Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enrollment, campus growth  (Read 98323 times)

Offline Turd F.

• Token Coonass
  • Boar
Re: Enrollment, campus growth
« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »
This may have already been posted, but here is a rendering of the proposed addition to Vol Walker Hall.

Steven L. Anderson Design Center

It's ugly as Starkville and sticks out like a sore thumb. It will fit in about as well as Kimpel does. 

Online PigHair

• Boar
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2011, 06:43:35 PM »
This may have already been posted, but here is a rendering of the proposed addition to Vol Walker Hall.

Steven L. Anderson Design Center

That looks similar to the Clinton Presidential Mobile Home.

Offline Shermy

• #thicke UTV
  • Boar
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2011, 06:45:33 PM »
And the clubhouse at Blessings

Offline HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • Boar
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2011, 08:45:22 PM »
It will fit in about as well as Kimpel does. 

I assumed everyone would realize the sarcasm of my post. 
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him.

Offline Snowman Slayer

• Irreplaceably Irrelevant
  • Boar
  • The Man, The Myth, The Legend
« Reply #179 on: May 13, 2011, 09:04:18 PM »
I love how the university has no building theme at all, you can see buildings from every decade mashed together.  In 100 years there will be the new english auditorium that will be a floating building attached to the ground by chains and to enter you have to climb up a rope ladder.  It will be placed right next to the 40s stone engineering hall and the refurbished architecture building covered in leopard print.

Offline Tanny Bogus

• Haunting Wickes since the mid-50's
  • Boar
  • Longtime Fan of Randolph Mantooth
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2011, 09:19:33 PM »
It's a monument to an ego

Offline APhiOHog

• My little fairy tale book is better than yours.
  • King of the Hogs
  • Bloozocky.
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2011, 10:17:24 PM »
This is much ado about nothing.

The architecture building on any major campus is always a stand-out.  It's always some wacky aMm. 

It's the ARCHITECTURE building, for Christ's sake.  They aren't just going to sit there and make it look like every other fricking building on campus.

Get a brain, morans.

Offline Ham Malone

• Tush Hog
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »
This is much ado about nothing.

The architecture building on any major campus is always a stand-out.  It's always some wacky aMm. 

It's the ARCHITECTURE building, for Christ's sake.  They aren't just going to sit there and make it look like every other fricking building on campus.

Get a brain, morans.
They don't have to intentionally make it look like aMm, especially when its right next to the main landmark of campus
819 F.2d 451

Offline APhiOHog

• King of the Hogs
  • Bloozocky.
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2011, 10:43:46 PM »
They don't have to intentionally make it look like aMm, especially when its right next to the main landmark of campus

Again - that's just like, your opinion, man.  It's architecture.  It's "design."  Drawing up wacky aMm is what they do.

Get over yourselves.

Offline Ham Malone

• Tush Hog
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »
Again - that's just like, your opinion, man.  It's architecture.  It's "design."  Drawing up wacky aMm is what they do.

Get over yourselves.
They don't have to follow any design standards, but that would look absolutely awful right in the center of campus.  Vol Walker is a beautiful building, no reason to attach a disaster to it just because an architecture building should be modern.  Take that aMm to the outskirts of campus. 
819 F.2d 451

Offline APhiOHog

• King of the Hogs
  • Bloozocky.
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2011, 10:59:35 PM »
They don't have to follow any design standards, but that would look absolutely awful right in the center of campus.  Vol Walker is a beautiful building, no reason to attach a disaster to it just because an architecture building should be modern.  Take that aMm to the outskirts of campus.  

Once AGAIN - your "opinion" of it being a "disaster, "awful," "aMm," etc. is basically worthless here.  As is mine, for that matter.  I have nofaking clue what rates as "good" as it comes to architecture or design.  The building could very well be horribly designed.  But I can't knowledgeably say so one way or the other.  I can say with some certainty that it's fricking stupib to just categorically rate it as "horrible" without one iota of knowledge of architecture/design/art, etc.

If it's what the "cool [architecture] kids" are doing nowadays and the students dig it and it brings in more smart folks to do the architecture program, I'm all for it.  And so should you be.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2011, 12:30:54 AM »
"Egad, this soup tastes terrible!"

"What do you know, you've never been to culinary school."

"It sucks.  I've tasted soup before.  Good soup.  This is bloody awful."

"You're not qualified to make that judgment.  Not even I know whether the soup taste good."

"Well, take my word for it; this is lousy soup. [/i]

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline Clark

• Putting my Kools out on your floor.
  • King of the Hogs
  • UPGRAYEDD. Two D's for a double dose of pimpin'.
« Reply #187 on: May 14, 2011, 08:36:16 AM »
Once AGAIN - your "opinion" of it being a "disaster, "awful," "aMm," etc. is basically worthless here.  As is mine, for that matter.  I have nofaking clue what rates as "good" as it comes to architecture or design.  The building could very well be horribly designed.  But I can't knowledgeably say so one way or the other.  I can say with some certainty that it's fricking stupib to just categorically rate it as "horrible" without one iota of knowledge of architecture/design/art, etc.

If it's what the "cool [architecture] kids" are doing nowadays and the students dig it and it brings in more smart folks to do the architecture program, I'm all for it.  And so should you be.
Clashing designs is not good architecture. And when everyone hates something, then it sucks.
The iconic 'alien' is to us what we are to apes: small, pale, big headed, and with unfathomable technology. We even abduct them for medical experiments. Mind blown.
--Rage

Offline Ham Malone

• Tush Hog
« Reply #188 on: May 14, 2011, 12:04:12 PM »

Alright that is a good point about drawing in more students for the program. 
819 F.2d 451

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #189 on: May 14, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »
If it is to draw more students in who will build that kind of aMm, I say pass. 

Offline HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • Boar
« Reply #190 on: May 14, 2011, 02:22:47 PM »
Alright that is a good point about drawing in more students for the program. 

Last time I checked, the program was turning people away. 

The problem with the building isn't the form, it's the surroundings.  When they built Old Main, the campus was a blank canvas, but since then, it isn't.  The same kind of thinking that would produce this was what led to some of the other abominations.  Someone mentioned that the campus has no theme, and it's true.  Many designers have ignored what came before them, and plunked down whatever suited them.

It's like someone took dice with six styles and rolled them... and didn't get a Yahtzee.  That doesn't mean that just because Old Main is Second Empire style that all the buildings have to look alike, but using something similar, like Vol Walker being Gothic Revival, makes sense.  Also, a campus with as much space and elevation change as Arkansas can use that to create different areas with unique character.  Kind of like fraternity row, which started (I assume) with the Greek Revival constructions only to have the "googie" HPER and Barnhill built across the street.   

In all, they could have had a better master plan.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him.

Offline ArkGuy

• King of the Hogs
« Reply #191 on: May 14, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »
If that Death Star were built on the edge of campus, it stil wouldn't be my cup of tea but I wouldn't begrude some architect the chance to make his weird statement.  Some people go for the space age look.  Remember what the original version of the alumni building at Maple & Razorback looked like?  Somebody with a college degree actually thought that was a good idea.

But planned as it is, attached like a metal appendage to a very traditional (and good looking) Vol Walker and crammed in close proximity to an even older -- and iconic  -- building like Old Main, is definitely, as someone said above, a monument to somebody's ego.  It doesn't fit the space in any way, shape, or form.
"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am an influential and respected man."

Offline sainthog

• A Shoat
  • 77/88
« Reply #192 on: May 14, 2011, 07:42:44 PM »
while we have all the construction workers on campus, BOWL IN THE fricking STADIUM

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Supersonic sleeping bag.
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #193 on: May 14, 2011, 11:57:41 PM »
We do have a bunch of mismatched buildings.  I always thought it was due to us having an architect program.

Offline APhiOHog

• King of the Hogs
  • Bloozocky.
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2011, 12:11:34 AM »
Clashing designs is not good architecture. And when everyone hates something, then it sucks.

I'm sorry - I wasn't aware 10 dudes on woopig were the world arbiters of good taste.   :abe:

Not that you or anyone else doesn't have every right to think it's an ugly building.  I'm not a huge fan, myself.  And yes, like Animal, I wish it would be somewhere else besides Old Main.  But, as HogTat mentioned, it's not like there's any universal style on the UofA campus anyway.  And I've visited several campuses that were more architecturally consistent - but they've all got at least one wacky-looking building somewhere on campus, and it's always the architecture/design/art folks.  And I think it's being terribly shortsighted to just write it off as a debacle when we don't know what benefit it might have to the architecture program.  I'm sure it will be full of new expensive toys for those guys to play with.  I would assume a major goal in its design is its use as a recruiting tool.  That's all I'm saying.

Offline HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • Boar
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2011, 02:07:16 AM »
We do have a bunch of mismatched buildings.  I always thought it was due to us having an architect program.

Not really, but the reason you had those undulating walkways between Mullins and the Union was because we have an LA program.

I'm sorry - I wasn't aware 10 dudes on woopig were the world arbiters of good taste.   :abe:

Good taste isn't the issue, it's about good design.  If you design in a vacuum with no account of the surroundings, you can have an incredible structure that simply doesn't fit.  It's the same with interiors of buildings and outdoor space. 

Not that you or anyone else doesn't have every right to think it's an ugly building.  I'm not a huge fan, myself.  And yes, like Animal, I wish it would be somewhere else besides Old Main.  But, as HogTat mentioned, it's not like there's any universal style on the UofA campus anyway.  And I've visited several campuses that were more architecturally consistent - but they've all got at least one wacky-looking building somewhere on campus, and it's always the architecture/design/art folks.  And I think it's being terribly shortsighted to just write it off as a debacle when we don't know what benefit it might have to the architecture program.  I'm sure it will be full of new expensive toys for those guys to play with.  I would assume a major goal in its design is its use as a recruiting tool.  That's all I'm saying.

I hear you, but I'm not sure the school actually recruits.  It might draw interest, but it's not like that's going to make the big difference.  U of A had, and may still have, a notable program, but that's more about the teaching skills and alumni, like Fay Jones.  The reputation is the big seller, even if new toys are cool.  If your a Sullivan "form follows function" believer, you'd want to know the actually use of the building.  The little 4th floor is a bit perplexing, but there are some nice views from the roof of Vol Walker, so who knows. 

It's not really the style of building I like, but in the right setting it could be okay.  Once you're past Vol Walker and the Chem and Ag buildings, it kind of starts to hodgepodge anyway.  I just think this would make it worse.  I know they were expanding Mullins, does it look like that at all?  It could be an idea someone had to transition the two buildings.

Offline DRYANKNPULL

• Supersonic sleeping bag.
  • Administrator
  • King of the Hogs
« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2011, 07:42:51 PM »
When you say not really, do you mean that we don't have a bunch of mix matched buildings or that I haven't for years thought it was because we have an architecture school?

Offline cooter

• Boar
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »
Not really, but the reason you had those undulating walkways between Mullins and the Union was because we have an LA program.

Good taste isn't the issue, it's about good design.  If you design in a vacuum with no account of the surroundings, you can have an incredible structure that simply doesn't fit.  It's the same with interiors of buildings and outdoor space. 

I hear you, but I'm not sure the school actually recruits.  It might draw interest, but it's not like that's going to make the big difference.  U of A had, and may still have, a notable program, but that's more about the teaching skills and alumni, like Fay Jones.  The reputation is the big seller, even if new toys are cool.  If your a Sullivan "form follows function" believer, you'd want to know the actually use of the building.  The little 4th floor is a bit perplexing, but there are some nice views from the roof of Vol Walker, so who knows. 

It's not really the style of building I like, but in the right setting it could be okay.  Once you're past Vol Walker and the Chem and Ag buildings, it kind of starts to hodgepodge anyway.  I just think this would make it worse.  I know they were expanding Mullins, does it look like that at all?  It could be an idea someone had to transition the two buildings.

Damn hogtat, just when I thought you were just an average redneck, you come off looking like you know what you are talking about.   :beer:

Offline HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • Boar
« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2011, 11:35:42 PM »
When you say not really, do you mean that we don't have a bunch of mix matched buildings or that I haven't for years thought it was because we have an architecture school?

The latter, as all the buildings have been designed by outside firms, even if they are mainly from the area.  I know Fay Jones did the fountain behind Old Main, but I can't recall hearing of any other alumni doing designs.  

Nevermind.  ISWYDT   O0

Damn hogtat, just when I thought you were just an average redneck, you come off looking like you know what you are talking about.   :beer:

Thanks, I think...  

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2011, 12:01:25 AM »
the Mullins addition is something similar to this:

Looks like they will flatten out that quad area and make it more of a lawn.
LSU fans are tres gauche.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 20 queries.