Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The annual Pujols is the best player ever thread  (Read 125608 times)

Offline Dr. HawgLove

• That's Dr. Merkwerdichliebe to you
  • Tush Hog
  • Just look at the big board.
Re: The annual Pujols is the best player ever thread
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2008, 12:53:18 PM »
Cub fan chiming in.  Pujols is the best player in the game, today.  Comparing players from other decades is an unwinnable argument.  Ruth only played day games, pitchers would still be in the game after 200 pitches, players did not train so they weren't as athletic, etc.  Pujols gets to hit a brand new ball every pitch, Ruth may see the same ball in the 4th inning they were using in the first, Pujols has the advantage of a lighter bat, weight training, year round sport specific training, etc.

In my opinion, you put Ruth in this era, with weight training, sport specific training, smaller ballparks, and such and he hits 100 HR's a year, and has over 200 RBI every year.  The man was a complete freak of nature.  Gretsky is the closest comparison at having a beamonesque career like Ruth did.

I would love to have him playing 2nd base full time for the Cubs.

Or he might be a meth head.  From everything I've read he had a very addictive personality.  I agree that Pujols is the best now, not A-Rod.  A-Rod may have an advantage in the field, although I have seen he make some boneheaded plays.  With a 4 run lead A-Rod is very good at the plate, but with 2 out tied or down a run, A-Rod chokes on his own tongue.
"God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural fluids."

"I think you're some kind of deviated prevert. I think general Ripper found out about your prevertion, and you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts."

"she's shitting quite a tail, there......."

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2008, 02:13:32 PM »
I can compare the fact that Babe Ruth pitched also besides hitting. Pujols is a great hitter no doubt but he's not stealing games defensively like Mays did. Best ever is a long ways away from being given to him. If he maintains this type of average and breaks the all time HR record maybe we can talk.

So if Pujols hits a career .330 and 800 home runs, then we talk about him being the best player ever?

Thanks, this is good to know.  Why stop at those numbers?  He might as well up his batting average to .350 and hit 1,000 home runs.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2008, 03:17:32 PM »
So if Pujols hits a career .330 and 800 home runs, then we talk about him being the best player ever?

Thanks, this is good to know.  Why stop at those numbers?  He might as well up his batting average to .350 and hit 1,000 home runs.

Well if you anoint someone the greatest ever who's primarily a slugger then yeah his numbers should be legendary not merely great. In this offense crazy era a guy like Pujols should be able to put up career numbers that measure up against Aaron, Ruth and Bonds. You don't even know if his career will fall off like Griffey Jr who I remember being teh hotness not that long ago in conversations like this.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 04:22:24 PM by Pumpkin Escobar »
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2008, 03:50:36 PM »
Well if you anoint someone the greatest ever who's primarily a slugger then yeah his numbers should be legendary not merely great. In this offense crazy era and guy like Pujols should be able to put up career numbers that measure up against Aaron, Ruth and Bonds. You don't even know if his career will fall off like Griffey Jr who I remember being teh hotness not that long ago in conversations like this.
Griffey's injuries severely hampered him...  He's still going to get 600 HR's though. That says a lot.

If he had won a ring or two along the way, we'd be saying he might be one of the best ever.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2008, 06:57:39 PM »
Well if you anoint someone the greatest ever who's primarily a slugger then yeah his numbers should be legendary not merely great. In this offense crazy era a guy like Pujols should be able to put up career numbers that measure up against Aaron, Ruth and Bonds. You don't even know if his career will fall off like Griffey Jr who I remember being teh hotness not that long ago in conversations like this.

I haven't annointed Pujols.  He still needs 3 more years, at least.  But many baseball people will point out DiMaggio when they talk about the best player ever, and Pujols is the first player since him to put up similar numbers from the outset of his career for an extended period of time.

And, if Griffey Jr can play 4 more seasons injury free (I know, a big stretch) he will have as good of numbers as anyone to ever play the game, save Barroid, Aaron, and Ruth.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline MoPork

• Boar
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2008, 01:46:26 PM »
IMHO, the best player ever was Babe Ruth.  The man was a good pitcher and a great hitter, something none of the others can hang their hat on.  I'd have to go with Willie Mays as #2.

Offline Jar2

• Yankee Proud
  • A Shoat
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2008, 04:34:11 PM »
Young people...

::)

Pujols isn't even the greatest StL Cardinals player yet. 

Musial.  Heard of him?

can't believe you even took the time to write that

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2008, 06:31:47 PM »
Young people...

Musial.  Heard of him?

apparently not

Online Hog X

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2008, 06:35:06 PM »
Young people...

Musial.  Heard of him?

No.  Isn't that a wall painting?

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2008, 07:40:19 PM »
Young people...

Musial.  Heard of him?

Rogers Hornsby wasn't exactly a scrub either.

Offline bigghurtt

• An elder statesman of nonsense, if you will.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2008, 08:54:41 PM »
Rogers Hornsby wasn't exactly a scrub either.

I know this discussion never includes pitchers, but Mr Gibson wants in the talks.
This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Online ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2008, 03:01:16 PM »
Regarding rule changes and their effect on Ruth's HR totals ...

* Prior to 1931, a fair ball bouncing into the bleachers was a home run.  This helped Ruth.

* Up until about the same time, a fair ball when it crossed the fence in the air was not a homer unless it landed in the bleachers on the "fair" side or was "last seen fair" when disapppearing from view.  Sometimes a stadium would have a second foul pole in line with the first to assist the umpire.  Sometimes, a rope was strung between them to further assist the ump.  Look to the right in this pic of the Polo Grounds in 1917.

This obviously hurt Ruth, some say to the tune of 50-75 HR's over his carear.  Apparently, his 60th homer in 1927 was contriversial because some thought it curved around the pole and landed "foul."

*  Up until the 20's, a walk off homer wouldn't be a homer if the runners scoring ahead of the hitter were enough to win the game.  Thus, down one, a grandslam would be scored a double since the guy on second ended the game when he crossed home.  This cost Ruth one homer.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »
I tell you what cost Ruth a lot of homers....pitching all those years that's what. Imagine how many homers he would of had if he had been a position player from the start.

Online ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »
Not that it equals pitching three wins in Workd Series or anything but ...

....did anyone else see Pujols score the winning run last night from second base on a simple ground out to second?

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Superer Mod
  • Administrator
  • A Shoat
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2008, 01:17:59 PM »
Not that it equals pitching three wins in Workd Series or anything but ...

....did anyone else see Pujols score the winning run last night from second base on a simple ground out to second?

I am very much on record as saying Pujols is my favorite current player, and he was definitely out on that play last night, but it definitely took guts to do what he did.  My favorite part was how he "deeked" everybody right before that play.  He was almost picked off; got up limping; took timeout to stretch it out, and then scores from second on a groundout.  Pretty cool.  Now, if Derrick Lee could get some of the calls Pujols is starting to get, my favorite team would be more successful.  Do the umpires not understand that when a brother is 6' 6", his knees are higher than the average strike zone?

Online ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2008, 02:16:04 PM »
I am very much on record as saying Pujols is my favorite current player, and he was definitely out on that play last night, but it definitely took guts to do what he did.  My favorite part was how he "deeked" everybody right before that play.  He was almost picked off; got up limping; took timeout to stretch it out, and then scores from second on a groundout.  Pretty cool.  Now, if Derrick Lee could get some of the calls Pujols is starting to get, my favorite team would be more successful.  Do the umpires not understand that when a brother is 6' 6", his knees are higher than the average strike zone?

The guys on TV first said he was out, then backed offf a bit looking at the replay.  He's definitely getting tagged on the arm there, the question was whether his lead foot had already touching the plate.  But he was probably out.

Of course, that call pales to the one made at home an inning or two before, costing the Cardinals at least one run.  That guy still hasn't tagged Molina, who, unlike Pujols, executed a nice fadaway slide into foul territory and away from the cather's reach.  I think the old ump decided the ball got there in plenty of time and assumed Molina was a dead duck.

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Superer Mod
  • Administrator
  • A Shoat
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »
The guys on TV first said he was out, then backed offf a bit looking at the replay.  He's definitely getting tagged on the arm there, the question was whether his lead foot had already touching the plate.  But he was probably out.

Of course, that call pales to the one made at home an inning or two before, costing the Cardinals at least one run.  That guy still hasn't tagged Molina, who, unlike Pujols, executed a nice fadaway slide into foul territory and away from the cather's reach.  I think the old ump decided the ball got there in plenty of time and assumed Molina was a dead duck.

The worst call I've ever heard about was when that post it notes guy when duck hunting and he blew the duck call, and lo and behold up walked Bigfoot.  Danged if sasquatches weren't out of season, so he couldn't shoot him.

Offline Hogs Marching

• A Shoat
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2008, 01:04:36 AM »
If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.

Offline Hawgwild8988

• Boar
  • e pluribus sooie
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2008, 01:21:52 AM »

Offline bigghurtt

• An elder statesman of nonsense, if you will.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2008, 01:32:45 AM »
Scary moment in the Padres game. :o
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200805222746276

Sometimes, I wonder if I am really as much of an asshole as I come off as.

Then, about 15-20 seconds into this video that pitcher turns to the camera with blood streaming down his face, and I went into hysterical laughter.

At least I have staggeringly good looks, a ridiculous well of intelligence and deep-seated humility to carry me through life.
This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2008, 02:24:28 AM »
Pujols also fricked up the catcher's ankle as he slid home right after that.

Razorgasm

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2008, 07:32:06 AM »
He needs to save those player take-outs for the fricking cubs.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2008, 12:16:33 PM »
Agreed.

Offline boomer_sooie

• Boar
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2008, 01:04:43 PM »

Don't worry about the Cubs, worry about Big Puma (Berkmann) and the surging 'Stros

Offline piggus diccus

• Boar
  • Imagine a world without hypothetical situations
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2008, 02:58:10 PM »
The man snaps catcher's ankles like dry kindlin'

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 20 queries.