Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The NBA  (Read 183393 times)

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
The NBA
« on: October 27, 2009, 09:54:37 PM »
Any Association fans here?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:59:25 AM by Death By Sooiecide »

Offline boomer_sooie

• Boar
Re: The NBA
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:22:50 PM »
Thought about starting a thread while watching the Cavs game.

It looks like there's gonna be a huge gap between the top 5 teams (lakers, spurs, cavs, celtics, and magic) and everyone else.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »
This should tell you something.

It's Tuesday night after a blowout on Monday Night Football and THAT thread is still on the main board and getting posts.

NBA action starts tonight. Crapola. 3 posts.

The league is down.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:10:41 PM »
This should tell you something.

It's Tuesday night after a blowout on Monday Night Football and THAT thread is still on the main board and getting posts.

NBA action starts tonight. Crapola. 3 posts.

The league is down.

Interest may be down HERE, but I'd say the NBA is in the best shape it's been in since Jordan. There are a lot of stars.

Online Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:08:40 AM »
I like the NBA because it's not tainted by rampant drug use and rule thuggery like MLB seems to be.

I can't figure out why in the world AI is in Memphis though.  I'm sure he's trying to figure out why he's there too.  If the Cavs are wanting to be treated as the team to beat in the East though, they needed to make a statement by winning that game last night. 

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Superer Mod
  • Administrator
  • Tush Hog
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:18:25 AM »
I like the NBA because it's not tainted by rampant drug use and rule thuggery like MLB seems to be.

I can't figure out why in the world AI is in Memphis though.  I'm sure he's trying to figure out why he's there too.  If the Cavs are wanting to be treated as the team to beat in the East though, they needed to make a statement by winning that game last night. 

AI is in Memphis now?  Speaking of face of the franchise. 

Judge:  Officer, how could you be sure that a homicide had taken place.

Policeman:  To please the court, sir, I was in Memphis.  Need I say more?

Online Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 12:40:12 PM »
I casually follow the Nuggets and they should be solid again but I think the Lakers are a cut above the rest of the West until proven otherwise.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Online Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 12:44:36 PM »
Right now the Lakers are the Yankees of NBA ball.  I was shocked to see them introduce Adam Morrison as one of their scrubs. 

They clearly are willing to pay what it takes and do what it takes to build a deep team that can win on any given night off the efforts of 5 or 6 other really good players, not named Kobe, that would be "stars" in other markets. 

Offline Ahole

• Boar
  • DERP!!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
Right now the Lakers are the Yankees of NBA ball.  I was shocked to see them introduce Adam Morrison as one of their scrubs. 

They clearly are willing to pay what it takes and do what it takes to build a deep team that can win on any given night off the efforts of 5 or 6 other really good players, not named Kobe, that would be "stars" in other markets. 

In baseball you can buy championships whereas in basketball you have to be smart to win championships. The Yankees can spend $250M on 3 players in the off-season to fill in holes. In basketball, with the salary cap, everyone spends about the same amount of money so you have to pick and choose who you sign, how much you pay them, and who you release or let go to FA to make room for new personnel.

The Lakers signed Ron Artest but had to let go of Trevor Ariza, a good young player, to make room for him. They convinced Memphis to practically GIVE them Pao Gasol a couple years ago in a very lopsided but legal trade. Adam Morrison was a throw in player in a trade last year with Charlotte where the Lakers were trying to dump salary. The Yankees just threw a shitload of cash at CC, Tex, and Burnett.

I guess I just don't get the comparison between the Yankees and the Lakers. They are both good but for very different reasons.

Offline big_pig

• King of the Hogs
  • Avatars were made to be broken, but not this one!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 05:08:14 PM »
[The Lakers] convinced Memphis to practically GIVE them Pao Gasol a couple years ago in a very lopsided but legal trade.

Pao didn't do nuthin in memphis. He was la-zy. But as soon as he gets on a team with a chance to win a title, he sure picked his game up.  Memphis fans (there's like 12 of them) still gripe about that.
I am not claiming I am right, I am saying I don't get it.

Offline boomer_sooie

• Boar
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 05:26:59 PM »

They convinced Memphis to practically GIVE them Pao Gasol a couple years ago in a very lopsided but legal trade. Adam Morrison was a throw in player in a trade last year with Charlotte where the Lakers were trying to dump salary.

I guess I just don't get the comparison between the Yankees and the Lakers. They are both good but for very different reasons.

I think the oddest thing about the Morrison trade is that Shannon Brown has actually helped the Lakers.

In other news, it's not the Tequila diet of Lendale White, but it looks like Caron Butler quit his addiction to Mountain Dew and lost 11 pounds. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/More-on-Caron-Butler-s-extreme-Mountain-Dew-addi?urn=nba,198240

Offline mr.zorak

• Curator of Crapola
  • Boar
  • keep your friends close and your enemies closer...
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 05:46:06 PM »
Pao didn't do nuthin in memphis. He was la-zy. But as soon as he gets on a team with a chance to win a title, he sure picked his game up.  Memphis fans (there's like 12 of them) still gripe about that.

As a distinguished member of the panel of 12, the only thing I gripe about is the skimpy amount of pork on my Neely's BBQ nachos.

I appreciate Pau's brother a lot more.  He at least plays hard.
Almost always in the top 5 dooshapalooza rankings

frick that i want the, fresh as a whistle

Online Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 07:38:20 PM »
I

Well, I'm talking about the star power and the way they are not afraid to stack their team with names and willing to spend what they can to do it.  Sure there is a salary cap in the NBA and in the NFL, but some teams still find a way to spend more and get more then other teams who hold lots of cap space and are always full of no-names and scrubs. 

The Lakers take their game seriously, as do the Celtics. 

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 10:15:01 PM »
Not that anyone here will care, but Dirk was brilliant tonight for the mavs...once the 4th quarter started. Dude had something like 11 points going into the 4th. Scores 29 in the 4th leading the Mavs back from a 16 (i think) point deficit to end up winning by almost 10.

Online Pumpkin Escobar

• Rocky Mountain High
  • King of the Hogs
  • An image of excellence.
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 01:33:14 AM »
Denver took a whooping stick to the Lakers ass tonight. This Ty Lawson kid who played at UNC can str8 ball son.
An té nach leigheasann im nó uisce beatha, ní aon leigheas ar.

Tiocfaidh ár lá! Éireann go brách!

Online Cerdo

• I am Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 07:56:25 AM »
That was a good win by the Hawks on the Celtic's floor.

I am really sick of Kevin Garnett's constant chest thumping and facial expressions that the TV guys live for.  It's really O.L.D. 

I still think the Hawks needed a space filler big man - didn't need to be Dwight Howard - it could have been Erik Dampier, for Pete's sake.  They just need more size.  I think they could actually be the main contender to Boston and Orlando in the East if they had traded that Josh guy for 2 space filler guys like what Cleveland is trying to do. 

Online 501 Boyz

• Boar
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 08:28:19 AM »
Not that anyone here will care, but Dirk was brilliant tonight for the mavs...once the 4th quarter started. Dude had something like 11 points going into the 4th. Scores 29 in the 4th leading the Mavs back from a 16 (i think) point deficit to end up winning by almost 10.
Is almost 10 something like 9?

Offline Jar2

• Yankee Proud
  • A Shoat
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 06:30:49 PM »
This is shaping up to be the best NBA season since MJ "retired" from the Bulls after their win against Utah in 1997.

can't believe you even took the time to write that

Offline ocelot_ark

• Boar
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 06:47:26 PM »
Is almost 10 something like 9?

Most places.

Offline boomer_sooie

• Boar
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 06:58:16 PM »
As a distinguished member of the panel of 12, the only thing I gripe about is the skimpy amount of pork on my Neely's BBQ nachos.

I appreciate Pau's brother a lot more.  He at least plays hard.

It looks like signing A.I. worked to per-fricking-fection.

Offline TheGreatBoardero

• A man among boys
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 08:07:45 PM »
Don't know if any one has read these excerpts from Donaghey's never to be seen book, but very compelling reading to say the least.

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read?skyline=true&s=x

Offline Death By Sooiecide

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 08:21:43 PM »
Don't know if any one has read these excerpts from Donaghey's never to be seen book, but very compelling reading to say the least.

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read?skyline=true&s=x

That is a book that must be published.

Offline boomer_sooie

• Boar
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 07:48:42 PM »
Rudy Gay (NTTAWT) can dunk the aMm out of the ball. Too bad no one goes to Grizz games.

Offline The Cowboy Tiger

• Are You Not Entertained?
  • King of the Hogs
  • KOBK
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 08:56:44 PM »
It looks like President Clinton has skin cancer above his right eye.
I'm just a dark guy from a den of iniquity.

Don't go away mad.  Just go away.

Offline TravelHog

• Resident Agitator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 08:57:39 PM »
Why does anyone even give a aMm before the playoffs?
Chance favors the prepared mind.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 21 queries.