Welcome, stranger! Please log in or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 20 dead at Albert Pike Campgrounds  (Read 21062 times)

Offline jmcwill04

• #StaySchleep
  • A Shoat
  • on fleek
    • http://www.boattrader.com/
Re: 16 dead, more unaccounted for at Albert Pike Campgrounds
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2010, 10:23:30 AM »

Offline bleedinred

• Boar

Offline Raoul

• Oilfield Trash
  • King of the Hogs
  • You're a Dick
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2010, 11:52:54 AM »
My kid went to school with both of those little girls, I can't even fucking imagine  :'(

My oldest daughter turns 7 next Monday and I can't even begin to imagine how badly the parents feel. My prayers go out to all the victims families. I camped on the Buffalo Friday and Saturday night in a remote area with my tent less than 3 feet from the waters edge. I saw the initial report about this tragedy right as I was leaving home heading to the River. I damn sure checked the weather radar and forecast all day Friday to make sure that no storms were coming that way, or we would have changed our location.
I'm the King Turd, Up here on Shit Mountain and if you want it you can have the crown.

Offline deesnutts

• Wild Hog
  • you only live, til you die
Re: 20 dead, more unaccounted for at Albert Pike Campgrounds
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2010, 02:51:46 PM »
These were taken Friday at Albert Pike
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:54:59 PM by deesnutts »

Offline deesnutts

• Wild Hog
  • you only live, til you die
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »
And a few more, wish i could load the ones from the Sat. before the storm for a before and after look.

Offline PorkRyan

• King of the Hogs
  • Stirke First, Strike Hard, Show No Mercy
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2010, 04:38:49 PM »
I got the glory, got the fame, the money, the jewels, the cash, the denali, getting drunk on the reg. Fucking good times on the reg, yachts on the reg, sex on the reg, basically all the shit men fanta

Offline Scotty Doesn't Know

• Guns. Boom. America.
  • Boar
  • Not a doctor.
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2010, 07:13:49 PM »
Guys, life is a precious gift.

Hug your kids tonight. Make up with your relatives you don't agree with. Be thankful that your family is together.

God rest their souls.
That's what I do. I drink and I know things.

Offline HumbleHawg

• A Shoat
  • Upgraded from screen door to aluminum storm door
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2010, 07:42:58 PM »

Proof there are angels in heaven.

Offline Hogwildpigcrazy

• Boar
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2010, 05:22:44 PM »
Guys, life is a precious gift.

Hug your kids tonight. Make up with your relatives you don't agree with. Be thankful that your family is together.

God rest their souls.
This.

We all get pissed at everyone sometimes. Most of it is over nothing. It will be over in a flicker. Enjoy it while you can.

God rest their souls.
Our founding fathers would have been shooting by now.

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
Re: 20 dead at Albert Pike Campgrounds
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2017, 03:49:29 PM »

The lawsuit filed by family members of the victims was dismissed yesterday by Judge Susan Hickey in US District Court.  Judge Hickey found that the United States of America, apparently the sole defendant, is entitled to immunity from suit and therefore dismissed all the claims. 

Here's the order.  It's not all that long (18 pages) and has a lot of background information. 
Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2017, 05:44:43 PM »

The lawsuit filed by family members of the victims was dismissed yesterday by Judge Susan Hickey in US District Court.  Judge Hickey found that the United States of America, apparently the sole defendant, is entitled to immunity from suit and therefore dismissed all the claims. 

Here's the order.  It's not all that long (18 pages) and has a lot of background information.

1.  It is odd a state statute can expand federal immunity, and a bit ironic given how many federal statutes allow for ignoring state immunity.

2. I think it is a tortured reading of a pretty plain statute.  They were charged a fee to camp there so the exception to the immunity statute ought to apply.  These weren't "day trippers" allowed in for free, they paid -because they were required to pay - to use the camping pads and hook ups for an over night stay.  I understand she is bound to follow 8th Circuit precedent but I think the 8th Circuit was wrong.

Having said that, even if the exception had been found to apply and they'd been allowed to proceed under the FTCA, it is hard for me to see the feds as negligent just because they got it wrong on whether the area was in a flood plain.  I don't think most campers base their decisions to camp near a river on that.  It wouldn't have been a slam dunk either way.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:47:25 PM by ArkGuy »
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Law_Hawg

• Placidly murderous giant
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2017, 12:07:58 PM »
2. I think it is a tortured reading of a pretty plain statute.  They were charged a fee to camp there so the exception to the immunity statute ought to apply.  These weren't "day trippers" allowed in for free, they paid -because they were required to pay - to use the camping pads and hook ups for an over night stay.  I understand she is bound to follow 8th Circuit precedent but I think the 8th Circuit was wrong.

I agree here.  Judge Hickey could've certified that issue to the Arkansas Supreme Court for a ruling.  However, given the heavy precedent she cited from both various federal and state courts, it's doubtful our Supreme Court would've ruled any differently than Judge Hickey.  Plus, she'd already certified one question in that case to the Supreme Court and maybe didn't want to send another one to them.

Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 35 queries.