Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enrollment, campus growth  (Read 81178 times)

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • Boar
  • I forgive you, Clint Stoerner.
Re: Enrollment, campus growth
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2011, 11:54:30 PM »
The old health center up on Maple Hill is under construction and is being turned into this:

LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline wmr

• Boar
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2011, 11:57:35 PM »
FIJI House is also under renovation and here's a rendering:

Offline Count Porkula

• Adjust the base and let the Alpine Blast
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2011, 11:59:10 PM »
The old health center up on Maple Hill is under construction and is being turned into this:

this is in direct response to the nursing school enrollment. this will allow us to enroll something like 200 new students in the nursing program where NWACC can only allow 40-50 and will alleviate pressure off UAMS & Baptist.
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline wmr

• Boar
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2011, 12:06:12 AM »
I've also seen a really cool rendering of proposed new dorms up on McElroy Hill.  Basically they would start adjacent south of Gregson.  The building would be similar to the new ones up on Maple Hill, but they would replicate the architecture, color and style of Gregson, and stretch all along that ridge there and basically wrap along side it in front of Yocum, almost to McElroy House.  The parking west of Yocum would either go away or be greatly reduced, and the road going down the hill there to hook up with Stadium would go away/be absorbed by the trail system.  That would look really cool from down below.  I hope it happens.  There's a rendering out there but I can't remember where it is.  It seems like there is a kind of castle-looking tower section to it, too.  I have always thought that part of campus needed a tower of some kind where people could go up and look off into the mountains.  The views there are already great.  Maybe they'll find some way to build those and incorporate something like that into the design.

Offline copenhaWgen

• Wild Hog
  • Satisfied since 1986
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2011, 12:11:37 AM »
I have always thought that part of campus needed a tower of some kind where people could go up and look off into the mountains or look down and shoot at people.

fixt

sorry.  too much to drank.  looks like if you're still alive then you've made it through the storm of the century. 

Offline wmr

• Boar
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2011, 12:12:19 AM »
And here's a pic of the new Nanotech Center next to Kappa Sigma.  This is an old picture, as its pretty much finished with landscaping and lighting installed.  Its a handsome building that kind of mimics the colors of Old Main.  Its impressive driving up onto campus via Dickson:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:16:09 AM by wmr »

Offline wmr

• Boar
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2011, 12:17:04 AM »
fixt

sorry.  too much to drank.  looks like if you're still alive then you've made it through the storm of the century. 

Alive.  Funny you posted that, as every time I have thought about a tower on campus, I have thought about the same thing.  Texas figured out a way to open their tower and keep people from shooting/leaping to their deaths from it.  Surely we can figure it out.

Online chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • Boar
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2011, 09:20:19 AM »
Talking about views, those in the food court eating area at the Union are great.

Offline beastman

• A Shoat
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2011, 09:35:09 AM »
As of right now, there are more students from the state of tx than AR from the incoming class of freshmen in Walton College

Offline HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2011, 09:46:25 AM »
As of right now, there are more students from the state of tx than AR from the incoming class of freshmen in Walton College

Interesting, very interesting. I guess edumacation is getting expensive in Texass.

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2011, 09:50:17 AM »
Interesting, very interesting. I guess edumacation is getting expensive in Texass.

Nope, it's the 10% rule. 

Offline hit_that_line

• Tush Hog
  • woopig.net
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
I just graduated two years ago and I'm not even going to be able to recognize the campus come football season.
"You're hurt son? aMm just because my dick hurts doesn't mean I quit fricking."

Offline HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2011, 11:06:41 AM »
I just graduated two years ago and I'm not even going to be able to recognize the campus come football season.

I like the way they planted trees down Garland leading up to Maple street. Makes me wish I was going to college there. God I miss Fayetteville! :'(

Online chittlins

• Once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
  • Boar
  • It's a two sniff league
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2011, 11:12:50 AM »
Nope, it's the 10% rule. 

Arkansas offers those kids more prestige than North Texas and Sam Houston and we make it affordable by othering them in state tuition rates if they meet certain guidelines. If you get a percentage of them to stay in state and start their entrepenuerail here or better the talent pool to offer corporation looking to locate here, it's helping out the Arkansas as a whole. Look at how many NEAers never went back east after coming to school here.

Offline wmr

• Boar
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2011, 11:20:51 AM »
Fayetteville also represents a "real town" rather than another municipality in the mass of giant subdivisions in North Texas.

If I was in Texas, and couldn't get into UT or A&M, Arkansas would be an attractive choice whether my family had any ties here or not.

Fayetteville >> Norman.

Offline ^_^

• A Shoat
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2011, 11:40:25 AM »
I like the way they planted trees down Garland leading up to Maple street. Makes me wish I was going to college there. God I miss Fayetteville! :'(

Yes, it was definitely the best 4 (er...5) years of my life.

Good things are happening up on the hill.  Not only are sports on the rise, but academics are as well.  Mark my words:  within 10 years the UofA will be a consensus top-25 school in a majority of its departments.

I just wish there was more tech companies in NWA so I didn't have to move to DFW to find a job.

Offline HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2011, 11:47:01 AM »

I just wish there was more tech companies in NWA so I didn't have to move to DFW to find a job.

Right with you brother. :thumbup:

Offline ColdPork

• Boar
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »
Right with you brother. :thumbup:

I think the year I graduated, about 60% of all grads got their jobs in Texas

Offline Hogtired

• Boar
Re: Record enrollment official - 21,406 on campus in Fayetteville Fall 2010
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2011, 12:08:54 PM »
that's the problem.  too many people trying to park right in the middle of campus.  lot 56 is almost deserted, but no, lazy assholes don't want to ride the bus, then complain when they cant find a spot.  #soapbox

I had this conversation with my son his freshman year. He ended up leaving his ride at his sisters and used a scooter. Never heard another peep about it.
AYFSM?

Online Boar Bidet

• Swahili Steve
  • King of the Hogs
  • Formerly known as Swahili Steve
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2011, 01:10:03 PM »
that's the problem.  too many people trying to park right in the middle of campus.  lot 56 is almost deserted, but no, lazy assholes don't want to ride the bus, then complain when they cant find a spot.  #soapbox
and the snobby girls like my sister don't wanna ride the bus.  she is trying to find a small apartment for next fall since she lacks one more semester to graduate.  She kept ranting about how even if she lives in some apartments on leverett behind the Kappa house, she'll still have to walk a ways.  I mentioned taking the bus and she looked at me as if I was crazy. 

Don't all freshmen currently have to park down by the baseball field?  That's basically like not having a car because who wants to walk all that ways when they can catch a free bus everywhere.

frick the skipper.  That turd rancher fits in at a homosexual nude nursing home, and nobvillehomeofthedregsand

Offline HogofWar

• Boar
  • Tits Out, Captain.
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »
and the snobby girls like my sister don't wanna ride the bus.  she is trying to find a small apartment for next fall since she lacks one more semester to graduate.  She kept ranting about how even if she lives in some apartments on leverett behind the Kappa house, she'll still have to walk a ways.  I mentioned taking the bus and she looked at me as if I was crazy. 

Don't all freshmen currently have to park down by the baseball field?  That's basically like not having a car because who wants to walk all that ways when they can catch a free bus everywhere.

It is funny that the parking garages around the UofA, especially the ones closest to the Stadium have never been to aleviate the parking problems. The garages were just to accomodate ticket holders($$$) to Football and Basketball games.

I was in one of the greatest shapes in college when I lived off campus and either walked to campus or took the bus when I lived at THE College Park apartments. The only time I drove to campus for class, was my last semester when I had senior design class for six hours and stayed after to work on my project or study. I was parking on the West side of Razorback stadium.

Sounds like some of these people like your sister want to look like the majority who pose for "People of Wal-Mart" when they leave college.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
  • That's the way baseball go
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2011, 01:27:44 PM »
Fayetteville also represents a "real town" rather than another municipality in the mass of giant subdivisions in North Texas.

If I was in Texas, and couldn't get into UT or A&M, Arkansas would be an attractive choice whether my family had any ties here or not.

Fayetteville >> Norman.

Some people just don't want to be Aggies, the culture is weird.  I don't want my kid to be one.  UT is such a good school that even though I grew up hating it I have to respect their academics. 

Fayetteville>Norman>Lubbock

I can't tell you how many families around here in Arlington that have kids looking at UA, it's a lot.

Offline wmr

• Boar
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »
I never had a parking pass in four years.  Always rode the bus or walked.  Pay a little more to live near campus, and you can walk to the bars, too.  Starkville I did that before there was a fancy hiking trail.

Offline wmr

• Boar
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2011, 02:08:41 PM »
Found the McIlroy Hill renderings:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:13:44 PM by wmr »

Offline ^_^

• A Shoat
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2011, 02:12:40 PM »
Some people just don't want to be Aggies, the culture is weird.  I don't want my kid to be one.  UT is such a good school that even though I grew up hating it I have to respect their academics. 

Fayetteville>Norman>Lubbock

I can't tell you how many families around here in Arlington that have kids looking at UA, it's a lot.

There are more than a handful of people here in Irving that have mentioned their kids looking into the UofA.  Every single one of them that have made the time to come visit have walked away impressed.  The academics are comparable to any university in the country in my opinion.  I dare say I learned more and had better relationships with my undergraduate professors in Fayetteville than I do getting my graduate degree from a more nationally "renown" university.

...and academics aside, anybody who isn't won over by the UofA after the wonderful drive up 540 once you hit Fort Smith simply doesn't have a soul.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.546 seconds with 22 queries.