Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Van Horn's found his new pitching coach  (Read 1572 times)

Online The Pig in Black

• Woopig
  • Wild Hog
  • woopig.net
Van Horn's found his new pitching coach
« on: June 15, 2016, 12:42:01 PM »
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jun/15/sources-arkansas-hire-johnson-pitching-coach/

FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas is expected to hire Wes Johnson as an assistant baseball coach.
According to multiple sources, Johnson and his family met with Arkansas coach Dave Van Horn and some players Tuesday at Baum Stadium. Neither Arkansas nor Mississippi State has announced the hiring, but Johnson's Twitter account affiliated with Mississippi State has been deleted.
The Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger also reports Johnson will be hired at Arkansas.
Johnson, an Arkansas native, spent the past season as pitching coach at Mississippi State and the four seasons before that at Dallas Baptist. He will replace longtime Razorbacks pitching coach Dave Jorn, who resigned last month.
Johnson, 45, is a native of Sherwood and graduate from Sylvan Hills High School and UA-Monticello. He has had coaching jobs at three high schools and two colleges in the state, most recently at Central Arkansas from 2010-11.
At Mississippi State, Johnson helped lead one of college baseball's best turnarounds this season. After finishing last in the SEC last year, the Bulldogs won the SEC regular season championship and advanced to the NCAA super regionals.
Under Johnson, Mississippi State had a 2.51 team ERA, which was the seventh-lowest nationally. The Bulldogs' staff included Dakota Hudson, who transformed from a reliever into a 9-win starter and was selected by the St. Louis Cardinals in the first round of the MLB Draft.
Johnson came to Mississippi State after a successful stint at Dallas Baptist, where he helped the Patriots to four straight NCAA regional appearances and coached three pitchers who were named all-American by at least one publication.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
Re: Van Horn's found his new pitching coach
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 12:54:08 PM »
I'm sold.  Probably why Jorn, who was pretty successful, was fired.

Dallas Baptist, then 1 year at MSU, when they were finally good again, is good enough for me.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
  • Stirke First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 01:17:40 PM »
This is a grand slam.  He is on the cutting edge of pitching and velocity training.  His guys use techniques from the Texas Baseball Ranch, Driveline, and The Armory.  He understands spin rate and did a study on how to use a pitchers spin rate to maximize their effectiveness.  Most of the big young arms use one of the 3 companies I mentioned so that should also help us with recruiting.  We will now be using a very similar throwing program that Vandy uses. 
I got the glory, got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali, getting drunk on the reg. Fucking good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg, basically all the shit men fanta

Offline kingofdequeen

• Boar
  • Borderline Erótico
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 01:17:44 PM »
I'm sold.  Probably why Jorn, who was pretty successful, was fired.

Dallas Baptist, then 1 year at MSU, when they were finally good again, is good enough for me.

it's not even all that funny anymore.   
Mosquitos big enough to stand flat footed and buttfuck a turkey.

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 02:50:31 PM »
it's not even all that funny anymore.
He's even gone back to trolling the Baylor thread. Shameless.
It's impressive, really.

Offline Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Best baseball logo ever
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 03:20:51 PM »
This is a grand slam.  He is on the cutting edge of pitching and velocity training.  His guys use techniques from the Texas Baseball Ranch, Driveline, and The Armory.  He understands spin rate and did a study on how to use a pitchers spin rate to maximize their effectiveness.  Most of the big young arms use one of the 3 companies I mentioned so that should also help us with recruiting.  We will now be using a very similar throwing program that Vandy uses.
:thumbup:
Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

Offline NotHereToMakeSense

• A Shoat
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 03:33:37 PM »
This is a grand slam.  He is on the cutting edge of pitching and velocity training.  His guys use techniques from the Texas Baseball Ranch, Driveline, and The Armory.  He understands spin rate and did a study on how to use a pitchers spin rate to maximize their effectiveness.  Most of the big young arms use one of the 3 companies I mentioned so that should also help us with recruiting. We will now be using a very similar throwing program that Vandy uses.

He will do great as long as he doesn't use a similar swimming program that Vandy uses/used

Offline Stephen Colboar

• King of the Hogs
  • savage
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »
He will do great as long as he doesn't use a similar swimming program that Vandy uses/used
Jesus Christ.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 09:11:23 PM »
If it's possible, Miss St's fans are melting down as much as they could over a baseball asst coach.  This guy had phenomenal pitching at DBU and now at Miss St in one year.  They are seriously butthurt.

Great hire.

Offline jsimp

• Boar
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 09:45:59 PM »

:stunned:

Offline WampusHog

• A Shoat
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 08:50:49 AM »
Looks like a great hire. I wonder if this will help with 2017 prospect Hunter Milligan from Greenbrier. His is a 6'4" LHP with a 90 mph fastball. Committed to Miss. State.

Offline jack_beene

• Razorback Martha Stewart
  • Wild Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 12:26:41 PM »

:tiw:

Offline jsimp

• Boar
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 06:19:03 PM »
Looks like a great hire. I wonder if this will help with 2017 prospect Hunter Milligan from Greenbrier. His is a 6'4" LHP with a 90 mph fastball. Committed to Miss. State.

if a kid from Conway has visited, and decided he wants spend his college years in Starkville, miss, do we really want him? serious question

Offline WampusHog

• A Shoat
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 06:24:12 PM »
Milligan flips to Hogs. Good thing our coaching staff looks past a kid taking visits to other schools.
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jun/29/states-top-player-decommits-mississippi-state-pled/

Offline Ty Webb

• I don't play golf, for money, against people
  • King of the Hogs
  • Best baseball logo ever
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 06:56:37 PM »
if a kid from Conway has visited, and decided he wants spend his college years in Starkville, miss, do we really want him? serious question
Appatently the answer is a clear 'yes'.
Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.

Offline Barton Fink

• Boar
  • Bring it!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 07:09:26 PM »
Did we lose any recruits to the draft? I never heard.
Cuz friends don't waste wine when there's words to sell

Offline asshat

• not just any asshat
  • Boar
  • Hates all things Auburn
    • please click here to see the World Famous Artist Sean Terrence Best !!
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 07:16:08 PM »
Quote from: Duckman
This is exactly where we are at, dead on:  To everyone that is hushing the Gruden talk, stop it, there IS a deal in place...

Offline cotte

• Retired Woopig Softballah
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 08:39:17 AM »
Milligan flips to Hogs. Good thing our coaching staff looks past a kid taking visits to other schools.
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jun/29/states-top-player-decommits-mississippi-state-pled/

This is BIG.  That kid can throw.
We're going to pick em up when they come off the damn bus. We gonna guard people.
Mike Anderson - March 26th, 2011

- he lied ... ...

Online The Pig in Black

• Woopig
  • Wild Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 09:22:05 AM »
This is BIG.  That kid can throw.

I'm glad he flipped, but it sounds like he'll likely be a high first round pick.  I doubt he steps foot on any campus.

Offline cotte

• Retired Woopig Softballah
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 09:23:21 AM »
I'm glad he flipped, but it sounds like he'll likely be a high first round pick.  I doubt he steps foot on any campus.
That's certainly a fear.
He's voiced that it would have to be an incredible amount of money to not go to UA. He said he doesn't want to live the minor league life.
Who knows...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

We're going to pick em up when they come off the damn bus. We gonna guard people.
Mike Anderson - March 26th, 2011

- he lied ... ...

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
  • Stirke First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »

He's not. He hasn't hit 90 since his 9th grade year. He worked 84-88 last week at Team USA TOS. He pitched well against the best hitters in the country, though.  He was rated #7 in 2014. Now he is rated in the 150-250 range depending on the site.  Very good chance we get him to campus
I got the glory, got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali, getting drunk on the reg. Fucking good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg, basically all the shit men fanta

Offline DrMongoose

• King of the Hogs
  • whatever
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 10:30:09 PM »
He said he doesn't want to live the minor league life.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

who does?  Kid better start enjoying a few bus rides
Haters gonna hate

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 34 queries.