Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Yet another reason my kid will not be allowed to play American football  (Read 35324 times)

Offline Rick B.

• Boar
Re: Yet another reason my kid will not be allowed to play American football
« Reply #350 on: November 30, 2016, 12:00:40 PM »
Football has been great for my 9th grader. He has gotten tougher, stronger, and he has learned how to work hard and not quit.  The lessons he has learned have been great. We know the risks and will allow him to play, but one concussion and that is probably it. I will say that I believe youth football (pre 7th grade) is worthless. The coaching is mostly worthless if not dangerous and there is very little carryover to high school football.  The fastest kid dominates.  A lot of those kids are out of the game by 9th grade.  My kid played two seasons of youth football.  If I could do it over he would have started playing in 7th grade.

Just speaking of sport in general, I wish I wouldn't have started Garrett off so early.  He was playing coach pitch softball (skipped T-ball) at the age of 4 or 5.  He finally burned out on baseball when he was 12.  He played football from 10 til just before junior high at Chaffin.  He was decent but so small compared to the rest of his teammates and quit.  Now, he barely even has any passing interest in sports at all.  Doesn't care to go to Razorback games with us, regardless of sport.  He's actually playing in our friends and family Fantasy Football league and has done pretty well but other than that, he just doesn't care anymore.  Kinda makes me sad.  But, he loves band and is a total academic freak.  He, however, LOVES golf.  And he's really damn good for 14.  I keep trying to talk him into going out for the golf team.  He might in the spring.  I hope he does. 

Offline kingofdequeen

• Boar
  • Business Ethics expert.
« Reply #351 on: November 30, 2016, 12:55:05 PM »
Just speaking of sport in general, I wish I wouldn't have started Garrett off so early.  He was playing coach pitch softball (skipped T-ball) at the age of 4 or 5.  He finally burned out on baseball when he was 12.  He played football from 10 til just before junior high at Chaffin.  He was decent but so small compared to the rest of his teammates and quit.  Now, he barely even has any passing interest in sports at all.  Doesn't care to go to Razorback games with us, regardless of sport.  He's actually playing in our friends and family Fantasy Football league and has done pretty well but other than that, he just doesn't care anymore.  Kinda makes me sad.  But, he loves band and is a total academic freak.  He, however, LOVES golf.  And he's really damn good for 14.  I keep trying to talk him into going out for the golf team.  He might in the spring.  I hope he does.

academic golf freaks are scum.  never amount to shit.  paper bitches.
When did you stop beating your gay lover?

Offline notaslibro

• Super Mod
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
  • Strict No Tolerance Palsy
« Reply #352 on: November 30, 2016, 12:59:21 PM »

How is your school's theater program?

Offline kingofdequeen

• Boar
  • Business Ethics expert.
« Reply #353 on: November 30, 2016, 01:02:41 PM »
When did you stop beating your gay lover?

Offline Razor B

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #354 on: November 30, 2016, 02:09:11 PM »
I'm not sure what kind of toll this took, but I'd hate to have this done to me:

I would have hated to have to play for the Browns too.

Offline bogeyfree

• A Shoat
« Reply #355 on: November 30, 2016, 02:28:44 PM »
Keep him playing golf, it's an amazing game and it's a damn good way to get at least part of a college education paid for fairly easily in comparison to some other sports.  It's generally good for business too as I'm sure you're aware.  I love to hear about kids who get hooked by the game, it's the most satisfying game I've ever played when you win but you can never perfect it.  Even at my 'advanced' age I can still play competitively with people 25 years younger.

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #356 on: November 30, 2016, 02:32:02 PM »
I never played "youth" football.  I learned how to catch, throw, juke, tackle, tip toe the sideline, read space and blockers, and all that other good shit playing in the rocky cow pasture behind my grandparents house in Boone County and in the street in front of my mom's house (we made yard lines and endzones in the street using busted up sheetrock we stolt). Lo and behold I show up for 8th grade football practice and I was the best player on the field. Granted, I didn't know how to put my pads on, but still.

I'm of the opinion that my son won't play in pee wee foosball leagues. There's really no sense in strapping on pads and restricting a kid's ability to learn a freedom of movement (pickup basketball helps too). Playing the game is key, and "playing" is the operative word. It's fun.
Consider the source.

Offline EastArkHog

• Didn't win the Nobel Peace Prize
  • Tush Hog
    • http://wulffmorgenthaler.com
« Reply #357 on: November 30, 2016, 02:43:42 PM »
I would have hated to have to play for the Browns too.

That one is pretty bad but, I still remember the one Hamlin laid out

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life....

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #358 on: November 30, 2016, 03:01:16 PM »
I never played "youth" football.  I learned how to catch, throw, juke, tackle, tip toe the sideline, read space and blockers, and all that other good shit playing in the rocky cow pasture behind my grandparents house in Boone County and in the street in front of my mom's house (we made yard lines and endzones in the street using busted up sheetrock we stolt). Lo and behold I show up for 8th grade football practice and I was the best player on the field. Granted, I didn't know how to put my pads on, but still.

I'm of the opinion that my son won't play in pee wee foosball leagues. There's really no sense in strapping on pads and restricting a kid's ability to learn a freedom of movement (pickup basketball helps too). Playing the game is key, and "playing" is the operative word. It's fun.

**Disclaimer: At the corner bar drinking beers currently
Consider the source.

Offline Rick B.

• Boar
« Reply #359 on: November 30, 2016, 03:05:16 PM »
Keep him playing golf, it's an amazing game and it's a damn good way to get at least part of a college education paid for fairly easily in comparison to some other sports.  It's generally good for business too as I'm sure you're aware.  I love to hear about kids who get hooked by the game, it's the most satisfying game I've ever played when you win but you can never perfect it.  Even at my 'advanced' age I can still play competitively with people 25 years younger.

The best part of golf right now for me is that if he and I play a little game of football together with his friends, I could hurt one of them.  And in basketball, I can still run circles around him.  He's 15 next month.  But in golf, he can legitimately beat me!  And we love to go play together.  We'll just goof off and play a 2 man scramble and count how many times we use his ball vs. mine.  And he hits from the regular tee boxes instead of the kids/ladies tee boxes.  I've seen him whack a 200 yard drive straight down the middle several times.  His short game sucks but that's fixable.  It's great father-son time.  In fact, we're going Friday afternoon as soon as he gets out of school.  Squeeze in 9 holes before it gets dark.  We're members of Deer Trails Golf Club in Barling out at Fort Chaffee.  Neat little 9 hole course. 

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #360 on: December 01, 2016, 01:01:39 AM »

One of the best things about football up here is you don't have be on a travel team by age 10 in order to play in high school.  Because they don't have "travel" football teams to my knowledge.  I see 8-9 year olds practicing in full pads a lot, and I just think it's a waste of time, or more likely, done for the parents instead of the kids.  Football is one sport that you can just be an athlete, step in around age 12-13, and not have to worry about being behind in terms of mechanics or knowledge of the game.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• A wacked out, east Arkansan turned well-to-do Ferndale-ite
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hammer of The Gods.
« Reply #361 on: December 01, 2016, 09:17:19 PM »
One of the best things about football up here is you don't have be on a travel team by age 10 in order to play in high school.  Because they don't have "travel" football teams to my knowledge.  I see 8-9 year olds practicing in full pads a lot, and I just think it's a waste of time, or more likely, done for the parents instead of the kids.  Football is one sport that you can just be an athlete, step in around age 12-1317-18, and not have to worry about being behind in terms of mechanics or knowledge of the game.

I know it's not typical, but my senior year we had an exchange student from Denmark.   He had never played football, but was a soccer guy.  He wanted to try kicking for us.  He was the best I've ever seen, ever.  He routinely split the uprights on kickoffs, and by a wide margin.  He also never missed a field goal or extra point.  Coach felt comfortable when we crossed the  40 that he was in range.  He was offered multiple D1 scholarships but declined, only to go back home and be a stupid neurosurgeon.

We also had a guy who tried out the same year(in a school our size, that also meant you were on the team) and he had never played.  Coach put him at linebacker, and he was just a magnificent bastard at finding the ball and killing people.  Our first two scrimmages he had something like 35 tackles.  Unfortunately, he couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the "c" and the "t" and was deemed academically ineligible.  He quit high school because of that.
Regular guy.

That's me.

Offline muslimsdonteatme

• Blasphemer with a penchant for excess.
  • Administrator
  • Boar
  • Thunderbolt of Flaming Wisdom
« Reply #362 on: December 02, 2016, 06:14:57 AM »
I never played "youth" football.  I learned how to catch, throw, juke, tackle, tip toe the sideline, read space and blockers, and all that other good shit playing in the rocky cow pasture behind my grandparents house in Boone County and in the street in front of my mom's house (we made yard lines and endzones in the street using busted up sheetrock we stolt). Lo and behold I show up for 8th grade football practice and I was the best player on the field.

This is a high quality post.

Offline Tusk till Dawn

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #363 on: December 03, 2016, 08:25:27 AM »

if coach would've put me in ... we coulda won state ...
Consider the source.

Online Mike Slive

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #364 on: January 13, 2017, 09:22:54 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/bo-jackson-never-would-have-played-football-if-hed-known-of-risks-193221836.html

“If I had known back then what I know now, I would have never played football. Never,” Jackson said in a wide-ranging interview with USA Today. “I wish I had known about all of those head injuries, but no one knew that. And the people that did know that, they wouldn’t tell anybody.”

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #365 on: January 13, 2017, 09:36:02 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/bo-jackson-never-would-have-played-football-if-hed-known-of-risks-193221836.html

“If I had known back then what I know now, I would have never played football. Never,” Jackson said in a wide-ranging interview with USA Today. “I wish I had known about all of those head injuries, but no one knew that. And the people that did know that, they wouldn’t tell anybody.”

Yeah, well what does Bo know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BASS

• The Philosophical Woopigga
  • King of the Hogs
  • Fuck The Man
« Reply #366 on: January 14, 2017, 11:21:28 AM »
Yeah, well what does Bo know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

didley
After that 56-3 beatdown by Auburn Saturday he will be known only as Bert until he wins an SEC title.  That is the only way he gets back in teh good graces enough to be called by the name his momma gave him.

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #367 on: January 14, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »
Football has been great for my 9th grader. He has gotten tougher, stronger, and he has learned how to work hard and not quit.  The lessons he has learned have been great. We know the risks and will allow him to play, but one concussion and that is probably it. I will say that I believe youth football (pre 7th grade) is worthless. The coaching is mostly worthless if not dangerous and there is very little carryover to high school football.  The fastest kid dominates.  A lot of those kids are out of the game by 9th grade.  My kid played two seasons of youth football.  If I could do it over he would have started playing in 7th grade.

My son is starting 7th grade and he's going to play, and I'm fine with it.  I'm just as worried about him getting tagged by a fastball in the face when he plays baseball.

The HS that he will go to went 11-1 and won the league championship (a multistate private school conference called the Southwest Prepatory Conference) this year.  Interestingly, this was the first season they did not have any full contact practices the entire season.  Blocking, tackling, etc was practiced on dummies, etc but not live. I thought it was a horrible idea until I saw the results.  They really didn't have major injuries all season.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #368 on: January 14, 2017, 02:59:02 PM »
My son is starting 7th grade and he's going to play, and I'm fine with it.  I'm just as worried about him getting tagged by a fastball in the face when he plays baseball.

The HS that he will go to went 11-1 and won the league championship (a multistate private school conference called the Southwest Prepatory Conference) this year.  Interestingly, this was the first season they did not have any full contact practices the entire season.  Blocking, tackling, etc was practiced on dummies, etc but not live. I thought it was a horrible idea until I saw the results.  They really didn't have major injuries all season.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/meet-john-gagliardi-the-89-year-old-football-coach-who-banned-tackling

Gagliardi never allowed full contact practices.  I think that would take a lot of the fun out of playing.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • Boar
« Reply #369 on: January 14, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/meet-john-gagliardi-the-89-year-old-football-coach-who-banned-tackling

Gagliardi never allowed full contact practices.  I think that would take a lot of the fun out of playing.

Ya, I dont know how you could get good at tackling, without... tackling. Most practice injuries I saw growing up were because one guy would be going half speed and another would be going full speed. Neither were wrong, it was just that grey area of practice where you dont know if you are supposed to take them to the ground or just wrap them up.
"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

Offline acater

• The Muchacho with the Couponas
  • Boar
« Reply #370 on: January 14, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »

My son finished his first year of football, 4th Grade. It was good for him, I was worried he would shy away from contact but he did pretty well. I have coached all his baseball teams but didnt have the time to coach on the football team, but watching your kid play football is a lot more fun than watching them play baseball, and I like baseball.
"I hate you Acater!"- Otis Kirk

Online Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #371 on: January 15, 2017, 01:57:51 PM »
My son finished his first year of football, 4th Grade. It was good for him, I was worried he would shy away from contact but he did pretty well. I have coached all his baseball teams but didnt have the time to coach on the football team, but watching your kid play football is a lot more fun than watching them play baseball, and I like baseball.

My son is a pitcher and usually pitched the first half of his team's games.  I always get a little stressed when he's pitching as he takes his bad days so hard.  He doesn't have many of them, but it really gets to him.

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
  • Stirke First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy
« Reply #372 on: January 15, 2017, 04:55:19 PM »
Baseball is more enjoyable to watch for me. Football is too damn stressful when your kid plays QB.  It's hard to enjoy any of it and that was just Jr High. 

My kid goes to Greenwood. They tackle very little and they are probably the hardest hitting team you will see in 6A.  They do a ton of tackling on dummies and pads though.
I got the glory, got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali, getting drunk on the reg. Fucking good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg, basically all the shit men fanta

Offline abypfcs

• King of the Hogs
  • Both my favorite teams are underdogs.
    • YPFCS
« Reply #373 on: January 16, 2017, 01:13:37 PM »
academic golf freaks are scum.  never amount to shit.  paper bitches.
Can't disagree with you, but I was not real academic.  Just a golf nerd that spent over 40 years working in the industry.

One good thing with learning to play golf at an early age is that it can be used for your entire life.  Not many 45 to 80 year olds playing football.

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 36 queries.