Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: It seems like it was only 41 years ago  (Read 5991 times)

Offline razorwire

• Wild Hog
  • woopig.net 3.0
Re: It seems like it was only 41 years ago
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2014, 07:49:16 AM »

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Superer Mod
  • Administrator
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2014, 09:45:25 AM »
I re-watched it again last night/this morning.  The NASA Channel ran the whole EVA last night, around 9:40 until after midnight.  Those folks who claim the flag waving need to watch that.  As both Neil and Buzz take turns trying to slam the flag pole deeper into the ground, the flag, hanging over a horizontal extension, does flutter--from the violent vibrations of two men trying to assure the flag won't tip over (as it turns out, they planted it too close to the LEM, and when the separation took place for it to return to the orbiting CM, it was knocked over).  After they plant the flag, and go about doing other gatherings and experiments, that flag never moves.  It's right in front of the camera.

It was very boring to re-watch all that.  We had just enough information to get them there and back.  If it weren't so cost prohibitive, we could easily set up colonization on the moon with the technology of today.  I suppose the greatest hindrance is that it is still a 3 1/2 to 4 day trip, so emergencies are actually certain death scenarios. 

As mentioned before, the technological advances made in trying to beat the Soviets to the moon were worth the billions (probably trillions in today's dollars), but it would be hard to justify, if there is one child on this planet who is hungry, doing this.  The Mars mission is probably going to be completely funded from private corporation, which is the way it should be.

Still one of the greatest things mankind humans have ever accomplished, if not the greatest.  Makes one seek for more heroes like Armstrong, who never allowed the monetary reward he could have easily demanded. 

Offline rzrbkfan69

• Wild Hog
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2014, 10:34:08 AM »
Couldn't decide whether to put this here, or in either the Awesome thread or LOL MIZZ. 

Apparently the other day the Columbia MO paper tweeted...

"On this day in 1969 Lance Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon.

And then they walked from Faurot Field to the adjacent downtown area.
You hear that? My friends are laughing at me!!! They are laughing at me! - Clark

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.