Welcome, Guest! Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enrollment, campus growth  (Read 98655 times)

Offline Rob

• King of the Hogs

On a personal note, my kid was "provisionally" accepted by A&M and Texas (ranked in 12% of her class of over 500), so she took the out-of-state waiver to go to Arkansas (thank you, God!).  After 5 semesters, she's made the Dean's List three times, is on track for her second Chancellor's List, and is on schedule to graduate in 4 years.  I' really glad she carried on the family tradition on The Hill, but I'm confident she would have done just fine at UT or A&M.  Their loss, so :bird:
Congrat's. You have done a fine job my friend.  Texas' loss is definately Arkansas' gain.   :thumbup:

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs

Just shows you can't make everyone happy.  Few years back folks were complaining that the UA was too selective, now they're not selective enough.

I do know that this year the competition for scholarships at the UA was intense.  There are a bunch of kids that in previous years would've been guaranteed a big scholarship that this year will get nothing.

Selectivity is overrated.  The difficulty getting in is not as important as the difficulty getting out.

Offline Aporkalypse_Now

• King of the Hogs
  • That's the way baseball go
Some thoughts on this thread:

1.  The 10% (now 8%) thing IS a big deal.  Texas and aTm are both tough to get into and kids have been left out because of the rule.  A lot of people consider Texas Tech, which is the butt of a lot of jokes, and other in-state schools as poor alternatives academically and would just well leave state if they get a reasonable deal.  Also, a lot of kids just don't want to go to aTm because of the odd traditions, etc.

2.  Arkansas has a decent reputation down here.  It's considered beautiful and scenic and doesn't have quite the same negative connotation Oklahoma does.  There are a lot of people with a parent from Arkansas or an uncle living there, etc that help.

3.  Gearhart and our admissions people spent the week  before the aTm game heavily recruiting in DFW and there was a nice article in the Star-Telegram about it I posted on here at the time.

4.  On the issue of selectivity, the problem for years was the freshmen retention and graduation rates that were among the lowest among our peers.  That is better now.

5.  The business school's an easy sell.

Offline Eleventy-First Fumble

• What the fuck is a
  • Tush Hog
  • binders of women
I'm one.

Offline Shermy

• #thicke UTV
  • Boar

Offline jesus

• wackmessiah
  • Tush Hog

Selectivity is overrated.  The difficulty getting in is not as important as the difficulty getting out.

Damnit boy!  Just when I think I've got you all figured out, you go and let just a little bit of the Stuart Smalley you're hiding deep inside bubble up through all those layers of Sean Hannity you so proudly display on the outside.
Stir Good.  Puppy On Bottom!

www.detentionreport.com

Offline wmr

• Locally Grown, 100% Organic
  • King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
This article says UA expects 20,700 on campus in the fall.  Gettin damn near being a "big" school.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?aID=122476

Suzanne McCray, dean of admissions at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, said the university projects it will have 20,700 students in the fall, up from 19,842 in the fall of 2009.

They better start building some new dorms.

That's 1,000 more people to party with on Dickson, too.
LSU fans are tres gauche.

Offline HogTat

• It's in my nature
  • Boar
It's typically harder to get into Architecture school than other schools.

Speaking of that, does the UofA still hold a high ranking in that field?  I mean, just public opinion, I know I could look it up somewhere...  When I went in the early 80's it had a great reputation.  I applied to a half dozen that were in the top ten, got accepted first by Princeton (No full ride?  No way could I afford it.), then Minnesota (Can't get a partial hockey scholly?  frick you...), and then Arkansas.  Admissions was smart to have a young lady call me... the southern accent sold me!  I believe I made the right choice to this day.  There is nothing quite like walking by someone in bum-frick Egypt wearing Hog gear and doing an impromptu Hog Call...   :beer:
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him.

Offline BoarlissWilliamson

• Boar
  • Infected with the brain eating amoeba since 2006
Speaking of that, does the UofA still hold a high ranking in that field?  I mean, just public opinion, I know I could look it up somewhere...  When I went in the early 80's it had a great reputation.  I applied to a half dozen that were in the top ten, got accepted first by Princeton (No full ride?  No way could I afford it.), then Minnesota (Can't get a partial hockey scholly?  frick you...), and then Arkansas.  Admissions was smart to have a young lady call me... the southern accent sold me!  I believe I made the right choice to this day.  There is nothing quite like walking by someone in bum-frick Egypt wearing Hog gear and doing an impromptu Hog Call...   :beer:

I don't know about the architecture school's ranking, but I think most people consider it to be one of the best schools at the UA.  I feel it is the toughest program at the UA.

Offline copenhaWgen

• Wild Hog
  • Satisfied since 1986
Arkansas is increasingly, and noticeably, on more kids' radar screens in Texas.  I have been surprised at how many kids I know of right here in Flower Mound alone have enrolled or are preparing to enroll at the UofA.  The new Texas "top 8%" law, coupled with tuition deregulation since 2003, has really fricked a lot of good kids here in the ass.  And many of those kids and their parents are finally 'discovering' Arkansas.

Offline papermill

• King of the Hogs

Damnit boy!  Just when I think I've got you all figured out, you go and let just a little bit of the Stuart Smalley you're hiding deep inside bubble up through all those layers of Sean Hannity you so proudly display on the outside.

Blame Georgia Tech for that one.  Nobody graduates, they "get out".

Offline Shermy

• #thicke UTV
  • Boar
I don't know about the architecture school's ranking, but I think most people consider it to be one of the best schools at the UA.  I feel it is the toughest program at the UA.

It's definitely the toughest program. Not even close.

Offline Sus-Scrofa

• King of the Hogs
It's definitely the toughest program. Not even close.

Hey now, my history/poly sci degree was pretty challenging...

:rofl:

Offline bigghurtt

• Sockpuppet of an angry god
  • King of the Hogs
Am I crazy, or is this great news for our athletic program?  I mean, a generation from now, that should be 1,000 more potential boosters for just this class, right?
This next post was made by a real dumbass.

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
This is just the start of a larger alumni base.  Given the new lottery scholarship impact, I expect we'll see rapid growth for at least the next 5 years.  I wouldn't be surprised if we pass 25k students within 3-4 years.

Our endowment should grow to over $1 billion in that timeframe as well.  We are already 3rd in the SEC, behind only Vanderbilt and UF.

Offline Return of the Hogi

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
I cant see how increasing enrollment wont benefit the UA.  frick admission difficulty, for the moment anyway.  The lottery scholarship is opportunity.  Grow first, increase prestige later when you figure out exactly what your maximum census can be given the number of applicants.  I think having the goal of being a highly presitgious public university is a goal that is not even in the best interest of the UA anyway.  I think the best goal is to be as large as you possibly can be while also retaining a tier one ranking nationally.  We dont need the prestige of UF or Tejas.  We could get it, but it would cost us in other areas that are not worth the sacrifice. 

The more alumni and students the bigger the fanbase, stadium, student section, endowment, etc.  Nothing bad comes from that.  Nothing bad comes from educating a kid with a 23 ACT and 3.2 high school GPA.  Arkansas needs those people to get degrees.  I dont think it is out of the question to get 30,000 of them in the next 10 years.  Increase the infrastructure and enrollment up to 25-30k and then start worrying about prestige.  The iron is hot now with the lottery to add the kids.  Do it and worry about being more selective once you already have the applications because their friends and older bros/sisters are enrolled.   

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
We already only accept something like 57% of applicants.  That's not super selective, but its a damn sight more selective than a lot of the SEC.

Offline Extra Point

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
This is just the start of a larger alumni base.  Given the new lottery scholarship impact, I expect we'll see rapid growth for at least the next 5 years.  I wouldn't be surprised if we pass 25k students within 3-4 years.

Our endowment should grow to over $1 billion in that timeframe as well.  We are already 3rd in the SEC, behind only Vanderbilt and UF.

Where have you seen us ranked 3rd in the SEC?  In the most recent NACUBO Endowment Study, we were nationally ranked 93rd behind Vanderbilt (21st), Florida (55th), Alabama (74th) and Kentucky (83rd).  Bama was up $170MM on us.

The net assets of the UofA Foundation was $562.5MM at the end of FY2009 (6/30/09) per the audited statements on their website.  With the current student enrollment growth rate necessitating more capital spending, we are going to need some more huge gifts from people like the Walton Family Foundation to make it past the $1 billion mark in the next 3-4 years.

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
Hmm..  In a ranking in 2008, I'm positive we were right at 900 million, with UF being slightly above 1 billion, and Vany being 3-4 billion.

I guess the investments crapped out bigtime when the market crashed.

Offline Extra Point

• A Shoat
  • woopig.net
Hmm..  In a ranking in 2008, I'm positive we were right at 900 million, with UF being slightly above 1 billion, and Vany being 3-4 billion.

I guess the investments crapped out bigtime when the market crashed.

Foundation F/S's had the net assets at $694MM as of 6/30/08, but the NACUBO study listed $858.8MM.  They have to be using more than just the UofA-Fayetteville campus endowment in their study.  IIRC, we we have never been higher than 5th in the SEC.

The student enrollment growth is nice, but we also have to keep raising BIG bucks to build more classrooms, dorms, parking garages, etc.  The State actually cut their budget funding to the UofA this year which puts even more pressure on the system.  If the enrollment growth is coming primarily from out-of-state kids paying in-state tuition rates, it puts even more burden on the Arkansas taxpayers and will fuel more tuition hikes.

Offline wmr

• King of the Hogs
  • (.) (.)
Where have you seen us ranked 3rd in the SEC?  In the most recent NACUBO Endowment Study, we were nationally ranked 93rd behind Vanderbilt (21st), Florida (55th), Alabama (74th) and Kentucky (83rd).  Bama was up $170MM on us.

The net assets of the UofA Foundation was $562.5MM at the end of FY2009 (6/30/09) per the audited statements on their website.  With the current student enrollment growth rate necessitating more capital spending, we are going to need some more huge gifts from people like the Walton Family Foundation to make it past the $1 billion mark in the next 3-4 years.

I was foiled by Wiki.  According to this article, the Fayetteville campus endowment was nearly a billion recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Arkansas_System

Offline Count Porkula

• Mayor
  • King of the Hogs
  • frick Him!
The caveat is that I know Vandy is a private school

There was an article in the Chronicle this morning that said 10 people make more than 1mm a year at Vandy.  Johnson and Stallings are two of the ten, and they are at the bottom of the list.  Our legislators piss and moan at some of our guys making 140k. They also bitch about GA's teaching classes.  With record enrollment we should be increasing salaries for faculty and staff not holding them.  The UofA is losing faculty left and right because of state interference.  This will lead to more GA's teaching with lesser salaries.  Our elected officials are truly doing nothing to help Higher Ed in this state and we will continue to see diminishing returns.  Pissed off students and parents is no way to increase your endowment. 

And yes, the "billion" was for the entire system, not UAF. 
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline cooter

• Boar
The caveat is that I know Vandy is a private school

There was an article in the Chronicle this morning that said 10 people make more than 1mm a year at Vandy.  Johnson and Stallings are two of the ten, and they are at the bottom of the list.  Our legislators piss and moan at some of our guys making 140k. They also bitch about GA's teaching classes.  With record enrollment we should be increasing salaries for faculty and staff not holding them.  The UofA is losing faculty left and right because of state interference.  This will lead to more GA's teaching with lesser salaries.  Our elected officials are truly doing nothing to help Higher Ed in this state and we will continue to see diminishing returns.  Pissed off students and parents is no way to increase your endowment.  

And yes, the "billion" was for the entire system, not UAF.  

Throwing money at faculty does not make them teach better.  When in a time of fiscal concern, EVERYONE needs to cut back and pause before spending.

"The UofA is losing faculty left and right because of state interference."  Since you are going to throw out statements like that, you need to back them up with statistics.  

"Our elected officials are truly doing nothing to help Higher Ed in this state and we will continue to see diminishing returns."  You have no idea what you are talking about and sound like a liberal activist or a grad student.

"Pissed off students and parents is no way to increase your endowment."  WHAT pissed off students and parents???

Don't believe everything the Chronicle says.  It is obvious it has been edited by grad students for a couple of years now.

Offline Count Porkula

• Mayor
  • King of the Hogs
  • frick Him!
Throwing money at faculty does not make them teach better.  When in a time of fiscal concern, EVERYONE needs to cut back and pause before spending.

"The UofA is losing faculty left and right because of state interference."  Since you are going to throw out statements like that, you need to back them up with statistics.  

"Our elected officials are truly doing nothing to help Higher Ed in this state and we will continue to see diminishing returns."  You have no idea what you are talking about and sound like a liberal activist or a grad student.

"Pissed off students and parents is no way to increase your endowment."  WHAT pissed off students and parents???

Don't believe everything the Chronicle says.  It is obvious it has been edited by grad students for a couple of years now.

trust me, i do know what I'm talking about.  we've had nearly 30 faculty members quit for higher paying jobs in the last two weeks.  the UofA is not even funded at what the law (funding formula) says we should be funded at. we only receive 60% of what the law says we should get, but the simple fact is that we have WAY too many institutions in a state with our size population which is what reduces our funding. the flagship should be treated as such, not the same as UALR or ASU or UCA. 
Resonance...metal folding chairs or hard tile floors cannot be beaten when it comes to firing off a loud fart.

Offline cooter

• Boar
No other state agency was going to be given raises.  The UA could have done it if they wish because they make decision based on the board, not the governor.  The UA system was trying to be equitable because it would have really been bad for moral had faculty got raises and no one else did.  What they did should be commended.

NO school is completely funded at what the formula should be.  And people do not realize that these lottery scholarships do zilch, nada, for funding of higher ed institutions.  They all think that is money going right into the pockets of collleges.

In January, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they all got raises retroactively.

Also, just because enrollment increases by X percent, has NOTHING to do with how a school is funded.  In fact, schools have to come up with more adjuncts, classrooms, materials when enrollment goes up.  They are not given a penny more because of it.  Folks, your tuition dollars do NOT fund your schools.  It's some of the craziest math I have ever had to learn.

WOOPIG.NET   © 2014  Jackson Technologies

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 21 queries.