Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Awesome Thread  (Read 628032 times)

Offline BigDavis

• Squirrel hater
  • King of the Hogs
Re: The Awesome Thread
« Reply #7925 on: April 24, 2015, 04:12:40 PM »
Were you around when it happened?  They sold it pretty well.  I mean, yeah, it was wrestling, and anyone over age 6 with a triple digit IQ knew the wrestling wasn't real.  But they were convincing as Starkville with the feud.

No but that Letterman interview seemed pretty staged. Maybe that because I'm extra cynical because of the thousands of internet hoaxes and staged bullshit I've seen in the past 20 years.  At the time people were probably a lot less skeptical of things they were seeing on TV.

Offline 1st_down_streak

• Boar
« Reply #7926 on: April 24, 2015, 04:25:49 PM »
No but that Letterman interview seemed pretty staged. Maybe that because I'm extra cynical because of the thousands of internet hoaxes and staged bullshit I've seen in the past 20 years.  At the time people were probably a lot less skeptical of things they were seeing on TV.

Offline DirkPiggler

• The Lyrical Jesse James
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7927 on: April 24, 2015, 04:31:03 PM »

This is the key.  We still had some ignorance and innocence of what was going on around us back then. 

Online gibraltar

• habitual line stepper
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #7928 on: April 24, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »
Time Machine Allsome.

I saw this about a year ago and had forgotten a lot from when I was a kid watching Memphis wrasslin
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLED2fOPlTuwc0hxvg_cdjDifRX6KUVZb1

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7929 on: April 24, 2015, 05:04:20 PM »
I saw this about a year ago and had forgotten a lot from when I was a kid watching Memphis wrasslin
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLED2fOPlTuwc0hxvg_cdjDifRX6KUVZb1

The motherload. Shweet.  :thumbup:

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7930 on: April 24, 2015, 05:06:27 PM »
Can't believe people actually thought this was real.

Online Lurk

• A Shoat
« Reply #7931 on: April 24, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »
No, the smart people knew that it was entertainment way back then. Yeah, I know a lot about wrestling. They were the most entertaining shows on Saturday mornings when you had three channels growing up.

The stupid people that bought into it were part of the show, maybe the most entertaining part.

Watch the documentary about the feud and you'll change your mind. Kaufman really was that psycho, and I don't think Lawler would lie about it.

Kaufman tried to punk a professional wrestler and the wrestler kicked his ass for it. Not as bad as he could have, more just bitch-slapping him around.

The only people stupider than the people that believe wrestling is real are the ones declaring authoritatively that it's fake.
You don't change the way people think by changing what they say. You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLYING THROUGH THE AIR. BLOOD! FLAMES! HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION!

Offline Hogustus

• Wild Hog
  • ex-commissary clerk
« Reply #7932 on: April 24, 2015, 06:38:23 PM »
The only people stupider than the people that believe wrestling is real are the ones declaring authoritatively that it's fake.
I feel stupider for having read that.

Offline Cerdo

• Hateful Strawman
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7933 on: April 24, 2015, 07:13:28 PM »
I think people back then believed about anything on TV.  I watch old people whine a lot about "civilization declining" but kids today are way more savvy, as a general population, than they were decades ago.

Offline 501 Boyz

• Boar
« Reply #7934 on: April 24, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »

I know there are some actually certified referee type woopiggas.  Why is this not traveling?  It's pretty awesome, but can you pass to yourself if you have to take steps?
why would it be a travel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Das Uberschwein

• Resident Drecksau
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7935 on: April 24, 2015, 08:26:14 PM »
I think people back then believed about anything on TV.

No kidding. Some people even believe that the moon landing actually took place. Suckers.

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #7936 on: April 24, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »

Join the crowd.
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline Fairweather Hog Fan

• Boar
« Reply #7937 on: April 24, 2015, 09:46:29 PM »
 :thumbup:

Ender of threads!

Online Lurk

• A Shoat
« Reply #7938 on: April 24, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »
I doubt you're smart enough to understand it. If you doubt that, consider the fact that Arkansas Proud agreed with you about something.
You don't change the way people think by changing what they say. You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLYING THROUGH THE AIR. BLOOD! FLAMES! HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION!

Offline Merle_Hoggard

• Tush Hog
« Reply #7939 on: April 24, 2015, 11:38:28 PM »
:thumbup:

Not many do Freddie and Queen justice on that song, but Zac and the band definitely do.  :beer: :thumbup:
"Wonderful things can happen when you sew the seeds of distrust in a garden of assholes."  Raylan Givens

Offline BigDavis

• Squirrel hater
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7940 on: Today at 12:52:25 AM »
No, the smart people knew that it was entertainment way back then. Yeah, I know a lot about wrestling. They were the most entertaining shows on Saturday mornings when you had three channels growing up.

The stupid people that bought into it were part of the show, maybe the most entertaining part.

Watch the documentary about the feud and you'll change your mind. Kaufman really was that psycho, and I don't think Lawler would lie about it.

Kaufman tried to punk a professional wrestler and the wrestler kicked his ass for it. Not as bad as he could have, more just bitch-slapping him around.

Wrong. Lawler has admitted many times that Kaufman got him in on it from the beginning.

Online Lurk

• A Shoat
« Reply #7941 on: Today at 10:24:44 AM »
Wrong. Lawler has admitted many times that Kaufman got him in on it from the beginning.
Well, you're right. The last time I heard Lawler, he was still claiming it started out as part of the show, but Kaufman took it too far and the blows were real. Off to the screen door.

Offline TexZilla

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #7942 on: Today at 01:25:26 PM »
Lawler has said it was the greatest moment for wrestling and he's right.  I was living in Memphis when this all went down, and had friends close to the wrestling crowd, and they got played as well as much as the fans.  Lawler kept it a secret from everyone on the inside so they thought Kaufman was batshit crazy.

If you weren't around for Andy Kaufman you cant imagine the lengths he would go to to pull off a gag.  When he got sick most folks didnt believe him, thinking it was a gag.  He was a genius. 

Online HOGGLY WOGGLY

• FUCK TEXASS!
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #7943 on: Today at 01:35:28 PM »
Lawler has said it was the greatest moment for wrestling and he's right.  I was living in Memphis when this all went down, and had friends close to the wrestling crowd, and they got played as well as much as the fans.  Lawler kept it a secret from everyone on the inside so they thought Kaufman was batshit crazy.

If you weren't around for Andy Kaufman you cant imagine the lengths he would go to to pull off a gag.  When he got sick most folks didnt believe him, thinking it was a gag.  He was a genius.

There are a lot of people who think Kaufman faked his death and is still alive and hiding somewhere waiting to comeback. That's how good he was at his act.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2015  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 21 queries.