a good lefty reliever they can count on.  Watching that 9th and 10th inning meltdown Saturday night was the season, thus far, in microcosm.  No lead is safe.

Buy pitching, I say.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Biggus Punkus

« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »
You're an idiot.
He's fricking hurt and he's still hitting .350. You go do that with a high grade tear of the ulnar collateral ligament, bone spurs, and arthritis in your elbow that will require reconstructive surgery. He's 3rd in the majors in OPS, 143rd in at bats...frick it.

Do you even watch the Cardinals? He doesn't get aMm to hit.

I've listened in since 1947 asshole. Started watching  in 1955/56 when Channel 36 in St. Louis carried about 10 TV games a year. Then they moved to Channel 5 for a few years then to Channel 11 for about 25 or 30 years and now on FOX MW or KSDK again. Hardly ever miss a game. Are you telling me the SoB didn't get schit to hit Sunday when he popped straight up to the catcher with the bases loaded. He would have 75 RBIs this season if he didn't leave so many on base. Get your nose out of Pujols ass. If he is that GD hurt he shouldn't be on the field. By the way, kiss off asshole.

P.S. He tries to kill every pitch he sees. That elbow/shoulder/hip/ribs must be killing him.

Biggus Punkus

« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2008, 03:54:40 PM »
Well, it's fun and all to find creative ways to criticize a .350 hitter who leads his team in BA, OBP, and slugging percentage.  Cindy Crawford has a mole.  And reasonable people can differ on who's not protecting who and who is the biggest rally killer on the team, Pujols with his 30 strikeouts, or Ludwick and Ankiel with 73 and 70 K's, respectively.

But the Cardinal's biggest team problem is not offense, the way I see it.  They are 6th in team RBI and runs scored in the league and second only to Chicago in team BA.  The problem is their bullpen sucks and will get worse in the second "half" if the starters don't start logging more innings.  If the Cardinals are going to improve in the second half, they need to find a lock down closer on a non-contender (if there's one out there) and a good lefty reliever they can count on.  Watching that 9th and 10th inning meltdown Saturday night was the season, thus far, in microcosm.  No lead is safe.

Buy pitching, I say.

Just admit he is suffering in the power/run production department. He's had 42 RBIs since about May 15.

Biggus Punkus

« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2008, 03:55:58 PM »
the bottom line is this:  who f'in cares?  They are playing for the wild card anyway.   :2bird:

Unless they find some pitching they won't even be playing for that.

Razorgasm

« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »
Not sure he's the answer but here comes AJ Burnett. Hopefully Brian Fuentes can be secured also.

Offline Nutt Hill Hawg

• Keeper of the Hoxie whores
  • Tush Hog
  • This man was banned from Hogville and noone cares
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2008, 04:51:39 PM »
If he is that GD hurt he shouldn't be on the field.

If he didn't play he'd get the "he's such a puthy cause he doesn't play hurt" line.

Back in my day Ducky Medwick played both ends of a double header with a hangover, TWO broken legs, and a crushed sternum

You say that he try's to kill every pitch he sees come along AND you think that Glaus, Ankiel and Ludwick have done a good job protecting him.  How is it then that he's walked 61 times this year?  It's either because he's not getting anything to hit or because he's being careful what he chooses to hit...which one of your theories is incorrect?

You're correct in the fact that it seems the media rarely get on him, but then again, what basis do they really have to call him out.  He is having a pedestrian year by his normal standards but for just about any other player it would still be a very good/great year.  He's top 5, top 10 in every catagory except homeruns.  Perhaps the media fear that if they called him out they'd just come off as having an axe to grind...

I do agree with you on pitching being the greatest need.  That meltdown on Saturday night was just painful, all the more so because you just KNEW it was coming.  

When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers; I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. 
 Max McGee, Green Bay Packers receiver

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2008, 05:38:16 PM »
Just admit he is suffering in the power/run production department. He's had 42 RBIs since about May 15.

I admit it.  By his "almost greatest first seven years in the history of baseball" standard, his RBI production is down.  But I just think on the Cardinals' "to do list," worrying about his RBI production shouldn't be that high on the list.  Besides, what are you going to do, bench him?  Make him run gassers.  Spend a week in Springfield?  It'll come back.  Does anybody seriously think he isn't trying to drive in runs?  But they DO have the ability to do something about their pitching, especiallly relief. I just worry the GM thinks he needs to get another stick worse than better pitching.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Deja Vu

• President of Leo Propst Fan Club
  • King of the Hogs
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2008, 11:07:29 PM »
I've listened in since 1947 asshole. Started watching  in 1955/56 when Channel 36 in St. Louis carried about 10 TV games a year. Then they moved to Channel 5 for a few years then to Channel 11 for about 25 or 30 years and now on FOX MW or KSDK again. Hardly ever miss a game. Are you telling me the SoB didn't get schit to hit Sunday when he popped straight up to the catcher with the bases loaded. He would have 75 RBIs this season if he didn't leave so many on base. Get your nose out of Pujols ass. If he is that GD hurt he shouldn't be on the field. By the way, kiss off asshole.

P.S. He tries to kill every pitch he sees. That elbow/shoulder/hip/ribs must be killing him.

Well, congratulations. You're not just old, you're old and fricking stupid.

I'm perplexed by the negative feedback. I just don't get it. What's wrong with you?

No, why are ya'll going through my myspace and stuff, obsessive??

Offline Jar2

• Yankee Proud
  • A Shoat
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2008, 11:11:14 PM »
Well, congratulations. You're not just old, you're old and fricking stupid.

Well, he does live in Fenton.

can't believe you even took the time to write that

Biggus Punkus

« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2008, 01:51:59 PM »
If he didn't play he'd get the "he's such a puthy cause he doesn't play hurt" line.

Back in my day Ducky Medwick played both ends of a double header with a hangover, TWO broken legs, and a crushed sternum

Really? ;D

You say that he try's to kill every pitch he sees come along AND you think that Glaus, Ankiel and Ludwick have done a good job protecting him.  How is it then that he's walked 61 times this year?  It's either because he's not getting anything to hit or because he's being careful what he chooses to hit...which one of your theories is incorrect?

Most of those walks happened when Glaus wasn't hitting a lick early on and opposing teams had not realized the hitting prowess of Ankiel and especially Ludwick. The intentional walks of Pujols are happening at a greatly reduced rate since those three, whichever ones bat behind AP, have come on like gangbusters in the last two months. 61 walks is a right on schedule according to his ABs career wise. But his run production, HRs and RBIs are not. And he has had streaks with as many as 12 ABs in a row lately w/o a hit. He has left many baserunners stranded as he did the night the Cards lost to the Pirates 12-11 in extra innings. But NOBODY acknowledges that fact about his holiness, King Albert.

You're correct in the fact that it seems the media rarely get on him, but then again, what basis do they really have to call him out.  He is having a pedestrian year by his normal standards but for just about any other player it would still be a very good/great year.  He's top 5, top 10 in every catagory except homeruns.  Perhaps the media fear that if they called him out they'd just come off as having an axe to grind...

I do agree with you on pitching being the greatest need.  That meltdown on Saturday night was just painful, all the more so because you just KNEW it was coming. 

Well there you go. If your an ass kisser like Al Hrabosky, Dan McLaughlin or a member of the print media, you don't "call him out". You don't even mention the fact that his numbers are off compared to his overall career.

Biggus Punkus

« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2008, 01:52:49 PM »

Biggus Punkus

« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2008, 02:01:13 PM »
I admit it.  By his "almost greatest first seven years in the history of baseball" standard, his RBI production is down.  But I just think on the Cardinals' "to do list," worrying about his RBI production shouldn't be that high on the list.  Besides, what are you going to do, bench him?  Make him run gassers.  Spend a week in Springfield?  It'll come back.  Does anybody seriously think he isn't trying to drive in runs?  But they DO have the ability to do something about their pitching, especiallly relief. I just worry the GM thinks he needs to get another stick worse than better pitching.

No, just mentioning it on air or in the newspaper (for once) would be a start.

Bernie Miklasz wants Barry Bonds. Just be glad he's ONLY a writer and not the GM. Talk about fouling up a team attitude. Just put that pompous SoB in the clubhouse and watch the attitude head south.

Offline turtleman

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2008, 12:20:47 PM »
I for one believe we have seen the best of mr poothole.  Injuries will continue to effect his game in years to come.  He will be good but nothing near the caliber of "best ever player".

The cards will finish 3rd in the central this year and even worse next year.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2008, 10:33:20 PM »
I for one believe we have seen the best of mr poothole.  Injuries will continue to effect his game in years to come.  He will be good but nothing near the caliber of "best ever player".

The cards will finish 3rd in the central this year and even worse next year.

???

It was tough to read all the logic in your post. 

To get this thread back on track, somebody needs to queueueue the '05 NLCS Game 5 pic.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2008, 12:40:08 AM »
[yt=425,350]dqy4N-PyrVM[/yt]

:beer:

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2008, 10:53:14 AM »
I don't know if it's floating around on the Interwebs anywhere but during the game, and after on SportsCenter, there's a great replay shot from the 3rd base camera looking across the field into the Astros dugout and Andy Petit has this look of awe on his face and clearly mouths "Oh aMm!" whiles he's watching it arc over the stupid choo-choo train. 

Biggus Punkus

« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2008, 01:14:50 PM »
Anyone else ever have their picture made with Albert? ;) I'm the guy under the white arrow. 05/09/2005.

Offline boomer_sooie

• Boar
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2008, 01:22:06 PM »
[yt=425,350]dqy4N-PyrVM[/yt]

:beer:

I hate that mother fricker.

Offline Jar2

• Yankee Proud
  • A Shoat
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »
I hate that mother fricker.
Boo-hoo.  You won the series.  Let it go, man.

Offline Sipowicz

• A Shoat
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2008, 07:49:09 PM »
Don't forget Ty Cobb

From wiki:

After enduring several years of seeing his fame and notoriety usurped by Ruth, Cobb decided that he was going to show that swinging for the fences was no challenge for a top hitter. On May 5, 1925, Cobb began a two-game hitting spree better than any even Ruth had unleashed. He was sitting in the dugout talking to a reporter and told him that, for the first time in his career, he was going to swing for the fences. That day, Cobb went 6 for 6, with two singles, a double, and three home runs.[57] His 16 total bases set a new AL record. The next day he had three more hits, two of which were home runs. His single his first time up gave him 9 consecutive hits over three games. His five homers in two games tied the record set by Cap Anson of the old Chicago NL team in 1884.[57] Cobb wanted to show that he could hit home runs when he wanted, but simply chose not to do so. At the end of the series, 38-year-old Cobb had gone 12 for 19 with 29 total bases, and then went happily back to bunting and hitting-and-running. For his part, Ruth's attitude was that "I could have had a lifetime .600 average, but I would have had to hit them singles. The people were paying to see me hit home runs."

Offline Deja Vu

• President of Leo Propst Fan Club
  • King of the Hogs
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2008, 08:00:21 PM »
Don't forget Ty Cobb

From wiki:

After enduring several years of seeing his fame and notoriety usurped by Ruth, Cobb decided that he was going to show that swinging for the fences was no challenge for a top hitter. On May 5, 1925, Cobb began a two-game hitting spree better than any even Ruth had unleashed. He was sitting in the dugout talking to a reporter and told him that, for the first time in his career, he was going to swing for the fences. That day, Cobb went 6 for 6, with two singles, a double, and three home runs.[57] His 16 total bases set a new AL record. The next day he had three more hits, two of which were home runs. His single his first time up gave him 9 consecutive hits over three games. His five homers in two games tied the record set by Cap Anson of the old Chicago NL team in 1884.[57] Cobb wanted to show that he could hit home runs when he wanted, but simply chose not to do so. At the end of the series, 38-year-old Cobb had gone 12 for 19 with 29 total bases, and then went happily back to bunting and hitting-and-running. For his part, Ruth's attitude was that "I could have had a lifetime .600 average, but I would have had to hit them singles. The people were paying to see me hit home runs."

You're doing it wrong.

I'm perplexed by the negative feedback. I just don't get it. What's wrong with you?

No, why are ya'll going through my myspace and stuff, obsessive??

Offline Jar2

• Yankee Proud
  • A Shoat
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2008, 08:45:26 PM »
That shitty Albert Pujols going for 3 hits, 1 BB, a couple of runs, and raising his average to .354, and helping the Cardinals to 9 11 runs so far this evening.

Better warm up the ol' typewriter Root.  The P-D is gonna need another "Letter to the Editor" criticizing Alberts lousy season thus far.

Biggus Punkus

« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »
That shitty Albert Pujols going for 3 hits, 1 BB, a couple of runs, and raising his average to .354, and helping the Cardinals to 9 11 runs so far this evening.

Better warm up the ol' typewriter Root.  The P-D is gonna need another "Letter to the Editor" criticizing Alberts lousy season thus far.

Where's all those RBIs?  Maybe he ought to be the lead-off man. It's about time he broke that  0-4, 1-4 streak. By the way...that was an email to Sound Off. Remember, this is 2008 and I have a wireless connection with the Post-Dispatch. I got me one of them routers and everthang, JarJar. 8-)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:57:20 PM by Root.66 »

Offline Jar2

• Yankee Proud
  • A Shoat
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2008, 08:58:15 PM »
Where's all those RBIs?  Maybe he ought to be the lead-off man. It's about time he broke that  0-4, 1-4 streak.

The Cardinals have 12 LOB tonight.  ZERO credited to Pujols.

He sucks.

Offline Jar2

• Yankee Proud
  • A Shoat
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2008, 09:01:14 PM »
It's about time he broke that  0-4, 1-4 streak.

Yeah, that mind numbing TWO game streak of games without multiple hits.

You need to up your Geritol dosage.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 21 queries.