Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bread/Milk Alert. Storm of the century tonight!  (Read 554191 times)

Offline SupaflyTNT

• A Shoat
Re: Bread/Milk Alert. Storm of the century tonight!
« Reply #9025 on: October 13, 2014, 04:30:25 PM »
Tons of rain today/last night and my creek is out of its banks (between Tontitown and Siloam).  Question.  Had a big lightning strike at the house at about 4:00 a.m.  Not sure what it hit.  Power went out.  Didn't think much of it at the time and wanted to go back to sleep, but when I woke up again around 5, my power was off and I could see a light at the nearest neighbor's place 400 yards away or so.  Went to check the breaker box, and I'd guess about 30 of 50 breaker switches were thrown.  Switched them all and everything came back on except one.

Any electrician types know what happened?  Not sure if they were the newer arc detection ones or what, but I've never seen that many breakers tripped at one time.

Online Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #9026 on: October 13, 2014, 04:38:25 PM »

That's the KARK Weather motto.

The KNWA motto is "hey, look at devecchio's..... wait, what was the report?"

That's it.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• Ask me about my givafuck. I promise you've never seen one more broken.
  • King of the Hogs
  • All the fricks that were once given have been lost.
« Reply #9027 on: October 13, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »
Tons of rain today/last night and my creek is out of its banks (between Tontitown and Siloam).  Question.  Had a big lightning strike at the house at about 4:00 a.m.  Not sure what it hit.  Power went out.  Didn't think much of it at the time and wanted to go back to sleep, but when I woke up again around 5, my power was off and I could see a light at the nearest neighbor's place 400 yards away or so.  Went to check the breaker box, and I'd guess about 30 of 50 breaker switches were thrown.  Switched them all and everything came back on except one.

Any electrician types know what happened?  Not sure if they were the newer arc detection ones or what, but I've never seen that many breakers tripped at one time.

Lightning could have just struck the ground or a tree near your place and done this.  The breakers trip because of over current, or in an arc fault type, a potential difference between the grounded conductor(white wire/neutral conductor) and your hot wire.  They are freaky sensitive to small differences, and lightning would certainly flip them.  If they are just standard breakers, it easily could have caused a power surge backwards through your incoming power.  Breakers don't know which way the lectricities is going.  They just know it's going.
Regular guy.

That's me.

Offline Nolapigz

• Tush Hog
  • Die hipster, die.
« Reply #9028 on: October 13, 2014, 05:55:51 PM »
Possible tornado over the Bonnet Carre Spillway out of NOLA right during rush hour. :stunned:
I just raked out the basin, moved my car to high ground and gassed the generator.  It's going to be a long next 7 hours down here.

Offline bigghurtt

• An elder statesman of nonsense, if you will.
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9029 on: October 13, 2014, 06:59:50 PM »

Possible tornado over the Bonnet Carre Spillway out of NOLA right during rush hour. :stunned:
I just raked out the basin, moved my car to high ground and gassed the generator.  It's going to be a long next 7 hours down here.

Bush will be there in a few hours. Don't worry, he's got this aMm.
This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline HawgRockCafe

• Boar
  • WPS
« Reply #9030 on: October 13, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »
Lightning could have just struck the ground or a tree near your place and done this.  The breakers trip because of over current, or in an arc fault type, a potential difference between the grounded conductor(white wire/neutral conductor) and your hot wire. They are freaky sensitive to small differences, and lightning would certainly flip them. If they are just standard breakers, it easily could have caused a power surge backwards through your incoming power. Breakers don't know which way the lectricities is going. They just know it's going.

I agree with the Rev. We are not far from you, SupaflyTNT. We've had a similar thing happen. Once our neighbor a couple houses down got struck just outside their house. Fried several things in their house. The guy is an electrician so I'm sure he checked his house properly. I helped with some computer stuff that was killed and they were dead beyond repair.

We had breakers tripped but no damage. We heard and felt the strike. Thought it was right outside our house but was a couple hundred feet away. Scary as Starkville.

Those arc fault breakers are a pain in the ass sometimes because they are so sensitive but they definitely work.
A lost chicken?  A chicken?  In the woods? - ElvisHog - 2/4/2004
---------------

Offline Nolapigz

• Tush Hog
  • Die hipster, die.
« Reply #9031 on: October 13, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »
Bush will be there in a few hours. Don't worry, he's got this aMm.
:cheers:

Offline Count Porkula

• Mayor
  • King of the Hogs
  • frick Him!
« Reply #9032 on: October 17, 2014, 03:50:01 PM »
Big wind is headed at some woppussiers again
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline Buhleedat

• A Shoat
  • Grab some Pampers, aMm's fittin' to get real
« Reply #9033 on: October 17, 2014, 04:49:27 PM »
Big wind is headed at some woppussiers again
I warn the wife about this every night before bed.

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Supersonic sleeping bag.
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9034 on: October 17, 2014, 11:02:11 PM »
70 degrees with a 6 mph nne wind at kickoff tailing off to 62 degrees at the end. Sounds like perfect vomiting and furniture burning weather.

Offline TheOtherWhiteMeat

• Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9035 on: Today at 04:58:49 PM »
Freeze watch for western Arkansas late Friday night into early Saturday morning.

Offline HoneyBakedPiglet

• aka Fireplace
  • Boar
  • Unofficial Woopig Golf Tourney Chairman
« Reply #9036 on: Today at 05:00:56 PM »
Freeze watch for western Arkansas late Friday night into early Saturday morning.

Keep that chocolate from melting.
Down at the senior citizens home, doing a couple numbers for the old ladies.

Offline Phat_Hawg

• Has pulled more tail than a slow kid at a petting zoo
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #9037 on: Today at 05:00:59 PM »

Local weather guy last night said it was going to be "a killing freeze for a lot of folks".  I laughed for about 10 minutes.

yeah I know csb
Homies help homes.......always

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.