Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Republican overlords taking aim at AAA  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Count Porkula

• Mayor
  • King of the Hogs
  • Ballin' All the Chicks
Re: Republican overlords taking aim at AAA
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 03:42:50 PM »
what's really going to screw things up is when there are two more HSs finished up here in the next few years.  That'll really jack up the numbers. 
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline authorhawgerelli

• Superer Mod
  • Administrator
  • Wild Hog
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 04:03:35 PM »
I think you and I would agree that leaving the AAA in place but it acting with more transparency and otherwise more professionally would be the ideal solution.  I am as skeptical as you about having political employees in charge of the nuts and bolts administration of governing high school sports.  But, it may take the threat of state intervention to get movement in the right direction.

I can tell you it already has, and I agree it is probably a needed jolt.

Offline Love Handle

• A Shoat
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »
60 bucks,  miles one way and a 50 dollar per diem. No hotel.

They did a good job. Allen is legit. Monk is maybe the best athlete on the court I've ever seen. He's got that Jordan/Vince Carter athleticism thing.

Do the football officials that work the title games get per diem?

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• I'm just a visitor. I don't know any of these heathens.
  • King of the Hogs
  • All the fucks that were once given have been lost.
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 10:30:06 PM »
Do you want some non-trained in your craft person telling you how to do your craft?

I think the voting public answered this loud and clear.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you government mandated healthcare!!
Regular guy.

That's me.

Offline Over9000ft

• A Shoat
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 08:33:53 PM »
You bring up relatively few bad things the AAA has done, but you left no real alternative suggestions.  The AAA is not Lance Taylor and his staff of 7.  It is the voting membership, which is represented by an 18 member elected board of directors.  You say something about moving tournaments from Alltel, but you don't mention that Alltel pulled a War Memorial/U of A, and was planning to charge the same price of hosting a Razorback game, even though typically state championship games only draw 5 to 6 thousand and $6 to $8 dollars a ticket versus the $35 per ticket at a guaranteed sellout for a Hog game.

The board of directors changes yearly, but the one constant is that they try and spread things around.  It would be nice to always have things in centrally located venues, but have you attended a high school game in NLR or LR recently?  The current format has the other schools trying to "nice" things up.  There is really nothing mysterious to how they award the state tournaments.  The school that promises to provide the most money for the AAA to use to purchase trophies, etc., and have nice things for the kids is how it's done.  Sure, there is the occasional "deal" made, but you can't seriously think that the governor appointing his nephew, whose kid's attend a private school in NWA is the answer to "cleaning up a mess" can you?

6 on 6 basketball was outlawed in 1979.  I would say the AAA of today is a far cry better than the legislature of 1979.

Siloam driving past all those 7A schools means that a school with a high school enrollment of about 900 not having to play schools with high school enrollments of 2000 and more.  It's sucky, but to tell parents and kids, "hey if you don't like it, move," doesn't seem like a fair answer either.  In all the griping, I never see suggestions that will work better.  I'm more Republican than most people on this board, but I'm at major odds with our governor and the freshmen 40 who seem to be more worried about helping the home schoolers build an all star team along with the private schools who have finally stopped winning 80% of the state championships because they no longer can build these all star teams as easy.  I work in a mid size 4A school.  I know that our starting tailback on the Class of 2020 will be a certain kid because he's been his class's tailback since 3rd grade.  While the private schools were dominating, it was a rotating all star group, mad at this coach, liked those facilities better, etc.  The last proposal is all because a lawyer who is friends with the Boldings think he is being mistreated.  He is trying to destroy something that is not nearly perfect, and replace it with a completely flawed system. 

Turning things over to the State Department of Ed is crazy.  Their hands are full enough.  Turning it over to 7 appointed for life friends of whoever made the biggest donation or is related to the current governor is a bigger joke than Ashley Judd's acting career.

Keep it in the hands of those who are closest to the situation.  I know several of them.  Mostly reasonable men and women.  They actually do listen and try to fix things.  Not nearly fast enough, but they eventually do make decisions that are good for the whole, but I guarantee you that appointing 7 to 10 friends of politicians is insanity.

Medical regulatory boards are made up of physicians.  Replace them with friends of politicians.  Cancer will be cured overnight, right?

Your statement  "bit much to refer to the AAA as "a nonprofit operated with member dues."  Who is profiting?  The board of directors gets paid nothing, except for a hotel room for an overnight stay, and their gas paid for when they meet.  The AAA executive directors (employees, 7 of them)  make about the same as large school principals.  What am I missing here?

"That's all fine and good but when do we get to re-segregate?"

/average Arkansas Republican Voter

Offline Arkansas Proud

• Admins be changing my title daily
  • King of the Hogs
  • The better half
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 09:38:02 PM »
"That's all fine and good but when do we get to re-segregate?"

/average Arkansas Republican Voter

About as enlightening as your football posts
"I completely agree." -- Stephen Coalboar on August 22, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Offline Loma

• Backwoodigan Razorback
  • King of the Hogs
  • Hey Pig Sooie~
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 09:55:08 PM »
I think the voting public answered this loud and clear.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you government mandated healthcare!!

REVEREND!

Offline The Reverend Snoophogg

• I'm just a visitor. I don't know any of these heathens.
  • King of the Hogs
  • All the fucks that were once given have been lost.
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 10:21:42 PM »

REVEREND!

Sorry.  Wrong thread. 

Screen door, my wiener, I know the way...
Regular guy.

That's me.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2015  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.