Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Tour de Lance rides again  (Read 30835 times)

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• Are You Not Entertained?
  • King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
Re: The Tour de Lance rides again
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2009, 12:46:59 AM »
crap! I was hoping his injuries weren't too bad..,I was really lookin forward to seein how he would do in the Tour

Tomorrow looks like a fun stage with some a couple nice climbs at the end of the stage.  :)

Btw...idk how behind I am, but did you hear Vandevelde got a 2 year ban for doping?

I heard it was just in Italy.
I'm just a dark guy from a den of iniquity.

Don't go away mad.  Just go away.

Offline hogsgrl6

• A Shoat
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2009, 02:53:13 PM »
I heard it was just in Italy.
crap you're right, I read it wrong. I dont see why it wouldn't effect other races though

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2009, 06:07:29 PM »
crap you're right, I read it wrong. I dont see why it wouldn't effect other races though

it might just yet.  i expect that it will.

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2009, 12:00:06 AM »

Offline Ruddy Stormwater

• Tush Hog
  • Grude!!!!
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2009, 12:19:40 PM »
Lance was dropped big time today.
Get outside guys... The world is cool.

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2009, 05:08:28 PM »
Lance was dropped big time today.

he said he had hoped to finish within two minutes, which he didn't.  Bruyneel said it was a good result, though.

Offline hogsgrl6

• A Shoat
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2009, 08:18:45 PM »
he said he had hoped to finish within two minutes, which he didn't.  Bruyneel said it was a good result, though.
Bruyneel seems pretty happy either way. You gotta consider the guy is doing this out of coming out of retirment, at 37, and after a big wreck w/ surgery. He's beastly no matter what happens at the giro.

btw a nice quote from Lance about Levi:
"I'm happy about Levi's perfomance. If I was an Italian favorite and had no advantage on Levi before Cinque Terra (ed. time trial) I would not sleep well...."

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2009, 11:42:58 PM »
I just found this article about Julich from 1998's Tour, one of the most notorious.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/cycling/1998/tourdefrance/news/1998/07/22/julich_lemond/

He was on the same Motorolla squad as Armstrong and a lot of the guys that ended up carrying Lemond's torch into a new generation where Americans are well represented in the European pelloton.

I always wondered why Julich was never given another shot at GC in the Tour.  He could climb and time trial with the best of them.  It also bums me out that Hamilton turned into a dope monkey.  We're talking about a guy who was good enough to give Armstrong splits in ITTs that stood until Ullrich went out.  And he could climb and protect Lance in the mountains.

Oh well.

I think that Lance will give a really good performance in the Giro in the third week.  Right now, I think that Levi is just a whole lot to frick with.  Popo rode really well today and Horner was dynamite.  If Levi is in top 5 or 6 going into the final time trial then no lead is safe.  If he's top 3 then the race might be his.  The guy doesn't have the killer instinct, but he'll be solid and steady.  After last year's vuelta, I think that the Giro might finally be the time it pays off.  Of course, there is the little trouble of Ivan the Terrible thrown into the mix.

Offline hogsgrl6

• A Shoat
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2009, 07:24:59 PM »
looks like Team Astana may not be Team Astana for long.

http://www.johanbruyneel.com/blog.html

There's no way they won't find a sponser for someone like Lance and Levi.

Offline dixiecupdrinker

• Is better than 3-17
  • Boar
  • Roy Berry is my hero
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »
looks like Team Astana may not be Team Astana for long.

http://www.johanbruyneel.com/blog.html

There's no way they won't find a sponser for someone like Lance and Levi.

Lets gets some donations a have Team Woopig

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2009, 03:24:26 PM »
Lets gets some donations a have Team Woopig

i'd rather call it "team stinkhole."

Offline hogsgrl6

• A Shoat
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2009, 03:49:08 PM »
i'd rather call it "team stinkhole."
I'll pass on that one

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2009, 10:23:33 PM »
according to Bruyneel, Horner, and Carmichael Lance is riding into form.

Levi is a monster so far.

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2009, 12:57:01 AM »
The longest stage of the Giro is done, with the climb up Sestriere being on the stage.  This is the same mountain where in 1999 Lance won his first mountain stage in the tour, absolutely devastating the pelloton.

Today, Lance rode hard and was only 29 seconds off of stage winner and Maglia Rosa Daniel DiLuca.  Levi and Basso finished in the same group with Lance after Armstrong caught their chase group on one of the final descents.  Many covering the race and riders in the pelloton commented on Armstrong's seeming return to form.  After a somewhat disappointing, but nonetheless admirable performance in the mountains in the first week that saw the Texan lose minutes to the GC contenders, the climbing on the tenth stage demonstrated that Mellow Johnny is fast becoming the rider that he was before his retirement over three years ago.  Leipheimer in particular mentioned that his fellow Astana teammate's progress was eye-opening.  "Anyone notice who's getting their old form back," he wrote on his twitter page following the race.

Some in the press have called Armstrong's progress "dramatic" and a clear omen that his fortune in July are good.

Astana manager Johann Bruyneel was also pleased with the progress that his 7-time Tour de France champion made since his collar bone fracture in March.  " ?I?ve seen clear progress with Lance. Today was a clear sign that it is getting better and better with him.  Definitely much better than the first mountain stages. That?'s what we hoped for.  The pedal stroke during the race becomes very good.  Honestly, I think it is good that he lost that time in the first two mountaion stages because the expectations were way too high from everybody and maybe at the end from himself. It'?s already a little miracle that he is at the start of the Giro. Once he was out of the GC contention, it was better for him not to stress any more for every second. He also needed such long stages as today."

While Leipheimer's performance in the tenth stage was a strong one, it has left many questioning his chances for the overall.  However, with Thursday's long and technical individual time trial, the Astana leader is still in a position to claim the race lead before the last week of racing begins.  Levi is one of the best in the world against the clock.  He also has the added benefit of having the splits of Armstrong to ride for in the stage.

Offline razor9

• A Shoat
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2009, 02:38:44 AM »

"The longest stage of the Giro is done, with the climb up Sestriere being on the stage.  This is the same mountain where in 1999 Lance won his first mountain stage in the tour, absolutely devastating the pelloton."

“EPO all in my veins; Lately things just don’t seem the same; Actin’ funny, but I don’t know why; ’Scuse me while I pass this guy.”

David Zabriskie

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »
"The longest stage of the Giro is done, with the climb up Sestriere being on the stage.  This is the same mountain where in 1999 Lance won his first mountain stage in the tour, absolutely devastating the pelloton."

what a great stage.  Before that nobody knew what Lance could do in the mountains.  He won all of the ITTs that year, the first guy in a long time to do it, but he was a big question mark in the Alps and Pyrennes.  He showed on that day that cancer made him a climbing extraordinaire. 

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2009, 10:08:31 PM »
Today's stage was mostly flat with Lance leading the pelloton's pace into the final stretch.  Cavendish won the mass sprint (again) with Tyler Farrar of Garmin and the USA taking second to him (again).

Levi crashed, which might hurt his chances in the ITT.  Di Luca said today that Lance was looking better and better and should be a favorite to win the Tour again.

Lance, Popo, and Leipheimer should start racing tomorrow a little after 10 am I think.  Lance is at 16th place so will be starting 16th to last, while Popo will go after him, and then Levi fourth to last.  Depending on how good his legs are (he says they're good) and how much work he's put into it, Lance should give a top ten performance and might be a darkhorse to pull it out.  He's still a question mark in the TT to this point.  Levi, on the other hand, is the best in the world at it right now having got the bronze in the Olympics and winning 3 out of 4 that he's raced in this year.

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2009, 10:13:46 AM »
Popo has made a move before today's final climb.  He's away at the lead on the final descent before the last climb.  Astana has about five guys out in front.  Looks like they're going to make a move if Levi can get back in after his puncture.

Offline hogsgrl6

• A Shoat
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2009, 08:08:47 PM »
awesome! Popo is my favorite cyclist out right now. He makes Astana complete IMO

btw...I haven't been able to keep up at all...but is there some controversy with team Cervelo?

thanks again for the updates TCT

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2009, 01:09:28 PM »
awesome! Popo is my favorite cyclist out right now. He makes Astana complete IMO

btw...I haven't been able to keep up at all...but is there some controversy with team Cervelo?

thanks again for the updates TCT

A couple of days ago, the Cervelo Test Team had a guy on a break who was going to win the stage, but the DS called him back to help out Sastre.  Most think that Sastre was fine and didn't need the help.  It probably motivated Sastre to jump out yesterday and take the stage win away from Popo.

Also, Levi popped bad on yesterday's final climb.  Armstrong was going to make a move for the win, but had to slow to pace Levi up the mountain.  Menchov said that LA looked great and would "put on a big show" in July.

Offline dixiecupdrinker

• Is better than 3-17
  • Boar
  • Roy Berry is my hero
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2009, 12:55:09 AM »
Thanks for the updates. I expected very little from LA in july but now, Im not so sure.

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2009, 01:18:02 AM »
A relatively short stage is on tap, but it has an uphill finish.  If Lance is feeling it I expect him to go in one of the final stages.  I think that he wants a win real bad and really wants to test his legs.  If he can get a temp going for Levi Astana might be able to make some noise.  Their last stage was real disappointing what with Popo being in position to win and Levi's chances at overall disappearing.

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2009, 09:45:07 AM »
Cervelo is at the front of the pelloton to chase down the break group up Blockhaus.  Menchov and some Rabobank guys are up their too.  Another guy in a black helmet and Astana gear is near the front of the group of well...

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2009, 10:05:41 AM »
Sastre, Menchov, Di Luca, Basso, and the Texan are starting to put their stamp on it at the base of Blockhaus.

And Armstrong has attacked.

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2009, 12:40:12 PM »
Lance went after Pellizotti too early and got caught in no man's land.  Pellizotti took the stage win with Di Luca, Menchov, and Basso finishing about a minute later.  Sastre and Armstrong's group came in after them with Lance getting tenth on the stage.  Levi was able to catch up to the Sastre LA group as well.  For awhile, it looked like Lance was putting it on Sastre pretty bad, but they rode strong together.

Armstrong showed some signs of past brilliance today, but jumped the gun.  Not bad for an old fricker whose been retired and is two months past a broken clavicle.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 20 queries.